++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 7, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #22,982 of 29,490
The M-80 also has rather small earcups, so can feel like more of an on ear design to those with smaller heads or if you wear glasses.

The DT770 Pros have powerful and controlled bass, but will need a portable amp to drive them. If I connect the DT770 to my phone unamped the music sounds quite distorted. So you will need an amp with those. They are terrific at isolating noise as well.

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #22,983 of 29,490
Hello,

I have been reading the reviews on here and narrowing down my choices the phones I want.  I have never gotten expensive headphones before so I am doing a lot of research.  I listen to all types of music so I would like all around good sound.  I am also planning to buy the O2w/DAC.
Here is what I am looking at right now:

Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO

Sennheiser HD 598

AKG Q 701

What do you guys think?

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #22,984 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,

I have been reading the reviews on here and narrowing down my choices the phones I want.  I have never gotten expensive headphones before so I am doing a lot of research.  I listen to all types of music so I would like all around good sound.  I am also planning to buy the O2w/DAC.
Here is what I am looking at right now:

Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO

Sennheiser HD 598

AKG Q 701

What do you guys think?

The two most balanced and accurate from your list are the Senn & AKG.  Instead of the 990, I suggest that you substitute the Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro).  The result would be 3 top notice audiophile class "mid-fi" cans.  From there your selection would turn on which of the three excellent flavors you like best and which best integrates best with your other equipment ( the O2 will push all of them).

Force to pick just one, I'd go for the DT 880 (and hope to sneak our with the Q 701 as my "spare").

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #22,986 of 29,490
Quote:
The two most balanced and accurate from your list are the Senn & AKG.  Instead of the 990, I suggest that you substitute the Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro).  The result would be 3 top notice audiophile class "mid-fi" cans.  From there your selection would turn on which of the three excellent flavors you like best and which best integrates best with your other equipment ( the O2 will push all of them).

Force to pick just one, I'd go for the DT 880 (and hope to sneak our with the Q 701 as my "spare").

That actually works out well, there is a guy selling a DT 880 Pro on craigslist nearby for $100.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #22,987 of 29,490
Hi everyone,

Im about to buy a new pair of headphones today. Did some research and now it all comes down to 2 options and i really cannot decide which one to order.
Unfortunately i cannot listen to them before buying, so really wanna increase the chance of getting this right the first time by asking here.

Im choosing between Audio Technica WS-55i or AKG K618/619.

Mainly using them on bus/train etc, and i really like the shape of them both and the fact that they dont seem to leak very much sound.

Im listening to mainly reggae, hip hop, britpop and rock. Also some blues and funk etc. 

Important for me is good quality bass (not just a volume boosted one ála beats by dre), however it should not be taking over to much. A rich and warm sound is a big plus.

I do usually like Grados headphone, for a reference, however they leak a bit to much for this type of usage.

Which one of the above do you think would suit me the best?

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #22,988 of 29,490
Quote:
As long as you ask for a quote, RMC Audio has the Signature Pro for $850 and the DJ for a hundred less. Not sure about the Edition 8, I didn't ask. But yes, I definitely want an isolating set. Right now I've moved back home after college, the house is anything but quiet, and my ears are extremely sensitive to any kind of outside noise.
That may be the first time I've ever heard that. 
tongue_smile.gif
 Have you happened to try the Signature Pro or DJ?

Seriously, The Sig pro seems to be what you look for :wink: .. The most neutral Ultrasone but still very very enjoyable and it gives you detailed, precise, fast and dynamic sound and amazing/deep/textured bass when the music needs it. Considering what you listen to, you should absolutely consider it. The Sig DJ has the same overall qualities but offer a more V-shaped signature.

For the wow factor : I missed it when I listen to my sig pro for the first time beacause i were used to like bass-heavy cans but one head-fier said to me the Sig pro grows in you . He was completely right and now I 've the "wow" effect each time I put my sig pro over my head and switch my player to ON.  I drive it with an unexpensive but very good Tube DAC/amp ( Aune T1) and with a good tube ( NOS russian 6N23P , 6N27P or NOS Mullard 6DJ8 )  I'm really amazed . With a Fiio E17, the sig pro could sound a bit cold sometimes because this headphone is very detailed and analytical but IMO a tube amp gives it the Warmness and organic touch it needs :wink: .Moreover, The Sig pro is easy to driver and can be easily paired with a phone .Nevertheless the result is far better whith appropriate (and not necessarily expensive) source/amp.

Isolation is (to my ears) near perfection both from inside to outsite than the other way.

