++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 5, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #24,301 of 29,490
I am looking for 2 pairs of Headphones.

1. Portable

2. Home Use.

For Home use i was looking at the Sony MDR R1, PSB M4U2 and the AKG K550. I noticed slight clamping issues with the PSB M4U2. I was wondering how the other 2 pairs of headphones compare in comfort and headband tightness?

For portable i narrowed it down to the V-Moda M-80s but before i buy them i was wondering how tight are they on my head compared to the PSB M4U2 (or Sennheiser 215 [there the only 2 i have tried for hours])? 

All Help will be appreciate. 

PS: if there is another pair of headphones someone thinks will be better in this range please recommend them. Note: Comfort is major and portable range is $200 max and Home use is around the price of the ones mentioned above (so $300)

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #24,302 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking for 2 pairs of Headphones.

1. Portable

2. Home Use.

For Home use i was looking at the Sony MDR R1, PSB M4U2 and the AKG K550. I noticed slight clamping issues with the PSB M4U2. I was wondering how the other 2 pairs of headphones compare in comfort and headband tightness?

For portable i narrowed it down to the V-Moda M-80s but before i buy them i was wondering how tight are they on my head compared to the PSB M4U2 (or Sennheiser 215 [there the only 2 i have tried for hours])? 

All Help will be appreciate. 

PS: if there is another pair of headphones someone thinks will be better in this range please recommend them. Note: Comfort is major and portable range is $200 max and Home use is around the price of the ones mentioned above (so $300)

Be aware that comfort is a most individual thing.  What we can usually tell you is what headphones each of us have found to have comfort issues and which ones are considered more or less comfortable to most--but not all--who have used them.  In than vein, many have had comfort issues with the M-80.

With regard to additional help in recommending cans, you'll have to tell us:

For your home use are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #24,305 of 29,490
Quote:
Be aware that comfort is a most individual thing.  What we can usually tell you is what headphones each of us have found to have comfort issues and which ones are considered more or less comfortable to most--but not all--who have used them.  In than vein, many have had comfort issues with the M-80.

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you think it would be a good idea to try them ? or would you go for another portable pair? The headphones i have tried and notice is very comfortable is the sennheiser 215 if you have tried them maybe you can compare to them? 

my  situation requires closed headphones although if the comfort is superior in open then i might consider it. 

I will be using my laptop to power the cans with no amp. (although i might be purchasing at the fiio e17 at a later date and maybe the fiio e9k aswell if its worth it to get the bundle) although until that happens it will be running off my macbook pro 13' 2012 model. another question if i connect the laptop to a 27' tv would i need to purchase the Fiio E9k bundle? how much would it improve the sound from the sony brivia 27' tv? 

Action movies which wouldnt really matter. Some jazz and metal. (i dont need much bass for what i listen too that is one of reasons why ue 6000 was knocked out) 

since the music wouldn't be on really high volumes i would probably just need something with good mids and lows.

everything minus techno, heavy metal and pop.

Hope that  information helps :) .. so basically it comes down to trying the headphones myself since all comfort would be different on each head? around where i live there is no places that demonstrate the sony MDR 1Rs or AKG K550s would Sennisier lower models would be equivalent in the build (if its build similar the comfort might be similar) Note: i own the sennisher 215 which i find 4/5 comfort if that helps

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #24,307 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Please answer questions 2, 4 & 5 from the list in the post just above yours.

Closed
Sound Card - X-Fi XtremeMusic
Flac
No idea
Rock/Metal

Cutting to the chase--you need to answer the question about preferred sound signature.  If you want cans that are bright and have strong bass presence, but at the expense of recessed mids (think guitars and vocals) then the M50 is probably for you.  I have not heard your Sony.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #24,308 of 29,490
Quote:
You might also want to check out the Ultrasone HiFi 780 or (with for more) the Pro 750 plus amp.

I have looked into the HiFi 780, but I'm not sure what amp would pair well with it and keep it under $200. I could get those and the Fiio e6 or even the e11 or GoVibe mini box if I stretch my budget a tiny bit. I was going to spend about $100 on headphones and buy the Hippo Cricri to go along with them because I've heard nothing but great things about the amp. Is there any specific reason the Ultrasone's are better than any of the sets I listed? 

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #24,309 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Do you think it would be a good idea to try them ? or would you go for another portable pair? The headphones i have tried and notice is very comfortable is the sennheiser 215 if you have tried them maybe you can compare to them? 

my  situation requires closed headphones although if the comfort is superior in open then i might consider it. 

I will be using my laptop to power the cans with no amp. (although i might be purchasing at the fiio e17 at a later date and maybe the fiio e9k aswell if its worth it to get the bundle) although until that happens it will be running off my macbook pro 13' 2012 model. another question if i connect the laptop to a 27' tv would i need to purchase the Fiio E9k bundle? how much would it improve the sound from the sony brivia 27' tv? 

Action movies which wouldnt really matter. Some jazz and metal. (i dont need much bass for what i listen too that is one of reasons why ue 6000 was knocked out) 

since the music wouldn't be on really high volumes i would probably just need something with good mids and lows.

everything minus techno, heavy metal and pop.

