++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 19, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #25,022 of 29,490
And the a900x.

Im almost sold on the SR225is because once upon a time, I had some sr80is. I returned them not because of the grado sound but because of the small amount of bass. R&B and hip hop werent enjoyable, but rock was great.

thanks in advance

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #25,023 of 29,490
Quote:
And the a900x.

Im almost sold on the SR225is because once upon a time, I had some sr80is. I returned them not because of the grado sound but because of the small amount of bass. R&B and hip hop werent enjoyable, but rock was great.

thanks in advance

As the 325is does not emphasize bass, the Momentum, that does, wins.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #25,024 of 29,490
Quote:
The Superlux HD668b is the better can and is your better choice if you stereo can push it.  It is slightly less efficient.

I assumed an A/V receiver would be able to drive ANY headphone. The stereo does fine with the Koss KSC75 and Philips SPH8500(which I'm selling). Do you think the HD681 and HD668 are both an improvement over the Philips? Thanks.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #25,026 of 29,490
Quote:

Recently, at a local mom-n-pop audiophile shop, I tried to buy the SR225 as enough reviewers felt the SR80 and '225 were the sweet spots in Grado's line. Unfortunately, the '225 was out of stock, and I was compelled to get the SR325is instead!

But, the '325 didn't have quite the bass I wanted for rock and R&B. (I don't have any hip-hop.) After EQ'ing in a ~3dB hump centered around 200Hz, the bass is now satisfying to my ears. Of course, that's nothing more than my opinion about how the bass register should sound.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #25,027 of 29,490
Have you heard both? The momentums seem to have slighty recessed mids plus the sr325is have (only from what I've heard) a much tighter and focused bass and have a much larger soundstage. Is what I said valid?

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #25,028 of 29,490
I'm fairly new to this scene.

A little background:

My first pair of quality headphones were the Shure 840s which have served me well for the past couple of years. On the go, I use a pair of in-ear Klipsch S4s. I mostly listen unamped since I don't think my headphones are hard to drive but I did purchase a portable Fiio E5 unit since it was cheap.

I was given a pair of Dre Beats Studio last year as a gift and these seemed vastly inferior to my Shure's for sound reproduction. I use them occasionally on the go for hip-hop and other bass heavy songs when the music isn't what I focus my attention on.

Now I'm looking to upgrade. I'm not looking for an incremental upgrade, but a significant upgrade. Ideally I'd like to get the best bang for my buck but budget isn't an issue.

I listen to a wide variety of genres including Classical, Electronic/Dance, Alternative, Hip-Hop so I'm looking to get a pair of headphones that are versatile.

I've been looking at the AKG-Q701, Sen HD650 and even the HD800. For an AMP/DAC ive been considering either a Fiio E17 alone or paired with the E09K desktop AMP depending on the headphones I purchase.

It seems like as I move up I get diminishing returns. If we imagine sound quality vs cost as a graph, I want to hit that point where I still get significant gains from my money just before the plateau occurs. I don't want to spend hundreds more for a very "small" improvement in quality that could be due to placebo or simply psychological compensation.

I'm also skeptical about "burn-in". I feel like it plays on "cognitive dissonance" - like you simply adapt and make do with what you purchased and enjoy it more (a well-studied and documented phenomenon). Having said all that, I'm still seeking opinion but what I'm really asking is what would you recommend that's significantly better and cost-effective - or are my Shure 840s already the plateau?

Thanks for reading my long-winded post!

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #25,029 of 29,490
Good day headfiers! looking for some help here. I am looking to upgrade headphones. Right now i have a pair of shure srh840's. and i love them to death! But i'm looking for something a little different. Right now i dont any amp or dac. That is another place where i need help. i want a pair of headphones, that is worth my money, that is fairly neuteral but maybe a little emphasis on the bass end. Budget is not a concern... to an extent. I dont wanna go off and buy any $1,500 set of cans. Really i want to get the most bang for my buck. But who doesnt? I'd would prefer open back. And an amp/dac recommendation would be great also. Thank you!

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #25,030 of 29,490
Quote:
Good day headfiers! looking for some help here. I am looking to upgrade headphones. Right now i have a pair of shure srh840's. and i love them to death! But i'm looking for something a little different. Right now i dont any amp or dac. That is another place where i need help. i want a pair of headphones, that is worth my money, that is fairly neuteral but maybe a little emphasis on the bass end. Budget is not a concern... to an extent. I dont wanna go off and buy any $1,500 set of cans. Really i want to get the most bang for my buck. But who doesnt? I'd would prefer open back. And an amp/dac recommendation would be great also. Thank you!

Maybe have a look at the Hifiman HE 400's. They have a warm sound with good bass and are relatively easy to drive i.e. you can get them to their full potential quite easily.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #25,031 of 29,490
I'm trying to decide between the Superlux HD668 and Panasonic HTF600, mainly for movies. Has anyone tried both of these, and how would you compare them? Which one has the most ear space and ear depth? Thanks.

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #25,032 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The Superlux HD668b is the better can and is your better choice if you stereo can push it.  It is slightly less efficient.

I assumed an A/V receiver would be able to drive ANY headphone. The stereo does fine with the Koss KSC75 and Philips SPH8500(which I'm selling). Do you think the HD681 and HD668 are both an improvement over the Philips? Thanks.

Have never heard the Phillips.

An A/V receiver should be fine, but then not all stereos (as you described your set-up) are powered by an A/V receiver.

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #25,033 of 29,490
Heya,

I'm still unsure as to what I should purchase?
I am new to the world of music/headphones, and I wish to know which headphones I could consider looking for.
I want a headphone that will last me for a long long time, without the need of wanting to upgrade.
I love all music genres, so does not matter if it is bass heavy, bass light etc.

Thanks,

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #25,034 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
As the 325is does not emphasize bass, the Momentum, that does, wins.

Have you heard both? The momentums seem to have slighty recessed mids

I have the 325is (which by the way is very bright) and have spent only limited time with the Momentum.  I like the Amperior much better.  I don't find the mids in the Momentum to be recessed.  My take on the Momentum is that is designed for a consumer market using portable devices and presents a pleasant sound signature with a little extra bass for the non audiophile step up market.  On the the other had the Amperior is a portable can aimed at audiophiles--better, clearer, less bassy, treble not rolled off and more neutral when compare to the Momentum .

This is worth a read:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/627587/sennheiser-momentum-review

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #25,035 of 29,490
Since I still haven't replaced my previous headphones (V-Jays), I would like some suggestions between the options below to finally buy something new:

- Beyerdynamic dt770
- KRK KNS-8400
- AKG k420

Obviously the 3rd choice is in a cheaper category, but if someone feels they're better value for money than the other 2 options,I will consider it.
I don't have any extreme sound preferences, I mostly listen to punk/ska/acoustic, I don't want something with too much bass or aggressive tremble. I also don't want thin (and cold) sound (my DBA-02 has that and I hate it, I'd rather listen to my old CX300). Also comfort and the abilty to sleep on them are big pluses.
Thanks in advance.

Oh, and if someone has some better alternatives to suggest within the same budget, feel free to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back