++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 10, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #21,031 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi there I'm looking for a pair of full size (open or closed) sub $200 (my ideal would be around $100) headphones that are highly detailed and neutral.
I've got a pair of Hifiman RE0's and I really like their sound signature and the detail they can produce and am looking for something similar. For what it's worth I've got a Fiio E5 amp that I use with my RE0's.
I'll mainly be using these headphones at my computer at home for music, movies, and games - but portability would be nice too if traveling by bus or plane. I listen to a wide assortment of genres, but mainly rock and electronica.

Some headphones that may fit what I'm looking for are: Fostex T50-RP, AT M50, KRK KNS 8400, and Sony mdr-v6

Thanks!

Have not heard the REO's, but based on your opening sentence the KRK is your best match.

Just don't expect a great sound stage from any of these closed cans.

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #21,032 of 29,490
Need help for 200$ budget total (including amp if needed)

I don't know much about headphones but today, all i've done is searching forums and reviews to know what i need. First i was ready and convinced to buy ATH-M50 even if it don't provide what i want for my headphones (at least i think so).

I want full-sized comfortable headphones with very high quality sound (They can look very ugly). I want to try headphones with a very large sound stage and a realistic feel.

I listen to classical mostly and rock. I will watch movies too.

The headphones that caught my attention were the ATH-AD700 and SR125i

What is the best for me?

Thanks.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #21,033 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello every body

I'm gonna buy my first audiophile headphone and i seek detailed & very clear sound without tweaks ( i'm a musician & an addict to baroque, classical & other modern orchestra music) .... from my research i'm currently choosing between grado sr60i & the sennheiser hd598 or hd518 :)) ... yeah i know it is strange because they are not in the same price group ... but i red many reviews talking about the legendary sound of the sr60i for the price ...... the question is does it came any close to the hd598 ? (& i will be using Sansa clip + without an amp ) because if so i would like to save the extra money :))

Please help :)

The Grado SR series are all easily driven by the Clip+ without an amp. I use my SR225i that way all the time, and have used an SR80i with the Clip+, too. If you get the SR60i, also pick up a pair of the Grado L-cush ear pads. It will make them more similar to the SR225i sound: a little brighter, but also provide more detail and better bass extension. 

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #21,034 of 29,490
Quote:
Oh, so there's a recommendation thread? That's nice.

I'm looking for a large pair of full-sized headphones for around 100$ with a large sound stage, (preferably) very comfortable, and a balanced sound as opposed to a bassier sound. I've never bought a really good pair of headphones before; the best I've had are my Sennheiser 419s. I've been looking at either getting the Audio Technica ATH-AD700, Audio Technica ATH-T500 or the Sennheiser HD 518. Out of these choices (or whatever you guys would think is best), what would you recommend?

It might help to know what you plug your headphones into?
Any dedicated DACs or headphone amplifiers?
For your budget, see if you can find a used Senn HD558.

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #21,035 of 29,490
Quote:

I don't know much about headphones but today, all i've done is searching forums and reviews to know what i need. First i was ready and convinced to buy ATH-M50 even if it don't provide what i want for my headphones (at least i think so).

I want full-sized comfortable headphones with very high quality sound (They can look very ugly). I want to try headphones with a very large sound stage and a realistic feel.

What is the best for me?

Thanks.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

The AD700 does have a large soundstage, but it will sound too bright with rock due to its bright treble range, not to mention if you want to hear some drums slam, there will be no impact. Again with classical (depending what classical your talking about), the AD700 sounds boring and overly too bright by itself.

An upgrade over the AD700 if they have caught your interest by the look's is the AD900's, similar to the AD700 except it sounds better, slightly tiny bit laid back, large soundstage and imaging, retain the good Audio Technica treble but not bright in any way such as the AD700's, plus you get some decent bass, more impact and presence compared to the AD700 by a lot.

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #21,036 of 29,490
Quote:

What is the best for me?

