++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 14, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #23,356 of 29,490
Finally after over a year away from searching for a good headphone, I'm back to it. My ignorance in this hobby is still quite large and frankly I don't know where to begin. I've spent the past week or so ghosting around on this site in hopes of getting a good selection of possibilities to work with and narrow down but so far I'm still at a loss on what to go for.

Been trying to hold off on buying a pair for a while now but my 7 year old Bose cans have finally decided they were done with pleasing my ears and bit the bullet. So now I'm back in the market.

To start it off:

I'm looking for a comfortable full sized headphone that can be worn for hours on end. My budget is around $250, but don't hold back from listing pricier ones! I can always look around for deals on them. I am trying my best to stay away from needing an amp but if one would help make my listening experience all the better than I am totally okay with looking into getting one!

As for music and overall use:

I listen to just about any kind of music out there but primarily blue grass/orchestral/country/metal/electronic/techno. I do love some bass but at the same time I don't want it to be to overpowering. I'm really untrained in quality sound though, so I'm sure any nice headphone would bring a world of happiness to my ears.

Also I'd use it for extensive gaming so I'm assuming a nice large sound-stage would be useful here? Would closed cans do well with this or only open cans?

One other thing, I listen to music all the time in the office (share a large office with 3 other people) so I guess that open back headphones would be a no go in that situation. When it comes to use at home, I could care less if they were open cans.

So to sum it up I'd like a closed back headphone for gaming,music, use in the office, and hopefully no need for an amp but if one is recommended I'm more than willing to give it a shot!

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #23,357 of 29,490
Quote:
Although I admit that Bose has probably the best noise cancelling headphones (QC15), and have exceptional comfort, I honestly can't think of anything that has more noise isolation than the AE2 at the top of my head. The isolation measurement for the AE2 is -15 decibels, which is a lot of noise isolation. The closest thing that comes to it is the Beats Solo....but it's Beats, 'nuff said.

Maybe a KRK KNS 6400, or Beyerdynamic DT770?

Thanks for the response I also came across these headphones and video wonder would these be as good as the ones you recommended to me in terms of what I'm looking for?

Again thank you for your time and consideration.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #23,358 of 29,490
V-MODA M-80 is balanced-sounding so it's probably not a basshead's favourite. The LP or LP2 is much more bass-oriented so that might be what you're looking for if you're only looking for bass.
ATH-M50 is more like the M-80 than the LP/LP2 so it probably won't satisfy a basshead's needs. It does have a slight emphasis on bass though.
I can't comment on the K167 since I haven't heard them before, but initial reviews are pretty positive; likewise for the DT770.

For ~$200 you might also want to take a look at the Phiaton MS400. I was recommended that in my early days here on Head-Fi. That or an Ultrasone HFI-580 or HFI-780.

I thought that the LP2 bass is muddy or something and it overpowers mids. Or it isn't the case?
How is the HFI-580 in terms of bass and isolation?

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #23,359 of 29,490
I have only listened to the LP, but t bass on those is a bit muddy, I would assume that it was improved in the LP2. The HFI-580 is a mid-bass heavy can. Supposedly it isolates well. For portable use I wouldn't recommend the HFI-580, due to its cable being attached and three meters long but for home I've heard they are a great entry level pair of cans! 

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #23,360 of 29,490
hello I just ordered some HE-400s that are in the mail right now and I am looking for the cheapest possible amp/dac combo (together or stand alone) that will be able to power these decently. I am currently looking at the schiit stack at around $200 and that is about the most i would be willing to spend seeing as i just dropped $400 on cans and am a collage student. Is there anything below this price that would get me as good of a sound quality or is that stack a good buy for me. I also have no need for portability at all. 

thanks

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #23,361 of 29,490
Hello, I'm a noob.

I currently own Klipsch S4, Sennheiser 680i and Beats Pro. I listen to everything, but mostly R&B and hip-hop/rap.

I'm looking for a pair of new headphones. Specifically, clearer sound than the Klipsch S4 and a rich bass, a little like the Beats Pro, but more comfortable and easy on the ears.

