++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 5, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #24,287 of 29,490
Quote:
I'd recommend the Soundmagic HP100's. They're quite neutral, if a tad warm - good tonality. They have sufficient bass for a bit of punch when it calls for it on the song. They also have great detail retrieval & just a great overall smoothness to their presentation. The mids are probably slightly recessed & the highs have a good sparkle but aren't at all harsh. The soundstage isn't hugely wide but I think that will probably suit the music you listen to more. I was really amazed by how balanced and smooth this can sounded when I had them. I think they'd be a good all-rounder. Plus, they're really comfortable and isolate really well.

I'd say they're an overlooked gem.

I can't speak to any of the other recommendations.

I'm looking into those right now, so far they seem up to par with similar models. Finding a wealth reviews is a little more difficult however, as you mentioned.

Quote:

Ahaha,, I realize my list isn't very useful- I basically listed every well-regarded closed-back headphone in the sub-200 price range here.

A good portion of those I've tried to read amazon reviews and youtube reviews, it's the right direction of course but $200 isn't exactly throwaway cash so I want to make sure I get it right.

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #24,288 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking into those right now, so far they seem up to par with similar models. Finding a wealth reviews is a little more difficult however, as you mentioned.
This guy seems to have a wide palette. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbMbcZDFc98

A good portion of those I've tried to read amazon reviews and youtube reviews, it's the right direction of course but $200 isn't exactly throwaway cash so I want to make sure I get it right.

Hey, I have a similar taste in music to you and can say the Soundmagic's worked well with Tool & other prog rock. From what I've read the Beyerdynamics Dt770's are quite bass heavy and probably more of a basshead can. I don't have the Shure 840's but I do have the Shure 940's and from what I've read the 840's are good all-rounders with decent bass but if the tonality is anything like my 940's I wouldn't recommend them as it sounds very artificial & digital for lack of a better word. The Soundmagic's have quite a natural timbre & very balanced presentation. Had I not bought a pair of Denon D5000's I would have been quite satisfied with these as an all-rounder. I listen to jazz, prog rock, fusion.

Feb 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #24,289 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey, I have a similar taste in music to you and can say the Soundmagic's worked well with Tool & other prog rock. From what I've read the Beyerdynamics Dt770's are quite bass heavy and probably more of a basshead can. I don't have the Shure 840's but I do have the Shure 940's and from what I've read the 840's are good all-rounders with decent bass but if the tonality is anything like my 940's I wouldn't recommend them as it sounds very artificial & digital for lack of a better word. The Soundmagic's have quite a natural timbre & very balanced presentation. Had I not bought a pair of Denon D5000's I would have been quite satisfied with these as an all-rounder. I listen to jazz, prog rock, fusion.

I probably won't start on the Denon's as I just looked at the price and soiled my pants, but that's a pretty fair review and I'm moving the HP100 near the top of my list. I might pull the trigger tomorrow so I'll do a little more digging around.

Will I need an amp with the HP100 or will it be ok fresh out the box?

Feb 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #24,291 of 29,490
Quote:

x2.  I have no idea what Denon was thinking when it discontinued the D2000/D5000- those were easily the best closed headphones in their price range.

Yeah, crazy. Although I'd be curious to auditon a pair of the new models. I'm dreading the day something breaks or the pads need replacing on my Denons...

Quote:
I probably won't start on the Denon's as I just looked at the price and soiled my pants, but that's a pretty fair review and I'm moving the HP100 near the top of my list. I might pull the trigger tomorrow so I'll do a little more digging around.

Will I need an amp with the HP100 or will it be ok fresh out the box?

I was running the Soundmagic's directly from my Samsung S3 and at full volume it was decent but not really loud. I also tried them with my Fiio E11 plugged into my S3 and that was much better. I'd recommend a cheap Fiio amp to really bring the music more body & depth. 

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #24,292 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Although he and I have very different primary genre preferences (I'm a U.S. roots music guy), our ears appear to quite similar.  But here's the problem.  The sound of the HE 400 has changed over time with at least two versions of this can.  I'm not confident that I can give you an exact fix on the version that ends up on your ears.  In addition I prefer the uncolored (and unmatched at anything near its price) HE 500 that does all music and genres so well.

OK thanks again. U make me really wanna give the 500s a try! 
biggrin.gif

Two questions left: I would primarily wanna use the hifiman with my colorfly c4 and my htc one xplus. colorfly should be no problem but I'm not sure bout the cell. It drove my sennheiser hd 650 without problems in regards of volume (of course the quality was not "audiophile"). whats you're experience with this?

And are the he-500 suitable for metal music?

Sorry I am not familiar with any of your other equipment.

The HE 500 is a top file neutral audiophile class can.  I will lay down well whatever you put into it.  It your metal recordings are of quality, you'll get that same quality out (unless there's a weaknes upstream from the HE 500.

