++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 20, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #23,656 of 29,490
Quote:
Howdy folks,

I've been researching headphones and amp/dac pairings for the last few months and since bonuses are due at work, I've decided to upgrade my current setup: HD-595 & Pico Dac/Amp combo. I have $1500 to $2000 to spend and so far I'm interested in the LCD-2, HE-500, and T1 (used) paired possibly with Schiit Bifrost and Lyr or Asgard. I listen to a wide range of genres (lots of Radiohead, Tori Amos, Bjork, Fever Ray/Knife, Rush, Armin van Buuren, and MBV) so a jack of all trades setup would be preferred. I have FLAC recordings, but as of late I've been listening to Spotify premium, thus I'd like a phone that performs well with subpar source material.

I realize I may be asking a bit much from one setup. Hopefully some folks may be able to offer a head-fi novice some suggestions to best maximize his bang-for-the-buck.

Thanks!

I used to run an Audio GD NFB-10SE with an HE-6 before before moving to my current desktop stack. For a $500 dac/amp box it performed admirably with the ortho and the Q701, HD 580, and DT 990 I used to own. Other head-fiers also reported hearing good things with the HE-500 and LCD-2 as well.

I currently own an Audio GD SA-31 amp that you could pair with one of their single ended Wolfson dacs and still stick to budget. It's powerful (10 W into 40 ohm), but still works with low impedance headphones. I've also heard and can recommend the Schiit Lyr/Bitfrost and for a bit more, the Yulong A18/D18 stack (you'll need to buy this used, but someone is currently selling a set in the forums). I'm fairly positive that there's an SA-31 up for grabs there as well.

Headphone comes down to personal preference, but the HE-500 is the best value and what I feel to be the most well rounded of the three you mention.

Edit - didn't notice you wanted to keep the E9 amp. In that case, the LCD-2 is probably the least demanding of chain quality while having lower power requirements than the HE-500. However, all of the headphones on your list would benefit from a better source and amp.

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #23,657 of 29,490
Quote:
I was recently looking to pick up a new pair of headphones. Currently all I have owned is the stock apple headphones and a pair of Seinn HD 428. I was looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and they seem to get great reviews. Are these gonna give me a noticeable difference in quality from my HD 428 and are they good for just casual listening since I won't use them for any mixing? Open to recommendations in the same price range.

I have heard alot about the ATH-M50 but the AD700 too, also from audio-technica , you should look into it.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #23,659 of 29,490
Quote:
I own some hd650s that I use an xcan amp to drive with 320kbps files from my iPhone. I love that set up. The sound is in my sweet spot and it makes me happy. But alas, I'm tethered. The line out device I'm using just isn't tolerant to being moved much. I have some great shure iems that I use when I exercise. I love them, but they're not my sennheisers. I've thought about getting the momentums to get more of that sennheiser sound without being tethered as long as I'm just moving around and not working out. But actually, I'd rather have open headphones.

Are there any low impedance open headphones that could be driven from an iPhone? I think the closed momentums would be ok, but I'd hate to lose the highs I have with my 650s. What headphones might get me close to a hd650 sound without requiring an amp? Does something like that even exist?

Music I listen to ranges from BUCK-TICK to Solar Fields, classical to industrial metal and then bouncing over to Infected Mushroom.

Thanks for any advice.

For open headphones, both the Audio Technica Air series and Grados can be driven to extremely loud volume off a phone. My AD1000PRM is airier and quicker than the Senn, but not as weighty sounding while my HF2 has less soundstage but more speed. I'd say both are comparable in overall sound quality.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #23,660 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Currently at a low price, original about $75-$80.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358707178&sr=8-1&keywords=creative+aurvana+live

So.. these fit the bill entirely? Partially? Why these over one of the other zillion options?