I'm looking at Sennheiser's HD 558 (I've tried these, but I feel like the bass can be a bit louder), HD 280 Pro and PXC 450. I've read that Audio Technica's ATH-M50's are great too, but I'm looking for something with a detachable cord.

Give me recommendations! Any brand is fine.

Thanks.

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #23,362 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, I'm a noob.

I currently own Klipsch S4, Sennheiser 680i and Beats Pro. I listen to everything, but mostly R&B and hip-hop/rap.

I'm looking for a pair of new headphones. Specifically, clearer sound than the Klipsch S4 and a rich bass, a little like the Beats Pro, but more comfortable and easy on the ears.

I'm looking at Sennheiser's HD 558 (I've tried these, but I feel like the bass can be a bit louder), HD 280 Pro and PXC 450. I've read that Audio Technica's ATH-M50's are great too, but I'm looking for something with a detachable cord.

Give me recommendations! Any brand is fine.

Thanks.

Ultrasone HFI-2400. What's your budget btw?

It won't have the amount of bass you get from your Beats Pros, but still on the bassy side. Other than the bass though, it is a much better sounding headphone than the Pros. Pretty comfortable to wear, too.

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #23,363 of 29,490
Quote:

It won't have the amount of bass you get from your Beats Pros, but still on the bassy side. Other than the bass though, it is a much better sounding headphone than the Pros. Pretty comfortable to wear, too.

Thank you for the response.

I will definitely check out your recommendation. My budget would be less than or at $250.

Another thing I forgot to add is that I'm also looking for headphone that can fold like the Beats Pro because I travel a lot.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #23,364 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
V-MODA M-80 is balanced-sounding so it's probably not a basshead's favourite. The LP or LP2 is much more bass-oriented so that might be what you're looking for if you're only looking for bass.
ATH-M50 is more like the M-80 than the LP/LP2 so it probably won't satisfy a basshead's needs. It does have a slight emphasis on bass though.
I can't comment on the K167 since I haven't heard them before, but initial reviews are pretty positive; likewise for the DT770.

For ~$200 you might also want to take a look at the Phiaton MS400. I was recommended that in my early days here on Head-Fi. That or an Ultrasone HFI-580 or HFI-780.

I thought that the LP2 bass is muddy or something and it overpowers mids. Or it isn't the case?
How is the HFI-580 in terms of bass and isolation?

Yeah I tried the LP at a Microsoft Store and didn't like how the bass and midrange were rendered; bass was kind of loose-sounding and overpowering, and the midrange seemed recessed.
I think the HFI-580 would be a better bet in terms of bass and noise isolation. I've tried the HFI-780 and they actually weren't all that bad, so the sound of the HFI-580 shouldn't be too different I think.

Quote:
Quote:
Although I admit that Bose has probably the best noise cancelling headphones (QC15), and have exceptional comfort, I honestly can't think of anything that has more noise isolation than the AE2 at the top of my head. The isolation measurement for the AE2 is -15 decibels, which is a lot of noise isolation. The closest thing that comes to it is the Beats Solo....but it's Beats, 'nuff said.

Maybe a KRK KNS 6400, or Beyerdynamic DT770?

Thanks for the response I also came across these headphones and video wonder would these be as good as the ones you recommended to me in terms of what I'm looking for?

Again thank you for your time and consideration.

Oh yeah I totally forgot about the UE6000's. I find them to be comfortable even though they are rather heavy headphones (good padding in the earcups I suppose), and the sound quality is actually pretty good for the price. They won't have as much noise isolation looking at the Innerfidelity measurements, but I found them pretty good with passive noise isolation. The active noise cancellation on the other hand...didn't work very well (similar to the Beats Studio noise cancelling effect), and they add an equalizer to the headphones so it won't quite sound the same as if the active noise cancelling was off. Still, with active noise cancelling off, the UE6000 is a very good headphone for the price from my experience. If you have the opportunity, you should give them a try at a local Apple Store (for noise isolation at least; they tethered the removable cable so you can't use your own but if you're lucky you can unplug the iPod end and put it in your own source).