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #24,293 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The 440 works fine right out of my iPhone 4. 

Check the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.  Once there, look for cans rated "1", which accurately includes the 440.  Some rated "2" will work but it's hit or miss depending on your equipment.

Ok, so it sounds almost as good as plugging it on a laptop's audio out?

It should--subject to the quality--or lack thereof--of your computer on board sound.  That can be a problem area, as much of it is bad or worse.

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #24,295 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I always read here that the bass on LCD-2 is amazing, but I dont understand how an electrostatic driver can move more air (bass is basically strong air waves) than a mechanical driver.

Electrostatics have a low moving mass driven over a large area, which gives a better transient response.  They don't necessarily move more air, but the transients are faster and the membranes of LCD-2 and HE500 have ~2x more surface area than most dynamic headphones.  I've found that the bass in dynamics 'punches' more- if you put your hand if front of DT770 or D7000 you can literally feel the wind, but I haven't felt this with LCD-2 or HE-500.  Most dynamics also drop off sharply in spectral power in the low bass (10-20 Hz).  But I don't know if you can say that all electrostatics have better bass- for example I preferred the bass of Edition 8 to HE-500. 
size]

The LCD-2 and HE 500 are planars--not electrostatics.

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #24,296 of 29,490
I'm in the market to get a new headphone and amp combo to go with my laptop as a portable means to achieve good quality music. Mostly metal, some rap and some singer songwriter type music (IE Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen ect) My budget is $200 for both amp and cans. so far, my selection is the Fischer Audio fa-004's, AKG k240's, the Fostex t50rp, or the Goldring d100 bundle that is currently on jaben for $100. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or guidance as to which would be the best bet for me. For a frame of reference as to what sound I like; I enjoy a bright can such as the grado s60s, but they leak too much sound for coffee shop/ library listening. I also do like a very strong low end. Thanks for any advice and I will try my best to answer any questions!

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #24,297 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Source: 24-96 flac and 320mp3 (for the less available stuff) via foobar2000
              Fiio E17

Genres: Metal- mainly melodeath, stuff like Opeth (kind of melodeath), Be'lakor, Insomnium, but also technical death metal like The Faceless, as well as various metal bands like Anaal Nathrakh. Rap- Almost solely Eminem and Hopsin. Classical- Beethoven, Beethoven, Beethoven

Can preference: Circumaural, preferably closed but open if fine too, comfort is a plus, but not a serious consideration. I have a pretty big head, long hair, and facial hair, which can make a difference with seals. I where glasses, but can compromise (I made due for the longest time with my current/previous headphones).

Preferred sound signature: I love the sound signature of my Ety hf3 and Superlux HD662f, so I would say reproductively accurate with a flat curve. I don't mind somewhat harsh highs, and love detail, but overall accuracy to the way things really sound is the biggest thing.

Price range: Cheaper the better. I don't like buying used, and would be willing to save for a while if it is worth it. Preferably under $200, but like I said, I can flex quite a bit if the pay off is present.

Current headphones: Superlux HD662f which developed a crackling in the right ear. I have put thousands of hours through them, and Superlux is not know for build quality, so it is what it is, as well as Ety hf3. Love them both.

Anyone else care to give some suggestions?

Wish I could help more, but can only suggest that you cruise the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #24,298 of 29,490
Hey everyone! Im gonna be coming down to the US from Canada this weekend and I wanted to get some headphones (they'll hopefully be cheaper xP). I go to high school so I want something that looks kinda nice. I listen to all kinda of music but mostly hiphop, rap, R&B, and pop. Im gonna just plug it into my Samsung Galaxy S2 X as my driver but im thinking about getting a fiio e6 im not sure yet.... I've been looking at the Skullcandy Roc Nation Aviators and the Philips Cityscape Uptowns. I like the way both of them look and im going to go to Future Shop to try em out tomorrow. Im sorry im kinda new at this.  Oh and also I wanted something around that price range. I want something that I can get for around ($100) and I want something that wont leak sound too much. Ide Love some guidance or a decision of which of those 2 to buy! Thanks :)

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #24,300 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm in the market to get a new headphone and amp combo to go with my laptop as a portable means to achieve good quality music. Mostly metal, some rap and some singer songwriter type music (IE Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen ect) My budget is $200 for both amp and cans. so far, my selection is the Fischer Audio fa-004's, AKG k240's, the Fostex t50rp, or the Goldring d100 bundle that is currently on jaben for $100. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or guidance as to which would be the best bet for me. For a frame of reference as to what sound I like; I enjoy a bright can such as the grado s60s, but they leak too much sound for coffee shop/ library listening. I also do like a very strong low end. Thanks for any advice and I will try my best to answer any questions!

You might also want to check out the Ultrasone HiFi 780 or (with for more) the Pro 750 plus amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back