++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 20, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #23,641 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
What's your budget?

Open cans often has better soundstage then closed ones.

I know that open cans have better soundstage, but sometimes when i use my grado the noise from the fans get pretty distracting... That's why i can't decide. On one hand i have great soundstage but annoying fans, on the other hand i have not so great soundstage but the fans are gone.

My budget could go around 200 euro or higher. 

I would recommend a Shure SRH940, although the mid-bass might be not as pronounced as a Grado. The K 701's (or the Q 701's) are kind of the open-back, more relaxing version of the SRH940 with a tad bit more bass extension.

Jan 20, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #23,642 of 29,490
Hello,

I would really appreciate some help in choosing new headphones. I am pretty torn. I would especially appreciate the opinion of someone that has all three or has tried all three extensively, as I'd like to avoid buyer's bias. 

My budget is $1000-2000

I'm using a pretty cheap amp - E17 / E09K.
I just bought the amp and I'm not keen to replace it yet.

I have grado sr325is and senn hd650. I like the senns but they could be more lively / detailed. The grados i like how detailed they are, but they don't seem as full as the senns, if that makes any sense. I don't find the grados comfortable though 

I've been looking at LCD-2/3, Senn HD800, Beyer T1, Hifiman HE-600

What should I get?

My main factors:
- bang for the buck
- noticeable improvement over senn hd650
- forgiving to a crappy amp (I may eventually upgrade, but I don't want to for now)
- good with all genres of music
- comfort

I'm currently thinking the beyer t1 might be the best?  I am unsure of how forgiving the lcd-2/3 are for a weak amp and i am worried about their comfort. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #23,643 of 29,490
I'm looking for a solid state amp and DAC to drive my future pair of HiFi Man HE-500s. I'm looking to bring out lots of extension on both ends of the spectrum with a focus on a bit more bass impact. It would be awesome if it can do female vocals well too.

Thanks in advance.

Budget is $1000 for both.

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #23,644 of 29,490
I'm looking for a solid state amp and DAC to drive my future pair of HiFi Man HE-500s. I'm looking to bring out lots of extension on both ends of the spectrum with a focus on a bit more bass impact. It would be awesome if it can do female vocals well too.

Thanks in advance.

Budget is $1000 for both.

If your budget for the dac/amp is $1k, then get the bisfrost and lyr from schiit

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #23,645 of 29,490
Quote:
If your budget for the dac/amp is $1k, then get the bisfrost and lyr from schiit

Do you have a SS in mind? I don't want to go through the trouble of tube rolling. unless of course you can tell me right now what tubes I need for my specifications.

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #23,646 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Do you have a SS in mind? I don't want to go through the trouble of tube rolling. unless of course you can tell me right now what tubes I need for my specifications.

I think the O2 was mentioned earlier for the HE-500. I'm considering the HE-500 as an upgrade myself...when my wallet will allow me to do so. >.>
Or maybe not. I didn't see the criteria in your first post.

Ah here it is, but in a different thread:
Quote:
Quote:
Would an Objective 2 be able to drive the HE-500 properly?

I use mine at 1x gain with the ODAC. Works great.

Quote:
Quote:
Would an Objective 2 be able to drive the HE-500 properly?

Yeah, it should do fine. Just make sure you have a powerful enough power supply so that you can use the high (6.5x) gain setting without distorting.

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #23,647 of 29,490
Hello, I recently upgraded my HD580s with the HD600 drivers due to the dreaded 'no audio' from one driver.  So, I now have one HD580 driver that works fine (about 5 years old) and another thats dead (most likely because of the coils).  Im wondering if I should post the pair of drivers for sale as parts in the for sale forums (as parts/not working)?  Not sure if that's something a fellow headfi'er would want or not?  If so how much should I charge?  

(ps I do realize I would need to increase my post count first)

Please advise, thanks!

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #23,648 of 29,490
Wow, with 24,000 posts, I'll be surprised if my question finds an answer, but head fi seems pretty adamant this is the place to start. 

I have a pair of Klipsch Forte IIs which I love.  I would never listen to headphones given my druthers, but sometimes it is necessary (the wife is sleeping).  I have a pair of Shure SRH840s, which are OK, but I want an experience closer to "open room with speakers."  I recently auditioned the Grado SR225is, having recently read good things about open back designs, but they didn't offer enough difference to warrant the switch.  The PSB M4Us claim to have Room Feel (tm), but I dunno (no audition yet).  So, any ideas on a $ 200 - 400 pair of cans that give that open room feeling? 

Note: I don't need noise cancelling, and all earbuds are out.

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #23,649 of 29,490
Quote:

Quote:
I think the O2 was mentioned earlier for the HE-500. I'm considering the HE-500 as an upgrade myself...when my wallet will allow me to do so. >.>
Or maybe not. I didn't see the criteria in your first post.