Hope that  information helps :) .. so basically it comes down to trying the headphones myself since all comfort would be different on each head? around where i live there is no places that demonstrate the sony MDR 1Rs or AKG K550s would Sennisier lower models would be equivalent in the build (if its build similar the comfort might be similar) Note: i own the sennisher 215 which i find 4/5 comfort if that helps

Yes--try them on and leave them on for as long as your longest listening session (if possible).  There is no substitute fro this in determining comfort--for you.

The lack of an amp knock out some excellent closed cans like the Shure SRH 940.  The affordable KRK KNS 8400 is an excellent can for those who don't crave bass and for most is extremely comfortable.  In full sized, also look at some Sonys like the MDR 7510 or MDR-ZX700/701ip or the CAL!  All well below your budget.

There are also some higher end portable cans that might perform double duty.  The Senn Amperior, Audio Technica ATHESW9A Portable Wooden Headphones and Beyer DT 1350 come to mind.

One more thing--a number of the cans included in your list, like the M80 have bassy signature.  While they are not true basshead cans some of them might well satisfy a basshead lite fan.  Just be aware of this.  If you do like cans a bit on the bassy side, you might also like the Senn Momentum.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #24,310 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
You might also want to check out the Ultrasone HiFi 780 or (with for more) the Pro 750 plus amp.

I have looked into the HiFi 780, but I'm not sure what amp would pair well with it and keep it under $200. I could get those and the Fiio e6 or even the e11 or GoVibe mini box if I stretch my budget a tiny bit. I was going to spend about $100 on headphones and buy the Hippo Cricri to go along with them because I've heard nothing but great things about the amp. Is there any specific reason the Ultrasone's are better than any of the sets I listed? 

Ultrasones are most like (but not the same as) the Grado than any closed cans I have heard--except they add more bass.  One of the advantages of the 780 is that it does not need an amp.

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #24,311 of 29,490
I need two pairs of headphones to replace my 10-year old Philips HP890 and a normal sony MDR earphones (not IEM).  Looking for something exactly like the 890 (or maybe another 890 if possible). Things I want from the new headphone are:

1. closed with good sound isolation. Will be using this in the house and don't want to disturb everyone else in the house.
2. Over-ear- I think over-ear is comfortable and has no sound leakage? Correct me if I'm wrong.
3. Must be very comfortable and not sweat. Local temperature is around 26-32C all year.
4. Priced $200/£150 or around there.
5. Must be able to handle wide range of music from classical to pop and also games.
6. Microphone unnecessary. I don't play online shooters though I do appreciate bass.

I tried finding headphones (with the similar price to the 890) and after adjusting for inflation it seems that headphone prices are like 3x the cost they were 10 years ago. So I have to be realistic about that. Currently I am hooking my pc through my hifi and that provide good sound though I have to be in the room to listen to stuff.

Next, I need a pair of earphone/headphone to use at work. I currently have a pair of Sony MDREX310LPB IEM. They have acceptable sound quality. However as they are IEM's they provide good isolation. I need to be able to hear background noise, though I don't want people to hear my music. I am able to do that now with some cheap sony earphones. Sound quality on those are not great but as I don't turn the volume on loud. I am able to hear the music and background noise if needed. Max price of this is around £50/$70. They too have to be comfortable, though unlike the headpones, I will not have them on 3 hours straight

Thank you for the recommendation

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #24,312 of 29,490
Quote:
Ultrasones are most like (but not the same as) the Grado than any closed cans I have heard--except they add more bass.  One of the advantages of the 780 is that it does not need an amp.

That's awesome that it doesn't need an amp. I didn't realize it was only 35 ohms. I'll see if I can demo some this weekend.

Anybody else have any input? 

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #24,313 of 29,490
hi every1. I want to buy new headphones and i am not sure what to buy, as i am a newbie, so what will you suggest me? my preferences would be :

1. closed with noise reduction, i often listen to music when i walk down the street so i dont want to hear buses, cars or anything else.
2. Over-ear - i hate in-ear headphones, and also i would like to be comfortable because i will use them a lot, and for long periods of time ( which means it will be great to be lightweight)
3. Price : $100-170
4. Must be able to handle rock, hip-hop and dubstep and also games( i mean headphones with a bit of more bass).
5. Microphone unnecessary. I don't play online shooters though I do appreciate bass.

This are some songs which i listen to , so you can make an idea of what i need them for :
Busta Rhymes - look at me now
Dub fx - love ne or not
Radiohead - Pyramid Song (Zeds Dead Illuminati Remix)
alan kepa - sar catele

and rock songs :) which i did not select one because i know you know what i am talking about ( NO soft rock :D )

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #24,315 of 29,490
Hi!

I'm looking for closed headphones that isolate well.
They should have atleast 3m(10ft) cable.

I wouldn't use them outside, just in my home.

I have Sennheiser HD-600 and Lehmann Audio Rhinelander as my main setup. But I need something that isolates when there is noise around me. (Airconditioning machine in the summer has quite loud sound).
Also when someone watches TV.

So to sum up:

1.ISOLATION
2.SQ (doesn't have to be as good as HD600)
3.Long cable (3m/10ft)
4.Price 0-500$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back