++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #23,672 of 29,490
Hey full-size experts,

I want to replace my HD555s (tape modded).  I also have a D2000 and Sextett, but want something to complement both AND expand soundstage.  I found the HD555(595?) to have extremely dull treble.
So to sum up:

- Superwide soundstage
- warmish, with clear treble and mids
- <$200

ring any bells?  I already had one suggestion for HD580.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #23,673 of 29,490
Quote:
I have been investigating the purchase of a set of closed full-size headphones for about a month. I really enjoy reading all the information available on this site. I have also been reading Tyll's really helpful site and have found that very helpful as well. Just as a caveat, I'm pretty new to all this!

I started my headphone research with a purchase of the Sennheiser Momentum's. I enjoyed the sound but the fit just wasn't right for me. After an hour or so, they hurt my ears. I always felt like my ears were being squashed inside the ear cups. The sound was nice and warm though I would have preferred a little more treble emphasis - not brassy mind you just a very small, smidgen more. They are in my price range $200 - $400.00

I have returned the Momentum's because of the fit (or lack thereof!) and now I'm trying out the Logitech UE6000. Much more comfortable! I don't think the sound is as nice as the Momentum's. I haven't done any appreciable burn in, just listened to them for about 5-10 hours so far. I feel that the sound in passive mode is a little flat and lacks oomph...I know - very technical. Also, the build quality is not nearly as nice as the Momentum's. In fact I had the whole force the cable into the female end of the phones problem. They just aren't as convincing a can as the Momentum's. Also, the UE6000 hurts the top of my head a little bit after I wear them for a few hours.

I have taken my iPad with some music to demo to Best Buy to try out the AKG K550. I really like that headphone! Sounds wonderful and I certainly like the "sound stage" which seems much more open to me than either the Momentum's or the UE6000. So I guess I like the AKG sound?!? Also, the AKG K550 is very comfortable and it seems to be really well built.

I don't plan on using the headphones I will be getting outside or for travel, though I could, it's just not a priority.I also really don't care about a control for the iPad or an iPhone.

I plan to have the phones connected to either my MacPro or to an iPad which hold my iTunes collection of Apple Lossless tunes that I have ripped from a CD library.

I listen to many, many different types of music but no hip-hop, rap. A little bit of electronica, some classical, lots of piano, classical and jazz (Bill Evans, Alan Broadbent) and I particularly like indie female vocalists in a folk vein, (Hem, Kathleen Edwards, Joni Mitchell, etc.) some country though not much, mostly "classical" country - Waylon Jennings, Dolly Parton, Jerry Jeff Walker. I'm also big into Neil Young, some blues, and some R & B and have been trying different phones (like the AKG K550 at Best Buy) with early Cat Stevens, some classical and a few other test songs and albums. I definitely am not a bass head!

On my short list currently is the AKG K550. I am still giving the Logitech UE6000 a chance, I'm just not thrilled - to me, the UE6000 just sounds a bit flat and lifeless in passive mode and way overblown in NC mode. Also, the cord is too short and sorta' ugly.

I am also interested in the AKG K267 except they are not that available and certainly haven't been reviewed extensively. Comfort is important and one thing I like about the AKG K550's is the long cord.

Currently, I would like a set of cans that don't need an amp, though I would be open to getting one down the road. That way I can use the headphones I eventually purchase with my iPad without having to have an external DAC, headphone amp.

I hope I have spelled out a little bit about what I hope to get in a new headphone.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions?

TIA

Not having an amp greatly limits your options.  Is it correct that you are considering only closed cans?

The K 550 is well regarded by those who are able to secure a proper seal with it.  I you like the sound and your equipment will drive it to your satisfaction, it seems like a good choice.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #23,674 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey full-size experts,

I want to replace my HD555s (tape modded).  I also have a D2000 and Sextett, but want something to complement both AND expand soundstage.  I found the HD555(595?) to have extremely dull treble.
So to sum up:

- Superwide soundstage
- warmish, with clear treble and mids
- <$200

ring any bells?  I already had one suggestion for HD580.

