++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #23,102 of 29,490
Haven't been here in years, too lazy to look it up (Place has really grown) so I'll post here. Looking for a sub-$100 amp to match up with my newly required GRADO 60i phones. Also, should I try out the $35 buck pads Todd The Vinyl Junkie sells?

Thanks

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #23,103 of 29,490
Haven't been here in years, too lazy to look it up (Place has really grown) so I'll post here. Looking for a sub-$100 amp to match up with my newly required GRADO 60i phones. Also, should I try out the $35 buck pads Todd The Vinyl Junkie sells?

Thanks

Portable?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-10-1-amps-compared/0_20

Desktop:
Schiit Magni
Fiio E10

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #23,104 of 29,490
I made a topic earlier but this thread seems to suit it more.

I'm just looking for some headphones that are clear, with sharp mid/highs and warmer lows. It also needs to be quite portable and comfortable. I'm not looking for anything expensive--£20-40 should do. I tried some PortaPro's and they were much too bass/reverb heavy for me.

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #23,105 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The CAL! is a great choice.

Do you mean the 

[size=1.7em] Creative Aurvana Live?[/size]

Also, V-moda LP2 vs M80 --- which wins sound wise?

Yes that's the one.

The CAL! wins unless you are a basshead or basshead lite.  If so the M-80 will offer you the best of that sound signature.

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #23,107 of 29,490
Quote:

I'm just looking for some headphones that are clear, with sharp mid/highs and warmer lows. It also needs to be quite portable and comfortable. I'm not looking for anything expensive--£20-40 should do. I tried some PortaPro's and they were much too bass/reverb heavy for me.

If you can stretch your budget just a litte further I would suggest that you check out Koss DJ100.

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #23,109 of 29,490
Hey!  I've been looking for good headphones between $50-80 dollars.  

I listen to mostly techno/trance/(mostly bass stuff), while also playing many games on my PC (single player).  I eyed the Panasonic HTF 600-S awhile ago and heard they were a steal for the low price, but I was wondering if there was anything better in my price range (that leaks less sound hopefully as well).  

Thank you!!

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #23,110 of 29,490
Can anyone think of good (preferably circamaural) headphones to replace Beats Studio with? I'd like headphones with sound quality that is superior to that of Beats enough to justify the purchase. I'd also like them to be well-ballanced, I'm sort of sick of overbearing bass by now. the price should be about 100-150 eur; 200 max but they need to be really perfect for that price. Nice design wouldn't hurt either as I'd like to be wearing them outside although that isn't all that necessary. The possibility of wearing them around the neck without choking to death is always a plus.

from what I've tried on so far, Denon 1100 seemed a bit too brittle in terms of construction and the bass was just nauseating. sound quality in general was pretty good though, I loved the design and they are currently being sold on amazon for 50 GBP. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro on the other hand were much more sturdy, they also looked pretty good and the sound was just amazing. well, the best I've heard anyway. I haven't tried much besides beats and the god-awful WeSC Bongo. so I wouldn't really know. They seem to work pretty well with my phone as well, even without an amp. They were pretty large though and attempts to wear them around the neck resulted in me not being able to turn my head at all (or breathe for that matter).

can anyone think of any more alternatives? 

also, any good, not overly expensive IEMs for all the times when I'm not able to drag full-sized headphones around?

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #23,112 of 29,490
Quote:

Beyerdynamic DT-235 for a clear, lean, "hi-fi" sound.  I am listening to Bob Marley's "Exodus" with them, as I type this.  You cannot avoid just a little "boom" on that tune
smily_headphones1.gif
. The highs are sharp.  I switched to my CAL!, and the difference is stark: I think that on the DT-235 the highs are too sharp and overall the sound is too lean.  Still, within your budget, the DT-235 will be a good choice for the sound signature you want.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #23,113 of 29,490
Hey all, made an account years ago when I first was interested in the hobby and bought a pair of S4s (see avatar). Now, I've progressed much further with my collection, but am still skirting that mid-tier level as far as cans go.

I own a pair of HD428s and a Grado SR80, but have really wanted to step out into the next level for a while now. Unfortunately, I am on a college kid's budget so I'm sitting on a max of $200. My homework suggests that I'd be happy with either the M50 or the dt770/80 but I'm going to try and see if there's other options out there. I listen to mainly indie pop/rock (think Fun., Of Monsters and Men, or Grouplove) so if you can give me some recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Oh, one last thing. They should be closed cans since I do plan on using these around others quite often and don't want my music to be disruptive as I do tend to let the volume get away from me.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #23,114 of 29,490
HI Everyone,
I might be looking for a set of headphones that doesn't exist. So far i've tried Shure SRH440, Crossfade LP2, Sony MDR-XB500, and various others that don't *quite* meet my needs.

