++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 20, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #23,626 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
That comes down to what you want, starting with whether you want an open or closed can; whether or not the size of the sound stage is a important; whether or not a detachable set of cables, a case and extra ear pads are important, etc.

I think about an open cans, but closed is also OK for me.
It would be nice to have a wide sound stage.
Detachable cables and extra ear pads are really good options, but the main factor is a sound: transparent, with lots of detail, maybe with slightly forward mids and highs, that's what I'm looking for.
SRH1440 are way over my budget.

AKG K 702/Q 701 or Shure SRH940 might do it. I own the SRH940 and a newer K 701 (which sounds similar to the Q 701) and neither are quite transparent though; I can still tell I have headphones on my head when I listen to music.
  1. SRH940 has more forward mids with a more fatiguing treble response (not due to sibilance, but probably the highest frequencies).
  2. K 702/Q 701 sounds more relaxing/less aggressive and more pleasant to the ear. An amplifier is usually recommended, but not really required (it helps bring out the bass and tame the treble).
  3. Both have a lot of detail, probably more so with the SRH940.
  4. SRH940 comes with 2 cables and 2 sets of earpads, the AKG's only come with 2 cables 1 set of earpads

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #23,628 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello All,
Thanks for the great info on this site.  But even with all of it, I could use your help to decide how to enter the realm of more high quality over ear headphones.

I tend to listen to rap the most so in terms of sound quality bass is probably the most important element of the spectrum, but my primary preference is for a strong overall listening experience for all experiencing all types of music.  I mainly will use them to sit down and work with, so long term comfort is a big factor, but I also would like them to look pretty good so I can wear them out and about on occasion instead of just crappy headphones.Picking up an amp for EQ'ing could be possible, but I would prefer to not have to worry about it if possible.
EDIT: Listening mostly off of Spotify on my computer and iphone.

After research, I am considering the following (I've got $300 max $400 to burn)....

Very close to picking up the Sony MDR- 1R's for overall comfort and style (My main concern is that the bass will not be punchy enough for playing rap music)
Also looking into...Denon D1100 (or the D2000 used), Sony z-1000 (likely used), and Ultrasone 900's.
Mainly bass-heavy options, but I am concerned about some of these for either comfort or style. 

A key question is whether it might be worth it to pick up a higher quality used headphone over a brand new $300 headphone so I can achieve the trifecta of comfort, style, and high quality low end.

Thanks for all of your help!  Bonus points for links to discounted D2000's or Sony Z-1000's (they seem pretty great if they weren't so expensive)
Quote:

Someone else can probably give more valuable input on this, but I would rule out the Denons, the D1100 for being a tier or two below the others you listed, and the D2000 for being impractical for portable use (plus they leak and are hard to find at a decent price).  Don't know much about the Ultrasone Pro 900's, but Ultrasones aren't exactly known for comfort and of the ones I've tried, I found the comfort lacking.  Then of course, if you can look past the comfort issue, the Pro 900's are supposed to be a great option for bass.

The MDR-1R's seem like a safe bet, but also maybe consider the Logitech UE 6000, Beyer DT770/COP, or AKG K167 as well (the last two are admittedly blind recommendations).

Thanks for the thoughts. 

I guess I'm about to settle on the MDR-1R.  But I'm also starting to look at the ATH M50S.  I was looking to spend a few more bucks then $100, but if they outperform the sony's on the low end and overall, might be worth it.

Anyone else have any input?

Would a cheap portable amp help alot with the base for the Sony MDR-1R's?  Might be willing to do it if it makes the bass more punchy.

Danke.

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #23,629 of 29,490
Hi, Head-Fi,

After reading a bunch of reviews about six months ago, I picked up a set of Monoprice 8323's. I've been moderately happy with them, with a couple of caveats.  Though sound reproduction seems pretty good to my non-audiophile ears, the soundstage feels very small...there's no sense of space at all.  More significantly, the headband has started to crack on both sides.  I've probably got about a week's worth of use left in them before the cracking makes them no longer fit firmly on my head (I've slid the worst side inside the top part of the band, but the other side is getting worse).  One feature I do like on this set is the removable cable.

