++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 2, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #22,816 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Slim pickings in that price range.  Check out the JVC HARX700.

The Superlux HD 681 Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones will probably leak too much for your needs.

Also, the Koss Portapros are quite reveled for their amazing price vs. driver quality. The sacrifices? The looks of the headphones are a love hate thing, as it has an almost "retro" look. Definitely an amazing buy for their price ($36). Also, the bass of these guys are pronounced as well, another love/ hate thing.

Best of luck!

~Kami

But the Portapros leak too much for his stated needs.

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #22,817 of 29,490
Hey all, trying to get into audiophile headphones/etc after having a pair of Beats by Dre for a few years. Finalized wised up and realized that they're style over substance.

I'm looking to get a good pair of entry-level headphones in the $120 or less range. So far I've been looking at the: AKG K240 , Grado SR80i , and Audio-Technica ATH-M50. Any opinions on these? I've only just begun researching though, so if anyone has any other suggestions in the same price range i'm all ears.

Also, maybe a dumb question, but would you guys recommend a DAC with headphones in this price range? I've been looking at the Fiio E10 as I primarily listen to music through my Macbook Air.

Thanks in advance!

edit: Realized the music I listen to could be relevant.. Indie Rock, Hip-Hop, Electronic mainly.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #22,818 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey all, trying to get into audiophile headphones/etc after having a pair of Beats by Dre for a few years. Finalized wised up and realized that they're style over substance.

I'm looking to get a good pair of entry-level headphones in the $120 or less range. So far I've been looking at the: AKG K240 , Grado SR80i , and Audio-Technica ATH-M50. Any opinions on these? I've only just begun researching though, so if anyone has any other suggestions in the same price range i'm all ears.

Also, maybe a dumb question, but would you guys recommend a DAC with headphones in this price range? I've been looking at the Fiio E10 as I primarily listen to music through my Macbook Air.

Thanks in advance!

edit: Realized the music I listen to could be relevant.. Indie Rock, Hip-Hop, Electronic mainly.

I've personally used the SR-80i, and they SOUND GREAT. I can't say much about the others, but with an open eared pair of cans, if you are using it anywhere but by yourself, you're going to annoy others and you'll probably feel self conscious about it too. I love them a ton, but the sound leakage and the fact that you can have interference from around you might be a point to consider closed over open cans. If you're using this for alone use, by all means, GET THE SR-80i, as they fit all your needs. They sound good unamped, but they also sound good with an amp as well.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #22,819 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks in advance!

They are all reasonable choices provided open and/or semi-open cans will work for you.  The 240 is the most balanced.  The Grado has its unique mid-centric wall of sound and (except for being open) is the most suitable of the three for portable use.  The closed M-50 has the most bass but at the cost of recessed mids.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #22,820 of 29,490
Hey, Im looking for some very comfy immersive gaming headphones. I recently purchased the sony pulse elite and thought they were too gimicky and incredibly uncomfortable. I also had the g930 and found the leatherette uncomfy. I loved the feeling of my old carcharias, but didnt like the sound all that much. I have very sensitive ears, and prefer some open cloth earpads. I do not play a whole lot of fps, and have a very spread taste. As a gamer, I really enjoy bass, which is what lured me to those painful pulse elite.
My limit is a 100.. and maybe a bit over, since I will need a new sound card too. I also will be attaching a mic. I was looking at the ad700, but I have a normal sized cranium and would also miss the bass. Please help, thanks.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #22,821 of 29,490
Hi there, for my Denon AH-D7100, what amplifiers should I get for portable use with ipod and iphone? Fiio E17 or E10 or E7? (which could be used both with my laptop and on the go) My budget does not allow me to spend hundreds of pounds on home entertainment systems as I'm still living at University accommodation.  What would be the best combination to use for my headphone? Thanks very much for your input.

I should mention that I'm new to the audiophile world, and have never used an amp before, I usually listen straight out of my ipod/iphone or mac. I have owned sennheiser, audio technica headphones, as well as Beats pro.

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #22,822 of 29,490
Hey everyone,
I was looking to replace my gaming headset(turtle beach hpa2) with a higher end headset. However, after a bit of research it appears I would be better off getting some good headphones and a cheap mic. So now I'm looking to replace both my headset for gaming/movies/music and my bose ie2 for on the go listening. I listen to mainly rock(think siriusxm channel 37, octane) and electronic(channel 51/52, bpm and electric area). My budget is around $300 and after browsing this forum I think my best bet is the sennheiser momentum. But before I spend my money on these headphones I want everyone's opinion as I can't go anywhere to test them.

After looking around I found that the k550s and the mdr-1r both look pretty solid. I like the idea of a bigger sound stage from the k550s but I'm afraid it will leak too much and be too hard to use o the the go. What do you guys think:
Momentum, k550 or mdr-1r

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #22,823 of 29,490
After looking around I found that the k550s and the mdr-1r both look pretty solid. I like the idea of a bigger sound stage from the k550s but I'm afraid it will leak too much and be too hard to use o the the go. What do you guys think:
Momentum, k550 or mdr-1r
K550 do indeed have much larger cups in circumference and do not come with a carry case and have a long cable. The momentum and sony may be easier to lug around.

I actually love my k550 and the isolation of the k550 is fine. I use them all the time sitting up in bed while my wife sleeps. You just might consider the 551 for the shorter cable if you go with the AKG.

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #22,824 of 29,490
Hi,

I'm a complete audio n00b and was wondering if I could get some help. I have chosen the Schiit Audio Magni and Modi as a desktop setup, hopefully ordering them soon, and the Fiio E7 to pair with my iPod Classic as a portable rig but, when it comes to the headphone side of things I don't really know what to go for. I would like a pair for portability and a pair for at home. My price range is about £350. I consider myself fairly eclectic so some headphone that work well with most genres. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #22,827 of 29,490
Quote:
both for £350 total and for most genres like most rock sub-genres, pop, blues ect.

thanks for the reply:)

Don't know UK pricing, but get the Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro) with at least 250 Ohms, Senn HD 600 or HD-650.

The with whatever budget you have left, get your portable pair.  Depending on remaining budget, you might get a CAL! or KRK KNS 6400 or 8400.

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #22,828 of 29,490
K550 do indeed have much larger cups in circumference and do not come with a carry case and have a long cable. The momentum and sony may be easier to lug around.
I actually love my k550 and the isolation of the k550 is fine. I use them all the time sitting up in bed while my wife sleeps. You just might consider the 551 for the shorter cable if you go with the AKG.

Thanks for the help, the akgs seem pretty good, but so do the sennheisers. Has anyone here happened to use the momentums or the k550/551 for gaming?

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #22,829 of 29,490
I've been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 880's for a while, and have heard mixed things. The Sennheiser HD 650's look fantastic! What are your thoughts on the HiFiMAN HE-300? Portable 'phones, The Phillips Citiscape Uptowns caught my attention.

Thanks for replying:)

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #22,830 of 29,490
SorryI know this has probably been addressed several times in this thread, but with 2000+ comments my ADD doesn't allow for that type of sensory over-load :frowning2: I want to get my husband a set of noise canceling headphones for less than $250. He listens to audio books (text books, nothing fun), transcribes interviews, and watches movies on planes. I'm toying with the Sennheiser PXC 450, but would like someone with a little more knowledge/experience to give honest opinions & offer recommendations. When he listens to music it's usually Tejano or pop music (not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination). He does travel a lot by air and tends to cram gear into a backpack, so durability is important. Some reviews mentioned head size as a factor so I guess I should mention that his head appears to be larger than average, but not grotesquely disproportionate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back