++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 5, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #22,891 of 29,490
Quote:
Unfortunately I didn't see this thread (Halfway down the page at the time) and I made a "Help me" thread... sorry guys. Here's my question.

Hello All,

I've been a long time lurker of this website, wishing to splurge on a great set of headphones and a DAC/AMP for quite some time now. I finally have the funds set aside and am ready to do so.

I will be using the headphones on my PC. I currently do not have a sound card, as I use a USB headset. The use of this setup will be primarily for music (just about every type of Rock) and video games. Music quality takes preference over gaming. I currently have a crappy 7.1 headset (Logitech G35) and I feel the cruddy fake surround sound is not worth the tradeoff in quality.

My budget is around $300-$400 for everything, though I can be slightly flexible. I am currently considering picking up a pair of Sennheiser 598's and the Maverick Tubemagic D1. If I get the Maverick Tubemagic D1 (plus?), should I pay for the extra upgrade options? Is there a better/different recommendation for an all in one setup in this pricerange? Thanks everyone for your help!

Can only help you with the headphones.  Someone like PurpleAngel can better help with computer audio.

The HD 598 is a very good can.  Still you might consider the very efficient Grado SR 325is or Alessandro MS-2.  They can rock your world if you like the Grado family sound signature.

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #22,892 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys and girls I'm currently looking around at the moment for some new headphones. I've always used brands such as razer and bought into their gaming range but after having another headset break I've had enough and decided to invest in a good, hopefully high quality headphones that will suit me for gaming. As well as gaming I listen to music basically every hour of the day when I'm on my computer, so I would like the headphones to also be really good for music too. I listen to allot of music ranging from rap, death metal / heavy metal, but mostly trance and dance, so I would like them to have some good bass but also to perform decentlyin every genre.

I need the headphones to provide me with awareness of where other people are so I can hear other players coming towards me, from infront, side to side and behind. 

I have a budget of around £100 - 140 ( can maybe push another tena ) not sure if I'm asking to much but hopefully I there will be something out there for me. 

Here is a list of the headphones I've been looking at

Beyerdynamic - DT770 pro 80ohm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT770-PRO-Headset-OHM/dp/B0016MNAAI

Audio technica ath ad 700

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-ad700

Sennheiser hd 580

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-580

Ultrasonic HFA - 580

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ultrasone-hfi-580

I'm hoping to have them closed so I can hear now sound around me. 

I'm not an audiophil and not trying to spend around £140 because the budget is tight so if you could steer me in the right direction that would be awesome, cheers! 

The best I can come up with is the Ultrasone HiFi 780.  The Ultrasone HiFi 580 is a basshead can that I would not want for gaming.  I like the Senns (and HD 518 & HD 558). but don't know if these open cans (that leak a great deal) would be fast or bassy enough for you.

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #22,895 of 29,490
Quote:
Good morning, gentlemen.

I have offered to make a headphone recommendation for a colleague of mine.  She mentioned that she was going to buy Boses, so naturally I had to come to the rescue.

She uses the headphones for travelling, so closed back is a necessity.  She listens to classical music and opera, mostly.  I don't necessarily want to recommend a headphone that needs amplification.  She's not an audiophile, so I don't know what her tolerance will be for the extra bit of equipment.  Here's what I've come up with so far for different price ranges:

~$150:  AudioTechnica ATH-M50S

~$230:  Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80

~$300:  Shure SRH940

~$390:  Ultrasone PRO750

~$570:  Beyerdynamic T70p 32 Ohm

Do you see anything that doesn't fit given the requirement for low-impedance, closed-back headphones which are good for classical and opera?  Any recommendations I haven't considered?

Thanks in advance.

For classical and opera, closed, consider the Ortofon O-one.  Among the headphones I own, they are my favorites for symphonic music.  They are easy to drive. They are comfortable.  They should be available for about $200, which is more than twice what I paid for them at a clearance sale at headroom.com.  Still, I do not see a clearly better option for classical music, closed, under $200. For classical music, closed, I would also consider the CAL! under $100 and the Beyerdynamic DT235 under $50.

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #22,896 of 29,490
Hello there audiophiles, i have journied long and far to find enough information to make an educated decision so i have decided to take my query to the experts.
I find myself wanting a decent pair of headphones. I plan to use them primarily indoors, outdoors if suited, to listen non-exclusively to genres such as dubstep and DnB.
I am torn between the Sony V55s and the XB500s.
I read that the XB500s are amazing however i found a single thread on this forum which said the V55s are better in terms of sound quality and have punchier bass.
Could someone please give me a comparison of the 2, or suggest any better options in the price range?
Help will be much appreciated, cheers.

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #22,897 of 29,490
I have the XB500 and they are definitely a basshead can. The V55 may have more of a mid bass punch but the XB500 has a lot of sub bass rumble and boom. Honestly though, I would look into the Ultrasone DJ1, it would sound a lot better than either the V55 or the XB500 for drum and bass and dubstep. The XB500 is good for Hip-Hop, but isn't quick enough to keep up with most dubstep or Drum and bass, and the bass bleeds into the mids in my opinion. If the DJ1 is out of your price range then definitely get the XB500. Also the V-MODA Crossfade LP is a great choice for listening to those genres but you may not like how fashion forward it is aesthetically. 

