++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #23,341 of 29,490
780's are great for the genres of music you listen to. You may want to EQ the bass up a little for some hip hop tracks but for gaming and electronica, the 780 is great! I have the DT 770's and personally wasn't impressed.
Why weren't you impressed? Lack of bass? Just not that good sounding?
Also, the 780s will still sound good for classic rock and the likes, right?

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #23,342 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm not sure whether any Sennheiser would satisfy a basshead. I haven't heard the HD518 and I've read it's on the warm/bassy side, but we're still talking about the same driver that goes into the HD558... and that is hardly bassy at all.

Anyone else care to comment on the bass of the HD518?

Also, they are open, so they will leak music. Might not be the best choice for school.

The 518 has the most bass and is the darkest of the 5x8 series.  However, it is a long way from even basshead lite territory.

In my book basshead lite territory starts with (or at least starts right after)  the M-50 and DT-770.

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #23,344 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking for headphones to use at school for music. I really only listen to hiphop and dubstep. I am a huge basshead. I have the XB 500 but i hate the looks, they look like tires on my ears. My limit is $250 with a portable amp included. Any good bass amps? I was thinking about getting the HD 518 but i dont know if it will fit my neeeds. Thanks guys. I am trying to a pair to buy by this friday

The V-MODA Crossfade LP2 sound like a perfect fit. What are your source components? If you have an iPod the I would recommend the Fiio E11 with a LOD, but if you have a different DAP the I would recommend the ZO2.3. 

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #23,345 of 29,490
I appreciate the feedback.  I have been reading up on the headphones that you suggested and they look great.  However, how is the soundstage, (I like to truly be surrounded in my music, I had the QC15s and hated them due to their "wall of sound" like soundstage)  Also, will these headphones leak?

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #23,349 of 29,490
I hope I'm posting this to the correct thread
smile.gif

I purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD439 on sale for 99 online, but found the size a bit big to use at work, although they sounded good. Its the first full size headphone I ever had.   I was looking to replace them with IEMs at first for portability but at the store they had the Sennheiser Momentums on sale for 299 Canadian, so I thought what the heck and picked them up since it seemed like a good deal. and they were a bit smaller in size.

Although I like the Sennheiser Momentum, I just find them a bit too much bass on some music.  Maybe its the music I was testing them with.  I was listening to CD by M83, and also listened to some streaming audio and some mp3 files. I also tried some classical music CD's as well.

I just felt like for the money there may be a better set of headphones that sound better. 
I can still return the Momentums but not sure what to replace them with.
I can go back to the HD439, or then the store also has the HD558

Or save my money and return everything

Should I keep the Momentums or is there something better that I could have gotten for that money?

EDIT:  I read on this forum some reviewed the AKG K550/K551 which are also closed to have more clarity than the Momentums.  I think that's what I was missing on the Momentums was a brighter clearer sound. 

Would the AKG K551 also be a possibility?

(I kind of like the fact I can use them with any input source.  I really don't want to carry around a portable amp everywhere I go)

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #23,351 of 29,490
Hello,
First I hope that I am posting in the right area.  
I have been hanging around for awhile now, but finally registered, mainly because I cannot find an answer to a question that I have.  (yes I used search.)
I have very strange listening habits mostly symphonic metal, orchestra, rock, alternative, metal and others, but those are my main categories.
I currently have a Fiio E17 Alpen that I use on both my computer and my galaxy nexus.  I currently have a pair of Grado SR80i, which up until this point have been my most expensive headphones other than for gaming.  I am currently looking for headphones that can fully utilize the Alpen.  I like the grado's but they are uncomfortable.  There is also something that I cannot place about them, that I quite do not like.  The treble and mids seem too high for my tastes, but I do like the clarity they give vocals, especially when it comes to my symphonic music.  
Personally, I do not care if they are full size, I actually prefer them, never been able to use earbuds. I do like the openness of the open back headphones but leakage is a problem.  Is there a pair of closed back headphones that will give me a great soundstage, but give the clarity with vocals and instruments similar to open back headphones?
I apologize if this is not the right area, and if I am not using proper terminology, but this is my first time posting here.  I am looking in the price range of $300-$600.
Thanks for your time.
Videlous

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #23,352 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,
First I hope that I am posting in the right area.  
I have been hanging around for awhile now, but finally registered, mainly because I cannot find an answer to a question that I have.  (yes I used search.)
I have very strange listening habits mostly symphonic metal, orchestra, rock, alternative, metal and others, but those are my main categories.
I currently have a Fiio E17 Alpen that I use on both my computer and my galaxy nexus.  I currently have a pair of Grado SR80i, which up until this point have been my most expensive headphones other than for gaming.  I am currently looking for headphones that can fully utilize the Alpen.  I like the grado's but they are uncomfortable.  There is also something that I cannot place about them, that I quite do not like.  The treble and mids seem too high for my tastes, but I do like the clarity they give vocals, especially when it comes to my symphonic music.  
Personally, I do not care if they are full size, I actually prefer them, never been able to use earbuds. I do like the openness of the open back headphones but leakage is a problem.  Is there a pair of closed back headphones that will give me a great soundstage, but give the clarity with vocals and instruments similar to open back headphones?
I apologize if this is not the right area, and if I am not using proper terminology, but this is my first time posting here.  I am looking in the price range of $300-$600.
Thanks for your time.
Videlous

Sounds like you might be interested in the T50RP Paradox: http://referencesounds.com/paradox.html

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #23,353 of 29,490
Quote:
I have a ipod 4rth gen and a galaxy s3. Which has better sound quality?

I attached the results of the galaxy S3 audio chipset tests by GSMarena:
Basically I don't think you will be able to see a difference between you ipod. Only thing, the S3 was noted to have a kinda low output power, so depending if you have high impedance headphones that could make a difference.
EDIT: You can also see that the frequency response is perfect.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #23,355 of 29,490
Quote:
Ipod touch 4rth gen. Both are 32 gb. I would rather use my phone but if the ipod is better than i see why not

I would use the S3 if I were you, I still think that with the LP2 and Digizoid ZO2.3 you will have a very good pairing for bass! not to mention they only cost around $250 together. I'm not 100% sure how the S3 works, so I think this as far as my advice goes, good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back