Can anyone suggest a pair that:
- have earpads as big as the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro pads, and preferably velour but doesn't have to be - i wear glasses so many headphones are uncomfortable for me
- can run from unamped sources (so impedance under 50 ohms) like a smartphone
- would prefer a slightly exaggerated bass response (unlike the 440s), but with mids & treble like the 440s (which i consider to be very nice), but it would be good if the headphones responded really well to being EQ'd (as in they are capable of really nice bass, it's just hidden until you bring it out)
- isolate like the DT770s and SRH440s do (both are pretty good in this department)

Recently i've purchased the Audio Technica ATH-A500X hoping that might be the answer.

If that doesn't work, the next on my list to buy is the Shure SRH840 or possibly the ATH-A900X - i'm nervous though - i'm dropping $200 *again* (i live in Australia and that's the cheapest i can buy them for online) and don't want it to go to waste. The Sennheiser PX360 is another contender (no not the PXC360 bluetooth model, the PX 360).

The Custom One Pro is another maybe, but some reviewers suggest they benefit from an amp? That's dropping $300 though.

Then I watched a Beyerdyanmic T5P review, and whilst an extremely positive review, my budget doesn't extend to $900 lol

(although maybe it should, because I reckon i've spent more than that in the last 6 months on headphones easy)

The Beyerdyanmic DT770 Pro is easily the most comfortable headphones i've ever had, they are a little heavy on the head but i've worn them everyday to and from work for over a year - it would be nice to not have to charge the amp all the time though. You just can't use these with an unamped Galaxy S3 phone at all - if you do the sound gets really distorted with no bass at all as you turn the volume up. In comparison, the Shure SRH440 are easily driven by the S3, with anything north of about 70% volume being too loud for me which is good because that compensates for poorly encoded sources or youtube videos with a soft volume.

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #23,115 of 29,490
Quote:
HI Everyone,
I might be looking for a set of headphones that doesn't exist. So far i've tried Shure SRH440, Crossfade LP2, Sony MDR-XB500, and various others that don't *quite* meet my needs.

Can anyone suggest a pair that:
- have earpads as big as the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro pads, and preferably velour but doesn't have to be - i wear glasses so many headphones are uncomfortable for me
- can run from unamped sources (so impedance under 50 ohms) like a smartphone
- would prefer a slightly exaggerated bass response (unlike the 440s), but with mids & treble like the 440s (which i consider to be very nice), but it would be good if the headphones responded really well to being EQ'd (as in they are capable of really nice bass, it's just hidden until you bring it out)
- isolate like the DT770s and SRH440s do (both are pretty good in this department)

Recently i've purchased the Audio Technica ATH-A500X hoping that might be the answer.

If that doesn't work, the next on my list to buy is the Shure SRH840 or possibly the ATH-A900X - i'm nervous though - i'm dropping $200 *again* (i live in Australia and that's the cheapest i can buy them for online) and don't want it to go to waste. The Sennheiser PX360 is another contender (no not the PXC360 bluetooth model, the PX 360).

The Custom One Pro is another maybe, but some reviewers suggest they benefit from an amp? That's dropping $300 though.

Then I watched a Beyerdyanmic T5P review, and whilst an extremely positive review, my budget doesn't extend to $900 lol

(although maybe it should, because I reckon i've spent more than that in the last 6 months on headphones easy)

The Beyerdyanmic DT770 Pro is easily the most comfortable headphones i've ever had, they are a little heavy on the head but i've worn them everyday to and from work for over a year - it would be nice to not have to charge the amp all the time though. You just can't use these with an unamped Galaxy S3 phone at all - if you do the sound gets really distorted with no bass at all as you turn the volume up. In comparison, the Shure SRH440 are easily driven by the S3, with anything north of about 70% volume being too loud for me which is good because that compensates for poorly encoded sources or youtube videos with a soft volume.

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. 
The COP can change its sound signature from no bass, to neutral, to somewhat bassy, to very bassy with the unique vent slider on the headphones. 
16 Ohms. Everything benefits from an amp. Everything.
But with only 16 ohms, an amp is not necessary AT ALL.
Beyerdynamic legendary comfort, but with pleather pads that can be swapped out for the DT770's Velour pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back