++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 19, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #24,991 of 29,490
Also, he does have some small expensive (£1000+) hearing aids,
he's asked me if having them in while wearing the headphones is a good idea

hopefully one of you guys knows

cheers in advance

Dave

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #24,992 of 29,490
Hello,
I've been searching for a good pair of headphones for weeks now, but finally decided to just join this community and ask for some advice.
First of all, I'm quite new to all of this, which means I don't currently own any good headphones, so far I've only been listening to my music on my speakers and some cheap Sennheiser headphones.
So, I'm looking for headphones primarily for piano, classical, orchestral, music with loads of vocals and that kind of music. I'm not really a basshead as far as I know, that doesn't mean bass must be absent. I think I'd like to try open headphones, as I will only be using them at home and like the idea of open headphones. This also means the headphones don't have to be portable at all, just comfortable and definitely over ear.
My budget is somewhere around €90, but less is fine too. I'm also willing to see if I can find some more expensive headphones secondhand.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I just got an offer to buy the HD 555's for €60, is that worth it and will it fit my needs?

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #24,993 of 29,490
Hi, I'm looking for a sub-bass set of cans with up-front mids and subdued recessed treble below $100.
I just bought Superlux HD662 and not impressed vs my in-ear Sony MDR-XB40EX which have superb lows even if it is fudged with the "missing whateveryoucallit"

Primary use DUB, EDM/IDM ,electro. Treble bites my head off so it would have to back there in the can.

I'm also thinking of buying digizoid.....running my Superlux through a custom altoid but I'm not digging the interference that seeps in.

Any tips on a bass monster can much much appreciated !

I'll never grow out of sub-bass.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #24,994 of 29,490
Hello again,

I recently bought a pair of HD 558, i think they're okay for the most part but i was thinking of returning them for a pair of HD 598.
Would the HD 598 give me an eargasm compared to the HD 558?, they sound good but they just don't give me what i was expecting out of them.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #24,995 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello again,

I recently bought a pair of HD 558, i think they're okay for the most part but i was thinking of returning them for a pair of HD 598.
Would the HD 598 give me an eargasm compared to the HD 558?, they sound good but they just don't give me what i was expecting out of them.

Probably not. Try to refrain from using such hyped-up language (eargasm, blow my mind, etc) that will guarantee a disappointment, especially for marginal upgrades like that.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #24,996 of 29,490
Quote:

Probably not. Try to refrain from using such hyped-up language (eargasm, blow my mind, etc) that will guarantee a disappointment, especially for marginal upgrades like that.

I know through the internet i can only get opinions, but that's all i can base my buys on because i don't have a store that lets me test headphones other than Best Buy.
Should i return these and buy another set for $200>?, Should i keep these?, i'm very lost here.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #24,997 of 29,490
Quote:
Just be sure he knows that these are factory refurbished.

I did notice that. With computers and other electronics, I've found that refurbs are as good as new. Should I be concerned about refurb headphones? I was just about to buy these!

I wanted to add that I am a little concerned about the weight and the "wings" on the ATH-A900x. However, I really like the range. Just what I was looking for! The other set I am considering is the Shure SRH750DJ. Any thoughts on these? On paper, they look better than the 840s

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #24,998 of 29,490
Quote:
$600 puts you just under the gateway to the very best, the HiFiMan HE 500, which normally goes for $699.  It also just falls short of the Shure SRH 1840, which can often be had for just a bit less.

A year to nine months ago, I would have recommended the now discontinued Denon D7000--or at least the D5000.  Since you've banned Grados (and presumptively Alessandros), that further limits your options at or near the top of your budget.

My fall back positions are the Beyer DT 880 600 Ohm (if the Magni will drive them) or 250 Ohm (if it won't), Audio Technica ATH-W1000X, Audio-Technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X ordered directly from Japan, or it predecessor, the ATH-AD2000.

Then again, you can save another $99...

