++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 15, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #23,386 of 29,490
Current setup

Onboard -> Zero+ DAC -> Aego M 2.1 / Klipsch X10

Looking for a Headphone that are able to play Movies and Games. Music would be a good addition but with my budget of around $100 I am not sure if an all around headphones can be gotten. Therefore, I guess leaving it up to my Klipsch X10 for some music listening.

Currently I had the intention to get a Asus Xonar DG for its Dolby Headphone to get the virtual surround sound.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #23,387 of 29,490
Hi, I am looking at buying some headphones purely for mixing at home. I have been searching the forums constantly trying to find an answer, but haven't been able to make a definitive decision on a pair.

I know it's all personal preference, but I just wanted to see what the most recommended is. Unfortunately I have been unable to find a place to audition these headphones and most online retailers don't allow returns due to hygiene reasons.

I don't have a strict budget but I'd like to keep under the £200 as they are for home studio use only.

So far my list stands at:

Audio Technica ATH M50 - £120
KRK KNS8400 - £129
Beyerdynamic DT880 pro 250ohm - £185
Shure - SRH940 - £179

Not sure if the DT880's or the Shure's are worth the extra???

I don't mind open or closed back and I mostly record guitar based music.

All replies & suggestions much appreciated.

Carl
user_online.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #23,388 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,
After extensive research and thinking I think I made my decision!
i) I am looking for a very durable, comfortable, closed, great isolation and fun to listen to headphone for about $250
My current options are:
1) Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
2) Audio-Technica M50
3) V-Moda CrossFade M100
5) AKG K 550
6) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

ii) I am also looking for earphones with similar features to the headphones above for about $100 so what are my options?
iii) I am looking for very good USB DAC+AMP for about $100-$150.
Any help is very much appreciated!

M-100 and the only DAC/Amp I can think of for $100 is the fiio E17 or E7

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #23,390 of 29,490
Quote:
I think it is between the M100 and the Custom One Pro. Any suggestions?

In my opinion, the Custom One Pro would be a much better choice
Only about $200.
The M100 is actually about $300, and, due to the vents on the side, has quite less isolation than the Custom One Pro.

For an amp/DAC in that price range, what comes to mind is the FiiO E07K, FiiO E17, iBasso D-Zero, and iBasso T5.
Can't necessarily recommend any of those. Those are just suggestions.

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #23,391 of 29,490
Quote:
In my opinion, the Custom One Pro would be a much better choice
Only about $200.
The M100 is actually about $300, and, due to the vents on the side, has quite less isolation than the Custom One Pro.

For an amp/DAC in that price range, what comes to mind is the FiiO E07K, FiiO E17, iBasso D-Zero, and iBasso T5.
Can't necessarily recommend any of those. Those are just suggestions.

I will probably get the Custom One Pro, not sure though.
Is the total bithead amp/dac any good?

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #23,393 of 29,490
Hey, I am looking to buy some new headphones for at home use. My preference is over ear open back, but I will consider other options! Looking to spend up to £100 (buying in UK), and they will be plugged into my laptop most of time, playing anything from from metal (Pantera, Metallica, Ozzy etc.) to dubstep (Burial). Any help appreciated :D

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #23,394 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey, I am looking to buy some new headphones for at home use. My preference is over ear open back, but I will consider other options! Looking to spend up to £100 (buying in UK), and they will be plugged into my laptop most of time, playing anything from from metal (Pantera, Metallica, Ozzy etc.) to dubstep (Burial). Any help appreciated
biggrin.gif

Hey, I know these are a bit under your price range, but, the Takstar Hi2050 are absolutely fantastic for only $70. 
No amplifier is needed for them.
They have a very similar sound to the Beyerdynamic DT880, which cost about 3x the price.
I highly recommend the Hi2050 

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #23,395 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey, I am looking to buy some new headphones for at home use. My preference is over ear open back, but I will consider other options! Looking to spend up to £100 (buying in UK), and they will be plugged into my laptop most of time, playing anything from from metal (Pantera, Metallica, Ozzy etc.) to dubstep (Burial). Any help appreciated
biggrin.gif

Check out the Audio Technica ATH M50s can be had for around £100-£120 ebay has a few slightly cheaper, but sounds perfect for what you need. I am seriously considering them myself but am torn between those and the Beyerdynamic DT880 pro's but will cost about 85% more!!!

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #23,396 of 29,490
Quote:

Check out the Audio Technica ATH M50s can be had for around £100-£120 ebay has a few slightly cheaper, but sounds perfect for what you need. I am seriously considering them myself but am torn between those and the Beyerdynamic DT880 pro's but will cost about 85% more!!!

-Sigh-
If I had a dollar for every time someone recommended those on here, I would be absolutely rich.

The M50 is overrated for the price it costs. Plus, it is closed back, which is a minus.
The sound is cramped into a small cup. It is inferior to open-backed headphones in the same price.

Don't get the M50.

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #23,397 of 29,490
Quote:
-Sigh-
If I had a dollar for every time someone recommended those on here, I would be absolutely rich.

The M50 is overrated for the price it costs. Plus, it is closed back, which is a minus.
The sound is cramped into a small cup. It is inferior to open-backed headphones in the same price.

Don't get the M50.

But closed is a plus for many people :frowning2:

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #23,398 of 29,490
Quote:
-Sigh-

Don't get the M50.

But closed is a plus for many people :frowning2:

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #23,399 of 29,490
Quote:
-Sigh-

Don't get the M50.

They must get recommended for a reason no? They can't be that bad can they? and open back vs closed is another preference thing, I wouldn't say it was a minus.

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #23,400 of 29,490
hey thanks for the feed back I am seeing that there was some different opinions on the schiit stack and the HE-400. Does anyone know how the maverick audio tubemagic D1 would sound with the HE-400s or if there is a better amp/dac (combo or stand alone)  for them in the $200 price range I am open to any suggestions. Also how much of a difference will I hear from one of the $200 amp/dac from the fiio e10 which I am thinking about also if the difference will not be to great.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back