++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 19, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #20,372 of 29,490
Looking for a pair of headphones that would suit the music of artists similar/such as swedish house mafia, I have around 250-300GBP(about 350-450$) to spend on the headphones themselves, and in a month or 2 i will have enough for an amp costing around 100-150GBP(about 150-200$) I can order from the us if necisarry however delivery cost will need to be factored in to this.

Need to be comfortable, to be worn for many hours at a time, with little discomfort sonically or on my head. Dont mind open or closed backed, whatever works best with this kind of music. Don't need to look stylish or any of that, i'm using flacs also.

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #20,373 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for a pair of headphones that would suit the music of artists similar/such as swedish house mafia, I have around 250-300GBP(about 350-450$) to spend on the headphones themselves, and in a month or 2 i will have enough for an amp costing around 100-150GBP(about 150-200$) I can order from the us if necisarry however delivery cost will need to be factored in to this.

Need to be comfortable, to be worn for many hours at a time, with little discomfort sonically or on my head. Dont mind open or closed backed, whatever works best with this kind of music. Don't need to look stylish or any of that, i'm using flacs also.

Thanks!

ultrasone pro 750 if you want more versatility or dt990 if you want v shaped frequency response.
you should try to get something in the league of a hifiman ef2a for an amp to sufficiently drive either of those.

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #20,375 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Based on multiple posts for a extended period of time, most of us that frequent this thread to offer advice are not big fans of active noise canceling cans.  The best i can do is to refer you to Tyll's Wall of Fame for this type of headphone:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-noise-canceling

Hi KG Jag

Thanks for the reply.

If I remove the need for noise cancelling. As I've never had it before, so probably don't really need it.

What are the best options for comfort, minimal sound leakage, really good isolation, strong build quality and a good overall sound ?

many thanks for your help.

Closed and without an amp limits your choices.  I'd go with the KRK KNS 8400.  It seems to meet all your requirements.  It's only weakness (within its type and price class) is that its bass is neutral at best.

If you like a mid bas hump and somewhat recessed highs, the Shure SRH 840 is a good pick

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #20,376 of 29,490
Quote:
Can anyone recommend any good open cans which don't leak much sound? I'm willing to spend up to $400. Cheers in advance.

Semi-open cans tend to leak less than open cans.  Are you interested in them as well?

The ULTRASONE HFI-2400 is the open can that I know of that leaks the least.  It needs an amps and may or may not be the sound signature you prefer.  We need to know more about those factors from you.

Oct 19, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #20,378 of 29,490
Hey guys I'm looking to get my girlfriend a pair of headphones as a gift. so here's what i need:

Option a (preferred):
  1. relatively small, portable
  2. no amp
  3. balanced
  4. listens to every genre
  5. good leakage/isolation
  6. $60-70 or below

Option B (easier but not preferred);
  1. leakage is acceptable
  2. still needs to be balanced
  3. all genres
  4. can be bigger/not necessarily portable
  5. possibility of an amp, but at low cost, as to not change total
  6. $60-70 or below, as before

So I've been looking at the V6 for option A. I know it has a bit of a v shape, but its what i could find.
For option B I was thinking perhaps Grado SR60i, but they aren't normally that cheap so...

Help guys I've kinda hit a brick wall. thanks

Oct 19, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #20,379 of 29,490
Hi,
I ordered the Philips Citiscape Uptown SHL5905 and the Sony ZX-700.
My first impressions: They both sound great to me.
Philips Uptown: Really flimsy cable
Sony ZX-700: The bass seems weak

But i don't know which one i should pick. What would you prefer?
Which one offers the "best" sound quality?

Oct 19, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #20,380 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys I'm looking to get my girlfriend a pair of headphones as a gift. so here's what i need:

Option a (preferred):
  2. no amp
  3. balanced
  6. $60-70 or below

1. leakage is acceptable
  3. all genres

So I've been looking at the V6 for option A. I know it has a bit of a v shape, but its what i could find.
For option B I was thinking perhaps Grado SR60i, but they aren't normally that cheap so...

I own the V6 and have been demoing the SR80i. The V6 sounds thin in the mids in comparison with less soundstage, whereas both have good treble detail to me. Mid-bass is stronger than the V6 and tight and controlled. But of course the Grados offer zero isolation and leak completely. While the V6 is considered to have a little bass emphasis, it's not that much. Sort of the least of those I've heard with a "v shape." The SR80i also runs extremely well off my Clip+ mp3 player--definitely better than the V6--and I think sounds about as good with my Clip+ as it does with my Xonar STX. 

If you want something with a little more bass than the V6 that has less leakage and more isolation than the Grados, while being very portable, check out the JVC HA-S500. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #20,381 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

If you have both of them, why are you even asking us here? You should trust your own ears. I'm assuming you bought both so you could pick one and return the other.

I have the Uptowns and I've demo'd the ZX700 at Staples in the past. (Or I think it was the ZX700, it looks identical). I prefer the Uptowns, but certainly the Sony's aren't bad, either.

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #20,382 of 29,490
Hi,

You should pick the one you like better. If you have them both just make a playlist of your favorite songs and see which one you enjoy most. I havent tried both. I found the phillips to be supremely comfy.

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #20,383 of 29,490
Quote:

Option a (preferred):
  2. no amp
  3. balanced
  6. $60-70 or below

1. leakage is acceptable
  3. all genres

Absent an excellent sale, I can't think of anything new that meets you #1 goals list.  You best bets are used KRK KNS6400, Sony MDR-ZX700 or Shure SRH 440.

The baby Grado leak a ton; isolates not at all, but otherwise are a good choice for most non bass heavy popular genres--given what you have to spend.  However Superlux and Samson have cans that better meet list #2 than do the Grados and generally get there for less money.

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #20,384 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

The Sony has the best (= accurate) sound quality.  They have less than neutral bass.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sony-mdr-zx700

The Uptowns are your choice if bass is the important thing for you.

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #20,385 of 29,490
@KG Jag
Thanks for your reply.
The Sony would be perfect if there wouldn't be the lack of the bass. Therefore i will stick to the Philips Uptown and live with the cable :)
I am listening a lot of melodic death metal and will use them for gaming.
Innerfidelity offers really a lot of good tests thx :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back