++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 24, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #25,276 of 29,490
I really like the HD650 warm, laid back treble and am a basshead - so the more bass the better. I have the La Figaro 339 Tube amp on the way. 

What is the next headphone no price limit upgrade I should go for? Recommendations? I want highest detailed warm sound with good bass thump.

Note: I'm thinking of Beyer T1? The tube amp will probably make it warm sounding, however will its bass punch be too anaemic for me? Any other options with best bass thump in HiFi world of headphones? LCD2 are too uncomfortable for me.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #25,277 of 29,490
KG Jag,

The HE 500s were already at the top of my list from my research before I posted in this thread, so I am glad you mentioned them. As far as comfort, could you quantify their comfort level compared to my SR80s and 600s? Also, amp power shouldn't be an issue, but I do want to keep the headphone price below $800 (looks like the 500s go for $700 new, so no problem there). If anyone else has a comment, please feel free to do so. Thanks.     

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #25,278 of 29,490
Thanks KG Jag, I've read the article a couple of times for my price range, i definitely think i'm leaning towards the Beyerdynamic and most likely will get the Dangerous Box.

Maybe one day i'll be able to get a flagship product (HD800 and SPL Phonitor)

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #25,281 of 29,490
Quote:
I really like the HD650 warm, laid back treble and am a basshead - so the more bass the better. I have the La Figaro 339 Tube amp on the way. 

What is the next headphone no price limit upgrade I should go for? Recommendations? I want highest detailed warm sound with good bass thump.

Note: I'm thinking of Beyer T1? The tube amp will probably make it warm sounding, however will its bass punch be too anaemic for me? Any other options with best bass thump in HiFi world of headphones? LCD2 are too uncomfortable for me.

The T1 is too bright for you.  Fact is that the cans on the very high end, are not going to be very far off neutral; certainly not in anything approaching even basshead lite territory.  The LCD-2 & 3 probably have the most bass in this elite and super elite class.

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #25,282 of 29,490
Quote:
KG Jag,

The HE 500s were already at the top of my list from my research before I posted in this thread, so I am glad you mentioned them. As far as comfort, could you quantify their comfort level compared to my SR80s and 600s? Also, amp power shouldn't be an issue, but I do want to keep the headphone price below $800 (looks like the 500s go for $700 new, so no problem there). If anyone else has a comment, please feel free to do so. Thanks.     

In terms of comfort, the HE 500 is different.  It has a firm clamp and good pads.  Being a planar, its biggest issue is its weight.

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #25,283 of 29,490
Quote:
KG Jag, I'm kind of curious as to which one you prefer. :p
DT800, HD650, or Q 701?

I assume you mean the DT 880.

If so, it's about the same as asking what is your favorite golf club.  Each does certain things better than the others.  The Q701 is the best value, but the other two are better for my tastes and to my ears.  If forced to pick, I'd probably go with the DT 880.  However, it bright headphones aren't your thing, the HD 650 is the way to go.

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #25,284 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
DT800, HD650, or Q 701?

If so, it's about the same as asking what is your favorite golf club.  Each does certain things better than the others.  The Q701 is the best value, but the other two better for my tastes and ears.  If forced to pick, I'd probably go with the DT 880.  However, it bright headphones aren't your thing, the HD 650 is the way to go.

Yeah I meant the DT880. And I see. I haven't heard the DT880 yet, but out of the other two, I prefer the Q 701; I find the HD650 a bit too laid-back for my liking.

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #25,285 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey which headphones are better? Panasonic RP-HTF600-S vs. JVC HARX700 vs. Audio-Technica ATH-M30 vs. Monoprice 8323 ?? I am willing to fork out 50 bucks if the can is worth it. Thanks a lot!!

If all you can spend is $50, use it on the Superlux HD668B.  However, be aware that some weak sister portable equipment and on board computer sound might not push it too well.

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #25,286 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
DT800, HD650, or Q 701?

If so, it's about the same as asking what is your favorite golf club.  Each does certain things better than the others.  The Q701 is the best value, but the other two better for my tastes and ears.  If forced to pick, I'd probably go with the DT 880.  However, it bright headphones aren't your thing, the HD 650 is the way to go.

Yeah I meant the DT880. And I see. I haven't heard the DT880 yet, but out of the other two, I prefer the Q 701; I find the HD650 a bit too laid-back for my liking.

Yup, most of it's a matter of which flavor you like best.  I like the K 702 65th Annies even better than the Q701, but it is quite a bit more expensive for a 4th version of basically the same can.

I very much like the way the HD 650 rocks when I pair it with the hybrid HiFiMan EF-5 amp.

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #25,287 of 29,490
The T1 is too bright for you.  Fact is that the cans on the very high end, are not going to be very far off neutral; certainly not in anything approaching even basshead lite territory.  The LCD-2 & 3 probably have the most bass in this elite and super elite class.

Ok fantastic - you sorted me out so easily - thanks.. So I should be looking at LCD2/3 and HE400s as a cheaper short term buy?... I thought HE400 as opposed to HE500 as it has bigger bass response and warmer sound - my thing. Am I on the right track? Any other headphones I should consider down the track? I finally feel as I am reaching the end of my HP journey - exciting stuff lol

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #25,288 of 29,490
Quote:

Ok fantastic - you sorted me out so easily - thanks.. So I should be looking at LCD2/3 and HE400s as a cheaper short term buy?... I thought HE400 as opposed to HE500 as it has bigger bass response and warmer sound - my thing. Am I on the right track? Any other headphones I should consider down the track? I finally feel as I am reaching the end of my HP journey - exciting stuff lol

The HE 500 is very neutral...and here's the great thing for me...they (treble, mids & bass) are all there.  Those who prefer a colored can, might be better off with the HE 400.  Be aware that there have been at least a couple versions (revisions) of the HE 400 and some say that the earlier one is darker that what came later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back