++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 8, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #23,056 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking at purchasing a new pair of headphones with a price cap around $400. I am looking at the hifiman he-400, sennheiser hd600 and hd650s. I listen to mainly electronic, hip hop, and rock (I am a little bit of a basshead) but I am planning on broadening my music horizons when I get these. Mainly with jazz and classical which I have liked on friends phones. Also I am planning on getting an e10 amp with these and upgrading that when I have the money (could possibly stretch for something more now if really worth it ). Any opinions on which headphones would fit best would be appreciated.

I would say that the HE-400 is the best match for you.  Before you decide, it will probably be helpful to read about all three cans here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #23,057 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by viralcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Highly recommend the HFI-580. If you're willing to spend a little more, the HFI-2400. Comfort is so-so. Also look into the DT770/80 and the DT990.

Is this because you find it more comfortable? Or more attractive? Unfortunately you won't find that design anywhere else... but most senn's don't have the kind of bass impact you're looking for.

Yeah, I like the sennheisers shape because of the comfort. The oval shape of the ear cups, and the angle that they are placed, feel better to me than the round cups like the ones on the beyerdynamics. Are there any sennheiser headphones that would be decent for trance/techno? I like my HD428's well enough, but I don't like the loose fit that they have on my head.

Also, i saw that on Amazon that the hfi-580 were $40 more than the hfi-780. Is that normal? I thought the 780's were "better" than the 580s.

Thank you for your help by the way!

The 580 is a basshead can.  The more balanced 780 is not, although it delivers strong bass.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #23,058 of 29,490
@Arzach
I've not heard the srh440 but the Sony zx700 does fit you description. You can add a pair of Brainwavz HM5 pads for even better comfort and sound isolation.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #23,059 of 29,490
Quote:
BUDGET: $500.00
PREFERENCE: Sennheiser(from reading this thread)
USES: Computer(movies/music), PS3(Gaming/Movies)

Computer has no sound card...ps3 has usb port.....hdmi's

Ive had multiple "gaming" suggestions....but the mic isnt that important. I can use a desktop or clip on.

I also had one person tell me to run everything through a yamaha reciever.

Im looking for a complete package for around $500 ...im flexible.

Looking for package suggestions: Cans? Sound card? Amp? Dac? Reciever? Im not sure what direction to go. Thank you in advance.

Assuming your receiver's headphone jack will provide enough power (the Adventage line does), get the Senn HD 600 or HD 650, Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro), AKG Q701 or HiFiMan HE-400.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #23,060 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Hi, i'm looking for some <100$ headphones without " too heavy basses", good comfort (lightweight) and low imp. since a don't have an ampli.

Now i'm using CAL but they are a bit bass heavy for the music i listen, and i will probably return them to amazon... thx

I think that i'll try Shure srh440 (i need closed cause my pc is noisy while gaiming), what do you guys think?

They might have too much bass for your tastes, if you did not like the CAL! for that same reason.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #23,062 of 29,490
Thanks KG Jag, what you say makes sense, and perhaps I'm trying to read too much into subjective reviews. Would it be reasonable still though to use budget examples of 'bright aggressive' headphones and 'warm, laid back' headphones (for example) to help me decide what weight to put on reviews of better headphones with these attributes, bearing in mind the limitations of bthese budget 'phones?

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #23,063 of 29,490
Thanks eucariote,

I will try when I'm in town tomorrow - we have a richer sounds, sevenoaks hifi, apple store and john lewis, so I'll see if any of these will demo 'phones (and if I like a pair with the right price I would be happy to buy from them). I 'm not sure whether any of them do demos of headphones though.

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #23,064 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks KG Jag, what you say makes sense, and perhaps I'm trying to read too much into subjective reviews. Would it be reasonable still though to use budget examples of 'bright aggressive' headphones and 'warm, laid back' headphones (for example) to help me decide what weight to put on reviews of better headphones with these attributes, bearing in mind the limitations of bthese budget 'phones?

Yes--but only to get a general flavor of the type--and as an example of implementation at that price level.

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #23,065 of 29,490
Should I purchase a Sansa Clip+ to replace my (soon to acquire) Google nexus 4 at the gym?

I recently received my IE80s and I really want to take good care of them, when I have my source in my pocket I fear that the tension and also the zipper will damage the jack.

Also how does the sound quality of the Sansa Clip + compare to the nexus 4? I wouldn't have a DAC for either (I don't even own a DAC 
eek.gif
)
Thanks!

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #23,066 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Unamped, the HD 598 is the best choice from you list.  Even they will benefit from some amping.

Any more thoughts ?

You might want to read this (and other reviews--including those here through "head gear" tab at the top of the page):

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sennheiser-hd-598_Headphones_review

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #23,067 of 29,490
Quote:
Should I purchase a Sansa Clip+ to replace my (soon to acquire) Google nexus 4 at the gym?

I recently received my IE80s and I really want to take good care of them, when I have my source in my pocket I fear that the tension and also the zipper will damage the jack.

Also how does the sound quality of the Sansa Clip + compare to the nexus 4? I wouldn't have a DAC for either (I don't even own a DAC 
eek.gif
)
Thanks!

You need to post this elsewhere on the forum, as this thread and section of the forum is about full sized headphones.

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #23,070 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks KG Jag the he-400s are the ones I was leaning towards. Will they work even close to their potential with the e10 till I can afford an upgrade?

Can't help you with than, as the only Fiio products I have are cables that run from an iPhone to (another brand of) amp or other equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back