++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #21,091 of 29,490
Quote:
The Phelab's are knock off of Fiio products. I personally don't support knock off products.

Are they knocks off? Or is maybe FiiO making it for them? Looks like it might just be rebranded. Read the text with this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXWNBIztOCI

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #21,092 of 29,490
Quote:
Having some trouble with deciding on my next headphone and DAC/amp purchase.

1. My "desktop" DAC/amp is a FiiO E17. May not be the best, but it's what I could afford and it's improved my listening experience at home. Whatever I get will be driven by the E17 until play funds recover enough for a DAC/amp upgrade.
  2. I've learned that I greatly enjoy speed. The drum solo in Five Finger Death Punch's "Coming Down" sounds very different between my SR850s and Philips Uptowns and strongly favors the Uptowns. Accordingly, attack and decay are important. Base impact and extension > "amount" of base.
  3. I think I want more balance than a bass-, mid-, or treble-oriented headphone.
  4. I'd love a good soundstage.
  5. Headphone budget $400-450 ideally.
  6. I'd list music genres, but frankly they vary too broadly to be useful. Good "all around" headphones would definitely be appreciated vs one-genre-wonders.
  7. I have no bias for open or closed; it will be for home listening.

Right now, it seems the HD600 and HE-400 are the most well-spoken of in this price range. Incidentally, it sounds like both can be driven by an E17. Any other suggestions in this price range?

im going to have to agree with zeinharis, go for the he-400. ive got a set of he-4's and they are absolutely killer. to my ears they are quite fast. the extension is very good, and impact in general is great. very realistic decay. the bass is there when you want it, and not when you dont. from my experience these hifimans are suited for most genres. i believe the he-4 and the he-400 are supposed to sound similar. if so, either will be a great fit for you.

Nov 12, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #21,093 of 29,490
Thinking about heading in a full-size can direction after using IEM's for awhile (Yamaha EPH-100s).

I'm looking for something sub $120 that I can DJ on and use for casual listening. I've been ogling at Technics DJ-1200s after seeing Armin Van Buuren and a bunch of other DJ's rock them, along with Senn's HD 25-1's, but I'm trying to save cash for controllers and software, plus I think it's good for me to have some growing room. Durability and flexibility is something I'm definitely looking for; I'll admit I'm kind of interested in getting headphones because I'm a little afraid of accidentally pulling my IEM's out.

I can amp with a FiiO E11 that's been sitting around going to disuse, I was a newbie then and didn't realize that my IEM's 16ohms would never ask for them haha. I listen to an absolute abundance of EDM, rock, and now some pop, but I'm trying to keep my spectrum wide open.

I'd honestly like something that's not quite bass heavy by itself, since the E11 gives me that option on a hardware switch. What I'm particularly looking for is something that has controlled highs, call me a budding treblehead if you want haha. The EPH-100s have a dip on their freq. response around 4kHz that's ABSOLUTELY killing me every time vocals kick in. Something that gets its trebles essentially flat before rolling off in the high frequencies would be a dream.

Soundstage is something I've learned to appreciate with the EPH-100s; I'd pick a headphone with good response and a nice soundstage over an amazing response but lacking soundstage.

So far all I've been able to find are AKGs and Pioneers; the Pioneers I know are kind of messy and the newer AKG's I'm having trouble finding info on. Can anyone provide some advice? Thanks!

edit : Actually I just found out the DH-1200s and DJ-1200s are around $120...are they really that good?

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #21,094 of 29,490
I preordered V-moda m-100 .. I want to get the most out of it ... do I need a headphone amp or the m-100 will perform perfectly on a stand-alone basis ... If there is a need ... What kind of amps will fit me ... Am considering Fiio (E6-E7-E11-E17) but I don't have any clue what are the differences between them ... The E17 is too expensive but if it makes a noticeable difference and there is a gab in terms of performance i'll put it on the list ... I will be using the headphones mainly with the iPhone 5 - iPad - Macbook (I Used the iPhone and the iPad most of the time) .. I really appreciate your help and concern guys ... sorry for being noob but its the first time to think of an amp 
font]

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #21,095 of 29,490
Hey head-fi forum, sorry for probably asking similar questions as many people before me had, but I searched and didnt find a thread that fitted to what I'm looking for.
obviously, Im looking to buy new headphones. I never had full sized headphones before, and I decided its time to buy ones finally, because the similar-to-music blur my headphones make (that came with my cell phone) isnt very satisfying.

