++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 10, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #21,016 of 29,490
Hey Im looking for some good in ears for someone that has small ears/ear canals. Listen to RnB, alternative rock, rap, dubstep; so im looking for bass but nothing out of this world since I dont want to spend more than $80US. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #21,017 of 29,490
Hey Im looking for some good in ears for someone that has small ears/ear canals. Listen to RnB, alternative rock, rap, dubstep; so im looking for bass but nothing out of this world since I dont want to spend more than $80US. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?

Post your question here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

I would say the sony mh1 is an unbelievably nice sounding iem that will suit your taste and is only 30 bucks, but you will get more answers on the link above.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #21,018 of 29,490
Hi, need a headphones recommendations for my cousin.
Willing to spend around $200 range.
Closed.
Good amount of bass, but not over the top.
Light weight, basically something not heavy.
Usually listens to rap/hip hop.

I have dt770 pro which he likes the feel of, but he wants something different so we can switch time to time. I hope that helps.
Thanks in advance

Nov 10, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #21,019 of 29,490
Hello every body

I'm gonna buy my first audiophile headphone and i seek detailed & very clear sound without tweaks ( i'm a musician & an addict to baroque, classical & other modern orchestra music) .... from my research i'm currently choosing between grado sr60i & the sennheiser hd598 or hd518 :)) ... yeah i know it is strange because they are not in the same price group ... but i red many reviews talking about the legendary sound of the sr60i for the price ...... the question is does it came any close to the hd598 ? (& i will be using Sansa clip + without an amp ) because if so i would like to save the extra money :))

Please help :)

Nov 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #21,021 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello every body

I'm gonna buy my first audiophile headphone and i seek detailed & very clear sound without tweaks ( i'm a musician & an addict to baroque, classical & other modern orchestra music) .... from my research i'm currently choosing between grado sr60i & the sennheiser hd598 or hd518 :)) ... yeah i know it is strange because they are not in the same price group ... but i red many reviews talking about the legendary sound of the sr60i for the price ...... the question is does it came any close to the hd598 ? (& i will be using Sansa clip + without an amp ) because if so i would like to save the extra money :))

& could any body please explains what those graphs are saying ( i searched to learn but i'm in a hurry now )

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2851&graphID[]=393

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=1&graphID[]=2851&graphID[]=393

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=7&graphID[]=2851&graphID[]=393

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=4&graphID[]=2851&graphID[]=393

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=3&graphID[]=2851&graphID[]=393

Nov 10, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #21,022 of 29,490
Hello, I'm rather new to the whole audio thing but have spent the last few months happily lurking away on your forum, soaking up what I can and hopping from lusting over one product to the next  :p But I felt I should probably ask for help before potentially spending an extortionate amount of money on audio equipment!

I listen to a variety of music like classical (Bach, Mozart etc), faster orchestral like Two Steps From Hell, Hans Zimmer etc, but I also rather like my metal; whether it be the chilling voice of Amy Lee in Evanescence to the aggressive growls and thrashings of Slipknot! And just about everything in between! Maryin Manson, Breaking Ben-, Skindred, Three Days Grace, EarlyRise, AC/DC, Queen, Led Zeppelin - you get the idea :p

With this in mind I've been steering towards the following:

A pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880's (600ohm)
JDS Lab C421 - AD8620 portable amp
Rockboxed iPod

Any thoughts? From numerous reviews I've read they seem to be the best "all rounders" for their price but female vocals do not come out very well which is a shame as I rather like female vocals :frowning2:
JDS came top(ish) on the "sub $200 dollar portable amp shoot-out" and to be completely honest, that's pretty much as far as I've researched it! My main concern (probably due to lack of knowledge about what my concerns actually are!) is whether it will be able to drive the 600ohm Headphones and if so, will it kill the ipod battery?
Something else I read was that the iPod struggles to play FLAC files, is this true? Does having 64mb cache over 32 make a difference and how do I know which version has what? The Rockbox-ing I'm also a little confused about(surprise! lol); Anything after 5.5 generation works... but doesn't. It has a very nice alternative to Apple's GUI... but doesn't..?

I apologise for my need to be spoon fed :frowning2: It's not intentional, promise! :frowning2:

Thank you so much for reading and for all the help and information in this site! :D It's amazing!

-Tom

Nov 10, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #21,023 of 29,490
Quote:
Something else I read was that the iPod struggles to play FLAC files, is this true? Does having 64mb cache over 32 make a difference and how do I know which version has what? The Rockbox-ing I'm also a little confused about(surprise! lol); Anything after 5.5 generation works... but doesn't. It has a very nice alternative to Apple's GUI... but doesn't..?

