++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 6, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #24,316 of 29,490
What are you looking for?
Open circumaural headphones

What source will you be using?
Onboard laptop + Technics Stereo Amp

What is your budget?
$0-100 flexible

What will you be listening to?
Trance, House, Drum n bass, Drone/Chillout, Classical

What other factors are important to you?
Nice thick coloured sound (I already have modded HD280 for accurate clean sound). Ideally well extend bass and highs. Open design and good soundstage. Perhaps a little "fun"

What headphones have you looked at so far?

phillips HP 890 (now unavailble)
Phillips HP 910...
JVC HARX 700
JFC HARX 900

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #24,317 of 29,490
[size=10pt]Looking for a pair of phones for my first audio build.[/size]

[size=10pt]I’m going to be using the Creative Titanium HD card and possibly the Schiit Magni amp.[/size]

[size=10pt]I will be mostly using the setup for competitive online gaming FPS. [/size]
[size=10pt]My secondary use will be mostly mainstream music, Top 100, Tycho, Aphex Twins, some rap and classical. I pretty much listen to every [/size]
[size=10pt]genre besides country. Saying this, bass is decently important to me but as long as its present I should be happy.[/size]

Mic is not important to me as I will run an external.

[size=10pt]What are the recommendations for a set of phones? Wanting to spend under $300 new and im not scared to buy used(under $250) as long as they are in good shape.[/size]

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #24,318 of 29,490
Quote:
[size=10pt]Looking for a pair of phones for my first audio build.[/size]

[size=10pt]I’m going to be using the Creative Titanium HD card and possibly the Schiit Magni amp.[/size]

[size=10pt]I will be mostly using the setup for competitive online gaming FPS. [/size]
[size=10pt]My secondary use will be mostly mainstream music, Top 100, Tycho, Aphex Twins, some rap and classical. I pretty much listen to every [/size]
[size=10pt]genre besides country. Saying this, bass is decently important to me but as long as its present I should be happy.[/size]

[size=10pt]What are the recommendations for a set of phones? Wanting to spend under $300 new and im not scared to buy used as long as they are in good shape.[/size]

Beyerdynamic MMX-300

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #24,319 of 29,490
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum :)
I know almost nothing about headphones and that's why im posting this...
I'm looking for on/over ear headphones.The most important thing for me is to have good highs, mids and an average bass.Also i want them to have good isolation (closed type) and be comfortable because i listen to music like 10 hours per day.If it has all of the above then i don't really  care if it looks ugly or anything else like this.Finally my budget is up to 50EUR/43GBP/67USD .I suppose that i can afford going a little bit over the budget assuming i will find the headphones you'll suggest me in a good bargain on amazon!
Thanks in advance

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #24,320 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi!

I'm looking for closed headphones that isolate well.
They should have atleast 3m(10ft) cable.

I wouldn't use them outside, just in my home.

I have Sennheiser HD-600 and Lehmann Audio Rhinelander as my main setup. But I need something that isolates when there is noise around me. (Airconditioning machine in the summer has quite loud sound).
Also when someone watches TV.

So to sum up:

1.ISOLATION
2.SQ (doesn't have to be as good as HD600)
3.Long cable (3m/10ft)
4.Price 0-500$

Shure SRH 940 or AKG K 550--with 9' cord (provided you can get a good seal).

The Audio Technica ATH-W1000X is also worth a look, but may not isolate to the level you want.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #24,321 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum :)
I know almost nothing about headphones and that's why im posting this...
I'm looking for on/over ear headphones.The most important thing for me is to have good highs, mids and an average bass.Also i want them to have good isolation (closed type) and be comfortable because i listen to music like 10 hours per day.If it has all of the above then i don't really  care if it looks ugly or anything else like this.Finally my budget is up to 50EUR/43GBP/67USD .I suppose that i can afford going a little bit over the budget assuming i will find the headphones you'll suggest me in a good bargain on amazon!
Thanks in advance

The Sony MDR-ZX700 can be had by/through Amazon (US) for $84 new or $60 "like new".

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #24,322 of 29,490
Alright, so I'll try to be very specific on what I'll use these for to hopefully not waste you guys time. I've never owned a really nice pair of headphones but I love music and would like to get the most out of what I have.

Price Range:
$300 is pretty much my max. I'd prefer around $250 but if there's a big enough benefit I'm willing to pay.

Use:
I'll be using these for everyday wear. So; walking to classes, studying, plane rides, and just relaxing. I'd like full ear headphones as they're the most comfortable on my ears and isolate a bit better. Sadly, they need to be closed since I'm around other people quite a bit. I'll also be using these to do some gaming when I don't need a mic. I wouldn't mind a nice degree of noise-cancelling but it's secondary to quality sound. It would also be a HUGE benefit for them to be sturdy and have a case since I'll be carrying them around in a bookbag all day.

My Music:
I listen to almost everything but what I really want these to do well at is prog rock/metal: bands like Symphony X, Dream Theater, Opeth, Genesis, etc. And Orchestral, think Yanni, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Bach, etc. I like rock, and some pop/rap but I'd really like to have a pair that will excel with the prog and classical genre.