I think on-ear headphones will fit my need more, but I dont mind buying over ear if they arent too big and bulky.
I will use them mainly at home and while sitting on the bus. so I want them to be pretty portable but not those tiny things I found when searching "portable". its important that sound wont leak out because where im living people are not very polite nor understanding that different people like different types of music, so I want to prevent inconvenience for both sides. 
I listen mainly to rock, pretty much every kind of rock. from coldplay, to eric clapton, up to Dream Theater. bass is nice and important but I want it to just be there, without too much of it. I like to hear the details of the song, the vocals, and be able to tell apart the different instrument in the song. I think mainly,Im looking for a clear sound, that shows the song as it is without adding to it, though I havent checked different headphones and dont really know the difference.

at first I wanted to pay up to 50$ but from what i understood I wont really find something in this price range that worth the money so I can pay around 70$, and up to 100$ if its an amazing deal.

another thing that is quite important to me is the looks. Its not the main feature I'm looking for or I would just buy a skullcandy headphone but I want them to look fine, and not to manly (I cant ask for girly headphones because the only thing I found are hideous pink glowing things so I  will be ok with the normal looking headphones).

from what I read so far I'm thinking about koss pro dj 100 or Beyerdynamic DT235 that I just found in one of the comparison threads here. Ill really appreciate to hear you opinion. and sorry for the really long message, I just thought that the more details, the easier it would be and less time consuming for you :) thanks alot and sorry for my noobieness. 

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #21,096 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok guys so >$100 Hybrid Tube Amps, lemmie hear what you guys think!

I've found these three so far listed from highest Price to lowest! 

[size=1.7em] Qinpu Q-2 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier[/size]

[size=1.7em] Bravo V2 12AU7 Tube Headphone Amplifier[/size]

[size=1.7em] MUSE 6N11 MKII MK 2 Class A Hybrid Tube Headphone Amplifier[/size]

I want a little Tube amp to use until I can get the $1,000 that I want to buy my T3 set up [Dac+Tube+Can] so please do NOT recommend a tube over $100! My thoughts are 
1) I like collecting audio gear and these are cool :3
2) a Hybrid Tube will sound better than an on par Pure Solid State
3) I'm open to Tube Rolling on these amps <3
4) thanks in advance you guys :D

I can tell you it isn't going to be as good as a pure solid state amp for that price.  Anyway, I have the Qinpu A-3 myself, and I like it.  It is good for speakers and headphones (if the headphones have a high enough impedance.)  Tube rolling is probably going to be best in the Bravo followed by the Qinpu.  On the Qinpu at least, I definitely suggest rolling the tube pretty much immediately.  The cheap Chinese one that comes with it sounds like ****.  I like the GE 5670 for the price.  There is a Western Electric that is supposed to be a bit better, but it is expensive.  Also, probably needless to say, but the Qinpu has by far the highest cool factor being black with red highlights :wink:

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #21,097 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey head-fi forum, sorry for probably asking similar questions as many people before me had, but I searched and didnt find a thread that fitted to what I'm looking for.
obviously, Im looking to buy new headphones. I never had full sized headphones before, and I decided its time to buy ones finally, because the similar-to-music blur my headphones make (that came with my cell phone) isnt very satisfying.

I think on-ear headphones will fit my need more, but I dont mind buying over ear if they arent too big and bulky.
I will use them mainly at home and while sitting on the bus. so I want them to be pretty portable but not those tiny things I found when searching "portable". its important that sound wont leak out because where im living people are not very polite nor understanding that different people like different types of music, so I want to prevent inconvenience for both sides. 
I listen mainly to rock, pretty much every kind of rock. from coldplay, to eric clapton, up to Dream Theater. bass is nice and important but I want it to just be there, without too much of it. I like to hear the details of the song, the vocals, and be able to tell apart the different instrument in the song. I think mainly,Im looking for a clear sound, that shows the song as it is without adding to it, though I havent checked different headphones and dont really know the difference.

at first I wanted to pay up to 50$ but from what i understood I wont really find something in this price range that worth the money so I can pay around 70$, and up to 100$ if its an amazing deal.

another thing that is quite important to me is the looks. Its not the main feature I'm looking for or I would just buy a skullcandy headphone but I want them to look fine, and not to manly (I cant ask for girly headphones because the only thing I found are hideous pink glowing things so I  will be ok with the normal looking headphones).

from what I read so far I'm thinking about koss pro dj 100 or Beyerdynamic DT235 that I just found in one of the comparison threads here. Ill really appreciate to hear you opinion. and sorry for the really long message, I just thought that the more details, the easier it would be and less time consuming for you :) thanks alot and sorry for my noobieness. 

Dream Theater rocks on the Koss Pro DJ100.  Anyway, they are decently portable, and they are sturdy as it gets.  I'd throw mine against the concrete wall in my room and put it on youtube, but I am afraid for the concrete wall.

