++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 6, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #22,951 of 29,490
Hi, so I am kind of having a hard time deciding what new headphones to get.  I'm looking for a pair of nice over the ear heaphones, possibly noise cancelling, that have pretty good base, and are pretty nice overall, and i need them to not leak too much sound because i'll be using them to study and in the library, but also for just casual listening on my i-pod. And my price range is up to 200 dollars. Now I've looked into beats but they leak way too much sound, and aren't the best sound quality.  And i have heard that the audio technica sound canceling headphones leak a lot of sound too.  So if i could get some advice or suggestions that would be great.
thanks.

UE6000
AKG K167

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #22,952 of 29,490
Hi all,

I am interested in buying a high-end set of headphones and after reading various reviews on this site comparing the Shure 840s, 940s, Denon 2000, AT M50 some of the Beyerdynamic's etc. I have narrowed in on the Shure 940s based on my listening criteria.

I listen to a lot of jazz, prog rock & fusion & the occasional taste of heavy metal. Would the Shure 940s be compatible with this type of music? I want good clarity & seperation in the sound & also accurate bass that isn't weak but also isn't overpowering. Clarity and depth of sound are my main priority but I don't want to sacrifice bass - from what I read these aren't bass heavy, which is good but I don't want them to be too bass light either.

Can anyone give me an idea of whther I'll like these headphones?

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #22,954 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all,

I am interested in buying a high-end set of headphones and after reading various reviews on this site comparing the Shure 840s, 940s, Denon 2000, AT M50 some of the Beyerdynamic's etc. I have narrowed in on the Shure 940s based on my listening criteria.

I listen to a lot of jazz, prog rock & fusion & the occasional taste of heavy metal. Would the Shure 940s be compatible with this type of music? I want good clarity & seperation in the sound & also accurate bass that isn't weak but also isn't overpowering. Clarity and depth of sound are my main priority but I don't want to sacrifice bass - from what I read these aren't bass heavy, which is good but I don't want them to be too bass light either.

The 940's are great cans, but have neutral-ish bass.  They have the least bass of any of the cans you mentioned by name.

If you are at all bass centric, you won't be happy with the 940.  I like the 940's a great deal, but I'm also old enough to remember Elvis, not only when he was alive, but also when he was thin.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #22,956 of 29,490
Quote:
sure, stay away from the noise cancelling.  no need unless you are using them in very noisy environments (not the library LOL).  for the same price, a regular phone will sound better than a noise cancelling phone EVERY TIME

i recommend something like the ATHM50, they are very quiet.  the Vmoda m80 are also very quiet

The M80 has vented ports.. They are not very quiet. At least not compared to something like the HD25 or DT770..

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #22,957 of 29,490
Quote:
The 940's are great cans, but have neutral-ish bass.  They have the least bass of any of the cans you mentioned by name.

If you are at all bass centric, you won't be happy with the 940.  I like the 940's a great deal, but I'm also old enough to remember Elvis, not only when he was alive, but also when he was thin.

Thanks for your reply. What about the Shure 840s? I'm not bass-centric at all, I just don't want them to sound weak.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #22,958 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all,

You'll like the 940s 
biggrin.gif
  They do have a very good sense of space for a closed headphone, much better than SRH840 and a *little* bit of extra treble, which gives a sense of clarity and detail.  Their overall tonal accuracy counts more imo, as nothing is overshadowed as, say the mids are in D2000.  I'd say the bass is pretty accurate (and improves with amplification), which means that you won't really notice it.  But I think that many people crave emphasized bass and would not be satisfied with that.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #22,959 of 29,490
Quote:
You'll like the 940s 
biggrin.gif
  They do have a very good sense of space for a closed headphone, much better than SRH840 and a *little* bit of extra treble, which gives a sense of clarity and detail.  Their overall tonal accuracy counts more imo, as nothing is overshadowed as, say the mids are in D2000.  I'd say the bass is pretty accurate (and improves with amplification), which means that you won't really notice it.  But I think that many people crave emphasized bass and would not be satisfied with that.

Thanks for your reply. What type of portable amp can you recommend? (I don't really want to spend a lot of money).

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #22,961 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. What type of portable amp can you recommend? (I don't really want to spend a lot of money).

Something like the fiio e6 is very inexpensive and has optional eq settings that can let you boost bass, etc. depending on your taste.  Or pick up a vintage amp at a garage sale or in your uncle's attic, which usually provide gobs of power and you'll see what they can really do.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #22,962 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for your reply. What about the Shure 840s? I'm not bass-centric at all, I just don't want them to sound weak.

With their mid bass hump, they have more bass in their sound signature than does the 940.  Is neutral bass = weak bass to you?

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #22,963 of 29,490
Quote:

Something like the fiio e6 is very inexpensive and has optional eq settings that can let you boost bass, etc. depending on your taste.  Or pick up a vintage amp at a garage sale or in your uncle's attic, which usually provide gobs of power and you'll see what they can really do.

Thanks. One last question: How do the 940s compare to the Sennheiser HD598?

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #22,965 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks. One last question: How do the 940s compare to the Sennheiser HD598?

I haven't heard the HD598, but I prefer the HD600 to any closed headphone short of the Ultrasone Edition 8 (SRH840, SRH940, D5000, D7000, DT770, K271, DT250), but those cost ~3x as much.  Open headphones almost always sound better than closed headphones in the same price range imo.  

Quote:
If I use a portable amp will this improve the mid bass hump of the 940s to any degree?

He meant the 840s which have the mid-bass hump.  A portable amp would not help much.  940s do not have this emphasis, it is one of the biggest differences in their sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back