Thanks.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

The two that caught your attention are open and will leak sound.   Is that OK?  If so better open cans in you price range will give you a superior sound stage to closed cans, which--as a rule--leak much less sound and provide better isolation.

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #21,037 of 29,490
Quote:
The two that caught your attention are open and will leak sound.   Is that OK?  If so better open cans in you price range will give you a superior sound stage to closed cans, which--as a rule--leak much less sound and provide better isolation.

Thank you DefQon and KG Jag for the response,

I will use the headphones at home only so i could go for any type of headphones, no problem with open cans. What im looking for is the most sound quality as possible for my price range. So i want headphones that can produce good sounds for Classical and Rock. I'm not looking for a pair with a HUGE sound stage and a poor balance and quality of the bass/mids/highs. I rather have a well balanced pair for my music types and as an extra, i would like the best soundstage details i could get.

I will definetly look at the AD900 right after i post this because they seem to be exactly what im looking for.

By the way if any audiophile have any more recommendations i will be very happy to see them. (I am really getting interested by the Grado SRi series, are they really good for me? Do they have a decent bass?)

EDIT: After looking all the time since this post I'm really interested in the AD900 (thanks to DefQon) and the SR125i or SR225i (wich is the best between the 2 of them?)

Thank you.

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #21,038 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello every body

I'm gonna buy my first audiophile headphone and i seek detailed & very clear sound without tweaks ( i'm a musician & an addict to baroque, classical & other modern orchestra music) .... from my research i'm currently choosing between grado sr60i & the sennheiser hd598 or hd518 :)) ... yeah i know it is strange because they are not in the same price group ... but i red many reviews talking about the legendary sound of the sr60i for the price ...... the question is does it came any close to the hd598 ? (& i will be using Sansa clip + without an amp ) because if so i would like to save the extra money :))

Please help :)

Answer is that they don't compare.  The SR60i is good, but doesn't compare to the HD595 let alone the HD598.  Furthermore, the Sennheisers are much better for any sort of classical or orchestral music.

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #21,039 of 29,490
I'm looking for some headphones to replace my current Plantronics gamecom 367 headset. I found this headset to be quite good except for a relative lack of bass. Also I'm mostly a pc gamer but also enjoy listening to electronic/detroit techno, jazz, classical and space ambient music so I wanted something that could give me some more punch and possibly better quality audio in both music and gaming. As I am not an audiophile and this headset is one of few headphones I've owned, I simply do not know how much better audio can get.

The models I have researched from this and other sites that I'm considering thus far are:

Superlux 668B
Superlux 681
Samson SR850
Audio-Technica ATH-M30
Creative Aurvana Live
Monoprice Premium Hi-Fi DJ Style Over-the-Ear Pro
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S
AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones
Sony MDR-V6

I am looking to spend less than 100 if possible (if its slightly over I may be able to go for it if its really worth it, but for my purposes I imagine there are a lot of options that will suit me in this price range).

Could you make a recommendation for me based on my requirements? Either on my list or something else... I would greatly appreciate your expertise!

Thank you!

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #21,040 of 29,490
Ok. I think I have ruled out everything I was originally interested in except the Shure SRH940, but don't want to spend that much. No V6, no Aviator, no Exodus.

Its Vmoda vs Vmoda. I don't want to spend the $300 for the M100 even though they sound just like what I am after. Its the M80 vs the LP2. I am not a bass head but love controlled bass. My current set is the K81 DJs and I love them, but am wanting something new to try out. Clarity of the music is first and foremost then I need a nice punchy bass that doesn't distort the rest of the music. I feel the K81 DJs do that for me very well.

I listen to DMB, Coldplay, Mumford, Avett Bros, pearl jam, 90s rock and 90s rap.

are the LPs a better fit for me? Or are they not clean and clear enough so that I should sacrifice some of that bass and go M80?

