++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #22,966 of 29,490
Quote:

I haven't heard the HD598, but I prefer the HD600 to any closed headphone short of the Ultrasone Edition 8 (SRH840, SRH940, D5000, D7000, DT770, K271, DT250), but those cost ~3x as much.  Open headphones almost always sound better than closed headphones in the same price range imo.  

He meant the 840s which have the mid-bass hump.  A portable amp would not help much.  940s do not have this emphasis, it is one of the biggest differences in their sound.

Ok. I'm a bit torn between the 840s and 940s now. But if you think I'll like them based on what I've told you I think I may buy the 940s.

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #22,967 of 29,490
I'm looking for some budget level over the ear phones for general purpose computer/gaming use.

I currently have a Creative HS-800 Fatal1ty Gaming Headset that I bought a long time ago, and while I was satisfied with it I kinda want something a little better and newer now.

Budget - $50-$100.

I don't plan on using this a lot for listening to music from my iPhone or anything (since I have another set of good IEB that work well). I do plan on plugging this in (with no amp, just your regular port) to my laptop (M11x), 3DS, PC (currently just into a port on one of my speakers but once I fix it up to the front audio port of a X-fi audio card) and a tablet.

Thus my main usage (in order of importance) is for gaming and watching videos (i.e. Youtube, occasional Netflix, etc).

What I'm looking for is a pair that is decently isolating (but it's not too important, and I want to be able to hear someone knocking on the door if it happens), but most importantly I don't want it to leak noise. I plan on using this on flights and don't want to annoy my travelmates.

The one other thing that I really really want it to have is an in-line volume control so I can reduce the volume/quickly mute. A track changer is also nice (in case I do decide to use it with my iPhone).

I've looked at two head phones thus far:
 -  Sennheiser HD 429 looks good but I can't tell if it leaks sound or not. And unfortunately it doesn't have volume control.
Klipsch Image ONE Premium which seems like the high end deal and has audio controls.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #22,968 of 29,490
Hi guys I've recently had a good look around at headphones in the past few days and I've found a few more that I'm interested in. I need headphones that are great for gaming so i can hear every little detail ( people sneaking up behind me etc and bullets ). I also need them for music, headphones that will provide me with a nice bass for my electronic, vocal trance music etc and as well as my metal music, infact generally every genre of music is very important to me. 

So far i've looked at the akg 701 down from £333 to £182 

Ultrasone HFI 780 at £159

If you could provide me feedback on headsets around the £200 price range that would be cool, not bothered if they are open or closed since they are only for home use, but like i said good bass and great sound stage and positional sound for gaming is also a must.

Thanks very much :) 

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #22,969 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Something like the fiio e6 is very inexpensive and has optional eq settings that can let you boost bass, etc. depending on your taste.  Or pick up a vintage amp at a garage sale or in your uncle's attic, which usually provide gobs of power and you'll see what they can really do.

Thanks. One last question: How do the 940s compare to the Sennheiser HD598?

They are both neutral-ish cans and have excellent mids, but beyond that there are many differences.  The most important of these is probably that the 598 is open while the 940 is closed.  The 940 is a studio oriented can and is more detailed.  The Senn has a bit of a veil that for which Senns (at least through most of their line) are know.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #22,970 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
With their mid bass hump, they have more bass in their sound signature than does the 940.  Is neutral bass = weak bass to you?

If I use a portable amp will this improve the mid bass hump of the 940s to any degree?

The 840 is the can with the mid bass hump.  With the ability to adjust EQ through your devices attached to the can, you can tweak the sound of any headphone.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #22,971 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys I've recently had a good look around at headphones in the past few days and I've found a few more that I'm interested in. I need headphones that are great for gaming so i can hear every little detail ( people sneaking up behind me etc and bullets ). I also need them for music, headphones that will provide me with a nice bass for my electronic, vocal trance music etc and as well as my metal music, infact generally every genre of music is very important to me. 