You'll be hard pressed to do better for under $80 or even more.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #23,661 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, Head-Fi,

After reading a bunch of reviews about six months ago, I picked up a set of Monoprice 8323's. I've been moderately happy with them, with a couple of caveats.  Though sound reproduction seems pretty good to my non-audiophile ears, the soundstage feels very small...there's no sense of space at all.  More significantly, the headband has started to crack on both sides.  I've probably got about a week's worth of use left in them before the cracking makes them no longer fit firmly on my head (I've slid the worst side inside the top part of the band, but the other side is getting worse).  One feature I do like on this set is the removable cable.

I'm a grad student on budget...while a set of cans costing actual money will be in my future at some point, that point is not now.  The Monoprices are cheap enough that I could just pick up another pair, but I'm thinking I'd like to try something different.  Ideally, I'd not be looking above the USD$50 range, but could probably go a little bit higher if it would result in a significant improvement (music is one of the few things keeping my sanity intact, at this point).

I work in my home office, so sound isolation is a not a huge deal...I'd be interested in giving a more open set a try.  Most of the budget recommendations I've found are responses to people looking for closed models, so posting the question here.

I use headphones mostly so I can turn up the volume and zone into my work without disturbing my wife in the other room, or so I can listen at night. If she's watching TV, either one or both doors can be closed to reduce the sound bleeding in. I often wear them for hours at a time, so comfort is quite important.

Musically, I listen to mostly rock (from classic and prog to eclectic modern acts, including some fairly heavy) and classical, with some jazz, metal (mostly avant-garde or experimental), EDM (psytrance), and ambient. I game a bit when I have time, and there am looking more for immersiveness than competitiveness.  Most of my classical listening is pipe organ, so solid and non-muddy bass reproduction would be much appreciated.  Sources are mostly properly ripped FLACs, with about 30% of my collection still in MP3 or OGGs of various quality (and my tolerance level for bad rips has been steadily decreasing over the past few years).  For now, the 'phones will be driven off the onboard sound card on my desktop.

As mentioned, I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive set of around-the-ear headphones with a better soundstage than the 8323's. A headband designed to avoid stress fractures would also be desirable.  Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks!

The CAL! is currently just under $60 at Amazon.  It ifs one of only a small number heaphones that is worth having at a low price point.  It is also very efficient, which means that most anything will drive it.  It has a plug togeher cable that allows easy use from portable and at home devices.  It is much more accurate and balanced than the Monoprice.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #23,662 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, i want a quick suggestion if anyone can give it to me. I have a pair of Senn HD 380 Pro and a pair of Grado SR80i and was thinking of getting another pair of headphones to complement these. IMO i think i should get a pair with good soundstage since i usually play games when i don't listen to music but i'm not so sure.

Another question: should i get an open or closed pair? I usually play on my laptop but the fans are pretty noisy especially under high strain. And if i'm going to buy an closed pair, will the soundstage be that much bigger than my HD 380?

What's your budget and preferred sound signature.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #23,663 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,

I would really appreciate some help in choosing new headphones. I am pretty torn. I would especially appreciate the opinion of someone that has all three or has tried all three extensively, as I'd like to avoid buyer's bias. 

My budget is $1000-2000

I'm using a pretty cheap amp - E17 / E09K.
I just bought the amp and I'm not keen to replace it yet.

I have grado sr325is and senn hd650. I like the senns but they could be more lively / detailed. The grados i like how detailed they are, but they don't seem as full as the senns, if that makes any sense. I don't find the grados comfortable though 

I've been looking at LCD-2/3, Senn HD800, Beyer T1, Hifiman HE-600

What should I get?

My main factors:
- bang for the buck
- noticeable improvement over senn hd650
- forgiving to a crappy amp (I may eventually upgrade, but I don't want to for now)
- good with all genres of music
- comfort

I'm currently thinking the beyer t1 might be the best?  I am unsure of how forgiving the lcd-2/3 are for a weak amp and i am worried about their comfort. 

