++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 6, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #20,956 of 29,490
Ok guys, sorry if this is long and does not use head fi terms im completely new to this (and excuse my typing please this is on a phone)
I need a portable full size around ear headphone for on the bus...
Im 15 and need something mildy stylish
The beats by dre really appeal to me but even i know that is a no go
I like dubstep and pretty much everything newish/ todays hits
I like alot of bass that the beats give but i hate the rest of it
I obviously saw better quality in those than apple ear buds. I really want something under $400 that completely blows away the beats . I mean completely
I listen on a iphone and one more q
What would i do to have to plug these into my xbox and have the sound derived to the headphones like the turtle beaches do.
Basically i need every last peice o advice i can get
I hope my budget is not to cheap but i dont have another penny more than $400
I have to buy a car soo.... Yeah
Thanks for the help before hand
Feldin

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #20,957 of 29,490
Situation:

The best set of cans I have at the moment are the Utrasone HFI-580. I love the bass but the bright treble and recessed mids are making me want to find something else.

What I Want :

So really I'm looking for something with strong (but controlled) bass, good mids and pretty smooth treble.

I listen to pretty much everything so I'm pretty much looking for a good all-rounder

Open, closed, portable doesn't matter - though preferably I would use these unamped with an ipod.

Approximately AUD$200 would be the budget.

Any suggestions would be awesome ! Thanks

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #20,958 of 29,490
I'm looking at getting some quality sounding headphones because the best thing I own now is a pair of Senn HD202's.

I've narrowed it down to:

Creative Aurvana Live!
or 
M-50

The Aurvana is only $70 which would let me get a Fiio E6 while the M-50 is $125 and I would not get the E6.  Which would you choose?

I listen to:
Alternative Rock/Metal (Red, Breaking Benjamin, Five Finger Death Punch, Staind, We Came As Romans)
Dubstep (Bassnectar, Klayplex, Cryptex, Skrillex, others)
R&B/Hiphop (Chris Brown, Drake, Ne-Yo, Usher, Jay Sean)

Thanks!

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #20,959 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok guys, sorry if this is long and does not use head fi terms im completely new to this (and excuse my typing please this is on a phone)
I need a portable full size around ear headphone for on the bus...
Im 15 and need something mildy stylish
The beats by dre really appeal to me but even i know that is a no go
I like dubstep and pretty much everything newish/ todays hits
I like alot of bass that the beats give but i hate the rest of it
I obviously saw better quality in those than apple ear buds. I really want something under $400 that completely blows away the beats . I mean completely
I listen on a iphone and one more q
What would i do to have to plug these into my xbox and have the sound derived to the headphones like the turtle beaches do.
Basically i need every last peice o advice i can get
I hope my budget is not to cheap but i dont have another penny more than $400
I have to buy a car soo.... Yeah
Thanks for the help before hand
Feldin

Have you looked at V modas line?, i would think that fit your request besides the xbox one

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #20,960 of 29,490
Quote:
last question.
How about the new V-Moda M-100??
which would you prefer?
I'm already set on getting the dt 1350 next week but saw the V-Moda

DT1350 is for more accurate listening and has very, very good noise isolation. Mids are forward and have very good bass extension. Overall sound signature is fairly neutral from what I've read.

M-100 is more for a musical experience and has OK noise isolation. Comfort is a hit-or-miss as even for me they start to bug my ears after 1-2 hours of use. Mids are slightly recessed and bass extension is pretty good. The soundstage is more deep than wide as the mids are presented about mid-stage instead of front-stage and the cymbal crashes are laid back relative to the snare drums. Details throughout the frequency spectrum are really good for a headphone in this price range.

I'm generally pretty favourable towards the M-100, but the odd presentation of instruments is a bit of a detraction for me. Compared to the M-80 though, it's definitely an improvement in my book; better treble presence and extension, more forward midrange, deeper and slightly wider soundstage, better instrument separation, and a harder-hitting bass which is great for mobile listening and thus makes it a fairly balanced headphone for that purpose.

I personally haven't heard the DT1350, but it seems that they're completely different headphones so it's up to you to decide which sound you prefer. Accurate vs musical.

Quote:
The only V-moda product I have really been able to compare with was the M80 which was a headphone I was impressed with.
I can only do the same thing you can on the M100 to compare and that is read about them. From pics and reviews they seem cheaper in construction and have a more V shaped sound than what you earlier described. But then I saw there were a bunch of good comments about the mids too so I dunno. Beats me on that one till I get to hear them myself.

I dunno where you heard that from. The wingplate fracturing issue has only happened to 1-2 people. The M-80's are no less prone for that problem as that structure is nearly identical to that of the M-100's. And actually, since the M-80's headband is much smaller than that of the M-100, I would think the problem is more common for the M-80 since the fully extended headband would add more stress to the wingplate area (probably the weakest part of the headband design).