Save yourself some money and get a Clip+ and rockbox it. Then get a micro SDHC card. The Clip+ sounds great and is way cheaper. 

Nov 10, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #21,024 of 29,490
Hi nice people at Head-Fi I am looking for some around the ear or over the ear headphones that sound similar to the v-moda M80 headphones. I am considering the LP 2 headphones but I have heard some bad things about their SQ. I would like them to be less than $200. Yes I know about the M100 but they are simply too expensive. I am willing to buy and amp like the FiiO E7 if needed. I will mostly be using an iPhone 4s. Thanks!

Nov 10, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #21,025 of 29,490
Hi there I'm looking for a pair of full size (open or closed) sub $200 (my ideal would be around $100) headphones that are highly detailed and neutral.
I've got a pair of Hifiman RE0's and I really like their sound signature and the detail they can produce and am looking for something similar. For what it's worth I've got a Fiio E5 amp that I use with my RE0's.
I'll mainly be using these headphones at my computer at home for music, movies, and games - but portability would be nice too if traveling by bus or plane. I listen to a wide assortment of genres, but mainly rock and electronica.

Some headphones that may fit what I'm looking for are: Fostex T50-RP, AT M50, KRK KNS 8400, and Sony mdr-v6

Thanks!

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #21,026 of 29,490
Phew! Finally the right thread for some much needed help. I'm kind of new to the whole serious headphones thing. Always stuck to Sennheiser's so far. Finally decided to go after a really nice pair of headphones as a belated 40 th present. I have no idea which to go for. So far the Aiaiai Tma 1's, Audio Technica ATHPRO500/ 700's, and the Focal Spirit One's. I'm after something I can use on the go with an Ipod (hope that's not swearing round here!
gs1000.gif
)   I'd prefer something with a detachable cable, and either on or over ear. Any suggestions would be awesome, I'm bewildered by the immense choice and fumbling around, thanks in advance.

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #21,027 of 29,490
Quote:
Oh, so there's a recommendation thread? That's nice.

I'm looking for a large pair of full-sized headphones for around 100$ with a large sound stage, (preferably) very comfortable, and a balanced sound as opposed to a bassier sound. I've never bought a really good pair of headphones before; the best I've had are my Sennheiser 419s. I've been looking at either getting the Audio Technica ATH-AD700, Audio Technica ATH-T500 or the Sennheiser HD 518. Out of these choices (or whatever you guys would think is best), what would you recommend?

I own the ATH-AD700 and the HD-518.  I suspect that the ATH-T500 would sound quite different from them, because it is closed.  I like both the sound of the ATH-AD700 and the HD-518 very much.    I have owned the HD-518 for a short time only.  I use these headphones to listen to my favorite music: classical (including opera, symphonic, baroque, chamber music), West African from Senegal and Mali (e.g., Amadou and Mariam, Boaubacar Traore, Oschestra Baobab), some jazz (e.g., Esperanza Spalding, Oscar Peterson, Duke Ellington), some Italian pop (e.g., Zucchero, Paolo Conte), some blues (e.g., Taj Mahal, Stevie Ray Vaughan).  The ATH-AD700 is very comfortable, has a great soundstage, is reasonably fast, and has a realistic tonal balance for classical music, i.e., classical music sounds close to the way I hear it in a concert hall.  The HD-518 is also very comfortable, although in a different way: a little more pressure on the ears, but a little stabler; in contrast, some users find the very light clamp of the ATH-AD700 disconcerting.  The soundstage of the HD-518 is not as wide, and the tonal balance is a little too bassy for classical music.  The HD-518 is a little more "technical," in that you can hear more details in the reproduced sounds.  This makes it a real pleasure to listen to well-recorded opera voices with the HD-518.  On the other hand cello and double bass have a touch of unnatural resonance with the HD-518.

In conclusion, I think that you cannot go wrong with either one.  If you like a more natural presentation (at least for classical music), I would recommend the ATH-AD700; if you prefer a more technical presentation, I would recommend the HD-518.  I predict that you will enjoy your music very much either way.

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #21,030 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello every body

The 60i is an excellent entry level rock/blues/classic country can.  I would not recommend it for you other listed genres.  The more expensive HD 598 is much better for them, as well as a very strong all arrounder. 

At about the same price or less than the HD 598, the Grado SR 225i is the sweet spot in Grado SR line.  However, the genres for which is best matched is the same as the 60i.  it simply does all of these even better in the Grado way.

Can't tell you anything specific on how well they play with the Sansa, except to say that both Grados as efficient enough to work with almost anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back