++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 2, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #22,801 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm looking for entry closed headphones around $40(willing to go up a bit its worth it) with this price range I know I cant ask for much, but I'm looking for a pair that has low sound leakage above all else. It would be nice if they were exceptionally comfortable or sound decent ,for their price of course, but sound leakage is priority. I listen to many genres but mainly jazz and house. I was considering the Audio-Technica ATH-M30 or the Monoprice MHP-839, but all other recommendations are welcome. Thanks.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #22,802 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for entry closed headphones around $40(willing to go up a bit its worth it) with this price range I know I cant ask for much, but I'm looking for a pair that has low sound leakage above all else. It would be nice if they were exceptionally comfortable or sound decent ,for their price of course, but sound leakage is priority. I listen to many genres but mainly jazz and house. I was considering the Audio-Technica ATH-M30 or the Monoprice MHP-839, but all other recommendations are welcome. Thanks.

Slim pickings in that price range.  Check out the JVC HARX700.

The Superlux HD 681 Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones will probably leak too much for your needs.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #22,805 of 29,490
Quote:
Damm what the **** here ??!! I ask a question since few days and nobody answer me, community here sucks. I'm leaving. Salut bande de nul !

You made 12 posts and you say community sucks.... o_0

This thread has more people with questions than answers. 

Since you first asked your question did you do any more research and narrow down your list of headphones? Don't expect somebody to make the decision for you.

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #22,806 of 29,490
Quote:

You made 12 posts and you say community sucks.... o_0

This thread has more people with questions than answers. 

Since you first asked your question did you do any more research and narrow down your list of headphones? Don't expect somebody to make the decision for you.

Yep i say that, because before posting here, i create a new post with my question. After fews days of empty "UP" , someone tell to post my question here, so do i, and.. nothing.

And before create my acount here, i read and read and read, and after this reading session i can make a list of headpones. so yes i search a lot before.

Wathever, i made my choice, i'll go to a store soon, and i'll listen between a PX360 / V55 & XB500

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #22,807 of 29,490
Hi,
Im looking for headphones mainly for gaming but also for some movies and music. Ive ordered an Asus Xonar Phoebus and im looking for a good pair of headphones to go with it, ATM particularly interested in the Beyerdynamic 880 Pro (250 ohm) but ive been told that it can be difficult to amp. Is this a problem with the sound card, or is the amp in the sound card powerful enough to take advantage of what the headphones have to offer?

Thanks

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #22,808 of 29,490
Quote:
Slim pickings in that price range.  Check out the JVC HARX700.

The Superlux HD 681 Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones will probably leak too much for your needs.

Also, the Koss Portapros are quite reveled for their amazing price vs. driver quality. The sacrifices? The looks of the headphones are a love hate thing, as it has an almost "retro" look. Definitely an amazing buy for their price ($36). Also, the bass of these guys are pronounced as well, another love/ hate thing.

Best of luck!

~Kami

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #22,809 of 29,490
Quote:

Quote:
Also, the Koss Portapros are quite reveled for their amazing price vs. driver quality. The sacrifices? The looks of the headphones are a love hate thing, as it has an almost "retro" look. Definitely an amazing buy for their price ($36). Also, the bass of these guys are pronounced as well, another love/ hate thing.

Best of luck!

~Kami

Not the best for low leakage though
biggrin.gif
 (the Portapros that is).

Koss DJ100 are a great alternative around $50. They're closed but do have some leakage with stock pads. Changing  the pads to Brainwavz HM5 pads reduces leackage to very little (but adds a extra $16 to the total cost).

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #22,810 of 29,490
Quote:
Yep i say that, because before posting here, i create a new post with my question. After fews days of empty "UP" , someone tell to post my question here, so do i, and.. nothing.
And before create my acount here, i read and read and read, and after this reading session i can make a list of headphones. so yes i search a lot before.
Whatever, i made my choice, I'll go to a store soon, and i'll listen between a PX360 / V55 & XB500

It could be that no one person on Head-fi has use all three of the headphones you listed, so may not be sure on which one to recommend.

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #22,811 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,
Im looking for headphones mainly for gaming but also for some movies and music. Ive ordered an Asus Xonar Phoebus and im looking for a good pair of headphones to go with it, ATM particularly interested in the Beyerdynamic 880 Pro (250 ohm) but ive been told that it can be difficult to amp. Is this a problem with the sound card, or is the amp in the sound card powerful enough to take advantage of what the headphones have to offer?

Thanks

The Phoebus can easily drive 250-Ohm headphones.

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #22,812 of 29,490
Hey,

Can someone please help me decide whether to get the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro or the Hifiman HE 400.
Keep in mind that I like bass. Not terrible overpowered MDR or beats type of bass but bass that has a nice impact which you can feel but without ruining the mids.

I have already bought the Vmoda m100's but I am planning to return them because they are extremely uncomfortable because the earcups are too small.

If anyone has other suggestions please do tell me.
My budget is 300-400 dollars.
And I generally listen to EDM(Dubstep etc) but I occasionally also listen to pop,rock and some female vocal orientated music(Norah Jones).

I own the FiiO E7 so amping wouldnt be a problem.

Finally it would be a great help if you can recommend a good headphone store in the UK. I had to pay a hefty customs charge when ordering the Vmodas from America(£57).

Thank you.

[size=1.7em] [/size]

The HE400 have excellent bass, but they are fairly neutral cans (as will be any in your price range, the high end will usually be neutral focused and emphasized bass will be in the slightly lower tier)
I can't comment on the Beyers but the HE400's are really excellent at all music, I love mine for EDM / dubstep stuff. The bass is great but the entire range is also great...which may/may not provide the impact you seem to want. That will require bass emphasis which is easier found in slightly cheaper phones (but not exclusively)
My short demo of the vmoda 100 showed a bass emphasis but I thought the mids were a lot muddier than my 400's

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #22,813 of 29,490
Quote:
Heyas all, new here and only jus learned about headphone amps and other high end audio equipment last week. I currently own only this dinky thing

http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/wireless-stereo-headset-ps3.html

and am wondering if it's possible to upgrade from there for my own personal uses.

Music genres:
*Mostly Synthesized Rock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSx0SSvOtUs

*Lots of J-Rock/Pop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stk3r9a5ykI

*Lots of Dance/Techno/Industrial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFKzEZhytGA

*Even more Easy Listening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1CjxQXXA7o

Portable: No, home PC use.

Price range: Not including the portable amp/dac, $600. Including a portable amp/dac, $800.

Closed/Open: I prefer Closed, but if Open will offer such a significant mind-boggling world-ending camatose-from-pleasure experience, I'm up for it.

Headphone preference:
*I prefer "fake leather padding" around the ear cups over silk padding, but if a headphone with silk padding will offer such a significant mind-boggling world-ending camatose-from-pleasure experience, I'm up for it.

*A headphone that goes over the head (I hate the over-the-ear ones)

Other Notes:
*I love Bass, but I HATE Bass that drowns everything out

I think u should take a look at the following headphones:

Hifiman HE-500 (which is open, but it still has quite a flat and neutral bass)
Denon AH-D5000 (closed, but the bass might drown to much out for your liking)
Sennheiser HD-650 (open, but is one of the most highly praised headphones around head-fi) (recommendation for the Senns are aftermarket cables and a good amp)

Maybe other members've got some other recommendations :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back