I'm a grad student on budget...while a set of cans costing actual money will be in my future at some point, that point is not now.  The Monoprices are cheap enough that I could just pick up another pair, but I'm thinking I'd like to try something different.  Ideally, I'd not be looking above the USD$50 range, but could probably go a little bit higher if it would result in a significant improvement (music is one of the few things keeping my sanity intact, at this point).

I work in my home office, so sound isolation is a not a huge deal...I'd be interested in giving a more open set a try.  Most of the budget recommendations I've found are responses to people looking for closed models, so posting the question here.

I use headphones mostly so I can turn up the volume and zone into my work without disturbing my wife in the other room, or so I can listen at night. If she's watching TV, either one or both doors can be closed to reduce the sound bleeding in. I often wear them for hours at a time, so comfort is quite important.

Musically, I listen to mostly rock (from classic and prog to eclectic modern acts, including some fairly heavy) and classical, with some jazz, metal (mostly avant-garde or experimental), EDM (psytrance), and ambient. I game a bit when I have time, and there am looking more for immersiveness than competitiveness.  Most of my classical listening is pipe organ, so solid and non-muddy bass reproduction would be much appreciated.  Sources are mostly properly ripped FLACs, with about 30% of my collection still in MP3 or OGGs of various quality (and my tolerance level for bad rips has been steadily decreasing over the past few years).  For now, the 'phones will be driven off the onboard sound card on my desktop.

As mentioned, I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive set of around-the-ear headphones with a better soundstage than the 8323's. A headband designed to avoid stress fractures would also be desirable.  Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #23,630 of 29,490
Quote:

Quote:
Hello All,
Thanks for the great info on this site.  But even with all of it, I could use your help to decide how to enter the realm of more high quality over ear headphones.

I tend to listen to rap the most so in terms of sound quality bass is probably the most important element of the spectrum, but my primary preference is for a strong overall listening experience for all experiencing all types of music.  I mainly will use them to sit down and work with, so long term comfort is a big factor, but I also would like them to look pretty good so I can wear them out and about on occasion instead of just crappy headphones.Picking up an amp for EQ'ing could be possible, but I would prefer to not have to worry about it if possible.
EDIT: Listening mostly off of Spotify on my computer and iphone.

After research, I am considering the following (I've got $300 max $400 to burn)....

Very close to picking up the Sony MDR- 1R's for overall comfort and style (My main concern is that the bass will not be punchy enough for playing rap music)
Also looking into...Denon D1100 (or the D2000 used), Sony z-1000 (likely used), and Ultrasone 900's.
Mainly bass-heavy options, but I am concerned about some of these for either comfort or style. 

A key question is whether it might be worth it to pick up a higher quality used headphone over a brand new $300 headphone so I can achieve the trifecta of comfort, style, and high quality low end.

Thanks for all of your help!  Bonus points for links to discounted D2000's or Sony Z-1000's (they seem pretty great if they weren't so expensive)
Quote:

Someone else can probably give more valuable input on this, but I would rule out the Denons, the D1100 for being a tier or two below the others you listed, and the D2000 for being impractical for portable use (plus they leak and are hard to find at a decent price).  Don't know much about the Ultrasone Pro 900's, but Ultrasones aren't exactly known for comfort and of the ones I've tried, I found the comfort lacking.  Then of course, if you can look past the comfort issue, the Pro 900's are supposed to be a great option for bass.

The MDR-1R's seem like a safe bet, but also maybe consider the Logitech UE 6000, Beyer DT770/COP, or AKG K167 as well (the last two are admittedly blind recommendations).

Thanks for the thoughts. 

I guess I'm between the MDR-1R and the Ultrasone Pro 900's then I guess.  Anyone else have any input?
Also, I still think the older Sony Z-1000's are intriguing (especially if I find a quality used version).  Still wondering if these would be worth picking up over the MDr-1r's.

Would a cheap portable amp help alot with the base for the Sony MDR-1R's?  Might be willing to do it if it makes the bass more punchy.

Danke.

I don't know much about the MDR-1R's but I have listened to the PRO 900's and I really don't like them.

Maybe it was due to how the whole S-Logic thing works, but I found them to be overly bright and sibilant. Measurements at Innerfidelity concede with what I heard through the PRO 900's even when properly amped. Yes the bass is punchy and big, but the midrange sounds recessed, ssss sounds are sibilant, and the treble is very fatiguing to my ears.