You should pursue this in the Summit-Fi section of the forum.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #23,664 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
If your budget for the dac/amp is $1k, then get the bisfrost and lyr from schiit

Do you have a SS in mind? I don't want to go through the trouble of tube rolling. unless of course you can tell me right now what tubes I need for my specifications.

You're getting deep into the area of personal preference.  I suggest that you check the HE-500 appreciation thread and join the discussion there.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #23,665 of 29,490
I have been investigating the purchase of a set of closed full-size headphones for about a month. I really enjoy reading all the information available on this site. I have also been reading Tyll's really helpful site and have found that very helpful as well. Just as a caveat, I'm pretty new to all this!

I started my headphone research with a purchase of the Sennheiser Momentum's. I enjoyed the sound but the fit just wasn't right for me. After an hour or so, they hurt my ears. I always felt like my ears were being squashed inside the ear cups. The sound was nice and warm though I would have preferred a little more treble emphasis - not brassy mind you just a very small, smidgen more. They are in my price range $200 - $400.00

I have returned the Momentum's because of the fit (or lack thereof!) and now I'm trying out the Logitech UE6000. Much more comfortable! I don't think the sound is as nice as the Momentum's. I haven't done any appreciable burn in, just listened to them for about 5-10 hours so far. I feel that the sound in passive mode is a little flat and lacks oomph...I know - very technical. Also, the build quality is not nearly as nice as the Momentum's. In fact I had the whole force the cable into the female end of the phones problem. They just aren't as convincing a can as the Momentum's. Also, the UE6000 hurts the top of my head a little bit after I wear them for a few hours.

I have taken my iPad with some music to demo to Best Buy to try out the AKG K550. I really like that headphone! Sounds wonderful and I certainly like the "sound stage" which seems much more open to me than either the Momentum's or the UE6000. So I guess I like the AKG sound?!? Also, the AKG K550 is very comfortable and it seems to be really well built.

I don't plan on using the headphones I will be getting outside or for travel, though I could, it's just not a priority.I also really don't care about a control for the iPad or an iPhone.

I plan to have the phones connected to either my MacPro or to an iPad which hold my iTunes collection of Apple Lossless tunes that I have ripped from a CD library.

I listen to many, many different types of music but no hip-hop, rap. A little bit of electronica, some classical, lots of piano, classical and jazz (Bill Evans, Alan Broadbent) and I particularly like indie female vocalists in a folk vein, (Hem, Kathleen Edwards, Joni Mitchell, etc.) some country though not much, mostly "classical" country - Waylon Jennings, Dolly Parton, Jerry Jeff Walker. I'm also big into Neil Young, some blues, and some R & B and have been trying different phones (like the AKG K550 at Best Buy) with early Cat Stevens, some classical and a few other test songs and albums. I definitely am not a bass head!

On my short list currently is the AKG K550. I am still giving the Logitech UE6000 a chance, I'm just not thrilled - to me, the UE6000 just sounds a bit flat and lifeless in passive mode and way overblown in NC mode. Also, the cord is too short and sorta' ugly.

I am also interested in the AKG K267 except they are not that available and certainly haven't been reviewed extensively. Comfort is important and one thing I like about the AKG K550's is the long cord.

Currently, I would like a set of cans that don't need an amp, though I would be open to getting one down the road. That way I can use the headphones I eventually purchase with my iPad without having to have an external DAC, headphone amp.

I hope I have spelled out a little bit about what I hope to get in a new headphone.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions?

TIA

Edit:
I forgot to mention that I am also investigating the AKG K167 headphones. I'd be interested in getting a headphone amp/dac, just not now. I'll get the headphones and then be saving up for the amp/dac.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #23,666 of 29,490
OK, I found out that I should be able to get a USB DAC to work with my tablet, so that leaves ~$350 for headphones.

