++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 4, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #22,846 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,

Previously I've owned a Klipsch S4, it was decent, but I found the bass too overwhelming and I had a hard time distinguishing between instruments.

I can miss about 100$.

I think it's good to know for you that I will be using them on my way to and from work, at work, and whilst playing some guitar at home.

I think I made up my mind and that I will go for a pair of headphones in stead of IEM's.

The SR80i sound very much like my taste according to reviews, but there are so many choices, and I'm pretty worried about the sound leakage.

I want the headphones to work really well with Rock,  Acoustic, Blues, Funk, Metal and even some 8-bit. I also listen to ALOT of slide guitar.

I want headphones that sound natural, and that produce a sound as close to the source as possible, for instance, I want to hear that Death Magnetic has been mixed horribly.

I hope I gave you sufficient information

For $100 your options are limited and ther are no $100 closed Grados.  I suggest you consider the CAL! and the KRK KNS 6400.  For sound alone the AKG K 240 Studio would meet your needs, but not your other requirements.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #22,847 of 29,490
I'am looking for a portable around-ear headphones, let me tell you that I really do like BASS. However, I'am not as much into it to sacrifice everything else, so I ruled out XB500's (they are not very portable neither..) After hours of reading I finally decided to get either KOSS UR-55 or JVC S600. Which one do you think is better? Which one has more bass
L3000.gif
, better soundstage, more clarity... Which should be more comfortable?

I'am aware that KOSS has little to no sound isolation, but I could probably live with that if they sound better than JVC.

Also, is there any sense in these negative reviews? 
http://translate.google.lt/translate?hl=lt&sl=af&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.digitalversus.com%2Fheadphones%2Fkoss-ur-55-p11760%2Ftest.html

http://translate.google.lt/translate?hl=lt&sl=ga&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.expertreviews.co.uk%2Fheadphones%2F1282846%2Fjvc-ha-s600

Or did they just tested them out of the box without burning them in? 
The impressions from forum members seem to be quite opposite...

Jan 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #22,848 of 29,490
nevermind lol

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #22,849 of 29,490
This is recommendations thread, isn't it? 
cool.gif

Nevertheless, I had posted there also some time ago, strange that no one has a word to say about these cans...

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #22,850 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for a good recommendation for around-ear headphones (not the ones that press up against the ear or on-ear, I wear glasses and they hurt after a while). I have the Bose AE2 headphones right now, and while they're super comfortable, I'm not entirely satisfied with their performance. Here's what's really important to me in a pair of headphones:

- Good bass response. I know audiophiles think more bass is bad, but I listen to a lot of electronic music where I'd prefer some nice bass. The AE2's I have are definitely lacking in this field.
- Comfortable / not too heavy. Need to be around-ear. I wear them at work all day. AE2's are great for this.
- Can fold up somehow. My AE2's can rotate the ear cups so they can be somewhat flat in my backpack pouch. That's all I need, I don't need them to do any more than that or fold in half or anything.
- In-line or on-headphone volume controls would be nice but not required.
- I really don't like noise canceling headphones, so if the best pair happens to be noise canceling I'd like the option to simply turn that feature off while still being able to listen to music.
- Some headphones are just as loud on the outside as they are on the inside. I work in a quiet place and would rather not bug people with my loud music. AE2's are pretty good in this category.

I'd really appreciate anybody's help with this. Thanks so much!

Edit: Oh, and price doesn't really matter. I'd rather have headphones that suit my needs than save a few bucks.

If price doesn't matter, Ultrasone Edition 8 have very very well controlled bass (and everything else), are portable and block sounds extremely well.  But if you aren't up for spending $1k on headphones, D2000/D5000 are very enjoyable, comfortable and do have powerful bass that you would enjoy.

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #22,851 of 29,490
Quote:
This is recommendations thread, isn't it? 
cool.gif

Nevertheless, I had posted there also some time ago, strange that no one has a word to say about these cans...

I haven't seen anything about the JVC one before, but there aren't hat many over ear portables that I can think of. Don't know your budget but you could check these out;

Do your research and consider these if you haven't already :) 

Philips Uptown & Downtown

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357345725&sr=8-1&keywords=creative+aurvana+live

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAS400B-Nanotube-Headband-Headphones/dp/B008P8EXRU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V55-BR-style-Headphones/dp/B007BY3PNW/ref=sr_1_61?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1357346037&sr=1-61

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #22,852 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,

Previously I've owned a Klipsch S4, it was decent, but I found the bass too overwhelming and I had a hard time distinguishing between instruments.

I can miss about 100$.

I think it's good to know for you that I will be using them on my way to and from work, at work, and whilst playing some guitar at home.

I think I made up my mind and that I will go for a pair of headphones in stead of IEM's.

The SR80i sound very much like my taste according to reviews, but there are so many choices, and I'm pretty worried about the sound leakage.

I want the headphones to work really well with Rock,  Acoustic, Blues, Funk, Metal and even some 8-bit. I also listen to ALOT of slide guitar.

I want headphones that sound natural, and that produce a sound as close to the source as possible, for instance, I want to hear that Death Magnetic has been mixed horribly.

I hope I gave you sufficient information

Shure SRH840 are the very best closed headphones that can be found in your price range imo.  They have very neutral sound, as they are intended for studio use.  This is a bit strange to say, but of the closed headphones I've heard they are not that far off from Grados, the main differences being more mid-bass and less pronounced treble, on both counts they are closer to neutral.  Their only drawback is a slightly closed-in sound, a price you often pay for owning closed headphones.  And they are large, so might be the best for traveling, tho they do fold up.