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #21,041 of 29,490
Hi everyone,

Currently I own a pair of Blox M2C earphones and a pair of Sennheiser PX-200 II headphones.
The first one I generally use outside, the latter one generally in-house.

Generally, I do the following things with it (in descending importancy):
- Listening to music from my pc (asus xonar DX soundcard) and cellphone (samsung wave without additionnal amp)
- Watching movies
- Playing games (like bf3)

I primarily listen to instrumental music, especially post-rock, but also other genres: several alternative rock genres, indie, classical, ... Basically a whole lot of genres except R&B, Hip-hop, tibetan throat singing... :)
Favourite artists are: Godspeed! You Black Emperor, 65dos, Tool, Arctic Monkeys, Arcade Fire, Pink Floyd, explosions in the sky, Ludovico Einaudi, ...

The sennheiser is a good headphone, but has a few flaws:
- Too small, it is pretty unconfortable to wear for a longer period of time
- an annoying volume control (it creaks when adjusting and does weard things when set on max volume)
- cable too short
- lack of bass, I am NOT a basshead, more a fan of neutral tones, but it's just lacking on this headphone

So I started looking for a new headphone:
- budget: around 100 euros (125 dollars)
- preferably around the ear
- I don't care for noise cancelling/isolating aspects, except for the fact they shouldn't leak too much (like Grado's)
- more of a neutral, clear headphone, one that's good in all area's but doesn't under-/overdo a certain aspect, I listen more to instrumentals than vocal music.
- comfortable enough to wear for several hours
- good for movies/tvseries (by that I mean to understand what they are saying :p)
- a long cable (at least 2 meters), detachable is a plus. I like coiled cables except for the fact they are hard to use behind a pc, so preferably a staright one.
- a decent soundstage (also for gaming)
- Sometimes I wear glasses (when not wearing conctact lenses), so one that can be used with glasses would be nice

I then found the following headphones: (via internet, I don't know any shops in my area that has more then a few decent headphones for testing)
- Grado/Alessandro headphones, they do however seem to be quite unnbalanced and leak a lot of sound.
- Sony mdr V6: seems to be a decent pair of headphones for the price, but the sound also seems to be not as good as the others.
- Shure srh440 (83 euros), I really like the sound of these (friend of mine has these), but the cable and the earpads aren't that comfortable. I could replace them both, but that costs me a few extra 10's.
- Shure srh840, as I have good experiences with the 440 and the 840 is a better sounding headphone with better earpads, they seem good. They are a bit expensive though.
- Audio Technica ATH-M50s: I have read a lot about these around here and they seem to be really good and are currently my first choice. However I have a few problems with them: I can only find them for a reasonable price (120 euros incl shipping) on amazon.com, and I live in Europe. Secondly, I sometimes read they are too much V-schaped or too bassy. Thirdly they seem to benefit from amping them, and I wonder if they will do well with my cellphone. I might be buying a headphone amp in the future, but not an expensive one (max around 50)

I still think I'm going to buy the M50s, but I was wondering if someone knew a better alternative for my music tastes?

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #21,043 of 29,490
Quote:
hi ppl im new here and hav a question.Should i get  Skullcandy MixMasters or Beat Mixr. Plz tell me why. what are the pros and cons of each etc. Im um very undecided between the two 

Neither. If you are looking for headphones with good bass, look at Ultrasones. 

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #21,045 of 29,490
to bertp1 (i dont want to Quote that whole block)

I don't know much about headphones but after looking at different threads in this forum i can tell you that you wont get any soundstage with the M50s but the sound quality is apparently amazing for the price (bass/mid/high).

If you want a good soundstage, i heard that you have to go for Open Cans type of headphones (The ones that leak alot).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way i need help please,

I'm still trying to decide what i should get between the Grados SR125i or the ATH-AD900+amp. I listen to classical mostly (Piano, Orchestra), Rock and i will watch movies with them too.

If you wanna give me other better choice of headphones, feel free. I'm looking for a Large soundstage pair. (200$ budget)

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back