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #21,099 of 29,490
I have two questions:

1. Currently I have a set of ATH-AD900s, and they're great cans, but should I use an amp & DAC, such as the O2 + ODAC to beef them up a bit?  I sit at a desk all day plugged into my computer so I'm not worried about portability.

2.  I would like a second set of closed cans that hit heavier for rock/metal and some techno/dubstep.  I've seen a lot of recommendations thrown out there, but want to stick in the $300 - $400 range.  I'm not opposed to getting an amp for these, but would want an amp that works for both set of cans.  

Thanks!

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #21,100 of 29,490
hi i was wondering if anyone can help me here im looking for headphones with great bass good sound quality great isolation cause i like to listen to my music loud i would like some comfort cause i like to listen to my music for 2 to 3 hours i like to listen to house dance rap and rock and i wanna drive them out of a iphone i was looking at the ultrasone hfi580 or the pro 550 or the ath m50 if you guys can help me pick a one of them or have something different in mind please any help would be greatly appreciated thank you for the time

Havent heard the ultrasones. But i would try the UE6000 over the m50 based on your description in a heartbeat. They are also very comfy. A lot more so than the m50.

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #21,101 of 29,490
Quote:
1. Currently I have a set of ATH-AD900s, and they're great cans, but should I use an amp & DAC, such as the O2 + ODAC to beef them up a bit?  I sit at a desk all day plugged into my computer so I'm not worried about portability.
2.  I would like a second set of closed cans that hit heavier for rock/metal and some techno/dubstep.  I've seen a lot of recommendations thrown out there, but want to stick in the $300 - $400 range.  I'm not opposed to getting an amp for these, but would want an amp that works for both set of cans.  

The O2+ODAC should bring out the best in the ATH-AD900 headphones.
O2+ODAC should work well with any headphone you choose to get in the future.
Maybe pick up a used pair of Denon AH-D2000, hear great things about their bass and over all sound quality.
What are you using to play your audio files with?

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #21,103 of 29,490
Hi,

I am looking for new headphones, I have about $200-250 to spend, I can possibly stretch it to $300 if it would be justified (noticable improvement). I don't have an amp or dac currently. I strongly prefer "around ear" headphones, and comfort is very important. I listen mostly to post-rock, jazz, ambient, lounge, rock (classic, indie, occasionally stoner), sometimes classical. Occasionaly some intelligent/ambient drum and bass, but almost no "regular" dnb. I suppose the rock would require quite a different style of headphones but I mainly want the post-rock, jazz, ambient, loungy stuff to sound great. Absolutely no metal, techno, trance, rap, hip hop, dubstep or variations on these genres would be played through these cans, ever. I tend to like a neutral sound. Bass should be present, but I'm not a basshead at all. As long it's not completely lacking all should be fine. I do watch quite some movies, so anything that would be good for that is a plus, but the focus is really on the music. I haven't owned any cans over $80 or so previously (some cheaper Senn's and AKG's mostly), so I don't really know what I can expect. They would be used with my iPod and laptop. I am willing to buy an amp and/or dac if it would make a reasonable difference, but it would have to be from the same budget, so that would mean cheaper headphones. At the moment I'm considering the HD598's. Would that be a good choice, or do you know of anything better?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #21,104 of 29,490
Hello,

I've been doing a bit of research in the differences between the Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 using Sonic's guide and other users thoughts on the forums. I've come to the conclusion that anything above 250Ohm is going to be extremely overkill for me. Mainly because my ear isn't trained and I highly doubt I'll be able to tell any differences between a 250Ohm and 600 Ohm; I'm still unsure if I can notice the difference between 80 Ohm & 250 Ohms.

I've come to the conclusion that the DT 880 or 990 will cater to type of music I do listen more often: Alternative Rock, Trance, HardDance, and death metal.

My question is should I go with the 80 or 250 Ohm, and which amp would I require to power each these headphones. As well, is there a noticeable differences in 80 & 250 ohms for person who's ear isn't "trained"? I was considering the (Pro) version due to having it a bit more bass.

What matters to me is the comfort and hitting the low notes tightly, but with a bit of a shake. I'm currently using HD595, which doesn't really cater to my taste of music, but I can wear it for 3+ hours without it bothering me one bit.

Any other suggestions to other par of headphones along with amps would be greatly appreciative. I have only looked at beyerdynamis & ultrasone (ruled this out due to the lack of comfortability when testing a friends.)

Thanks,

Side note: I'm going to be using my pc w/ foobar2000, and hopefully with an amp that does optical in otherwise I might get a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back