So far i've looked at the akg 701 down from £333 to £182 

Ultrasone HFI 780 at £159

If you could provide me feedback on headsets around the £200 price range that would be cool, not bothered if they are open or closed since they are only for home use, but like i said good bass and great sound stage and positional sound for gaming is also a must.

Thanks very much :) 

If you want detail and sound stage, the semi-open AKG K/Q 701 is your easy winner.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #22,973 of 29,490
New member here! At least for posting, I've used this resource a lot up until finally signing up.

I currently own a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900's (yes, I know, but I do actually like them), and I'm looking to upgrade around the time I get my tax refund. My top candidate is the Signature Pro, but I would also consider the Signature DJ or Edition 8. I'm mainly considering Ultrasone because 1.) I definitely want something fairly isolating, and 2.) I already know that I like Ultrasone's house sound. I wouldn't be averse to other recommendations as long as they follow that first guideline.

So what would make me want to choose the Ed. 8 or DJ above the Pro? Or is there something else entirely different I should be considering?

As far as music tastes go, I mostly listen to metal, some rock, classical (esp. baroque), some folky stuff, ambient, and various styles of electronic music. A pretty varied mix.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #22,976 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the reply kg jag, the only thing I'm worried about with the akg 701 is will it provide enough bass for my trance/vocal trance and techno music that I need?

And that's were the 780 and even better Pro 750 will shine.  In this general price class, you have to pick or buy two (or three).  Probably the best all all-arrounder in the neighborhood is the Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro).

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #22,977 of 29,490
Quote:
New member here! At least for posting, I've used this resource a lot up until finally signing up.

I currently own a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900's (yes, I know, but I do actually like them), and I'm looking to upgrade around the time I get my tax refund. My top candidate is the Signature Pro, but I would also consider the Signature DJ or Edition 8. I'm mainly considering Ultrasone because 1.) I definitely want something fairly isolating, and 2.) I already know that I like Ultrasone's house sound. I wouldn't be averse to other recommendations as long as they follow that first guideline.

So what would make me want to choose the Ed. 8 or DJ above the Pro? Or is there something else entirely different I should be considering?

As far as music tastes go, I mostly listen to metal, some rock, classical (esp. baroque), some folky stuff, ambient, and various styles of electronic music. A pretty varied mix.

Are you sure that you want to spend $1,000 to $1,500 for an Ultrasone?  Now that the D7000 has been discontinued, I understand that the choice of still-in-production quality, upper tier closed cans has contracted even more than before.  However, these cans will probably not stand up well in comparison with at least a handful of open and semi open headphones that you can pluck for under $1,000.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #22,978 of 29,490
i enjoyed the pro900 better than the ed8....the wow factor was missing in a can of that price. 
The cups are kinda small too. 
If u still like the pro900, maybe upgrade the cable..n mod a pair of leather pads. 

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #22,979 of 29,490
Quote:
Are you sure that you want to spend $1,000 to $1,500 for an Ultrasone?  Now that the D7000 has been discontinued, I understand that the choice of still-in-production quality, upper tier closed cans has contracted even more than before.  However, these cans will probably not stand up well in comparison with at least a handful of open and semi open headphones that you can pluck for under $1,000.

As long as you ask for a quote, RMC Audio has the Signature Pro for $850 and the DJ for a hundred less. Not sure about the Edition 8, I didn't ask. But yes, I definitely want an isolating set. Right now I've moved back home after college, the house is anything but quiet, and my ears are extremely sensitive to any kind of outside noise.
Quote:
i enjoyed the pro900 better than the ed8....the wow factor was missing in a can of that price. 
The cups are kinda small too. 
If u still like the pro900, maybe upgrade the cable..n mod a pair of leather pads. 

That may be the first time I've ever heard that. 
tongue_smile.gif
 Have you happened to try the Signature Pro or DJ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back