++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 22, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #20,461 of 29,490
Hey all,

I've been in and out of the hi-fi scene since 2007, but because of school and work I kind of put it off.
Now that I am settling down in LA I was hoping to build a setup for my place.

I've been doing a lot of digging and feel like I am ready to take the plunge. I want to run some of my thoughts by the community before the big buy.
Given that the listening environment will be in my humble abode, sound leakage is not a problem.
Also, my philosophy is to get the best I can afford now (without breaking the bank) while finding something that is future proof (for awhile. I've been here long enough to know that browsing these threads are not good for my wallet).

My primary source will be my 2009 MBP, while my CD input will be an old school Marantz player.
I am pretty set on the Schiit Bifrost with USB upgrade. Though, if there are other mentions, I will gladly take them into account.
For the amp, I am hoping to score a Schiit Lyr, or used amps such as a Burson HA160, Meier Corda. I am almost certain I will not be going full tube anytime soon, so I've decided to consider SS and Hybrid amps only.

Headphones I am considering are: Used Beyerdynamic T1, Sennheiser HD650, and AT AD2000. The only reason the T1s are mentioned is because of the whole "future proof" philosophy.
My budget is around 1500 all in, with a sliding scale for the amps and headphones depending on which ones I can get cheaper used.

I can honestly say the T1, Burson, and Meier Corda seem a bit unattainable, but maybe I will leave out the Bifrost and go with my CDs for awhile...

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Assuming I can get the Burson HA160 at the same cost as the Schiit Lyr (around 500) which would be a better bang for the buck? I don't want to get the Burson just to own one...

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #20,462 of 29,490
The Bifrost/Lyr combo is a good one and I found it to be a fine setup for the HD650. A few more have chimed in with similar sentiments in the HD650 appreciation thread. The Schiit stack is quite versatile in that demanding headphones are accommodated for should you decide to take the ortho plunge in future. I had the LCD-2 jacked into the system as well and it was a lot of fun.

The thing you need to account for with the Lyr though is the added expense of tube rolling. The amp can sound so different with the variety of tubes it can take and it can get costly. Check out the Lyr tube rolling thread but be wary of the hype machine those guys generate over specific tubes. There are still good NOS tubes you can source like some Holland made Amperex (Bugles and Orange Globes) that won't break the bank and match up really well with the HD650.

Another caution is to be conscious of how divisive the HD650 is. While it remains one of the more popular headphones on this site, there are those who just cannot stand its warm signature. Try to audition first if you can (though this applies to all headphones).

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #20,463 of 29,490
"The thing you need to account for with the Lyr though is the added expense of tube rolling. The amp can sound so different with the variety of tubes it can take and it can get costly. Check out the Lyr tube rolling thread but be wary of the hype machine those guys generate over specific tubes. There are still good NOS tubes you can source like some Holland made Amperex (Bugles and Orange Globes) that won't break the bank and match up really well with the HD650.

Another caution is to be conscious of how divisive the HD650 is. While it remains one of the more popular headphones on this site, there are those who just cannot stand its warm signature. Try to audition first if you can (though this applies to all headphone"

+1 on that,
I used the Lyr/bifrost combo on my hd650's ,& loved it...they are one of the most comfortable earphones ,you can buy..imho.
One other note ,before you start tube rolling,
Don't let anyone tell you what tubes are good,& what tubes are bad...,only you & your ears can decide that.
It is all a matter of personnel taste.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #20,464 of 29,490
Looking for a recommendation... my requirements:
Budget: $300-$400
Style: Circumaural preferred, open is fine. 
Fit: Imagine if you cut off Obama's ears and glued them to a pumpkin.
Music: Classic rock (1970+), indie rock, pop (1980+), hiphop, blues, EDM, a dash of country, plus gaming.  More female than male vocals.
Stereo: Creative X-Fi Elite (the 2006 era one with the giant external connector box).  It's a reasonable DAC but I don't actually know what it has for an amplifier.  It was good enough for my HD580, or maybe I've been missing out all this time because it sounded so much better than anything I had before.
I tend to prefer a balanced to soft sound, and the variety of music means I aim for evenly balanced treble/mid/bass.  Basically, looking for jack of all trades headphones.

As a personal quirk, my right ear, due to an infection, is down about 20db at certain frequencies.  I try to clean this up with software EQ, but basically, having to use EQ (in one ear!) is a fact of life for me.

I've had the Sennheiser HD 580, which by my understanding is just like the HD 600.  But, they have finally completely fallen apart and rather than buy another set used, I am considering something else.  I was pretty happy with them, I can listen to them for hours at a time and not get tired, and the sound, while definitely soft, seemed great to me (but then, I haven't really heard much else in the way of quality headphones).

I'd prefer not to get another Sennheiser, because of the poor build quality I experienced with the 580s (sure, they lasted 5 years, but 4 of those were held together with duct tape).  I previously had a set of lower-end Sennheisers and they fell apart too.

I've considered the DT880s, but I'm put off by the requirement for a $250+ amp, which puts the total cost up over $500 and more than I want to spend.
The Sennheiser HD600 or HD650 would probably be fine except for being Sennheisers.