I know that these are 2 different styles and I may be better off from a technical standpoint getting 2 different pairs. Realistically though, I change what I'm listening to several times throughout the day so that's not practical at the moment. Oh, And I have no problem with something that needs a small amp for optimal performance.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #24,323 of 29,490
[size=10.5pt]Noob here. Looking for feedback: Ready to jump (well more like baby step) into this audiophile world and looking for feedback. I posted before but didn't hear anything so I refined my post a little. Thanks.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Music genres:[/size][size=10.5pt] I'd say 40% R&B, 30% Hip Hop, 30% Rock/Folk/Jazz (female vocal)/Alternative/other.  [/size]
[size=10.5pt]Portable:[/size][size=10.5pt] This is good but not a must. Mainly will be in the house at computer etc.[/size]
[size=10.5pt]Price range:[/size][size=10.5pt] up to $200, but getting antsy and ready to pull trigger asap so at 100-150 I can do now but willing to wait if it will make huge difference. [/size]
[size=10.5pt]Source: Iphone4, Ipad2, computer. No amp (yet, but probably Fiio e17 soon…I’ll take feedback on that too if you have any). I'm settled on closed headphones for this first purchase....[/size]
[size=10.5pt]Headphone preference: [/size][size=10.5pt]I like some bass, but not at all at the expense of being able to hear the rest of the music and vocal (I am assuming my main interest is clean rich mids, I enjoy the vocals and the music nothing is more important than the other I just want it to all sound great).[/size] Removable cable is a plus but not a must.

[size=10.5pt]Here is where I think I have narrowed it to as of right now (in order of what I am leaning toward):[/size]

[size=10.5pt]1. AKG K 181 DJ Pro- $98 amazon. (leaning toward this based on the seemingly smoking deal (regularly $250)….I wouldn’t have an amp immediately, but would be getting the Fiio very soon after a week or 2). [/size]

[size=10.5pt]2. Koss Prodj100 $55- (would also be able to get Fiio E17 much sooner if not immediately. I read a lot about these and they have some really good reviews on here and for the price…but not sure if it is a big step down from the others, or if these plus the amp give me more bang for my buck)[/size]

[size=10.5pt]3. Pioneer HDJ500K $86 (seems like a good fit and good deal)[/size]

[size=10.5pt]4. AKG K 271 MKII - $125 (priced really close to the 181, so if it were a nice upgrade and/or fit my listening better then I might go that route.[/size]

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #24,324 of 29,490
Quote:
Alright, so I'll try to be very specific on what I'll use these for to hopefully not waste you guys time. I've never owned a really nice pair of headphones but I love music and would like to get the most out of what I have.

Price Range:
$300 is pretty much my max. I'd prefer around $250 but if there's a big enough benefit I'm willing to pay.

Use:
I'll be using these for everyday wear. So; walking to classes, studying, plane rides, and just relaxing. I'd like full ear headphones as they're the most comfortable on my ears and isolate a bit better. Sadly, they need to be closed since I'm around other people quite a bit. I'll also be using these to do some gaming when I don't need a mic. I wouldn't mind a nice degree of noise-cancelling but it's secondary to quality sound. It would also be a HUGE benefit for them to be sturdy and have a case since I'll be carrying them around in a bookbag all day.

My Music:
I listen to almost everything but what I really want these to do well at is prog rock/metal: bands like Symphony X, Dream Theater, Opeth, Genesis, etc. And Orchestral, think Yanni, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Bach, etc. I like rock, and some pop/rap but I'd really like to have a pair that will excel with the prog and classical genre.

I know that these are 2 different styles and I may be better off from a technical standpoint getting 2 different pairs. Realistically though, I change what I'm listening to several times throughout the day so that's not practical at the moment. Oh, And I have no problem with something that needs a small amp for optimal performance.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Full on ear and portability often tend to conflict--at least with regard to size.  I don't think that you are likely to get everything you want in one can.

The Shure SRH 940 is a strong choice, except it does not have the bass you will want for rap and the like.  It's currently only $229 here until the 11th:

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/dealoftheday.asp

The Ultrasone Pro 750 will give you the bass, but is not as detailed as the Shure.

Both come with cases.  Both need to be amped.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #24,325 of 29,490
Need some recommendations! Been a long time lurker but decided to register today. I started out with the JVC HARX700s and then added a Xonar DG card to get more volume. Back in October, I upgraded to the AT M50s with a FiiO E10. I grabbed the Grado SR80i based on recommendations I read here for rock music, but I really disliked the sound and they were not comfortable.

I love the sound I get from the M50s, but I want another set that's more comfortable (maybe bigger cups/less clamp). I'd rather not sacrifice the clear, powerful volume and strong bass. I love the way a kick drum sound on the M50s. I'm open to a closed or open set (the M50s are kind of "in your face", but I like it for live recordings). An open set would be nice, but not necessary. I'm not sure if the E10 is strong enough to power the more demanding sets and I will be picking up the Schiit Modi/Magni combo in the next month.