Many thanks for the reply.
biggrin.gif

I placed $600 as the maximum budget as I would need to take into account these things:
1. Sales tax: 10%
2. Shipping from US to Malaysia: Minimum of $25
3. Conversion rate: 1USD = MYR3.1

So following this, for $600 spent, I guess I would have to pay around $700 or $800 which would be around MYR2100 - MYR2400 which should then be the maximum budget I am willing to spend.
I was actually planning to get the lower model Hifiman HE-400 as it has good reviews and a lot of people seem to like them. 
Another choice that I was considering would be the AKG Q701 and the Beyer DT880 600 ohm. I think the Magni is able to drive them. Just that it might not be as well driven as the 250 ohm version.
And plus, I don't think I want to use all of my budget. I just placed $600 so that I can get more suggestions. 
And one more thing, I didn't really banned the Grados. Just that I find them a bit uncomfortable. I think I might get myself the sr225i in the near future if I would like to rock my head to some guitar orientated music. But till then, the DR150 should suffice for rock. I think they do have an almost similar brightness as the lower end Grados except that the highs are a bit less aggressive. 
atsmile.gif

Thank you.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #24,999 of 29,490
=>xMythycle

The HD555's are a good pair of cans at the asking price.
When I borrowed my mates HD555's I found them to be very comfortable to wear and the sound is good for the price,
60 euros is a fairly good price and while there are better headphone out there the HD555's sound like they'll suit your needs.
(however people have complained about the build quality, I was borrowing them so I can't really talk about that)

Hope this helps

Dave

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #25,000 of 29,490
Quote:
=>xMythycle

The HD555's are a good pair of cans at the asking price.
When I borrowed my mates HD555's I found them to be very comfortable to wear and the sound is good for the price,
60 euros is a fairly good price and while there are better headphone out there the HD555's sound like they'll suit your needs.
(however people have complained about the build quality, I was borrowing them so I can't really talk about that)

Hope this helps

Dave

Thanks! I think I'll just await the pictures to check for the infamous cracks and other problems with it's build quality, and if all is good I'll take them.
If anyone thinks I'm making a mistake, please do tell me.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #25,001 of 29,490
Looking for Headphones for Music & Gaming.

Price Up to £300 (£250-80 as need clip on mic)
Music - All genres but i like voices to standout more than the music.
location - indoor only
setup - PC With ASUS Xonar STX (has built in headphone amp up to 600ohms)
sources - all music from CD in FLAC format.
gaming - dont need postional audio just good qaulity.
current - PC360 from sennhesier

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #25,002 of 29,490
Quote:
can someone do a comparison between ms1i , akg k242 and akg k240s ? really like the vintage look of the k242 and k240s . 

You'll have to find someone who has experience with all three.  I can only talk about the 1i and 240.

The 1i, although slightly toned down from its Grado siblings, is still a very forward, somewhat mids oriented, wall of sound & rock your world can.

The 240 is true to its studio heritage and provides a balanced rather neutral presentation.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #25,003 of 29,490
Quote:
An unusual request:

Does anybody know of a good set of cans for somebody suffering from hearing loss?

My Old Man (55yrs old) has asked me to source a good pair of headphones for him now that I've been tagged as the family audiophile (Thank you, Head-fi...)
he listens to a lot of classical, so detail with soundstage is needed, he also listens to a fair bit of classic rock as well, along with some jazz and the occasional 80's classic...
so whatever can sound good with thoses what he's after.

The cans are probably going to be worn at his desk, so comfort is needed.
He understands amps but for simplicity sake, a headphone that can be plugged straight into his computer or his phone would be ideal,
finally, it needs to be forgiving of lower quality tracks, as he often listens from youtube.

Cheers in advance

Dave

That calls for an informed opinion by a medical professional/audiologist who has examined your dad.  Sorry I can't help the young fellow.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #25,004 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,
I've been searching for a good pair of headphones for weeks now, but finally decided to just join this community and ask for some advice.
First of all, I'm quite new to all of this, which means I don't currently own any good headphones, so far I've only been listening to my music on my speakers and some cheap Sennheiser headphones.
So, I'm looking for headphones primarily for piano, classical, orchestral, music with loads of vocals and that kind of music. I'm not really a basshead as far as I know, that doesn't mean bass must be absent. I think I'd like to try open headphones, as I will only be using them at home and like the idea of open headphones. This also means the headphones don't have to be portable at all, just comfortable and definitely over ear.
My budget is somewhere around €90, but less is fine too. I'm also willing to see if I can find some more expensive headphones secondhand.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I just got an offer to buy the HD 555's for €60, is that worth it and will it fit my needs?

Yes--if they are in good shape.  Check for cracks.

The updated models in that line are now the HD 518, 558 & 598.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #25,005 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello again,

No--they are much more similar than they are different.  In fact they share the same drivers.

You might want to check the simple tape removal mod for the 558, if you want it to sound more like the 598.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back