++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #22,877 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for a decent pair of on-ear headphones for portable use, not looking to get over-ear since they're kinda large for portable use. My budget would cap at around $100, but I could spend a bit more if it's worth it. I'll be using my clip zip primarily and iphone 4s. I like a warmish sound sig, sweet mids, and non-fatiguing treble since these will be my travel cans. I've been looking into the ath-ws55 and AKG k67 lately, thoughts? Thanks.

An easy recommendation: Philips Cityscape Downtowns (SHL5605).

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #22,878 of 29,490
Good morning, gentlemen.

I have offered to make a headphone recommendation for a colleague of mine.  She mentioned that she was going to buy Boses, so naturally I had to come to the rescue.

She uses the headphones for travelling, so closed back is a necessity.  She listens to classical music and opera, mostly.  I don't necessarily want to recommend a headphone that needs amplification.  She's not an audiophile, so I don't know what her tolerance will be for the extra bit of equipment.  Here's what I've come up with so far for different price ranges:

~$150:  AudioTechnica ATH-M50S

~$230:  Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80

~$300:  Shure SRH940

~$390:  Ultrasone PRO750

~$570:  Beyerdynamic T70p 32 Ohm

Do you see anything that doesn't fit given the requirement for low-impedance, closed-back headphones which are good for classical and opera?  Any recommendations I haven't considered?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #22,879 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. So should i just go for the 518 with it being £40 cheaper $65? And is the difference between the two headphones small enough or large enough to notice with my untrained ears? And which will be the better option out of those two for me having only used closed headphones as in which one would i get used to quicker if that makes sense Thanks.

Difference between them is pretty big. Clearly different price range if you hear them.  They're not like 558/598. They're not very different, but 518 are inferior.

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #22,880 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Maybe I would be better served to replace the Creek with the Schiit Magni/Modi for $200 instead of replacing the 580s? Would I get better (more revealing) quality sound? Quote:
X2, 580 is better on your budget. If you willing to spend more however, try the HE400

Quote:
The $200 budget limit vs. your 580's is the rub.  You need more cash to get to the Beyer DT 880, Alessandro MS-2i/Grado SR 325is, AKG K 550 or Senn HD 650.

I doubt it, based on owning the more expensive Asgard and the 580.

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #22,881 of 29,490
Unfortunately I didn't see this thread (Halfway down the page at the time) and I made a "Help me" thread... sorry guys. Here's my question.

Hello All,

I've been a long time lurker of this website, wishing to splurge on a great set of headphones and a DAC/AMP for quite some time now. I finally have the funds set aside and am ready to do so.

I will be using the headphones on my PC. I currently do not have a sound card, as I use a USB headset. The use of this setup will be primarily for music (just about every type of Rock) and video games. Music quality takes preference over gaming. I currently have a crappy 7.1 headset (Logitech G35) and I feel the cruddy fake surround sound is not worth the tradeoff in quality.

My budget is around $300-$400 for everything, though I can be slightly flexible. I am currently considering picking up a pair of Sennheiser 598's and the Maverick Tubemagic D1. If I get the Maverick Tubemagic D1 (plus?), should I pay for the extra upgrade options? Is there a better/different recommendation for an all in one setup in this pricerange? Thanks everyone for your help!

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #22,882 of 29,490
Quote:
Good morning, gentlemen.

I have offered to make a headphone recommendation for a colleague of mine.  She mentioned that she was going to buy Boses, so naturally I had to come to the rescue.

She uses the headphones for travelling, so closed back is a necessity.  She listens to classical music and opera, mostly.  I don't necessarily want to recommend a headphone that needs amplification.  She's not an audiophile, so I don't know what her tolerance will be for the extra bit of equipment.  Here's what I've come up with so far for different price ranges:

Do you see anything that doesn't fit given the requirement for low-impedance, closed-back headphones which are good for classical and opera?  Any recommendations I haven't considered?

Thanks in advance.

