++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #22,261 of 29,490
Hey, thanks for the response! And yeah, the ATH-M50 does seem suspiciously well-rated everywhere though never seems to be anyone's ultimate recommendation for a really great set.. I mean, if they're rated so consistently high, there must be a reason for that-- though without hearing them myself, for whatever reason I don't quite trust it. What specifically makes you say they're overrated?

That's because there are a lot of people who use the M50 and like it. I don't particularly care for it in favor of a lot of my other headphones but saying a headphone that sells for only $114 on amazon (even lower as of yesterday) is overrated is really a matter for PERSONAL taste.

It is really more that it is a running joke on one of the threads on here to recommend the M50 for everything by people with little audio experience because it is such a common headphone. I was able to enjoy my M50 with EQ.

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #22,263 of 29,490
Gahhh....so as i've said so many times on here, i've been debating whether to get the he-400's or vmoda m100's. Two completely different sound signatures, uses, sizes, etc.....
See, i need a pair of headphones for home listening and another for when i'm on the go. I plan on getting both eventually, but i want one of them for now...the vmoda's are more useful, while the he-400's are better sound-wise. I have about $500 so i can only get one of them, and the he-400's probably require a an amp/dac. So what would you do, head-fi? (i listen to radiohead, arcade fire, muse, and edm)

You did see the sale posted the day before yesterday? $360 new shipped HE400? I knew you were looking for a deal before.

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #22,266 of 29,490
Quote:
Here's the post
http://www.head-fi.org/t/505970/the-deals-thread-beware-too-cheap-scam-or-fake-no-affiliate-links-permitted/8295#post_8956120
Link still looks good. i have never heard of that retailer. Good luck.

The retailer is a an authorized dealer (from the hifiman website) so it must be legit.
Alright, but what amp/dac should i get then?

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #22,267 of 29,490
The retailer is a an authorized dealer (from the hifiman website) so it must be legit.
Alright, but what amp/dac should i get then?

I dunno buddy. That's up to you.
O2+ODAC? = $285
Magni+Modi = $200
E10 = $45

Did you see that tread yet?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/640774/this-schiit-is-bananas-99-schiit-magni-amp-and-99-modi-dac/0_20

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #22,268 of 29,490
Quote:
I dunno buddy. That's up to you.
O2+ODAC? = $285
Magni+Modi = $200
E10 = $45
Did you see that tread yet?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/640774/this-schiit-is-bananas-99-schiit-magni-amp-and-99-modi-dac/0_20

I've been wondering whether to get the e17 or the the new schiit stuff. no one knows how the schiit stuff is, though, right?

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #22,269 of 29,490
I've been wondering whether to get the e17 or the the new schiit stuff. no one knows how the schiit stuff is, though, right?

Based on my satisfaction with the lyr, i just pulled the trigger on the modi. I think I am gunna buy the magni as well even though I don't remotely "need" it. If you are concerned and want to play it safe, orders are starting to arrive, there should be more impressions and info on both starting today on the dedicated thread I would imagine. Good luck and hope you finally get your HE400.
edit: http://www.head-fi.org/t/640783/schiit-magni-headphone-amplifier/140_20#post_8960734

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #22,270 of 29,490
Quote:
Based on my satisfaction with the lyr, i just pulled the trigger on the modi. I think I am gunna buy the magni as well even though I don't remotely "need" it. If you are concerned and want to play it safe, orders are starting to arrive, there should be more impressions and info on both starting today on the dedicated thread I would imagine. Good luck and hope you finally get your HE400.

BAH.....the extra money from the magni + the modi is making it hard to pull the trigger....i'm using my computer as my source, do i absolutely need the modi? It's built by me, without a soundcard.

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #22,271 of 29,490
BAH.....the extra money from the magni + the modi is making it hard to pull the trigger....i'm using my computer as my source, do i absolutely need the modi? It's built by me, without a soundcard.

I avoid using onboard audio on any computer as a general rule just from my experience. I don't know coz I have never heard your mobo though.

An economical option is get the E10 for 45 bucks now. You can then later get more money together and upgrade the amp section of the E10 while continuing to use the E10 as your DAC (it is a perfectly good DAC to my ears.) Then if you feel the need you can later upgrade the DAC. You may not need to. Then you don't have to spring $200 plus shipping right away. The E10 is a solid little performer for its price and size.

http://www.adorama.com/FIE10.html

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #22,275 of 29,490
Recommendations for a comfortable circum-aural headphone for home listening, driven from an audio-gd NFB-5, maybe £200 budget. Genre includes a lot of EDM, but primarily split between trance/progressive house (focus on hard/hollow kickdrum & soaring ethereal synth/vocals) & liquid DnB/chillstep (focus on *low* sub-bass lines, sort of thing my 8" BR sub tuned to 43Hz handles nicely).

I use Denon AH-D1001 at work (recabled & markl-type mod'd) through a topkit'd iBasso D4 Mamba & whilst they are gloriously comfortable (even for a full day's listening in the office) they simply don't play low enough. I also have brainwavz hm3 which kick plenty but lack the low end extension & aren't comfortable - I tried Beyer pads but they lose the seal & thus all bass.

So what are peoples' recommendations? Denon AH-D2000 are the obvious choice, but they're harder to come by since being discontinued & I don't know how low they realistically play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back