++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 21, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #20,431 of 29,490
Quote:
Let me explain my current situation:

I am looking for a high end closed in the 700 dollar price range. I will be listening to rock and metal, so I need something aggressive. Most people recommend the HD-25, but I want something technically superior, meaning I want something hi-fi (clarity, details, good soundstage, refined). I had an M50 but I thought it was fun, but the sound quality was bad, it didn't impress me. Would it be a good idea to get the most technically superior closed headphone and just EQ it to match my style? That way I can have a fun/aggressive AND refined sound.

The headphone I had in mind was the beyer T 70p, since it has a hi-fi sound, clarity, and good soundstage. I could boost the bass up for metal and customize the sound to my preference. Would all of this be a good idea? What would be the most refined and technically superior headphone in this price range?

i haven't personally heard the t70p but if you want both bass quantity and quality with a good soundstage, you should try to audition the t90, dt880, and t70 and see what you want. i personally don't find bass necessary for metal and from my listening session with the dt770 (previous generation of t70) the bass just muddled the rest of the spectrum, but of course you should audition the aforementioned cans. the t90 is more v shaped and fun and the dt880 is slightly analytical but still very musical with tight and well textured bass. i personally have not heard the t70, but out of the dt lineup, i would say the 880 has the most "hi-fi" sound.
you can also look into getting a used t1 (about 700-850$) which really is good for every genre and has the most musicality of any flagship i've heard, the soundstage is large, but not cavernous and the imaging is without peer.

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #20,432 of 29,490
Quote:
Let me explain my current situation:

I am looking for a high end closed in the 700 dollar price range. I will be listening to rock and metal, so I need something aggressive. Most people recommend the HD-25, but I want something technically superior, meaning I want something hi-fi (clarity, details, good soundstage, refined). I had an M50 but I thought it was fun, but the sound quality was bad, it didn't impress me. Would it be a good idea to get the most technically superior closed headphone and just EQ it to match my style? That way I can have a fun/aggressive AND refined sound.

The headphone I had in mind was the beyer T 70p, since it has a hi-fi sound, clarity, and good soundstage. I could boost the bass up for metal and customize the sound to my preference. Would all of this be a good idea? What would be the most refined and technically superior headphone in this price range?

I'll would say the LCD2 (used around $700), the Grado RSi1, and last but not least is the HE-500 (you already posting on the HE500 thread
tongue.gif
).

The LCD2 got all technical superior that you need for your metal and rock, one thing about LCD2 that i find suitable with you is it's bass, it's gonna hit you hard without ruined other frequencies, it's fast so the bass wouldn't be left behind if you listened with metal music

The Grado RS1i is still ranked no.1 for rock and metal music (perhaps), the RS1i doesn't have have the bass like the LCD2 in terms of weight, but still the RS1i have a grado soundsignature that's gonna please you more with metal and rock

Note : the LCD2 and RS1i doesn't have a big soundstage but pretty good though, the soundstage doesn't gonna bother you much since metal and rock need the aggressiveness (forward sounding/in your face sounding)

The HE-500 it have pretty neutral sounding and pretty good soundstage, it also have the PRaT that you need for metal and rock, others tend to use the HE-500 for classical music but not to me, i've been throwing every genre of music to it (mostly metal and rock) and i never dissapointed with HE-500
beerchug.gif

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #20,434 of 29,490
Sorry haven't heard the Q701 so i can't compare it with my DT880 for metal and rock, the DT880 is pretty good though on handling metal and rock music
smile.gif

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #20,435 of 29,490
Maybe I should take my friends advice and go with the Q701s. I was told both the Q701 and DT880 600 Ohm are about equal and that the Q701 fixes the problems the K701 had with it's sound. I have had the chance to listen to both the Senn HD 600 and 650 and I know neither is really for me.

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #20,436 of 29,490
Quote:
Don't the Q701s fit the bill almost perfectly too? Just that they have a different presentation than the DT 880s. I guess I'll just go with what is the cheapest of the 2 when I buy them later this month.

You check the appreciation threads for each and you can probably get some more opinions on the two headphones that way.

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #20,437 of 29,490
Quote:
Maybe I should take my friends advice and go with the Q701s. I was told both the Q701 and DT880 600 Ohm are about equal and that the Q701 fixes the problems the K701 had with it's sound. I have had the chance to listen to both the Senn HD 600 and 650 and I know neither is really for me.

All the HP that you mention is well respected HP among the audiophile community, it's just matter of soundsign preference that makes people start to compare them, liked them, or even worst bash them. I'm pretty sure you'll be satisfied with your choise, it would be better though if you do an audition on a HP before you purchase it, but then again it's just my 2cent
smile.gif

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #20,438 of 29,490
Yeah, I know I will be happy with either since both seem to fit my criteria. I wish I could try them now, but I wont be able for many months. There's no stores I know of that carry either of them in my area. I will buy one here soon and sometime next year I can try the other when I see my friend again. I am really interested in trying out my friends R10s and SR-009s.

