++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #21,076 of 29,490
Quote:

EDIT: Oh and by the way i'm not a pro at the audio, and i'm not sure if it really worth it to get the DAC feature would be great to know if its important for the best quality possible.

Depends on what you hook it up to. For example, a lot of PCs have pretty crappy sound. A DAC would improve the SQ. 

But if you are using an iPhone, which has decent sound, just get a headphone amp. 

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #21,078 of 29,490
Hey
I have been browsing this forum for a few months now, ever since i started being interested in buying full headphone (always have used cheap earphones before)
My main use for my headphones would be to ride on the bus back and forth from school, and maybe some use at home. I have looked into a ton of headphones and read a lot of reviews on here, looked at M50s, sennheisers, shures, Creative aurvana

A few days ago I finally ordered Phillips Citiscape Uptowns, after reading some positive reviews here (about comfort & .isolation) And i really like em, its just that they dont seem ideal to put in my backpack during school - kinda feel like they would break even if i got a case (also the bass seems very weak though i tried the iTune's equalizer for now). So I was wondering about returning the Uptowns and buying the Aiaiai TMA-1s. 
In your guy's opinions which ones would be better on these fronts?

Portability- As in putting it in my backpack without fearing that it will break. I feel like the TMAs are very durable and ever though the Phillips are good i think they could break with some pressure. Also the very short cable on the Phillips is annoying.

Isolation- The Uptowns isolate very well idd, awesome to use it on the bus. Do TMAs isolate better though? considering they are on-ears 

Sound Quality - I really feel like the bass on the Uptowns suck, and most of my music is hip hop. Alt rock sound awesome, but i barely have any of those, and tbh am not very interested in that genre :|

So I guess my question is basically, are the TMA's as good (or better) at isolation, as comfortable as the Uptowns, and have a way better bass response? 

Thanks for any advice

-btw I was not sure whether to post a new thread or post in the "Recommendations" thread, so i did both. 

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #21,079 of 29,490
Ok guys so >$100 Hybrid Tube Amps, lemmie hear what you guys think!

I've found these three so far listed from highest Price to lowest! 

[size=1.7em] Qinpu Q-2 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier[/size]

[size=1.7em] Bravo V2 12AU7 Tube Headphone Amplifier[/size]

[size=1.7em] MUSE 6N11 MKII MK 2 Class A Hybrid Tube Headphone Amplifier[/size]

I want a little Tube amp to use until I can get the $1,000 that I want to buy my T3 set up [Dac+Tube+Can] so please do NOT recommend a tube over $100! My thoughts are 
1) I like collecting audio gear and these are cool :3
2) a Hybrid Tube will sound better than an on par Pure Solid State
3) I'm open to Tube Rolling on these amps <3
4) thanks in advance you guys :D

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #21,080 of 29,490
I have a quick question, is the PHE7AB a good portable Amp/DAC? (I will be using with ATH-AD900)

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Home-PHE7AB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B004V9GPHS/ref=lh_ni_t

1. USB audio decoding and output for PC, functioning as a high quality external USB soundcard
  2. Texas Instruments’ PCM2706 serves as USB receiver. For better sound quality, a Wolfson WM8740 serves as digital-to-analog convertor (DAC), pairing with a high performance operational amplifier from ADI for the DAC circuit
  3. Built-in headphone amplifier utilizing AD8692 and Texas Instruments’ TPA6130A as pre- and power-amp for high performance, good resolution, low distortion, and powerful output
  4. Standard 3.5mm stereo line-in jack for portable amplification with conventional audio source
  5. Dual 3.5mm headphone output jack. Convenient design makes it easy to share music between two listeners
  6. Easy to use digital volume control function with great precision and channel balance
  7. Built-in EQ for 3 levels of Bass Boost
  8. Built-in rechargeable 1050 mAH Li-ion battery for 80 hours of continuous operation
  9. Quality anodized aluminum satin finish case design, small and compact, ideal to be wrapped together with digital audio player
  10. User selectable USB charging function to help prolong battery lifespan and lower distortion from power supply circuit
  11. User definable startup volume memory and maximum volume limiter to protect user from hearing damage due to loud volume
  12. Automatic keylock feature
  13. User definable sleep timer function and total runtime display
  14. Output Power: 150mW (16O)16mW (300O)
  15. Headphone Impedance Range:16 O ~ 300 O
  16. SNR: =95dB (A weight)on line-in, =100dB (A weight)on USB-in
  17. Distortion: <0.009% (10mW)on line-in, <0.008% (10mW) on USB-in
  18. Frequency Range: 10Hz ~ 1000KHz
  19. Power Supply: Rechargeable Li-ion battery
  20. Recharging: USB 5V DC 400mA
  21. Size: 96mmx55mmx15.5mm
  22. Weight: 100g
  23. Sold as : Unit