If it helps, I mostly listen to Stoner Rock and 90's Alt Rock (Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, Helmet, ZZ Top) with the occasional classic rock stuff (Steely Dan, Toto, Hendrix).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #24,326 of 29,490
Hi Everyone, 

I've been looking for a good first pair of over-ear headphones, and I'm just wondering if anyone has some good suggestions. Here's basically what I'm looking for (sorry for my lack of experience, I'm pretty new to this.) They would be used with a laptop and iPod touch. Listed in order of importance to me:

I'd like to spend $200 or less. I could spend maybe $20-$30 more if it's REALLY going to make a difference. 

Sound quality is really important to me, I'm not looking for something like Beats where you're paying mostly for a brand. I listen to a huge variety of music, I'm a classical musician so I listen to a lot of orchestral stuff as well as rock/some hip hop. I DO want something that has at minimum, decent bass response. I probably prefer a slight emphasis on bass, but not to the point where it overwhelms everything else. I want something that could at the very least, do a somewhat decent job of recreating heavy bass effects in things like action movies, which I woud also watch with these headphones on my laptop. 

I need something that is durable and won't break. I don't want to have to buy new headphones for at least a few years, and I want to be able to carry them around without worrying that they will break if carefully put in a secure part of a backpack, for example. I would obviously not be rough with them, but I don't want to always be terrified of them breaking. 

Going along with durability, a detachable cord would be much preferred. 

I would rather have something that isolates sound decently. Headphones that leak a lot of sound at low to mid volume would be a deal-breaker. Good passive noise isolation would be a plus, but isn't my biggest concern. I don't need or want active noise canceling. 

I DO NOT want to have to mess with amps. 

I much prefer over-ear to on-ear. 

I'd like something that doesn't look super ugly, but I also don't care about "fashion" models.

Models I've considered:

Bose AE2- I've heard bad things about the company in general around this site. Also, they look flimsy to me. 
V-Moda LP2- Heard bad things about bass bleeding into mids, I really like how durable these look though.
Audio-Technica M50- I've heard these don't have great bass, which makes me reluctant. The fact that the cord isn't detachable makes me nervous about the cord breaking. 
Ultrasone HiFi-580- Haven't heard a whole lot of conclusive opinions on these, seem to be all over the place with reviews. 
Shure SRH 840- Heard these sound bad with iPods, which is a deal breaker. 

Thanks SO MUCH for your help!

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #24,327 of 29,490
Hi new here. I currently have q701 and also dt880 600 ohm.

Amp i use is schitt valhalla and use my desktop computer with asus xonar essence st as my soundcard

While I like my setup I'd like to upgrade to improve detail (main goal) and also a bigger sound stage.

If it helps I prefer the q701's slightly more than the dt880

Price range is definetely under $1000, preferably under $500 if there is anything that will noticeably improve sound quality/detail

what aspect of my setup is worth upgrading- headphones, amp, soundcard/dac

thanks in advance

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #24,328 of 29,490
Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade my first pear of decent headphones, which are Sennheiser HD555's

Reason for upgrading :
1) I would like to try out bluetooth - i travel to and from work via train, a wireless option would be nice for convenience !
2) the 555's being an open design means a lot of noise leakage which isn't ideal for being on the train ! i like to listen to music LOUD, and i find myself listening to the headphones at low volumes to not annoy people
3) noise cancelling - in my mind this means since there is less background noise i would have my listening volume at a lower scale, meaning less chance of annoying people on train
4) sound isolation - not sure how good this can get in terms of non sound leakage.

Genres of music - drum'n'bass / psytrance / trance / 99% electronic music. I love a lot of bass so im looking for something that can match the Sennheiser 555's bass output

Style preference : over ear for comfort.

Budget up to $300USD .. i would prefer slightly less if something is suitable, however am willing to pay good money for this.

Sound source : HTC Sensation

Is this a realistic request? would dropping bluetooth as a requirement provide a lot more options?

Thanks all!

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #24,329 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi new here. I currently have q701 and also dt880 600 ohm.

Amp i use is schitt valhalla and use my desktop computer with asus xonar essence st as my soundcard

While I like my setup I'd like to upgrade to improve detail (main goal) and also a bigger sound stage.

If it helps I prefer the q701's slightly more than the dt880

Price range is definetely under $1000, preferably under $500 if there is anything that will noticeably improve sound quality/detail

what aspect of my setup is worth upgrading- headphones, amp, soundcard/dac

thanks in advance

It is very hard to beat the Q701 on sound stage.  You could pick up the K 702 65th Annie.  For the biggest improvement look for a T1 when it drops below $1,000 on Amazon or elsewhere.  It has the best sound stage I have heard within (or near) your budget.

BTW: I don't know your sound card (I'm not a music on computer guy), but I suspect you would benefit by upgrading it in the event you get the T1--and maybe the new AKG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back