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #22,853 of 29,490
Quote:
both for £350 total and for most genres like most rock sub-genres, pop, blues ect.

thanks for the reply:)

In your shoes I'd get something very good for home and live with your ibuds for portable use.  Closed headphones often don't block ambient sounds very well, so high audio quality is lost in the noise.  And for the price, I've found that open headphones sound much better than closed headphones in the same price range.  So if you put your pennies shillings towards open headphones you could get something great.  For example, Sennheiser HD600 or HD650 are very versatile and and have extremely good sound for the price.  If you buy used, you could get those and decent in-ear monitors, which would block sounds almost completely.

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #22,854 of 29,490
Hey guys im looking for pair of headphones and want to try open back for 1st time and if i dont like it amazon has said i can return them for full refund, never used even decent headphones and very far from audiophile. Will use for music most genres excluding heavy metal, watching movies and gaming on ps3. Needs good quality bass but not overpowering mostly use equalizer on phone anyway, need to choose between sennheiser hd558 at £130 and just now found hd518 at £90 so if i buy hd581 i will have some money left for in ears. My question is will i notice a big difference between them? also from reviews it seems the 518s bass can be overpowering, if i listen to alot of hip hop could this be a good thing? And will lowering bass on my phones equalizer turn bass down in say classical music? Thanks 

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #22,855 of 29,490
Okay so this is my first post. Been lurking for a while and picked up a few phones to try out based on reviews and suggestions. I currently own a nice pair of Senn HD580s and I run them through a Creek Audio OBH-11 amp. For my portable setup I picked up a Fiio E11 and I have a 160GB iPod that carries my entire music collection, currently using Senn PX100s and Senn earbuds with it. I'm looking for two sets of phones; another set for home and a nice set to use with my iPod. I mostly listen to classic rock, progressive rock, blues, reggae, jazz and some folk. I'm looking for cans that have a nice balance with a little more high and low end than the Senns have. I do not consider myself a basshead but i do like a nice tight bottom (who doesn't?). I've set my budget at $200 for the home phones and $100 max for the portables.

I am currently trying out a few bang for your buck phones:
CAL
Superlux 668B
Superlux HD661
Philips Downtown
Panasonic HTF600
Ultrasone Pro750

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #22,856 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys im looking for pair of headphones and want to try open back for 1st time and if i dont like it amazon has said i can return them for full refund, never used even decent headphones and very far from audiophile. Will use for music most genres excluding heavy metal, watching movies and gaming on ps3. Needs good quality bass but not overpowering mostly use equalizer on phone anyway, need to choose between sennheiser hd558 at £130 and just now found hd518 at £90 so if i buy hd581 i will have some money left for in ears. My question is will i notice a big difference between them? also from reviews it seems the 518s bass can be overpowering, if i listen to alot of hip hop could this be a good thing? And will lowering bass on my phones equalizer turn bass down in say classical music? Thanks 

Both are good.  The 558 is more the classic (if slightly veiled) & balanced audiophile can.  It also has a larger sound stage.

The 518 is darker and easier to drive without an amp.

I would not say that the bass of either is even remotely overpowering--and a long way from being a basshead of any stripe.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #22,857 of 29,490
Quote:
Okay so this is my first post. Been lurking for a while and picked up a few phones to try out based on reviews and suggestions. I currently own a nice pair of Senn HD580s and I run them through a Creek Audio OBH-11 amp. For my portable setup I picked up a Fiio E11 and I have a 160GB iPod that carries my entire music collection, currently using Senn PX100s and Senn earbuds with it. I'm looking for two sets of phones; another set for home and a nice set to use with my iPod. I mostly listen to classic rock, progressive rock, blues, reggae, jazz and some folk. I'm looking for cans that have a nice balance with a little more high and low end than the Senns have. I do not consider myself a basshead but i do like a nice tight bottom (who doesn't?). I've set my budget at $200 for the home phones and $100 max for the portables.

I am currently trying out a few bang for your buck phones:
CAL
Superlux 668B
Superlux HD661
Philips Downtown
Panasonic HTF600
Ultrasone Pro750

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Your 580 is better than all of these, with the possible exception of the 750.  It will give the bass you seek if properly amped.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #22,858 of 29,490
Aside from the Superlux 668B and the Ultrasones the others are all for possible portable use. I guess I feel like the 580s just aren't as clear and don't go as low as I would like. I already hear more with the Ultrasones and the Superlux than I do with the Senns. the Ultrasones definitely have more bottom end than my Senns. Really looking for that magical balance.
Your 580 is better than all of these, with the possible exception of the 750.  It will give the bass you seek if properly amped.

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #22,859 of 29,490
I'm looking for a decent pair of on-ear headphones for portable use, not looking to get over-ear since they're kinda large for portable use. My budget would cap at around $100, but I could spend a bit more if it's worth it. I'll be using my clip zip primarily and iphone 4s. I like a warmish sound sig, sweet mids, and non-fatiguing treble since these will be my travel cans. I've been looking into the ath-ws55 and AKG k67 lately, thoughts? Thanks.

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #22,860 of 29,490
Quote:
Aside from the Superlux 668B and the Ultrasones the others are all for possible portable use. I guess I feel like the 580s just aren't as clear and don't go as low as I would like. I already hear more with the Ultrasones and the Superlux than I do with the Senns. the Ultrasones definitely have more bottom end than my Senns. Really looking for that magical balance. Quote:

The $200 budget limit vs. your 580's is the rub.  You need more cash to get to the Beyer DT 880, Alessandro MS-2i/Grado SR 325is, AKG K 550 or Senn HD 650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back