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #22,989 of 29,490
Hello all,

[size=10pt]I am new to the high-end headphone community, and would like to purchase my first pair of quality headphones. I listen to mainly Metal (Lamb Of God, Pantera, Animals as Leaders, Buckethead) some Jazz (Diana Krall, Norah Jones) Acoustic (Andy Mckee, Antoine Dufour) and very rarely Dubstep/Electronic (Glitch Mob, Daft Punk, Deadmau5). I would like over ear open cans that are $300 or less, but am up for any suggestions.[/size]

[size=10pt]Currently debating:[/size]
[size=10pt]Hifiman, HE-300[/size]
[size=10pt]Beyer, DT-880[/size]
[size=10pt]Sennheiser, HD598 or HD600[/size]
[size=10pt]AKG, K701[/size]

[size=10pt]Would I need an amp for these headphones? If so, what amp would you recommend? Is the Schiit Magni any good?[/size]

[size=10pt]Thanks for the Help![/size]

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #22,990 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey all, I posted a couple weeks ago about choosing between the Sennheiser HD558 and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm.  I finally have both in my possession and can only pick one -- my problem is there are issues with each that make it hard for me to just wholeheartedly go with one of the other :frowning2:  I'm pairing with the Fiio E11 and listen to EDM, chill/lounge, rock, alternative, R&B, jazz and will also be using for movies.  

HD558: very open and airy sounding and I really like the clarity the balanced sound signature provides (at least vs. the DT770).  The problem is the bass doesn't have the impact for EDM and music genres where deep rumbling bass you can feel is critical to enjoyment.  I did the foam mod but I still feel the sound lacking for bass heavy tracks.  The sound leakage is also a potential issue for my wife when she's trying to sleep next to me.  Size wise these headphones are OK -- they are a little big but don't interfere too much with enjoying music lying down.  I also like how you can also replace the audio cable with a shorter one with a 3.5mm plug without the huge adapter.

DT770: I am very happy with how wide the soundstage is for closed headphones.  Isolation is a good benefit.  Mids are a little recessed, but I like the warmth.  Highs are OK, not too fatiguing yet.  The bass is where I have a love/hate relationship with these cans -- awesome for EDM, chillout music with the sub bass rumble that you can really feel... too overpowering for other music types in my opinion.  I think if I can find a way to tame the bass (is there a mod that can do this effectively?), I would probably go with the DT770, but only if.  EQ'ing is not an option, at least that i know of with spotify and other streaming apps.  The other downside is these headphones are huge -- hard to comfortably lie down with my head on a pillow with these.

Help!!

Also, I have seen this link to the "Less boomy mod" for the DT770 -- will it accomplish what I'm looking for?  What about just removing the stock felt ring and not replacing it?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/243588/beyerdynamic-dt-770-less-boomy-mod-lbm-mod-w-pics-56k-warning

Thanks!

Hi, just wanted to check if people have thoughts on the less boomy mod for the DT770 or just removing the felt ring altogether?  Does it significantly reduce the bass and bring out the mids more?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #22,992 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all,

[size=10pt]I am new to the high-end headphone community, and would like to purchase my first pair of quality headphones. I listen to mainly Metal (Lamb Of God, Pantera, Animals as Leaders, Buckethead) some Jazz (Diana Krall, Norah Jones) Acoustic (Andy Mckee, Antoine Dufour) and very rarely Dubstep/Electronic (Glitch Mob, Daft Punk, Deadmau5). I would like over ear open cans that are $300 or less, but am up for any suggestions.[/size]

[size=10pt]Currently debating:[/size]
[size=10pt]Hifiman, HE-300[/size]
[size=10pt]Beyer, DT-880[/size]
[size=10pt]Sennheiser, HD598 or HD600[/size]
[size=10pt]AKG, K701[/size]

[size=10pt]Would I need an amp for these headphones? If so, what amp would you recommend? Is the Schiit Magni any good?[/size]

[size=10pt]Thanks for the Help![/size]

Get the Beyer. 

Amp will be either be needed or strongly recommended, depending on which can you get and the Ohm rating of your particular Beyer (if you select it).

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #22,993 of 29,490
Quote:
Get the Beyer. 

Amp will be either be needed or strongly recommended, depending on which can you get and the Ohm rating of your particular Beyer (if you select it).

Why would you recommend the Beyer? Are there any distinct advantages over the others?

As of right now I'm between the DT880 and the HE-300.
What amps are recommended for these headphones?

Thanks for the help! :)

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #22,994 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Get the Beyer. 

Why would you recommend the Beyer? Are there any distinct advantages over the others?

As of right now I'm between the DT880 and the HE-300.
What amps are recommended for these headphones?

Thanks for the help! :)

This will you all you will probably need to know about the 880:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_DT880

In comparison this is the review of the HE-400, which is significantly better (and different) than the downline HE-300:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_HE400

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #22,995 of 29,490
Hey there Hi-fiers
I am seeking some help with my new headphones.

So I have just purchased my first pair of cans after stating what I plan to use it for and the type of music I listen to from the recommendations I received, I purchased the Ultrasone HFI-780.  Now I don't know where I went wrong, when I listen to them and apart from the noise cancelling I don't hear anything that stands out to me, I spend most of my time with ear buds in my ears at work and then come home to speakers and or a cheap headset I use for gaming. 

So I would think I should be hearing a different as recommended I tried listening to good source material so some of my music cds and watched a DvD movie and still I don't hear any difference so I am not sure where I went wrong, they are currently plugged into my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Zs so I am not sure if it is because of that sound card or something.

I own some Coby 150w 5.1 speakers a simple set up and when I listened to my friends AV40s which were only plugged directly his Laptop I heard a clear difference between those and my speakers which is one of the reasons that motivated me to get better quality sound but now with these headphones I am feeling rather unsatisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back