I think that leaves the AKG K701 or K702, the Hifiman HE-400, and the Denon D2000.  The D2000 may be a little too bassy for me.  I think I am leaning toward the HE-400, which also has the "whiz bang" factor for planar technology.  They also seem to be the easiest to drive, which means I can keep using my X-Fi or get by with an inexpensive amp like an E11.  They are at the upper end of the price range, but may be worth it.

Any thoughts?

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #20,465 of 29,490
Looking for a recommendation... my requirements:
Budget: $300-$400
Style: Circumaural preferred, open is fine. 
Fit: Imagine if you cut off Obama's ears and glued them to a pumpkin.
Music: Classic rock (1970+), indie rock, pop (1980+), hiphop, blues, EDM, a dash of country, plus gaming.  More female than male vocals.
Stereo: Creative X-Fi Elite (the 2006 era one with the giant external connector box).  It's a reasonable DAC but I don't actually know what it has for an amplifier.  It was good enough for my HD580, or maybe I've been missing out all this time because it sounded so much better than anything I had before.
I tend to prefer a balanced to soft sound, and the variety of music means I aim for evenly balanced treble/mid/bass.  Basically, looking for jack of all trades headphones.

As a personal quirk, my right ear, due to an infection, is down about 20db at certain frequencies.  I try to clean this up with software EQ, but basically, having to use EQ (in one ear!) is a fact of life for me.

I've had the Sennheiser HD 580, which by my understanding is just like the HD 600.  But, they have finally completely fallen apart and rather than buy another set used, I am considering something else.  I was pretty happy with them, I can listen to them for hours at a time and not get tired, and the sound, while definitely soft, seemed great to me (but then, I haven't really heard much else in the way of quality headphones).

I'd prefer not to get another Sennheiser, because of the poor build quality I experienced with the 580s (sure, they lasted 5 years, but 4 of those were held together with duct tape).  I previously had a set of lower-end Sennheisers and they fell apart too.

I've considered the DT880s, but I'm put off by the requirement for a $250+ amp, which puts the total cost up over $500 and more than I want to spend.
The Sennheiser HD600 or HD650 would probably be fine except for being Sennheisers.

I think that leaves the AKG K701 or K702, the Hifiman HE-400, and the Denon D2000.  The D2000 may be a little too bassy for me.  I think I am leaning toward the HE-400, which also has the "whiz bang" factor for planar technology.  They also seem to be the easiest to drive, which means I can keep using my X-Fi or get by with an inexpensive amp like an E11.  They are at the upper end of the price range, but may be worth it.

Any thoughts?

Dt880 250 ohm does not NEED and amp. It is the most balanced can IMO in your price range and will fit your genres quite well. I suggest you try to audition everything you're interested in

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #20,466 of 29,490
GUYS need help here, its my friends bday and we are pooling our cash together to buy him a set of earphones/IEMS price range around $100-$200, he listens to dub, like alot of dubstep, what to recommend and how do you test a earphone for dubstep like what should i be listening for, as i have never heard dub before lol thanks guys :D

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #20,467 of 29,490
Quote:
GUYS need help here, its my friends bday and we are pooling our cash together to buy him a set of earphones/IEMS price range around $100-$200, he listens to dub, like alot of dubstep, what to recommend and how do you test a earphone for dubstep like what should i be listening for, as i have never heard dub before lol thanks guys :D

mids aren't necessary, just something with good highs and good bass quantity

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #20,473 of 29,490
Thanks guys,

I have a few friends urging me to get the Lyr and start tube rolling.
I know I will get into tubes one day, but that just does not fit my budge right now.

Having gone over the replies, I decided against the Schiit Lyr. I bought a used Burson HA160 last night and am quite happy with the purchase.
What do you guys recommend for a DAC? I hate to admit it, but I LOVE the way the bifrost looks. I know the price/performance is well reviewed, I was curious to know if I can save some money by using another DAC? What about the DACmagic?

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #20,474 of 29,490
Hi so im not much of audiophile but I know how to distinguish sound and all of that. I am currently looking for some over the ear headphones around $30 (I can stretch it up to $35) Ill be using them for music such as alternative some electronic not too much and gaming. I have seen the superlux 681, the htf600 and the jvc harx700 but I dont know which one would suit my needs. Anyone have recommendations on what to get? I could also probably buy used ones if its a good deal. Thanks!

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #20,475 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks guys,
I have a few friends urging me to get the Lyr and start tube rolling.
I know I will get into tubes one day, but that just does not fit my budge right now.
Having gone over the replies, I decided against the Schiit Lyr. I bought a used Burson HA160 last night and am quite happy with the purchase.
What do you guys recommend for a DAC? I hate to admit it, but I LOVE the way the bifrost looks. I know the price/performance is well reviewed, I was curious to know if I can save some money by using another DAC? What about the DACmagic?
Thanks!

dacmagic 100 is not coloured and clean sounding, haven't tried the dacmagic plus or bitfrost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back