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #20,440 of 29,490
I am worried too, I'm afraid I will be hit with a really bad case of upgraditis. She says her R10 sounds better than the SR-009, but I'll just have to wait until I listen to both to see if that's true. Thankfully I can't hope to afford either, they are way out of my price range. I'll probably post my impressions after I listen to them. For now I'm looking forward to see what I experience with either the DT 880 Pro(hopefully Premium if they drop more in price) or Q701 and sharing my findings compared to my current headphones.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #20,441 of 29,490
Quote:

I'll would say the LCD2 (used around $700), the Grado RSi1, and last but not least is the HE-500 (you already posting on the HE500 thread
tongue.gif
).

The LCD2 got all technical superior that you need for your metal and rock, one thing about LCD2 that i find suitable with you is it's bass, it's gonna hit you hard without ruined other frequencies, it's fast so the bass wouldn't be left behind if you listened with metal music

The Grado RS1i is still ranked no.1 for rock and metal music (perhaps), the RS1i doesn't have have the bass like the LCD2 in terms of weight, but still the RS1i have a grado soundsignature that's gonna please you more with metal and rock

Note : the LCD2 and RS1i doesn't have a big soundstage but pretty good though, the soundstage doesn't gonna bother you much since metal and rock need the aggressiveness (forward sounding/in your face sounding)

The HE-500 it have pretty neutral sounding and pretty good soundstage, it also have the PRaT that you need for metal and rock, others tend to use the HE-500 for classical music but not to me, i've been throwing every genre of music to it (mostly metal and rock) and i never dissapointed with HE-500
beerchug.gif

lol I've posted in a bunch of threads :p 

I'm looking for a closed can though, so the LCD-2 or grado won't be adequate for me, I'm still considering those since I haven't purchased an open can yet.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #20,442 of 29,490
Quote:

i haven't personally heard the t70p but if you want both bass quantity and quality with a good soundstage, you should try to audition the t90, dt880, and t70 and see what you want. i personally don't find bass necessary for metal and from my listening session with the dt770 (previous generation of t70) the bass just muddled the rest of the spectrum, but of course you should audition the aforementioned cans. the t90 is more v shaped and fun and the dt880 is slightly analytical but still very musical with tight and well textured bass. i personally have not heard the t70, but out of the dt lineup, i would say the 880 has the most "hi-fi" sound.
you can also look into getting a used t1 (about 700-850$) which really is good for every genre and has the most musicality of any flagship i've heard, the soundstage is large, but not cavernous and the imaging is without peer.

I'm looking for a closed can to use on a plane though. I guess I should try out the T 70p to see if I like it.

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #20,444 of 29,490
hi guys! I am an IEM man
I want to go to full size world. I need someone to advise me
I currently have westone 4r and have listened to sony ex1000
I think that w4r has more bass than I want. and has less treble than I want too. vocals are great on w4r. instrument separation and imagine are great too, the sound stage is good (not too much).
about ex1000, I found the treble of ex1000 harsh for me ( I listen to rock & metal)
I'm really interested in q701. can any one compare the treble of q701 with w4r or ex1000?

do you think that k701 is a safe choice for me? if it's not, which HP will be the best choice? do you think that q701 will be an upgrade (in term of quality, not quantity) to my IEM?

thanks (and sorry for my English)

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #20,445 of 29,490
Quote:
hi guys! I am an IEM man
I want to go to full size world. I need someone to advise me
I currently have westone 4r and have listened to sony ex1000
I think that w4r has more bass than I want. and has less treble than I want too. vocals are great on w4r. instrument separation and imagine are great too, the sound stage is good (not too much).
about ex1000, I found the treble of ex1000 harsh for me ( I listen to rock & metal)
I'm really interested in q701. can any one compare the treble of q701 with w4r or ex1000?

do you think that k701 is a safe choice for me? if it's not, which HP will be the best choice? do you think that q701 will be an upgrade (in term of quality, not quantity) to my IEM?

thanks (and sorry for my English)

Technically speaking, any quality open headphone (by that I mean something that isn't like a cheapy headphone) will be better than an IEM. To me, even wearing like a 70 dollar pair of pc gaming headsets are better than most (I am not counting the redicoulus $200+ IEMs either) IEMs do to the large sound stage. 

I actually do have the q701s and I really like them, and it sounds like it would fit your needs perfectly. The treble is a tiny TINY bit higher than most headphones, and the bass is not as punchy. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106522&name=All-Headphones-Accessories

I do feel like these are better quality headphones for music. The sensitivity is a bit higher, and the impedance is a little lower which is nice. The only reason I went with the AKG headphones was because they were a bit more comfortable for me. However, I do a lot of PC gaming, so I will wear them for several hours, where you may not. So that could be a none issue for you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back