++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 16, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #22,293 of 29,490
So I think that I might just get the he-400 with the schiit magni, and get a modi later. I'm using a computer as my source, hopefully it'll be good

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #22,294 of 29,490
Quote:

If you're going for DT770, avoid the 80 ohm at all costs.  The bass is wildly out of proportion with the other frequencies, treble screeches painfully and the mids get lost in that mess. 

Having bought the 80 ohm version 2 weeks ago, I strongly disagree with everything you said.  Bass is not wild out of proportion, its quite neutral, with slight boost of the sub bass, but it doesn't affect the rest of frequency any more than bass on HD650's, and its not one of those basses that are always there, even when not needed. Its in fact one of the most neutral basses in my opinion. Most headphones lack bass, and those that have a lot, have boomy bass. This doesnt, its very tight, but can hit very hard when needed. Treble is as smooth as on the DT880 600ohm, definitely no screechiness or harshness, and mids to my ears sound fuller than on the DT880. Vocals have more presence and male vocals have far more body to them. Once again I was surprised by the headphones after hearing them for myself, because I expected the things you menitoned. One more lesson for me not to ask on head-fi about how headphones sound. :p

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #22,295 of 29,490
I have got a pair of DT770's but the pads turn out to be a sponge for filth and have passed their useby date so I'm looking for a new set of heaphones.

I know there are replacement pads for them but if I'm spending $50 - 60 aud (almost half of what I paid for them initially) I may as well put in a bit more for another set of headphones.

Any recommendations for a set of decent closed headphones with a bit of bass for under $220? I have a Audinst HUD-mx1 amp so if they need amping its no worries.

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #22,296 of 29,490
Hello!

Looking for a headphone in the 100 - 200 euro price range, intended for indoor purposes only, and will mainly listen via my laptop or sometimes my Iphone 3GS. I listen to metal and trap/dirty south. In regards to metal, things like The Acaia Strain, Emmure... Regarding trap music, anything from the classic 3-6 to Chief Keef, Gucci Mane, Young Dolph. I also plan to use them for listening to movies.

I do like a tight bass for trap, but not sure if this would benefit my metal as well. The only headphones I've used in my life are some 20 year old Sennheiser HD 540 Reference II headphones, which are great for classical music. I have listened to Beats and must say they please me but I've heard there's much better stuff out there for that price.

I've been looking at M-Audio Q40's so far, but as this is going to be an investment for the next decade, I want to get as much options listed as possible.

Thanks!

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #22,297 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I'm definitely open to purchasing an amp/dac (in fact, that was my intention). I realize that the 250 ohm is a (slightly?) better pair of headphones, so I was leaning towards getting those.

So, if I went with the 250 ohm, what amp/dac would you recommend?

I'm not too familiar with desktop amps, but I've seen some pretty favorable comments for the HifiMan EF2A, which goes for around $180, and also the Schiit amps, which range from $99-$749. I can't make a 'real' recommendation, though. Those are only suggestions. 

As someone has already commented, please don't recommend, or suggest, products you don't own. Thanks.
smile.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #22,298 of 29,490
Quote:

Having bought the 80 ohm version 2 weeks ago, I strongly disagree with everything you said.  Bass is not wild out of proportion, its quite neutral, with slight boost of the sub bass, but it doesn't affect the rest of frequency any more than bass on HD650's, and its not one of those basses that are always there, even when not needed. Its in fact one of the most neutral basses in my opinion. Most headphones lack bass, and those that have a lot, have boomy bass. This doesnt, its very tight, but can hit very hard when needed. Treble is as smooth as on the DT880 600ohm, definitely no screechiness or harshness, and mids to my ears sound fuller than on the DT880. Vocals have more presence and male vocals have far more body to them. Once again I was surprised by the headphones after hearing them for myself, because I expected the things you menitoned. One more lesson for me not to ask on head-fi about how headphones sound. :p

If you enjoy the sound, I can't disagree with your taste (assuming Beyer hasn't revamped the drivers in more recent models).  I'm not the only one who thinks the DT770-80 have disproportionate bass and strident treble.  Here's one of my favorite posts on the subject, from user mypasswordis doing his imitation of the headphones:

Quote:
If anything, the DT770/80 is the muddy one.

Here is my sophisticated and well-thought description of its sound:

[size=x-large]THUMP[/size][size=x-large] THUMP THUMP[/size][size=xx-small]splashy splash [/size][size=x-large]THUMP THUMP THUMP[/size]

All mid-bass with some splashy somewhat-sibilant treble mixed in.