The headband, folding hinge, and metal yokes all retain the metal, signature V-MODA build-quality.

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #20,961 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking at getting some quality sounding headphones because the best thing I own now is a pair of Senn HD202's.

I've narrowed it down to:

Creative Aurvana Live!
or 
M-50

The Aurvana is only $70 which would let me get a Fiio E6 while the M-50 is $125 and I would not get the E6.  Which would you choose?

I listen to:
Alternative Rock/Metal (Red, Breaking Benjamin, Five Finger Death Punch, Staind, We Came As Romans)
Dubstep (Bassnectar, Klayplex, Cryptex, Skrillex, others)
R&B/Hiphop (Chris Brown, Drake, Ne-Yo, Usher, Jay Sean)

Thanks!

I think I recall a few people on here saying that paying more for the M50 isn't worth it, because all you get is slightly more detail and slightly more accurate bass.

If it's build quality you're after, go the M50,
But if you are looking for comfort, go the CAL!

I own the CAL! and the E6 and I don't think it really benefits from amping. However I would buy the E6 anyway because you will be sure to use it in the future with other headphones.

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #20,962 of 29,490
OK, I'm going to be doing a lot of travelling and I heard that IEMs work well for noise isloation.  I always have to crank my earbuds up to max on the airplane and I still can't hear anything.  I've never had a pair of IEMs before, and the sheer number of options is overwhelming.  Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Price range - around $50, but I'm somewhat flexible
  2. Best isolation possible - I want to sleep on the plane if I can
  3. Good for standard rock / pop music and maybe a movie or something.
  4. Comfortable for long 15+ hour plane rides

Thanks in advance!

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #20,963 of 29,490
Looking to upgrade from Audio-Technica ath m-50 to an open pair of headphones under $300

The m-50's are my only pair of headphones above $30 so im newbie and would like some recommendations on what to buy. I listen to a variety of music, but usually stick to rock or trance type music.  I recently received a fiio e7, but will be willing to buy another amp for under about $110 (preferably a portable if I can get away with it) if I really need to upgrade. Im open to any suggestions in my price range but I was considering getting the Sennheiser HD 650 used (if I can't get them $300 used then I'll try to find the HD 600 used), the AKG K702, or the AKG Quincy Jones model (whichever of the two is considered better for my needs).

So can anyone help me decide on what to buy (even if its an open headphone not mentioned on my list) and tell me which of these headphones (Senn. HD650, HD600, AKG-K702, AKG-QuincyJones) will be fine to use with my fiio e7, and what amp would be needed if any of these arent good with the e7

I use a late 2011 MacBook Pro and IPhone4 for my music, Thanks

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #20,964 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking to upgrade from Audio-Technica ath m-50 to an open pair of headphones under $300

The m-50's are my only pair of headphones above $30 so im newbie and would like some recommendations on what to buy. I listen to a variety of music, but usually stick to rock or trance type music.  I recently received a fiio e7, but will be willing to buy another amp for under about $110 (preferably a portable if I can get away with it) if I really need to upgrade. Im open to any suggestions in my price range but I was considering getting the Sennheiser HD 650 used (if I can't get them $300 used then I'll try to find the HD 600 used), the AKG K702, or the AKG Quincy Jones model (whichever of the two is considered better for my needs).

So can anyone help me decide on what to buy (even if its an open headphone not mentioned on my list) and tell me which of these headphones (Senn. HD650, HD600, AKG-K702, AKG-QuincyJones) will be fine to use with my fiio e7, and what amp would be needed if any of these arent good with the e7

I use a late 2011 MacBook Pro and IPhone4 for my music, Thanks

For trance, neither the K 701 nor the Q 701 would fit your needs as they are lean on the bass (the K 701 more so than the Q 701 from what I've read). That plus the E7 probably isn't powerful enough for the _701's.

I think the HD598 should be all right for your preferences and powered with an E7. The HD600/650 need a little more 'oomph' I believe.

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #20,965 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all. I have a pair of Sennheiser PX 100-II which i'm happy with for day to day use.

Going to be doing some air travel in a few days (so quick recommendations would be much appreciated!) and wanted something which are comfortable for very long durations and have excellent sound naturally. Noise cancelling might be a plus, but not that fussed about it (unless people here highly recommend the feature for air travel).

Only other time they would be used is for lounging around the house/hotel, but this use will be severly limited - maybe 1 month out of the year (essentially if I go on holiday somewhere).

Unsure about budget, but I think a max of £200. That will roughly work out to about $300. Cheaper would be better obviously without sacrificing too much sound quality.

