++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 20, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #20,401 of 29,490
By any chance, do any of you know a good place to buy Sony MDR-7506 for a good price? I was looking on Ebay, and saw one for $49.00, but honestly think its too cheap to be real.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Band-new-SONY-MDR-7506HD-Professional-Studio-Headphone-Free-Shipping-/121002049183?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item1c2c48be9f

It looks like a fake to me, given the fact that on the Sony website, the metal piece to the left of "Professional" is gold rather than that one being silver.

I'm not sure if there are any legit/common websites that sell them for less than Sony. I just don't want to wait a month just to find out they are fakes. Thanks.

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #20,402 of 29,490
Quote:
By any chance, do any of you know a good place to buy Sony MDR-7506 for a good price? I was looking on Ebay, and saw one for $49.00, but honestly think its too cheap to be real.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Band-new-SONY-MDR-7506HD-Professional-Studio-Headphone-Free-Shipping-/121002049183?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item1c2c48be9f

It looks like a fake to me, given the fact that on the Sony website, the metal piece to the left of "Professional" is gold rather than that one being silver.

I'm not sure if there are any legit/common websites that sell them for less than Sony. I just don't want to wait a month just to find out they are fakes. Thanks.

Yeah I wouldn't buy headphones from ebay, I just received a pair of monster's isport immersion today, and the packaging looked terrible, it was obvious they were fake like a cheap cardboard print topped with 99 cents plastic. I didn't even remove the shrink wrap and put it back in the box and shipped them back.

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #20,403 of 29,490
Ok, after a ******-tonne of research I've decided i'm going to get the Beyerdynamic DT990s but i'm still a noob so i need to know,
I'm gonna be running these from my laptop/phone through a E17, which Ohm-age should i Get?

Cheers in advance.

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #20,404 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok, after a ******-tonne of research I've decided i'm going to get the Beyerdynamic DT990s but i'm still a noob so i need to know,
I'm gonna be running these from my laptop/phone through a E17, which Ohm-age should i Get?

Cheers in advance.

the 32 ohm or the 250ohm, for 600 ohm at least you'll be needing a solid desktop amp
smile.gif

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #20,406 of 29,490
Quote:
I don't think I can yet. that aside, do you have any other suggestions? my country is in South East Asia.
so there's not so many internationals here.. 

Hi there, i'm also from S.E.A country Indonesia, in south east asia we have Jaben (http://www.jaben.com), i think you should give a try to contact them
beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #20,408 of 29,490
Looking for a suggestion from someone with a bit of experience.  I am not entirely new to nice headphones, but have recently tried to add a nice pair that I can use in a variety of situations.  I did lots of reading up on this forum and other places before I selected a few pairs for testing.  So far I have vmoda m80s, maudio q40s (with beyer pads), and senn hd25-ii's.  I like them all but have decided that for me and my listening preferences the senn hd25 has the sound i desire most.

My favorite part is probably the energetic sound especially the tight, punchy bass  (SQ > SPL).  I really enjoyed the mids and highs of the vmoda's but in the end, i valued the beautiful punchy bass of the senns.  I love bass-centric music, but enjoy sound quality across the whole spectrum.  The only complaint I have, and this is where I am seeking advice, is the comfort is not that great.  I am looking for the senn hd25 sound but in a more comfortable set of cans....I would prefer over-ear while still maintaining some semblance of portability.  I would love a bit more open soundstage also.  Budget is below 250.  I have a Fiio E11 for an amp.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #20,409 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for a suggestion from someone with a bit of experience.  I am not entirely new to nice headphones, but have recently tried to add a nice pair that I can use in a variety of situations.  I did lots of reading up on this forum and other places before I selected a few pairs for testing.  So far I have vmoda m80s, maudio q40s (with beyer pads), and senn hd25-ii's.  I like them all but have decided that for me and my listening preferences the senn hd25 has the sound i desire most.