All those headphones listed sound better under amplification, so I wouldn't recommend them without it.  The audio technica m50 can be had for like roughly $110. It is a bass heavy headphone, wouldn't recommend for classical. The Ultrasone pro 750 can be had for roughly $230 via amazon. I just bought a pair of those myself (haven't tried them out yet), but they are considered to be bass heavy headphones as well.  
A suggestion not on your list, try looking up review to the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A.  They are $220 on amazon, and look great IMO, and don't need amplification. Try going off this list for future suggestions: headphone Buying Guide

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #22,883 of 29,490
Hi guys and girls I'm currently looking around at the moment for some new headphones. I've always used brands such as razer and bought into their gaming range but after having another headset break I've had enough and decided to invest in a good, hopefully high quality headphones that will suit me for gaming. As well as gaming I listen to music basically every hour of the day when I'm on my computer, so I would like the headphones to also be really good for music too. I listen to allot of music ranging from rap, death metal / heavy metal, but mostly trance and dance, so I would like them to have some good bass but also to perform decentlyin every genre.

I need the headphones to provide me with awareness of where other people are so I can hear other players coming towards me, from infront, side to side and behind. 

I have a budget of around £100 - 140 ( can maybe push another tena ) not sure if I'm asking to much but hopefully I there will be something out there for me. 

Here is a list of the headphones I've been looking at

Beyerdynamic - DT770 pro 80ohm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT770-PRO-Headset-OHM/dp/B0016MNAAI

Audio technica ath ad 700

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-ad700

Sennheiser hd 580

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-580

Ultrasonic HFA - 580

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ultrasone-hfi-580

I'm hoping to have them closed so I can hear now sound around me. 

I'm not an audiophil and not trying to spend around £140 because the budget is tight so if you could steer me in the right direction that would be awesome, cheers! 

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #22,884 of 29,490
Quote:
Good morning, gentlemen.

Thanks in advance.

I've heard headphones #2 and 3 on your list.  The Beyers are the worst closed headphone I have heard and the Shures are the best closed headphones I have heard under $500 (out of ~12).

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #22,885 of 29,490
Quote:
My budget is around 30-60$. Unfortunately, where I live these cans aren't available, except for V55, which is still listed above 100$ there... But do you think JVC S400 could be better better than S600? 
confused.gif

I haven't heard either of them, maybe someone else has? The S400 (as well as it's bigger brother, the S500 - http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-get-your-pic-idea-ready-for-the-25th-winners-announced)  has a really good reputation around here. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626332/the-new-jvc-ha-s400-affordable-carbon-nanotube-cans-for-the-masses

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #22,887 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. So should i just go for the 518 with it being £40 cheaper $65? And is the difference between the two headphones small enough or large enough to notice with my untrained ears? And which will be the better option out of those two for me having only used closed headphones as in which one would i get used to quicker if that makes sense Thanks.

graphCompare.php

The graph above shows the frequency response of three headphones I own (HD 518, AD700, and Ortofon O-one) and of one I do not (HD 558).  As you can see, the HD 518 is the bassiest of all; this I can confirm from listening.  The 518 is clearly much closer to the HD 558 than to the other two. I will have to defer to KJag as to the sound difference between the 518 and the 558, because I believe he has both.  As stated before, it has been claimed (with some photographic evidence) that the 518, the 558, and the 598 share the same driver. 

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #22,888 of 29,490
Hello All,

Currently have Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm, just got Ultrasone Pro 900.

Beyerdynamic are pretty solid starters overall

Ultrasone 900 are great for electronic but lacking in other categories.

What's a good balance headphone for sub $600? I tend to like more towards bassy but the Ultrasones are covering that well.

Thanks!

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #22,889 of 29,490
Quote:
Good morning, gentlemen.

Thanks in advance.

Haven't heard the (expensive in this group) Beyer, but none of the rest would work well.  The three other than the Shure don't have a sound signature that will work well with her music.  The Shure (which is a great sounding can for what it is) and the Ultrasone both need to be amped.

I would recommend considering the Senn HD 25-1-II or Amperior for her music and intended use.

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #22,890 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello All,

Currently have Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm, just got Ultrasone Pro 900.

Beyerdynamic are pretty solid starters overall

Ultrasone 900 are great for electronic but lacking in other categories.

What's a good balance headphone for sub $600? I tend to like more towards bassy but the Ultrasones are covering that well.

Thanks!

Senn HD 650, Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro) or HiFiMan HE-400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back