Please all i need is a confirmation that it will make my headphones sound like they are meant to sound and will get all the quality sound.
I will buy the Headphone+Amp kit right after! :D

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #21,081 of 29,490
Quote:
Thank to everyone who helped me,

I decided to buy the ATH-AD900 but i only need to find a good cheap amp for it (under 50$). I was about to take the Fiio E7 but Fiio product don't seem to ship to canada from amazon. Wich amp should i get and, if possible, is there a different website where i could get the e7 for a low price (i searched and found nothing.) ?

Thanks again.

Good choice on the AD900 recommendation I originally told you, the K701/Q702's are bright like the AD700, also has almost no bass, although it is nicely tightly presented. The AD900 is a good balance compared to the K/Q701/702's sound. Both headphones are well built with good quality.
Quote:
what is the best DAC under US$275 for the sennheiser hd600? I was looking at the Cambridge Dacmagic which is selling in FS forum for $275. It´s a good deal for the HD600?
I was looking also to the Bifrost that is the same price point, How does the dacmagic compare to the Bifrost? any other DAC recommended for the hd600?

If you don't mind waiting, I recommend a Ross Martin DAC, it is custom made by Ross himself (based in the US), I have one and their was some people comparing it to the Benchmark DAC-1 (which is a $1k+ DAC), I compared mine to one myself and sounds a good 80-90% of its sound for a fraction of its price. There are also customizations for the Ross Martin DAC on his website, such as balanced XLR inputs, headphone out etc, for the price around $250-300, it is very hard to beat, blows the Cambridge DACMagic (which doesn't sound as good as the the Matrix DAC), the Bifrost, most of Hlly's range and few others. The first thing you would notice with a Ross Martin DAC is how dead quiet the background is, it is that good.

Quote:
Thanks, very helpful, good to see i'm able to buy Fiio in Canada.

The only problem is that i wanted the E7 and it seems to be missing at that website. (Wanted because of the DAC feature and low price.)
I might just get another Fiio product, but i gotta make sure that i really can't get the E7 in Canada.

ill keep looking for now, let me know if any of you know a different website with good discount like amazon.

EDIT: Oh and by the way i'm not a pro at the audio, and i'm not sure if it really worth it to get the DAC feature would be great to know if its important for the best quality possible.

Fiio E11? Give's you gain, bass equalisation control.

Quote:
Hey everyone, I've been using the Sennheiser HD595s for the past two years and though I love them, I'm interested in getting a better pair. My price limit is $300 and I've been especially looking at the AKG K701s and AKG Q701s, but an Audio Technica or anything else you'd recommend would be good as well. I've got the Electric Avenues Pa2v2 amp and I'm not really interested in getting another amp, but I've heard that the AKGs I mentioned won't sound good unless I have a $100+ quality amp. Should I cross the AKGs off the list or would the Pa2v2 do them justice? Or is there a reasonably priced amp out there that would work well with the AKGs?

I essentially listen to everything from electronic to jazz to metal so it's safe to treat everything equally, though rock and jazz are probably slightly favored over electronic and classical (but not by much).

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

The HD595's has a warm signature in comparison to the K701/Q702's which has a very bright sound sig. You would lose the bass and the ability of the HD595 which suits alot of genres for the AKG's larger soundstage. The pa2v2 which is based on the Cmoy circuit will do, both headphones doesn't require heaps of power to drive the headphones.

Quote:

I want a little Tube amp to use until I can get the $1,000 that I want to buy my T3 set up [Dac+Tube+Can] so please do NOT recommend a tube over $100! My thoughts are 

You will not get the sound on par of a pure solid state with the cheap tube amp's listed. I'd definitely cross the Muse 6N11 amp out due to a few problems I've personally had myself. If your willing to do some mods, the Bravo V2 tube amp is a good one to play with.