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #22,299 of 29,490
Hi.  I'm looking for a companion for my AD900's.  The AD900's are great for classical, jazz, vocal and acoustic stuff, and now I need something for metal, rock, funk, and occasional electronic music.  Where the AD900 is light and airy sounding, I am looking for something more grounded and full sounding. Metal and rock are the priority, but it should do other stuff reasonably well too.  Budget $100-$300.  If it needs a DAC/amp, it will need to be USB powered, and please suggest one that will work with that headphone.  I have been looking a long time for my perfect match, but it seems there will have to be a compromise somewhere.  These will be run out of my HP DV6 laptop with Beats software turned off.  Here are my preferences:

- Efficient enough to run unamped satisfactorily (or cheap enough to budget a USB DAC/amp)
- Closed back
- Over ear
- Sound signature: punchy bass, decent attack, slightly more "fun" than "analytical" 
- Relativley comfortable
- Forgiving enough for MP3's

Some models I am considering:

1. Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 ohm (used) + amp (maybe audioengine d1?)
+ This seems like a very popular all around HP with a nice bass kick.  Comfortable.  I am leaning towards these right now.
- I'd rather not have to buy an amp. If I can find the 32 ohm used I will probably get that.  The 32 ohm is hard to find used though, and the new price is about the same as used 80 ohm + amp.

2. Ultrasone HFI-780
+ Price,  Soundstage
- Sibilance, metallica/harsh sometimes?

3. Audiotechnica A900x
+ Good reviews.  I would kind of like the symmetry of having two ATH 900 models.
- I hear that these are a bit slow.  Maybe too laid back for my tastes? Not sure how they would do with stuff like Slayer.

4. Ultrasone Pro 900 (used) + amp
+ Very resolving, probably the most high end phone on the list
- a bit over budget with the amp, maybe too detailed for some MP3's or poorer recordings

5. ATH M50S 
+ Price, many people seem to recommend them
- I've also read that these are overrated, and bass can get a bit muddy

6. DT 990 PRO 32 ohm (used)
+ Great sound quality, good bass for an open can
- Open, some people seem to think even the 32 ohm really needs an amp
If you guys think the 990's sound quality is really much better or a better match for me than other options, let me know.  I really do prefer closed, but I might be persuaded to go open for this one.  Also, will the bass be enough for double bass drums?

I considered these at some point, but have decided against:
Grados - Not versatile enough, open, on-ear
SRH840 - Too slow, build quality, sound signature just seems wrong for me
HD25-1-ii - If these were over ear I would have already ordered them.  From what I've read, the sound signature would be great.  On ear is not so comfortable for me though.
AH-D2000- discontinued, hard to find
AKG K 271 MK II + amp - mixed reviews, muddy bass?

Some examples of music I would like to listen to with them:

Metallica (old Metallica is my favorite, these phones must play it well), King Crimson, Mastodon, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Joe Satriani, Parliament/Funkadelic, Isaac Hayes, Rare Earth, Primus, Led Zeppelin, Allman Brothers, Talking Heads, Royksopp, MGMT, Rory Gallagher, DJ Shadow, Pretty Lights, Slayer

Thanks in advance!

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #22,300 of 29,490
This may be the last question i ask: Does the HE-400 require a dac to sound good? I plan on using it with a schiit magni amp, into a computer, nothing else.

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #22,301 of 29,490
Quote:

If you enjoy the sound, I can't disagree with your taste (assuming Beyer hasn't revamped the drivers in more recent models).  I'm not the only one who thinks the DT770-80 have disproportionate bass and strident treble.  Here's one of my favorite posts on the subject, from user mypasswordis doing his imitation of the headphones:

Then Beyer changed the drivers. Or mypasswordis doesnt know the difference between mid bass and sub bass. DT770's definitely dont have a mid bass lift, only a sub bass lift. My HD650's have a more boomy mid bass than Pro 80's.

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #22,302 of 29,490
Hi. I started a new thread yesterday and only just realised I should have posted in here instead. So, my original thread copy and pasted below, cheers :)

I have been using my HD25-1's along with an Apogee Duet for years now, feeding from a variety of macs via firewire (320 mp3's, mixture of genres)

Although I love the sound I get, I feel like it might be time for an upgrade. Besides, firewire is going the way of the dodo unfortunately.

I have roughly narrowed my choices to the Denon D7100 and Audiolab M-DAC. I know the D7100's are not best loved on here, but I can get them at a really good price and, as open headphones are not an option, these tick a lot of boxes for me. the M-DAC just seems amazing by the reviews - never heard one and wont have the opportunity to demo either that or the headphones, but sometimes its better to just jump in, otherwise my OCD would stop me from ever purchasing anything, ever!

