++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 21, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #20,446 of 29,490
I'm looking for new pair since my old ones snapped (Ah well)..

What I'm really looking for are somewhat portable, yet durable headphones in the 50-75$ range. As long as they don't snap instantly, nor are too bulky, that's fine. Comfortability is needed but isn't a high priority. I do love me some bass, and listen to music that involves a lot of it. (Dubstep, glitch hop, DnB, electro)

I'd look for one myself, but from what I've been told, the stretche's sound quality isn't exactly the best or top notch. I've heard mixed reviews from their too bassy or having non existant bass. On my phone, the music admittedly sounds a bit lacking and hollow, but on my laptop with Beats Audio (Don't hate on me it was a good deal), it seemingly be it not the placebo effect sounded great if all the bass settings were turned up. What I'm asking is, are the stretch's bass levels subpar, or overpowering? Will a person like me who listens to lots of bass heavy music mind some kind of headphones that aren't as bass heavy?

I was thinking these. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/MEElectronics+-+Armature+Series+A151+Earbud+Headphones+-+Black/Chrome/3496985.p?id=1218406268547&skuId=3496985
(Yes its best buy, I have a warranty on the broken ones from there) Although I like over ear or on ear headphones better, this seems like a good match?

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #20,447 of 29,490
Quote:
Technically speaking, any quality open headphone (by that I mean something that isn't like a cheapy headphone) will be better than an IEM. To me, even wearing like a 70 dollar pair of pc gaming headsets are better than most (I am not counting the redicoulus $200+ IEMs either) IEMs do to the large sound stage. 

I actually do have the q701s and I really like them, and it sounds like it would fit your needs perfectly. The treble is a tiny TINY bit higher than most headphones, and the bass is not as punchy. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106522&name=All-Headphones-Accessories

I do feel like these are better quality headphones for music. The sensitivity is a bit higher, and the impedance is a little lower which is nice. The only reason I went with the AKG headphones was because they were a bit more comfortable for me. However, I do a lot of PC gaming, so I will wear them for several hours, where you may not. So that could be a none issue for you. 

thanks man, I think that you like the airy and out of the head sound of full size headphone

I have not heard many on ear HP. but recently, I heard grado sr80, and westone 4r was far better than sr80 in term of quality and imagine and soundstage and instrument separation

is there anybody that have heard ex1000 or w4r. I need an analytical sounding headphone with smoother treble (not a peaky) than ex1000 (I think that ex1000 has peak near 5300Hz)
I want to buy matrix m-stage (dac-amp) as source, and I mainly listen to rock& metal songs ( Dream theater, Symphony X, Iron maiden, pink floyd, ... )

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #20,448 of 29,490
Quote:
If you can scrape together $29 and don't a little leaking, the Superlux HD 681 Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones are probably the best cans you can get for that little money.

Does the Superlux HD681 leak a lot of sound? How is it compared to the Sony MDR-MA100?

Is the Superlux HD681 better than the MEElectronic HT-21?

I heard that "An open can leaks almost as much sound to the outside world as towards your ear" Is that true?

I need a headphone to use mainly at home, so  little leaked sound doesn't matter to me. But, I think it does matters to my sibblings who live in the next room.

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #20,449 of 29,490
what are some detailed IEM or closed headphones?? Right now im currently using 1964T IEM, i also used the db-fischer audio iem and loved them as well since they were nicely neutral.
looking to spend 100-400$ max, music type ranges from all types of rock ex:post rock, rock,,indie folk, pop, dream pop, shoegaze, psychedelic etc.. only thing i dont listen too is Jazz,country and little of hip/hop. needs to be somewhat portable too

Oct 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #20,450 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for new pair since my old ones snapped (Ah well)..

What I'm really looking for are somewhat portable, yet durable headphones in the 50-75$ range. As long as they don't snap instantly, nor are too bulky, that's fine. Comfortability is needed but isn't a high priority. I do love me some bass, and listen to music that involves a lot of it. (Dubstep, glitch hop, DnB, electro)

I'd look for one myself, but from what I've been told, the stretche's sound quality isn't exactly the best or top notch. I've heard mixed reviews from their too bassy or having non existant bass. On my phone, the music admittedly sounds a bit lacking and hollow, but on my laptop with Beats Audio (Don't hate on me it was a good deal), it seemingly be it not the placebo effect sounded great if all the bass settings were turned up. What I'm asking is, are the stretch's bass levels subpar, or overpowering? Will a person like me who listens to lots of bass heavy music mind some kind of headphones that aren't as bass heavy?

I was thinking these. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/MEElectronics+-+Armature+Series+A151+Earbud+Headphones+-+Black/Chrome/3496985.p?id=1218406268547&skuId=3496985
(Yes its best buy, I have a warranty on the broken ones from there) Although I like over ear or on ear headphones better, this seems like a good match?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106583&name=All-Headphones-Accessories

These are very nice for the price. But they aren't exactly portable. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826558035&name=All-Headphones-Accessories

These are also very good and quite comfortable. I personally prefer the sennheisers because I have larger ears and they fit better, but these are much more portable. 

Oct 21, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #20,451 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
If you can scrape together $29 and don't a little leaking, the Superlux HD 681 Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones are probably the best cans you can get for that little money.

Does the Superlux HD681 leak a lot of sound? How is it compared to the Sony MDR-MA100?

Is the Superlux HD681 better than the MEElectronic HT-21?

I heard that "An open can leaks almost as much sound to the outside world as towards your ear" Is that true?

I need a headphone to use mainly at home, so  little leaked sound doesn't matter to me. But, I think it does matters to my sibblings who live in the next room.

I have not heard any of the cans/IEM's you have mentioned.  What I can tell you is that the 681 competes well cans that cost 2 and even 3 times their respective street prices.