^ the treble area doesn't slope downwards at all and is in-line with the entire midrange spectrum

^ extremely sharp overshoots indicate a sharp treble response, long ring time indicates slowness

^ that's a ton of distortion, usually less than 1% is ideal in a headphone

If I'm wrong about all of this, can someone please enlighten me? I've tried the PRO 900's at multiple Head-Fi meets and my listening experiences have all been identical. :frowning2:

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #23,631 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, Head-Fi,

After reading a bunch of reviews about six months ago, I picked up a set of Monoprice 8323's. I've been moderately happy with them, with a couple of caveats.  Though sound reproduction seems pretty good to my non-audiophile ears, the soundstage feels very small...there's no sense of space at all.  More significantly, the headband has started to crack on both sides.  I've probably got about a week's worth of use left in them before the cracking makes them no longer fit firmly on my head (I've slid the worst side inside the top part of the band, but the other side is getting worse).  One feature I do like on this set is the removable cable.

I'm a grad student on budget...while a set of cans costing actual money will be in my future at some point, that point is not now.  The Monoprices are cheap enough that I could just pick up another pair, but I'm thinking I'd like to try something different.  Ideally, I'd not be looking above the USD$50 range, but could probably go a little bit higher if it would result in a significant improvement (music is one of the few things keeping my sanity intact, at this point).

I work in my home office, so sound isolation is a not a huge deal...I'd be interested in giving a more open set a try.  Most of the budget recommendations I've found are responses to people looking for closed models, so posting the question here.

I use headphones mostly so I can turn up the volume and zone into my work without disturbing my wife in the other room, or so I can listen at night. If she's watching TV, either one or both doors can be closed to reduce the sound bleeding in. I often wear them for hours at a time, so comfort is quite important.

Musically, I listen to mostly rock (from classic and prog to eclectic modern acts, including some fairly heavy) and classical, with some jazz, metal (mostly avant-garde or experimental), EDM (psytrance), and ambient. I game a bit when I have time, and there am looking more for immersiveness than competitiveness.  Most of my classical listening is pipe organ, so solid and non-muddy bass reproduction would be much appreciated.  Sources are mostly properly ripped FLACs, with about 30% of my collection still in MP3 or OGGs of various quality (and my tolerance level for bad rips has been steadily decreasing over the past few years).  For now, the 'phones will be driven off the onboard sound card on my desktop.

As mentioned, I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive set of around-the-ear headphones with a better soundstage than the 8323's. A headband designed to avoid stress fractures would also be desirable.  Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sounds like the Takstar HI2050 could be someting for you to consider:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #23,632 of 29,490
Hello, i want a quick suggestion if anyone can give it to me. I have a pair of Senn HD 380 Pro and a pair of Grado SR80i and was thinking of getting another pair of headphones to complement these. IMO i think i should get a pair with good soundstage since i usually play games when i don't listen to music but i'm not so sure.

Another question: should i get an open or closed pair? I usually play on my laptop but the fans are pretty noisy especially under high strain. And if i'm going to buy an closed pair, will the soundstage be that much bigger than my HD 380?

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #23,633 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, i want a quick suggestion if anyone can give it to me. I have a pair of Senn HD 380 Pro and a pair of Grado SR80i and was thinking of getting another pair of headphones to complement these. IMO i think i should get a pair with good soundstage since i usually play games when i don't listen to music but i'm not so sure.

Another question: should i get an open or closed pair? I usually play on my laptop but the fans are pretty noisy especially under high strain. And if i'm going to buy an closed pair, will the soundstage be that much bigger than my HD 380?

Shure srh 840 closed great isolation, great sound stage.Might could work for what you need.

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #23,634 of 29,490
Posted earlier, and based on suggestions I have ordered a Panasonic HTF600, and plan to get a Grado SR80i a little bit down the road. Mostly for rock music, and I really want to check out the Grado, but I am wondering if I should consider an alternate model if I find a great deal. These are the main contenders:

Shure SRH440
ATH-M50
Sennheiser HD439
Sennheiser HD280
m-audio Q40
Creative Aurvana

So, just plan for the Grado or seriously consider one of these instead?

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #23,635 of 29,490
Quote:

What's your budget?

Open cans often has better soundstage then closed ones.