No--not for under $200 new.  I assume you know that the HD 580 is a discontinued can.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #23,675 of 29,490
Quote:
Howdy folks,

I've been researching headphones and amp/dac pairings for the last few months and since bonuses are due at work, I've decided to upgrade my current setup: HD-595 & Pico Dac/Amp combo. I have $1500 to $2000 to spend and so far I'm interested in the LCD-2, HE-500, and T1 (used) paired possibly with Schiit Bifrost and Lyr or Asgard. I listen to a wide range of genres (lots of Radiohead, Tori Amos, Bjork, Fever Ray/Knife, Rush, Armin van Buuren, and MBV) so a jack of all trades setup would be preferred. I have FLAC recordings, but as of late I've been listening to Spotify premium, thus I'd like a phone that performs well with subpar source material.

I realize I may be asking a bit much from one setup. Hopefully some folks may be able to offer a head-fi novice some suggestions to best maximize his bang-for-the-buck.

Thanks!

I've heard the first two on your list, both are fantastic but I prefer LCD-2 for their deep (deep) bass.  But that is just one opinion- there are threads with polls so you can see the collective opinion of many people.  Then check out the amp threads for each discussing good headphone pairings.  Be careful, amp discussions (unlike headphone discussions
size]
) are talking about relatively small differences, so don't drink the cool-aid and get something competent and inexpensive.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #23,676 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I would recommend a Shure SRH940, although the mid-bass might be not as pronounced as a Grado. The K 701's (or the Q 701's) are kind of the open-back, more relaxing version of the SRH940 with a tad bit more bass extension.

How are the Shure 940 regarding sibilance? I usually have problems with female voices especially.

I'm sensitive to sibilance as (I can't stand the Sennheiser Amperior/HD25-i-ii and Ultrasone headphones in general) well and I don't have a problem with the SRH940.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #23,677 of 29,490
Quote:
Please someone help me :frowning2: I have no way to test them. 

I'm legit going to make a decision based on what you guys say.

I'm now thinking the LCD-3s might be the best option..  but I'm not sure if they work well with a sub-par amp / comfort. 

LCD-2 Bamboo are a better option- 99% of the headphone for 50% the price.  And they're light.  Don't worry about getting another amp, I run my LCD-2 off a udac sometimes in the kitchen and they still sound amazing.  With the savings you can get another amp, or upgrade later after you've heard them off a powerful amp and think it's worth the premium..

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #23,678 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Please someone help me :frowning2: I have no way to test them. 

I'm legit going to make a decision based on what you guys say.

I'm now thinking the LCD-3s might be the best option..  but I'm not sure if they work well with a sub-par amp / comfort. 

LCD-2 Bamboo are a better option- 99% of the headphone for 50% the price.  And they're light.  Don't worry about getting another amp, I run my LCD-2 off a udac sometimes in the kitchen and they still sound amazing.  With the savings you can get another amp, or upgrade later after you've heard them off a powerful amp and think it's worth the premium..

Weight: 550 g, without cable.
^ that's considered light? O_O
Every time I've tried the LCD-2's they were like lead weights on the side of my head. I'm always afraid of them falling off and breaking someone else's $1000 headphone.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #23,680 of 29,490
Quote:

That's the weight of the rosewood cups.  The bamboo ones are lighter.

Are the LCD2s going to be a good step in from the senn hd650s?

I have nothing against my senns but I do wish they were a little more in-your-face. Will the LCDs satisfy this?

The other serious contender is the T1 - I don't have an amp anywhere near good enough to play with the HD800s.

I like that you said the LCD2s have 99% of the sound of the LCD3s, I'm happy to save $1000 if I can!

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #23,681 of 29,490
I have literally been losing sleep trying to pick. Same thing happened to me when I was picking which grados to get, and same thing happened when I was picking my Senns!

My other question is whether the lcds are actually comfortable. I wear headpones studying and if I can't wear them for a couple hours in a row without fatigue, I don't really see the point. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #23,682 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, Head-Fi,

After reading a bunch of reviews about six months ago, I picked up a set of Monoprice 8323's. I've been moderately happy with them, with a couple of caveats.  Though sound reproduction seems pretty good to my non-audiophile ears, the soundstage feels very small...there's no sense of space at all.  More significantly, the headband has started to crack on both sides.  I've probably got about a week's worth of use left in them before the cracking makes them no longer fit firmly on my head (I've slid the worst side inside the top part of the band, but the other side is getting worse).  One feature I do like on this set is the removable cable.