Any ideas? Again I mainly listen to electronic stuff with a bit if indie rock, I'm looking for at least somewhat portable closed over ear headphones and I'd like to avoid over powering bass Thanks in advance.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #23,667 of 29,490
Quote:
Wow, with 24,000 posts, I'll be surprised if my question finds an answer, but head fi seems pretty adamant this is the place to start. 

I have a pair of Klipsch Forte IIs which I love.  I would never listen to headphones given my druthers, but sometimes it is necessary (the wife is sleeping).  I have a pair of Shure SRH840s, which are OK, but I want an experience closer to "open room with speakers."  I recently auditioned the Grado SR225is, having recently read good things about open back designs, but they didn't offer enough difference to warrant the switch.  The PSB M4Us claim to have Room Feel (tm), but I dunno (no audition yet).  So, any ideas on a $ 200 - 400 pair of cans that give that open room feeling? 

Note: I don't need noise cancelling, and all earbuds are out.

To get the sound stage you seek, you'll need open cans.   Not all open cans have a large sound stage and the the Grado is one of those that doesn't.  However, open cans leak sound and will make a sleeping wife very unhappy if she is close enough to hear the leaked sound.

If you are still interested, we will need to know:

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Most of us have not heard your speakers.  Describe the sound signature that you are seeking.

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #23,668 of 29,490
Quote:
Howdy folks,

I've been researching headphones and amp/dac pairings for the last few months and since bonuses are due at work, I've decided to upgrade my current setup: HD-595 & Pico Dac/Amp combo. I have $1500 to $2000 to spend and so far I'm interested in the LCD-2, HE-500, and T1 (used) paired possibly with Schiit Bifrost and Lyr or Asgard. I listen to a wide range of genres (lots of Radiohead, Tori Amos, Bjork, Fever Ray/Knife, Rush, Armin van Buuren, and MBV) so a jack of all trades setup would be preferred. I have FLAC recordings, but as of late I've been listening to Spotify premium, thus I'd like a phone that performs well with subpar source material.

I realize I may be asking a bit much from one setup. Hopefully some folks may be able to offer a head-fi novice some suggestions to best maximize his bang-for-the-buck.

Thanks!

All three of these cans are excellent.  Perhaps you should start by reading about each of them (and perhaps others) here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12

Once you have decided on the can that best needs your needs and budget, you can then select an amp and other equipment that works well with it.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #23,669 of 29,490
Quote:
I own some hd650s that I use an xcan amp to drive with 320kbps files from my iPhone. I love that set up. The sound is in my sweet spot and it makes me happy. But alas, I'm tethered. The line out device I'm using just isn't tolerant to being moved much. I have some great shure iems that I use when I exercise. I love them, but they're not my sennheisers. I've thought about getting the momentums to get more of that sennheiser sound without being tethered as long as I'm just moving around and not working out. But actually, I'd rather have open headphones.

Are there any low impedance open headphones that could be driven from an iPhone? I think the closed momentums would be ok, but I'd hate to lose the highs I have with my 650s. What headphones might get me close to a hd650 sound without requiring an amp? Does something like that even exist?

Music I listen to ranges from BUCK-TICK to Solar Fields, classical to industrial metal and then bouncing over to Infected Mushroom.

Thanks for any advice.

The HD 650 is open and requires a good amount of power to drive it properly.  I don't think you can find a closed can that can be driven by an unamped iPhone that will match your HD 650.  Your best matches are either the Senn Amperior or bassier Beyer DT 1350.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #23,670 of 29,490
Quote:
I was recently looking to pick up a new pair of headphones. Currently all I have owned is the stock apple headphones and a pair of Seinn HD 428. I was looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and they seem to get great reviews. Are these gonna give me a noticeable difference in quality from my HD 428 and are they good for just casual listening since I won't use them for any mixing? Open to recommendations in the same price range.

The M50 have a bassie sound but at the cost of recessed mids.  They also have a very long fixed headphone cord.  To help you in a meaningful way, we will need to know:

What is your budget?

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back