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #23,365 of 29,490
Quote:
I hope I'm posting this to the correct thread
smile.gif

I purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD439 on sale for 99 online, but found the size a bit big to use at work, although they sounded good. Its the first full size headphone I ever had.   I was looking to replace them with IEMs at first for portability but at the store they had the Sennheiser Momentums on sale for 299 Canadian, so I thought what the heck and picked them up since it seemed like a good deal. and they were a bit smaller in size.

Although I like the Sennheiser Momentum, I just find them a bit too much bass on some music.  Maybe its the music I was testing them with.  I was listening to CD by M83, and also listened to some streaming audio and some mp3 files. I also tried some classical music CD's as well.

I just felt like for the money there may be a better set of headphones that sound better. 
I can still return the Momentums but not sure what to replace them with.
I can go back to the HD439, or then the store also has the HD558

Or save my money and return everything

Should I keep the Momentums or is there something better that I could have gotten for that money?

EDIT:  I read on this forum some reviewed the AKG K550/K551 which are also closed to have more clarity than the Momentums.  I think that's what I was missing on the Momentums was a brighter clearer sound. 

Would the AKG K551 also be a possibility?

(I kind of like the fact I can use them with any input source.  I really don't want to carry around a portable amp everywhere I go)

Have you considered the Amperior?

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #23,366 of 29,490
Quote:
hello I just ordered some HE-400s that are in the mail right now and I am looking for the cheapest possible amp/dac combo (together or stand alone) that will be able to power these decently. I am currently looking at the schiit stack at around $200 and that is about the most i would be willing to spend seeing as i just dropped $400 on cans and am a collage student. Is there anything below this price that would get me as good of a sound quality or is that stack a good buy for me. I also have no need for portability at all. 

thanks

That's a good option [he said only having heard the Asgard and never having heard this new equipment just out the Shiit shute.  I don't know if the hybrid HiFiMan EF2A amp/dac will push them adequately, but HiFiMan sure should.   I know it won't drive the HE-500.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #23,367 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for the response.

I will definitely check out your recommendation. My budget would be less than or at $250.

Another thing I forgot to add is that I'm also looking for headphone that can fold like the Beats Pro because I travel a lot.

Check out the Pro 750--although you will need an amp.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #23,369 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

thanks

That's a good option [he said only having heard the Asgard and never having heard this new equipment just out the Shiit shute.  I don't know if the hybrid HiFiMan EF2A amp/dac will push them adequately, but HiFiMan sure should.   I know it won't drive the HE-500.

I think I recall some people having problems with the HE-400 and the Schiit Stack. I could be wrong though.
Another alternative to the Schiit Stack would be the O2/ODAC combo, which I've read works pretty well with the HE-400's.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #23,370 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,
What do you think of the Ultrasone Signature Pro?
Is it a really good and durable closed headphone? How is the bass?

Very very good can , well appreciated here or there by experienced audiophiles. it's close to neutral but keep a "Ultrasone" touch : impressive bass quality (deep , textured , clear and impactful) , clear extended trebles but never harsh, dynamic and energetic overall sound. The Sig pro add very good mids too in order to be maybe the more balanced/neutral Ultrasone. Soundstage is good with very good depth but less width than the best open cans. It's not a deal breaker although you listen only to Symphonies IMO. At last, sound presentation is quite forward and immersive.

Extremely good headphone in my opinion; very detailed and accurate . Maybe a bit cold but this point is inherent to its temperament. A tube or hybrid amp can bring all necessery "humanity' to compliment perfectly the Sig pro. You must notice the SP don't need any amp to perform very well although a suitable amp brings the SP to its best.

Definitely one of the best choices in closed can . You can also consider the Signature DJ which is globally the same with a more V-shaped signature. Maybe a better choice to get more bass with the same overall quality. it's a matter of preference or Musical tastes.

Isolation is perfect. Comfort very good ( maybe clamping is a bit strong) . Sig pro is build as a tank and has an inconspicuous appearance. If you prefer Luxurious aspect , it's not the best choice :)

After all, it's a refined , accurate , detailed headphone. It don't "wow" you at the first listening like more "fun" cans. but after few hours when ears and brain are washed from bad habits , the truth finally come .
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back