I'm a grad student on budget...while a set of cans costing actual money will be in my future at some point, that point is not now.  The Monoprices are cheap enough that I could just pick up another pair, but I'm thinking I'd like to try something different.  Ideally, I'd not be looking above the USD$50 range, but could probably go a little bit higher if it would result in a significant improvement (music is one of the few things keeping my sanity intact, at this point).

I work in my home office, so sound isolation is a not a huge deal...I'd be interested in giving a more open set a try.  Most of the budget recommendations I've found are responses to people looking for closed models, so posting the question here.

I use headphones mostly so I can turn up the volume and zone into my work without disturbing my wife in the other room, or so I can listen at night. If she's watching TV, either one or both doors can be closed to reduce the sound bleeding in. I often wear them for hours at a time, so comfort is quite important.

Musically, I listen to mostly rock (from classic and prog to eclectic modern acts, including some fairly heavy) and classical, with some jazz, metal (mostly avant-garde or experimental), EDM (psytrance), and ambient. I game a bit when I have time, and there am looking more for immersiveness than competitiveness.  Most of my classical listening is pipe organ, so solid and non-muddy bass reproduction would be much appreciated.  Sources are mostly properly ripped FLACs, with about 30% of my collection still in MP3 or OGGs of various quality (and my tolerance level for bad rips has been steadily decreasing over the past few years).  For now, the 'phones will be driven off the onboard sound card on my desktop.

As mentioned, I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive set of around-the-ear headphones with a better soundstage than the 8323's. A headband designed to avoid stress fractures would also be desirable.  Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks!

You're in almost the identical situation that I was in just a week ago. I'm a second year grad student who was looking for a pair of headphones to use while at home when I can't use my desktops 2.0 setup while my wife is sleeping in the other room. I also game, but not competitively at all (skyrim, starcraft 2, portal 2, etc).

I ended up choosing between the Samson SR850, superlux hd668b, and the CAL! (rebadged Denon HD1001). I posted on this exact thread about a week and a half ago and after I saw that the CAL had dropped in price, I purchased those (having had good experiences with denon stuff in the past).

I have had them for a few days now, and while these are the only pair of over the ear headphones that I've ever owned, I can tell you what I think of them. I listen to mostly electronica, but occasionally other genres as well, and I'm driving mine through a Fiio E10 just FYI.

The CAL! is pretty comfortable, and even though I'm not "used" to headphones like this they don't bother me at all. I think the longest I've ever had them on consecutively so far is like 2-3 hrs, and while my ears were warmish, they weren't uncomfortable (they're a very light headphone with low clamping force).

The sound on them is pretty good. The bass is a bit overemphasized on mine, but its not muddy in any way, it is simply more prominent. They are very clear, and have worked great listening to everything from The Glitch Mob and Grammatik to Joe Satriani. The soundstage is also pretty good in my opinion but once again I don't have anything else to compare it with so I understand it might not mean too much.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you do. The upside is that if you're looking for something more comfortable than the 8323 that also has a larger sound stage, you're in luck. Those are the two things that many other headphones seem to have over them.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #23,683 of 29,490
Quote:
You can follow who will be playing at SxSW by checking this (as well as elsewhere on their site):

http://schedule.sxsw.com/?conference=music&lsort=name&day=ALL&event_type=showcase

I haven't spent any time with HD 380 because I had the much better (at least for my ears & needs) HD 598 before Senn raised the prices in the U.S. through their MAP.  The problem for you is that the 598 is open and leaks quite a bit.

For me the HD 380 is too big for portable use.  I very much like the HD 25-1 II for that purpose.

thanks man, I just went with the KNS : to be delivered today! all the best to you

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #23,685 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm sensitive to sibilance as (I can't stand the Sennheiser Amperior/HD25-i-ii and Ultrasone headphones in general) well and I don't have a problem with the SRH940.

I understand, great then. How are the Shure 840 in comparison? In case i don't have enough to buy the 940. Also I'm guessing that the Akg K701 doesn't have any sibilance problems aswell since you recommended it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back