Ah here it is, but in a different thread:

Get the Dacmini by Centrance, here is some impression from larry http://www.head-fi.org/t/551345/hifiman-he-500-he-as-in-high-end-please-post-your-impressions-loan-pair-for-uk-pg-28/165#post_7515665

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #23,650 of 29,490
Howdy folks,

I've been researching headphones and amp/dac pairings for the last few months and since bonuses are due at work, I've decided to upgrade my current setup: HD-595 & Pico Dac/Amp combo. I have $1500 to $2000 to spend and so far I'm interested in the LCD-2, HE-500, and T1 (used) paired possibly with Schiit Bifrost and Lyr or Asgard. I listen to a wide range of genres (lots of Radiohead, Tori Amos, Bjork, Fever Ray/Knife, Rush, Armin van Buuren, and MBV) so a jack of all trades setup would be preferred. I have FLAC recordings, but as of late I've been listening to Spotify premium, thus I'd like a phone that performs well with subpar source material.

I realize I may be asking a bit much from one setup. Hopefully some folks may be able to offer a head-fi novice some suggestions to best maximize his bang-for-the-buck.

Thanks!

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #23,651 of 29,490
I own some hd650s that I use an xcan amp to drive with 320kbps files from my iPhone. I love that set up. The sound is in my sweet spot and it makes me happy. But alas, I'm tethered. The line out device I'm using just isn't tolerant to being moved much. I have some great shure iems that I use when I exercise. I love them, but they're not my sennheisers. I've thought about getting the momentums to get more of that sennheiser sound without being tethered as long as I'm just moving around and not working out. But actually, I'd rather have open headphones.

Are there any low impedance open headphones that could be driven from an iPhone? I think the closed momentums would be ok, but I'd hate to lose the highs I have with my 650s. What headphones might get me close to a hd650 sound without requiring an amp? Does something like that even exist?

Music I listen to ranges from BUCK-TICK to Solar Fields, classical to industrial metal and then bouncing over to Infected Mushroom.

Thanks for any advice.

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #23,652 of 29,490
Quote:
I own some hd650s that I use an xcan amp to drive with 320kbps files from my iPhone. I love that set up. The sound is in my sweet spot and it makes me happy. But alas, I'm tethered. The line out device I'm using just isn't tolerant to being moved much. I have some great shure iems that I use when I exercise. I love them, but they're not my sennheisers. I've thought about getting the momentums to get more of that sennheiser sound without being tethered as long as I'm just moving around and not working out. But actually, I'd rather have open headphones.

Are there any low impedance open headphones that could be driven from an iPhone? I think the closed momentums would be ok, but I'd hate to lose the highs I have with my 650s. What headphones might get me close to a hd650 sound without requiring an amp? Does something like that even exist?

Music I listen to ranges from BUCK-TICK to Solar Fields, classical to industrial metal and then bouncing over to Infected Mushroom.

Thanks for any advice.

Maybe a V-MODA Crossfade M-100? If you purchase it from V-MODA, you get a 60-day trial where if you don't like it, you can return it for a full refund within 60 days of purchase.
The Momentums would probably be a good choice as well.

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #23,653 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,

I would really appreciate some help in choosing new headphones. I am pretty torn. I would especially appreciate the opinion of someone that has all three or has tried all three extensively, as I'd like to avoid buyer's bias. 

My budget is $1000-2000

I'm using a pretty cheap amp - E17 / E09K.
I just bought the amp and I'm not keen to replace it yet.

I have grado sr325is and senn hd650. I like the senns but they could be more lively / detailed. The grados i like how detailed they are, but they don't seem as full as the senns, if that makes any sense. I don't find the grados comfortable though 

I've been looking at LCD-2/3, Senn HD800, Beyer T1, Hifiman HE-600

What should I get?

My main factors:
- bang for the buck
- noticeable improvement over senn hd650
- forgiving to a crappy amp (I may eventually upgrade, but I don't want to for now)
- good with all genres of music
- comfort

I'm currently thinking the beyer t1 might be the best?  I am unsure of how forgiving the lcd-2/3 are for a weak amp and i am worried about their comfort. 

Please someone help me :frowning2: I have no way to test them. 

I'm legit going to make a decision based on what you guys say.

I'm now thinking the LCD-3s might be the best option..  but I'm not sure if they work well with a sub-par amp / comfort. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #23,654 of 29,490
Thanks. The M-100s are on my current list of candidates. I think they're a bit more bass heavy though than the momentums from what I've read. So the highs and mids might be too recessed for me. I realize that my 650s have utterly spoiled me. But I was hoping that somebody would be making some more efficient full size open cans. I think that may be the best way for me to get the more spacious sound I'm desiring. If no one does, I'm leaning toward the momentums as the best compromise between sound and portability.

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #23,655 of 29,490
I was recently looking to pick up a new pair of headphones. Currently all I have owned is the stock apple headphones and a pair of Seinn HD 428. I was looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and they seem to get great reviews. Are these gonna give me a noticeable difference in quality from my HD 428 and are they good for just casual listening since I won't use them for any mixing? Open to recommendations in the same price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back