My favorite part is probably the energetic sound especially the tight, punchy bass  (SQ > SPL).  I really enjoyed the mids and highs of the vmoda's but in the end, i valued the beautiful punchy bass of the senns.  I love bass-centric music, but enjoy sound quality across the whole spectrum.  The only complaint I have, and this is where I am seeking advice, is the comfort is not that great.  I am looking for the senn hd25 sound but in a more comfortable set of cans....I would prefer over-ear while still maintaining some semblance of portability.  I would love a bit more open soundstage also.  Budget is below 250.  I have a Fiio E11 for an amp.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I had the same problem a few months ago, deduced exactly the same as you did, and got the q40's with beyer pads. Don't regret anything!

However the urge to climb the headphone ladder is now beckoning :frowning2: I'm sorry wallet!

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #20,410 of 29,490
Quote:

are you set on getting a portable or do you want one for home use as well?

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #20,411 of 29,490

Dt770 250 ohm with e11. You wont regret it if you like the hd25s. The nice thing is the 770 responds well to that amp. No boost you get tighter and punchy. If u want more boom then crank up the eq setting on the side and no bloating just more quantity bass emphasis. They arent really the "basshead" can they are made out to be if you dont boost the bass, but they CAN be if you want which is nice.

That being said mine are the premium so the pro could differ (they clamp tighter so prolly more bass).

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #20,412 of 29,490
Quote:

Through Amazon 3rd party sellers they are just under $92.  Their average price through Amazon is just over $92.

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #20,413 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps you should post your country in your profile.

I don't think I can yet. that aside, do you have any other suggestions? my country is in South East Asia.
so there's not so many internationals here.. 

If the link an other SE Asia poster didn't solve your issue, you should let us know what is available where you live.  Other posters have done that.

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #20,414 of 29,490
I was talkin with Doc on another thread and have decided to get a good set of "at home" cans.

The HD25-1 II are just a great headphone. I don't feel they are the most comfortable thing in the world. I don't think you could be disappointed in their sound but these might not be the best fit for you.. You saw what I said about the MS400. They really extend well in the bass department and don't bloat. I was suprised. There is a roll off in the high end but I did enjoy them quite a lot, but if you really like a sharp sizzle from high hats in your metal you won't get it here. Those I found VERY comfortable to wear and they are very portable and get a great seal and isolate suprisingly well. Mids are not recessed at all and are plenty present and not overpowered by the bass. No amp really required for these.

I need an amp  to go with my laptop and good set of cans. At home I would use them for mostly flac files and for the studio. I have a band and recording equipment so something that wouldnt have too much noise leak. I dont want the mics picking them up. I listen to mostly metal and prefer a fast punch bass. no muddiness. I also like to hear my high hats, however, if I can get perfection i would like it to be slightly more on the bass side as I enjoy a lot of electronic and dubstep as well. My laptop has USB 2.0 on it as well as a spdif port for the DAC. I would prefer a somewhat mobile one as i do have a an interface for my recording I can use as an amp when recording. Since they will be at home, im sure gaming and movies may also be taken into consideration.

note: I have streched ear lobes and wear plugs. Not too big... 00 gauge. I have small ears anyway so my ear length is not abnormal. However, room is going to be an issue for comfort.

Heres what I have been thinking:
$600 or less
DAC (easily portable)
closed or semi-open cans full size (portable is a plus)

Considering:
MS400 - Considering what Doc said I may not enjoy these as much because i would really be missing out on the quality of the highs.

DT 770 pro 250ohm - A little concerned about the bass on these. I like the sounds of it and this may be my choice. how does the bass perform on these for my liking? (fast and crisp/slighty bass head)

K550 - Seems good. Some issues on quality of mids? Good isolation and foldable a plus.

Maybe's:
Grado's, HD25..

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #20,415 of 29,490
I'm in the market for a $250 open-back headphone. $250 is my absolute max on price, so please don't suggest something more expensive than that. I'm looking for a quite balanced sounding headphone that offers great clarity and plenty of detail but without excessive sibilance/brightness, basically I want smooth treble. I dislike dark sounding headphones more than those with harsh treble. I have no way to test them out before buying. I've been considering the AKG Q701, Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, and the Sennheiser HD 598. Which one is considered the best of those? And are there any others in that price range that will fit my criteria? Does the HD 598 sound anything like the HD 555? The HD 555 sounded like garbage to me, grainy and lacking detail. I have a FiiO E11 and I am eventually planning on getting a better amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back