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #23,636 of 29,490
Posted earlier, and based on suggestions I have ordered a Panasonic HTF600, and plan to get a Grado SR80i a little bit down the road. Mostly for rock music, and I really want to check out the Grado, but I am wondering if I should consider an alternate model if I find a great deal. These are the main contenders:

Shure SRH440
ATH-M50
Sennheiser HD439
Sennheiser HD280
m-audio Q40
Creative Aurvana

So, just plan for the Grado or seriously consider one of these instead?

I have only heard the first four, but based on that, I'd stick with the Grado if you're primarily using them for rock music.  The SRH440, M50, and HD280 are supposed to be monitoring headphones, which IMO don't work great for rock.  Unless you need isolation, stick with the Grados.

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #23,637 of 29,490
Quote:
What's your budget?

Open cans often has better soundstage then closed ones.

I know that open cans have better soundstage, but sometimes when i use my grado the noise from the fans get pretty distracting... That's why i can't decide. On one hand i have great soundstage but annoying fans, on the other hand i have not so great soundstage but the fans are gone.

My budget could go around 200 euro or higher. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #23,638 of 29,490
Quote:
AKG K 702/Q 701 or Shure SRH940 might do it. I own the SRH940 and a newer K 701 (which sounds similar to the Q 701) and neither are quite transparent though; I can still tell I have headphones on my head when I listen to music.
  1. SRH940 has more forward mids with a more fatiguing treble response (not due to sibilance, but probably the highest frequencies).
  2. K 702/Q 701 sounds more relaxing/less aggressive and more pleasant to the ear. An amplifier is usually recommended, but not really required (it helps bring out the bass and tame the treble).
  3. Both have a lot of detail, probably more so with the SRH940.
  4. SRH940 comes with 2 cables and 2 sets of earpads, the AKG's only come with 2 cables 1 set of earpads

Thanks!
I think I'll choose Q701 since I've got not much options. SRH940 still looks pretty interesting for me; Maybe I'll buy them for office in a couple of month.

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #23,639 of 29,490
Quote:
I know that open cans have better soundstage, but sometimes when i use my grado the noise from the fans get pretty distracting... That's why i can't decide. On one hand i have great soundstage but annoying fans, on the other hand i have not so great soundstage but the fans are gone.

My budget could go around 200 euro or higher. 

Closed in that pricerange I'm not familiar with.

DT 880 Semi open could be a good compromise.

Suggestions for open cans:
HD598
DT990
ATH-AD900
AKG 701K

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #23,640 of 29,490
The old itch that I never scratched properly (for my student wallet's joy) has come back. I am in need of some advice from a helpful soul. First, my budget: up to 150 GBP (hinting I currently reside in the UK). The lower, the better though. I prefer not to fiddle with amps if possible. My desk has enough gadgets on it already.

Things I am looking for:
Listening to music/watching movies at home
Genres sorted by priority: House, Rock, Metal, Trance, Techno, Classical, Vocal, Instrumental
Comfort (I'll sum up my unfortunate experiences: Denon AH-D1100 - very comfy albeit with a brittle build; Sony ZX700 - hurts my ears for they are above average size I believe, the pads are not deep enough and they are narrow, the effect is amplified due to the clamping force; Panasonic HTF600 - my ears are cooking in them! plus, too much base, the pads are terrible!; Denon AH-D2000 - I feel as if they are going to fall off my head, no isolation at all) Please bear in mind I wear glasses.
Build quality (no Denon AH-D1100 please!) I am obsessively careful with my tech but I've found my Denon AH-D1100 did not benefit at all from that.

What I have been looking at: CAL! - although they have small ear cups, so they are a no-no; Sennheiser HD25-1 II - I've tried their cheaper sibling HD25 SP, which had quite the sound I was looking for and felt comfortable to boot on top of an above average sound isolation when I tried them at HMV; Audio-Technica M50 - I've not had the pleasure to try them, but I've seen enough recommendations. Phillips Fidelio L1 - I know next to nothing about these, nonetheless I like their design and the fact that they promise comfort. I try to stay away from neutral-sounding headphones, as I simply enjoy a moderate amount of bass immensely.

I do not know where to head next in my research. If I could be pointed in several directions (models to look at), I'd appreciate it immensely!

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back