My question is, would I realistically get much of an improvement with this setup, compared to my current? The apogee sounds wonderful and im wary of how much difference another DAC would possibly make. Also, by my understanding, the Denons should be basically an improved version of the HD25's - pretty much a similar experience but better - big bottom along with a 'pleasant' sound?

Could anyone who might have experience with any of these lend some advice?

Thank you!

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #22,303 of 29,490
Hi Guys,

I'll start by admitting I'm very new to the Headphones game.  I'm starting my Doctoral studies in a few weeks and I thought seeing as I will be spending an awful lot of time at my desk as Uni I'd shout myself a pair of decent headphones.

I wouldn't say I'm an audiophile by anymeans, I just love good/fun sounding music.  I inherited a pair of Yamaha NS-1000M speakers from my father a few years ago and I've been using his Bose on-ear headphones around home while studying as well (not 100% sure of the model of those but these are them http://www.cnet.com.au/bose-on-ear-headphones-339289093.htm#image1 ).

I don't really have anything to compare them to as to whether or not I like the sound.  I do like the amount of bass they have (but i'm definitely not a bass head) but find when I'm listening to some rock music (KOL, Black Keys - modern rock) the guitars can lose their edge, even with most of the other music I listen to I often hear predominately bass with vocals.

So enough about that, what am I looking for?

I'm definitely looking for over ear and ones that are comfortable, seeing as I'll be wearing for great lengths while studying.  The less sound leakage the better otherwise my colleagues who I share my office with won't like me for very long. As I previously mentioned I do like bass but I'm not a basshead (took the subwoofer out of my car years ago!!) but when I'm listening to something dance I like that little bit of a kick you get from the bass.  Usually I listen to what ever is in the charts really, examples of artists I guess i would say anything from David Guetta, Avicii, Vampire Weekend, through to Coldplay, Kings of Leon, hell I even listen to Michael Buble and Frank Sinatra if I'm in the mood, also often mashups I nab from soundcloud.  I'm not into headphones that are really out there looking - lots of chrome, shiny plastic, big huge motherf****rs - I just think they look cheap.  I do like the look of the V-Moda M-100 (in matte black of course) but also like something as simple as the Sony MDR 7509HD's.

I have a budget of about $350, but seeing as I'm in australia (adelaide in particular) we don't exactly have anywhere that I know of that sells anything other then Beats, Sennheiser or SOL republic (basically just your fashion accessory brands) of which I'm not a fan of any of them, which means I'm more then likely going to have to get them off the internet without having listened or tried their fit prior (brave I know but that's what you get for choosing to live in Adelaide) and pay for shipping or wait till I pop over to Melbourne again (hopefully soon).

I'd be running them off my iPhone, or my computer in my office/laptop at home.

I look forward to hearing any opinions anyone wants to throw forward.

Oh and IF they were able to fold up that'd be awesome as I do have to do alot of traveling into the country for my research and interstate for conferences, etc.

Cheers guys.
P.S. I just re-read all of that and realised how much of a picky person I am so I do apologise in advance if you wrack your brain trying to think of something to suggest.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #22,304 of 29,490
I'm going through a terrible time as I'm stuck in a very noisy office. There is a major renovation work upstairs and the jackhammering is driving me crazy! I once used Peltor Optime 105 over some foam earplugs, but even then the sound still went through. The work is supposed to last more than two weeks, so I'm in desperate need of a pair of noise isolating headphones (or earphones) with some white noise on to keep me mentally stable.

The drilling lasts for 3 minutes at most and occurs every few minutes. Are noise cancelling headphones effective at this kind of intermittent noise? Or should I buy a pair of noise isolating headphones and crank up the volume? My budget is around $100-150 dollars, but can go over if there's something really good. Thanks~

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #22,305 of 29,490
I'm finally getting around to buying my first pair of decent headphones. I've been putting it off but the time has come. I've been researching for a bit now and my choices have fallen down to these three. (Recommendations are welcome). Financially, my choices are the Audio Technica ATH-M50's, the AKG K550's or the Shure SRH 840's. I listen to all genres of music basically with exceptions to dance/techno. Mainly listen to most forms of rock/alternative. I'm really looking for an all rounder. I'm not a bass-head per se however, I wouldn't want a complete lack of it. I guess I'm looking for a more neutral closed back pair that wouldn't be too difficult to run. Would be used mainly with 160gb iPod Classic or for recording purposes. I was also looking into the fiio portable amplifier range and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding these products. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back