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #21,082 of 29,490
Quote:

With Bravo V2 you will get better PRaT. The Bravo is cheap, but don't be mistaken with it's price because it's pretty good in terms of sound quality, here's a thought http://www.headfonia.com/bravo-hybrid-tube-amplifier/ 
beerchug.gif

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #21,083 of 29,490
Quote:

With Bravo V2 you will get better PRaT. The Bravo is cheap, but don't be mistaken with it's price because it's pretty good in terms of sound quality, here's a thought http://www.headfonia.com/bravo-hybrid-tube-amplifier/ 
beerchug.gif

+1, there's a huge amount of mods on the Rockgrotto forum for the Bravo that will have it punch above its value in terms of sound easily. Not to mention the joys of tube rolling 12AU7's in the amp, there's a huge range of tube options for whatever sound your after.

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #21,084 of 29,490
Quote:
Thank you guys for the replies to my question. The Audio Technica ATH-AD700 seem to best fit my needs. I only have one more question: Are any amps ideal (or needed) for these headphones? Or can I plug them straight into my computer and be good to go?

The AD700 is very easy to drive---it should be fine driven out of any reasonable computer.  (I am listening to it now, out of my Fujitsu Lifebook TH700 tablet PC!)

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #21,086 of 29,490
hi i was wondering if anyone can help me here im looking for headphones with great bass good sound quality great isolation cause i like to listen to my music loud i would like some comfort cause i like to listen to my music for 2 to 3 hours i like to listen to house dance rap and rock and i wanna drive them out of a iphone i was looking at the ultrasone hfi580 or the pro 550 or the ath m50 if you guys can help me pick a one of them or have something different in mind please any help would be greatly appreciated thank you for the time

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #21,088 of 29,490
Having some trouble with deciding on my next headphone and DAC/amp purchase.

1. My "desktop" DAC/amp is a FiiO E17. May not be the best, but it's what I could afford and it's improved my listening experience at home. Whatever I get will be driven by the E17 until play funds recover enough for a DAC/amp upgrade.
  2. I've learned that I greatly enjoy speed. The drum solo in Five Finger Death Punch's "Coming Down" sounds very different between my SR850s and Philips Uptowns and strongly favors the Uptowns. Accordingly, attack and decay are important. Base impact and extension > "amount" of base.
  3. I think I want more balance than a bass-, mid-, or treble-oriented headphone.
  4. I'd love a good soundstage.
  5. Headphone budget $400-450 ideally.
  6. I'd list music genres, but frankly they vary too broadly to be useful. Good "all around" headphones would definitely be appreciated vs one-genre-wonders.
  7. I have no bias for open or closed; it will be for home listening.

Right now, it seems the HD600 and HE-400 are the most well-spoken of in this price range. Incidentally, it sounds like both can be driven by an E17. Any other suggestions in this price range?

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #21,090 of 29,490
Quote:
Having some trouble with deciding on my next headphone and DAC/amp purchase.

1. My "desktop" DAC/amp is a FiiO E17. May not be the best, but it's what I could afford and it's improved my listening experience at home. Whatever I get will be driven by the E17 until play funds recover enough for a DAC/amp upgrade.
  2. I've learned that I greatly enjoy speed. The drum solo in Five Finger Death Punch's "Coming Down" sounds very different between my SR850s and Philips Uptowns and strongly favors the Uptowns. Accordingly, attack and decay are important. Base impact and extension > "amount" of base.
  3. I think I want more balance than a bass-, mid-, or treble-oriented headphone.
  4. I'd love a good soundstage.
  5. Headphone budget $400-450 ideally.
  6. I'd list music genres, but frankly they vary too broadly to be useful. Good "all around" headphones would definitely be appreciated vs one-genre-wonders.
  7. I have no bias for open or closed; it will be for home listening.

Right now, it seems the HD600 and HE-400 are the most well-spoken of in this price range. Incidentally, it sounds like both can be driven by an E17. Any other suggestions in this price range?

The HD600 you can get it from 2nd hand because it's a discontinued product, the HE-400 is more likely suit your demand, you might wanna consider the Grado SR325i also

Users who are viewing this thread

Back