Any recommendations would be most welcome!

Quote:
Right up until I read your budget, I was going to highly reccomend the Bose Quiet Comfort 15. Bose (next to Beats and Sony) are unfortunately some of the world's most counterfieted headphones, so I'd reccomend going to into a store to buy them. Just looking on the Apple UK store unfortunately the budget is a little out of your range at 280 pounds.

If you can stretch your budget that far I do highly reccomend them. They are often criticised for not having enough bass, but I spent 2 hours wearing them on the weekend connected to a HTC One X and the bass is definitely there, it's just not prominent and boomy - some EQ in a music player can help you get there though if that's what you'd really prefer. Excellent midrange and treble, which is what I prefer on a plane as i'm usually watching tv shows or movies or listening to podcasts rather than music.

The next best thing though, and arguably much better value than the QC15's for what you get is the Audio Technica ATH-ANC9. These are available for 169 pounds on ebay UK - but that's coming from Hong Kong and it sounds like you don't have that kind of time to wait. These have several modes that block out various freuqencies of outside noise based on airplanes, office/crowd noise and a "library" mode which is a place I thought was quiet enough, but aparently not.

I have the Audio Technica ATH-ANC27 and whilst they were just OK at blocking out noise and not great on comfort, the bass was almost too heavy where i found myself changing phone sound settings as a result. I don't own a pair of ANC9's myself so i can't tell you how good they sound, but there are plenty of reviews on youtube, plus there is also this:
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/09/battlemodo-the-best-noise-cancelling-headphones/
They are just rating the ANC9's so highly because of price though - they only put the Bose in 4th place because of the cost of them.

In trying to get any of these headphones quickly, you might also consider airport and duty free stores selling headphones. Sometimes they can be a bit more pricey, but to have them straight away it might not be such a crazy idea to go to the airport a day or two before your flight and shop around a bit.

Hope that helps a bit, and good luck.

Thank you for the detailed help!

I've tried out the Bose QC15's in a store, and they are very comfy, and nosie cancelling was good, but sound quality wise, they didn't seem all that different from my Sennheiser's - or at least not sufficiently different to justify the huge price difference. I might give them another try based on your recommendation though. I would defintley be using them more for tv/movie rather than music. Little bit of bass is nice, but not overly fussed about it. I have heard though, admittedly a lot of it on these forums, that they just aren't worth the price tag and I can get a lot better for less. Is that true? Or have you found them to be worth it? I don't want to spend a huge amount to get something which is just a more comfy version of my existing ones.

Budget can extend a bit, but i'm wary of doing this given the limited use they would get. Day to day use, to-from office etc. would still be the Sennheiser's.

I'll take a look at the link. I am concerned about the comfort. Given that they will normally be used for long periods, comfort is imp.

Yea, might try the airport storse. But they normally have very limited stock. I don't mind paying for next day delivery etc. if I find something really good.

Thanks for your help though. Much appreciated!

If anyone else has recommendations as well, would be great :)

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #20,966 of 29,490
Hello, sorry for my english. I am looking to buy new home headphones. for listening all genres of music. It should be under 200 dollars. A really like audio technica a700x and beyerdynamic dt 770 maybe audio technica m50s (maybe very bass). Which is best ? or something else under 200 dollars. My previous was koss porta pro Thanks

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #20,967 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I currently have a sony v6 with fiio e17. I'm looking to purchase a new closed headphones with a budget of $300 ~ $400. Please bear with me, as I think my taste in music is quite different. I'll try my best to describe, but it won't hurt if you can just google a bit hehe. I usually listen to touhou and vocaloid (covers too) songs, which I think it would fit somewhere in the electronica area. I also listen to some jpop and kpop (Supercell, YUI, SNSD, T-ARA, etc). I've set my eyes on the AKG k550, but I wanted a detachable cable preferably. Can anyone provide me some suggestions?

much thanks!

bump

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #20,968 of 29,490
I have the same approximate taste, I am currently being very sastified with my beyer dt1350, but it doesn't have a detachable cable

should check my thread , I asked the same approximate question

Nov 7, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #20,970 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, sorry for my english. I am looking to buy new home headphones. for listening all genres of music. It should be under 200 dollars. A really like audio technica a700x and beyerdynamic dt 770 maybe audio technica m50s (maybe very bass). Which is best ? or something else under 200 dollars. My previous was koss porta pro Thanks

A very clean and great sounding headphone is the AKG K550 which I have right now. They blow away all my previous headphones (including the portapro).

Other than that, can you tell if you will be running the headphones through an amp or straight out of a device? You need to consider the impedance of the headphone before you make your final decision. 
Also, Open or closed-back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back