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #22,898 of 29,490
Thanks for the response. I think I am pretty well decided on the HD598's, partially due to comfort reasons.

What would a good DAC/AMP combo be for those cans? I've been looking at the Tubemagic D1, NuForce Icon HDP, O2/ODAC (Though I hate all the ports on the front), and the Schiit Magni/modi (or Asguard). Would anyone of these be particularly well suited for the lower impedance set of cans like the 598? I'd rather go slightly overkill on the amp in case I ever choose to get another headset that is more difficult to drive in the future. Thanks everyone.

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #22,899 of 29,490
Quote:
Haven't heard the (expensive in this group) Beyer, but none of the rest would work well.  The three other than the Shure don't have a sound signature that will work well with her music.  The Shure (which is a great sounding can for what it is) and the Ultrasone both need to be amped.

I would recommend considering the Senn HD 25-1-II or Amperior for her music and intended use.

I have to respectfully disagree.  I a/b compared SRH940 and HD-25 straight out an ipod touch and the Shures had noticeably better tonal balance & soundstage, which would help with symphonic music.  That being said, they're both so good that most non-obsessives would be happy with both and the HD-25 have better isolation are much better for portable use.

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #22,900 of 29,490
Thanks for the quick reply.
At £120 the DJ1 is about double my price range so i figure i'll pass on them ahah.
I forgot to even consider mid and low range bass, i'm clearly new to this.
I'll go with the XB500s then, i appreciate your input
beerchug.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #22,901 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Haven't heard the (expensive in this group) Beyer, but none of the rest would work well.  The three other than the Shure don't have a sound signature that will work well with her music.  The Shure (which is a great sounding can for what it is) and the Ultrasone both need to be amped.

I would recommend considering the Senn HD 25-1-II or Amperior for her music and intended use.

I have to respectfully disagree.  I a/b compared SRH940 and HD-25 straight out an ipod touch and the Shures had noticeably better tonal balance & soundstage, which would help with symphonic music.  That being said, they're both so good that most non-obsessives would be happy with both and the HD-25 have better isolation are much better for portable use.

My experience directly out of an iPhone 4 has been that the 940's is but a shadow of themselves in comparison to when they are properly amped.

For purely  unamped portable use, the Amperiors are my favorite and the HD 25-1-II are my #2--at least so far.

But like you, I am a fan of all three.

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #22,902 of 29,490
Hey guys, I've made my own thread and it seems that i haven't gotten much help form there so I've decided to post here.

I joined only a few weeks ago and read through many of the threads in this forum an I'm here looking for some good headphones in my price range but I haven't found one that I really want. I listen to mostly Rap, Hip-Hop, and Dubstep, but I'm not looking for loud or overpowering bass even though my genres say I should. I'm looking for a mostly balanced headphone with just the right amount of kick for the bass. For the Rap and Hip-Hop I care more about the beat so the mids can be recessed a bit. I have $400 to spend but if I need an amp I'll be more than happy to buy one but I need more advice on what amp I should get. I was thinking around the lines of a Fiio E7.

I've only owned Beats and Skullcandy's but I want a clearer sounding pair of headphones.
Thanks in advance. 

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #22,904 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the response. I think I am pretty well decided on the HD598's, partially due to comfort reasons.

What would a good DAC/AMP combo be for those cans? I've been looking at the Tubemagic D1, NuForce Icon HDP, O2/ODAC (Though I hate all the ports on the front), and the Schiit Magni/modi (or Asguard).

The ODAC+O2 combo plays really well with the HD-650. I dislike having all the ports (except USB) on the front. It's a utilitarian design. It's still my first choice.

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #22,905 of 29,490
Quote:
Trained or otherwise, if you have good ears, you will hear the difference. 

With regard to the rest, there is no way for me to know.  It's almost 100% dependent on the individual and his/her preferences.

Quote:

Difference between them is pretty big. Clearly different price range if you hear them.  They're not like 558/598. They're not very different, but 518 are inferior.

Quote:
graphCompare.php

The graph above shows the frequency response of three headphones I own (HD 518, AD700, and Ortofon O-one) and of one I do not (HD 558).  As you can see, the HD 518 is the bassiest of all; this I can confirm from listening.  The 518 is clearly much closer to the HD 558 than to the other two. I will have to defer to KJag as to the sound difference between the 518 and the 558, because I believe he has both.  As stated before, it has been claimed (with some photographic evidence) that the 518, the 558, and the 598 share the same driver. 

Great advice thanks guys i contacted amazon and they have told me i can use both headphones and if not satisfied can send one or even both back for full refund so going to order the 518 and 558 tomorrow. Quick question, would it help if i was to purchase the fiio e06 would i get noticable difference in quality with either of these headphones and it states that it has equalizer will that increase bass more than if i was to connect to my smartphone which already has equalizer? And do i need the amp if connecting to my tv with headphone jack? Lastly i read somewhere that with amp you can connect to tv so sound comes out of tv speakers and headphones simultaneously because atm connecting anything to headphone jack stops speaker sound. Also i know the eo6 is just a budget amp but budget is what i can afford at the moment lol thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back