Your statement about open cans is not true.  It overstates the amount even the worst of them leak.  Further the 681 is semi-open and leaks less than open cans.  Either way no one in the next room should be bothered.

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #20,452 of 29,490
Hey guys. I purchased the Shure 840 and I love these cans so much. The only con has been its a bit slow or doesn't give off that energy on some fast metal songs or electronic music. So I'm looking for a pair that would compliment my Shures. I don't care if its closed or open as I will use these at home and take my Shures for the go. I'm looking for something below $200 that would be perfect for faster music. I'm leaning towards the Grado S60i as they have been recommended for rock music but want to hear other opinions. 

Thanks.

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #20,453 of 29,490
Pain in the butt searching this thread.  Anyways was looking for closed headphones that aren't huge for travel with decent isolation.  Not looking for noise cancelling or IEM's.  My budget is up to $500, but anything more reasonably priced is preferred.  Liked my denon ah-a100's and grado 225's but neither works well for travel.  Thanks

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #20,454 of 29,490
Quote:
Pain in the butt searching this thread.  Anyways was looking for closed headphones that aren't huge for travel with decent isolation.  Not looking for noise cancelling or IEM's.  My budget is up to $500, but anything more reasonably priced is preferred.  Liked my denon ah-a100's and grado 225's but neither works well for travel.  Thanks

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Bowers+and+Wilkins+-+Over-the-Ear+Headphones/2250042.p?id=1218316054084&skuId=2250042

These headphones aren't well known, but the sound quality blew me away. They look nice to boot. If it weren't for the fact that they are closed headphones, I would have bought these instead of my Q701s. However, since you are looking for closed headphones, then I can't recommend these enough. 

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #20,455 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys. I purchased the Shure 840 and I love these cans so much. The only con has been its a bit slow or doesn't give off that energy on some fast metal songs or electronic music. So I'm looking for a pair that would compliment my Shures. I don't care if its closed or open as I will use these at home and take my Shures for the go. I'm looking for something below $200 that would be perfect for faster music. I'm leaning towards the Grado S60i as they have been recommended for rock music but want to hear other opinions. 

Thanks.

So first off i wouldn't call the shure's slow. Perhaps what you're looking to say is laid back...and maybe, i think its just that its rather neutral, thus not pushing the music quite as agressively. 

Anyway, yeah from what I've read Grado seems to be the track you should stay on. And perhaps play with some eq on the shure, that might get you at least some what closer to what you're looking for.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #20,456 of 29,490
Hi,

I am new to most things headphones so here goes!
I am looking for entry level headphones that are less than $100. Preferably closed.
Most likely I will be running them unamped on my iPod and my PC.Unless needed =]
I listen mostly to House, Techno, and Dubstep.(Namely, Benassi, Calvin Harris) so I prefer if the cans pack "Thumping Bass."
I heard about the ATH-M50 and am wondering if they are suitable to my musical preference. Also, are they any other alternatives 
and recommendations?

Thanks,

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #20,457 of 29,490
So first off i wouldn't call the shure's slow. Perhaps what you're looking to say is laid back...and maybe, i think its just that its rather neutral, thus not pushing the music quite as agressively. 

Anyway, yeah from what I've read Grado seems to be the track you should stay on. And perhaps play with some eq on the shure, that might get you at least some what closer to what you're looking for.

The 840 isn't that neutral though. I personally agree with the op, I found the 840 a little slow and boring as well. I wouldn't say grados are the only choice I think the most versatile headphone in sub 300$ range is the dt880 and it is capable of being aggressive while being more balanced then the 840.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #20,458 of 29,490
Hi guys I'm looking for a good set of cans that meet these requirements:
Style: closed with good noise isolation and no leak
Use: mainly for rock and electronic music and gaming, but also for movies
Amped: only if needed
Price Range: $300-350 total

I'm in a college dorm so some noise isolation is needed and I also want the best sound reproduction without overly heavy bass. A good soundstage would be useful for games. I wear glasses and have a good sized head so comfort is also definitely a factor. They will be mainly used with my laptop. One of my friends recommended the Audio-Technica ATH-A900X.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #20,459 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys I'm looking for a good set of cans that meet these requirements:
Style: closed with good noise isolation and no leak
Use: mainly for rock and electronic music and gaming, but also for movies
Amped: only if needed
Price Range: $300-350 total

I'm in a college dorm so some noise isolation is needed and I also want the best sound reproduction without overly heavy bass. A good soundstage would be useful for games. I wear glasses and have a good sized head so comfort is also definitely a factor. They will be mainly used with my laptop. One of my friends recommended the Audio-Technica ATH-A900X.

If you're looking at the A900X, check out this review by Katun comparing that to the K550: http://www.head-fi.org/t/611963/k550-vs-a900x-comparison-review

Your description completely matches the K550- very clean sounding reference headphones with great soundstage for gaming and movies. They are also quite comfortable, and fit large heads nicely. (fit issues with smaller heads)

If not, maybe check out the new UE line? UE 6000/9000 review here by Tyll. http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

Good luck!

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #20,460 of 29,490
Hi guys I'm looking for a good set of cans that meet these requirements..........ecommended the Audio-Technica ATH-A900X.

Your description completely matches the K550- very clean sounding reference headphones with great soundstage for gaming and movies. They are also quite comfortable, and fit large heads nicely. (fit issues with smaller heads)

+1 on the K550 (I'm listening to them right now) but one thing to consider is if you are a glasses wearer you could have seal problems depending on your frames. It is imperative to get a very good seal with these or the bass evaporates on you. I just tested it for you with a pair of Rayban wayferer style sunglasses and I could not get a good seal no matter how I adjusted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back