++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 9, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #23,086 of 29,490
Quote:

I actually DONT have a reciever.....that's part of the question.  Is that the best route to go? Buy a reciever....or would anyone here suggest another option?  Im also not sure if I can mic into a reciever?

You could look for an inexpensive dac that has usb and optical inputs that would connect from your computer & playstation and amplify with a stereo amp, or a built-in amp.  You can also find $100 usb dacs and feed that to a receiver that also has optical input, you could look for a used one in an a/v forum.  Then get one of the headphones KG Jag recommended.  Would be a shame to go below those headphones in quality, consider adding a little more to your budget.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #23,087 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Still haven't decided which of the DT 770 Pro's to go with. I have been reading some positive reviews of the LE in comparison.
  1. DT 770 Pro 250 - $184.95 + $60 portable amp
  2. DT 770 Pro 80 - $220 on Amazon
  3. DT 770 Pro LE 32  - $249 Turntable Labs

What portable amp would you pair the 250 with? Originally i had them paired with FiiO E11

If you have better pricing with reputable seller, please list link! 

Thanks so much for helping me navigate my first pair of good headphones!

The differences in sound are not going to be much. Just get the one honestly you can find the best deal on. Your Fiio E11 amp will run the 32, 80 or the 250 ohm just fine. No need to purchase a new amp. Just find your best deal and pull the trigger and enjoy. DT770+E11 is a nice set up, but you never mentioned your source.... ipod? phone?.. what are you using?

confused.gif
  They're completely different headphones.  250 is relatively flat & 80 is a bloated, screeching mess.

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #23,088 of 29,490
Quote:
I appreciate it. I will read his review. Directional is nice, but it isn't as much of a game changer for me since I don't play FPS games constantly. I did forget to mention I prefer a closed head phone.

I can vouch for DT770 80ohm. Its a great headphone, extremely comfortable, fun sounding, with great deep bass that can easily be eq'ed down if you find it too much, but I think its awesome, decent mids and great highs. Very good soundstage for closed headphones as well, tied with K550's for me, and they're very detailed. Its also great for games, but since you don't play, never mind. But its my main multipurpose headphone and I love it for that. It sounds mellow and smooth (not thin and bright at all like most Beyers) enough to use it all day for music, youtube, games, whatever without any fatigue. Sometimes I'm too lazy to plug other headphones in and put them on my head when listening to music, so I just stick with the DT770 and I can say they sound very good with any type of music.

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #23,089 of 29,490
Quote:

confused.gif
  They're completely different headphones.  250 is relatively flat & 80 is a bloated, screeching mess.

Gee thanks.  Two weeks of research for my first decent headphones that got glowing remarks are described as flat?  Did I just waist two weeks of my life?  I hope they are better than flat.  In $250 range for someone who wanted to avoid trending the Beats, what would you reccommend?

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #23,090 of 29,490
Quote:

confused.gif

Could not disagree more. Even if I take my K701's off and put 80 ohm's on, they still sound great, not in any way bloated, and especially not screeching.

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #23,091 of 29,490
Quote:
Gee thanks.  Two weeks of research for my first decent headphones that got glowing remarks are described as flat?  Did I just waist two weeks of my life?  I hope they are better than flat.  In $250 range for someone who wanted to avoid trending the Beats, what would you reccommend?

Flat is a good thing my friend- fewer excessive or overshadowed frequencies.  Here' a the plot of the very flat signatures of two of the most beloved headphones at head-fi, and the 80 & 600 ohm DT770.  Perhaps I should have said more tonally balanced.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #23,092 of 29,490
Hi fellow Headfiers,

I am currently considering the V-Moda M-100, my budget for the headphones is 300$. Need a full sized can size does not matter as long as the sound is worth dying for. I listen to Rap, Hip-Hop, Electronic, techno and some Rock. Just needed to check your opinions before pulling the trigger. I currently do not have a good source either, i am using a toshiba windows laptop and the Samsung Galaxy s3, what would be a decent DAC under 200$? i will add an Amp later on. Have an eye out for the Odac or the CEntrance Dacport LX.

Regards,
Shahab.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #23,093 of 29,490
:confused:   They're completely different headphones.  250 is relatively flat & 80 is a bloated, screeching mess.
Could not disagree more. Even if I take my K701's off and put 80 ohm's on, they still sound great, not in any way bloated, and especially not screeching.

Yes Derbigpr, you are correct. They are not "screeching" and especially not bloated.

Flat is a good thing my friend- fewer excessive or overshadowed frequencies.  Here' a the plot of the very flat signatures the two most beloved headphones at head-fi, and the 80 & 600 ohm DT770.  Perhaps I should have said more tonally balanced.

You should have simply described a good sounding headphone more responsibly.

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #23,094 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi fellow Headfiers,

I am currently considering the V-Moda M-100, my budget for the headphones is 300$. Need a full sized can size does not matter as long as the sound is worth dying for. I listen to Rap, Hip-Hop, Electronic, techno and some Rock. Just needed to check your opinions before pulling the trigger. I currently do not have a good source either, i am using a toshiba windows laptop and the Samsung Galaxy s3, what would be a decent DAC under 200$? i will add an Amp later on. Have an eye out for the Odac or the CEntrance Dacport LX.

Regards,
Shahab.

dacportLX will be great....clean n clear.  Get one in the resale mkt. should be ard 200.

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #23,095 of 29,490
iPad, iPhone, Laptop, and occassionally, Yamaha 7.1 Home Stereo Receiver. I want them to sound better than the Beats without having to lug around  portable amp, but will do so if it sounds better than the beats.  I got a neighbor that has been pushing his Beats Solo, and I can't wait to show him my new speakers!

Look feel free to PM me as it seems you have a lot of questions about headphones. Also see the buying guide linked in the OP of this thread.

You are talking about an alternate to beats. The DT770 is more of a home/studio headhopne. It is quite large on your head but more importantly it is a fairly heavy and long coiled cable. I have never used my DT models portably although it could be done and I know of at least one person who has paid to have their DT770 recabled to make them more portable. The solo that you mention is also an on ear headphone.
Me too...  I went with the DT 770 Pro 250, and should receive it Thursday.  Amp to follow... leaning to E11, E17 or PA2V2.  I am open to all advise, and I have the L9 already being sent...
Thanks, next two things...  The amp, and suggestions for breaking it in properly...  4 Days ?

Your yamaha receiver will run them okay. All three of the amps you list there will power them fine. The L9 cable is the right cable for use with your ipad or other i-devices that have the dock connector on them. Excluding the newer iphone and ipad mini which now use a different connector. Don't worry about break in. Just listen to them and they will "break in" on their own. It's not like after 60 hours of listening they are suddenly going to sound like different headphones. This is your first set of good headphones. Just enjoy them.

For a portable set of headphones for leaving the house that are on ear (like the solos you mentioned above) you might want to read up on:

DT1350
HD25-1 II
Amperior
V-moda M80.

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #23,096 of 29,490
Hey everyone, so currently I have westone 3's to listen when on the go but I use Sennheiser PC-360's at home (which aren't bad, but they seem lacking).

Currently I have an asus xonar stx in my computer and have about a budget of $450ish max. 

My question is what would be the best way to spend that $450? I was looking at the hd-650's and just plugging them straight into STX but I'm not sure if it would be more beneficial to spend $300 on headphones and $150 on an amp etc. I'm open to any suggestions. The main music I listen to is classical, electronic and rock.

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back