++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 10, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #19,951 of 29,490
Narrowed down to the AKG's, Brainwavz or Grado's (although I'm scared the Grado's might be too bright)

You do realize the grado is an OPEN headphone right? Also the DT231 has been replaced with the 235. It is supposed to be an exceptional set of phones for the money but they are not basshead phones if that is what you are looking for. The JVC HAS400B is $25 from Macmall. Might suit your needs for rock. Haven't heard the brainwavz or those akg's. I thought someone said they were bass defficient maybe someone on here who's tried them can tell him?

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #19,952 of 29,490
Oct 10, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #19,953 of 29,490
Quote:
hey. im new and i seek help.

i need new closed headphones.

i got akg 701 with audioengine d1. i am quite happy with that sound, only  i wished some more bass impact.

main usage is to oisten music on the go. they should gave decent passive isolation.

price range 300 eur

So far as I know, there is no such thing as a closed Q (or K) 701--with or without more bass and especially within your price range.  Nothing will have its sound stage and few if any will have its separation of musical voices.  The Shure SRH 940 will give you great clarity and an excellent sound stage (and here's the qualifier)--for a closed can.  It will not give you any/much more bass.  If your equipment will push the 701, it will push the Shure.

My two favorite pure portable cans within your budget (based on a guess extrapolated from US street prices) are the Beyer DT 1350 (bassy tilt) and Senn HD 25-1 II (more neutral).  However, neither has a sound signature close to the 701.

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #19,954 of 29,490
So far as I know, there is no such thing as a closed Q (or K) 701--with or without more bass and especially within your price range.  Nothing will have its sound stage and few if any will have its separation of musical voices.  The Shure SRH 940 will give you great clarity and an excellent sound stage (and here's the qualifier)--for an open can.  It will not give you any/much more bass.  If your equipment will push the 701, it will push the Shure.

My two favorite pure portable cans within your budget (based on a guess extrapolated from US street prices) are the Beyer DT 1350 (bassy tilt) and Senn HD 25-1 II (more neutral).  However, neither has a sound signature close to the 701.

I concur. I think the SRH940 is a portable version of the K701. You would be getting less bass with it too based on memory. The SRH940 does do a decent job at noise isolation though...

I'm still thinking of getting a K701 and Objective 2 amp (not the combo since I would like a transportable K701).

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #19,956 of 29,490
Quote:
Guten Tag.  There are some things we need to know in order to make one or more recommendations.

[size=small]Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound but tend to have much bigger/better sound stages)? Yes im ok with open ones .[/size]

[size=small]What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp? Just [/size]the standard on-board soundcard I guess ( Realtek High Definition Audio) . Dont have an amp yet , but if I need I would buy the fiio e11 kilimanjaro

[size=small]What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?[/size] mostly 320 kbps  or just youtube and skype /teamspeak ( dont know there format of these sounds)

[size=small]Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?[/size] neutral or warm

[size=small]If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?[/size] I plan on listening to mostly Rap/Hip hop , maybe some Pop or Rockn Roll and from time to time a bit Techno but definitely no jazz , or classic music .

[size=small]Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment? No , only at home.[/size]

[size=small]A headphnd amp may be necessary or at least helpful, depending on which can you select.[/size]

Thanks for your help

PS : Also thanks to the other post, The akg q701 definitely seem interesting but cost 290 € and thats at least 100 € outside of my price range

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #19,957 of 29,490
I'm considering an upgrade from Sennheiser HD595's to something slightly higher end. Currently running it through a Travagan's Red with AD743 opamp.

I'm really tempted by the Audeze LCD2 r2's, but I have some concerns, such as:

Comfort: I heard at least the r1's were fairly heavy and uncomfortable to listen for an extended period of time, has this improved significantly with the r2's? They'll be hooked up to my PC, which I'm at for hours at a time basically all day. If they get unwearably uncomfortable then this is a deal breaker, and my head is a bit on the wide end. Audiophile doesn't mean **** if your head hurts too much to enjoy it. 

Durability: Considering how much use they'll be getting and the asking price, I want these things to last me a decade. I'd love some feedback from owners about durability. My HD595s are ripped to hell and the plastic on the side cracked and needed gluing. They're ugly as sin at this point, though still functional.

Cost (obviously): Not just the cost itself, but I'm concerned that I'll need a much beefier amp to really take advantage of the LCD2's. I miiiight be willing to invest as much as $500 for an amp somewhere down the line, but they're really have to be usable with the Travagan's red when I get them without sounding like garbage.

Enjoyment: The LCD 2's are amazing at midranges from what I understand, which to me primarily registers as "vocals". Most of what I listen to is extreme metal however (ie: Nile, various BM and DM), and I'm not totally sure if they'd be ideal. Seems I'd want something that has decent soundstaging to let me hear the wall of sound that you often get with technical death metal, as well as clear highs while still being able to articulate the lows. Bass is slightly less relevant - not that I don't care, but I don't get around to listening to much of the wub wub or any bass heavy electronica.

My other consideration is HD 650's. Much more reasonably priced. I've also read that the Travagan's Red plays well with the 650. They are also not comically large + heavy, so that's at least a minor plus, though I don't care if I look like like a jackass if I'm in audio heaven. I'm also wondering if the step up from 595 to 650 will be significant or just incremental. 

Any advice from people who have potentially heard both? Or perhaps any other potential candidates? I'm not the type to nerd out on a plethora of audio equipment, I just want to get high end quality that'll last me a while.

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #19,959 of 29,490
The 780's have less recessed mids.  The come with a 1 m cable for portable use (the M50 comes with one a long cable) and an extension for when you need it.  They have a bigger sound stage.  They are smaller and better for on the go use than the M50.

Both are very efficient and should work well out of almost anything.  Your on board sound will probably be the week link in your music stream.  Standard issue MP3's are also a seek point, if that's what you have.  These things will likely limit any quality can that is at the end of the sonic daisy chain.

EQ settings with these cans will be a matter of personal preference.  Any closed can in this price range will be inferior to almost any quality open/semi-open one in the same price range.  At a minimum gaming and movies will suffer.  That is the price to limit leaking and increase isolation that a closed can tends to provide. 

Thanks Jag I'll start with the 780's as my first and entry pair of headphones! When I acquire more cash, I'll be back again to ask for a higher-grade pair :D

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #19,960 of 29,490
Quote:
grados are pretty fun and probably the opposite of the beyer dt770. other than that, the beyer dt990 should also be fun with its V shaped frequency response.

Keep in mind the 990s are not as V shaped as you may think, but I'd like a pair my self, in addition I'm not sure I'd want to use an E17 to drive the 250 ohm+ versions... I have a cMoy BB 2.03 2x9V [which has more power than the E11 or E17] and it's not quite enough for me on my dt 880s [as a matter of fact the bass is a little distorted sadly (i'm running 16bit lossless files also <3] 

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #19,961 of 29,490
I'm new to headphones and was looking for a pair with punchy bass, good highs, and good depth for around 200 or less dollars. I don't mind if the set up involves getting equipment that will exceed 200 (I'm expecting it to). I just want the headphones to be $200 or so. I was thinking of getting the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohms, but have heard somewhere that the bass was a bit loose. Are these a good pair of headphone for me? any suggestions of a more suitable pair with punchy bass and good highs with depth?

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #19,962 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm new to headphones and was looking for a pair with punchy bass, good highs, and good depth for around 200 or less dollars. I don't mind if the set up involves getting equipment that will exceed 200 (I'm expecting it to). I just want the headphones to be $200 or so. I was thinking of getting the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohms, but have heard somewhere that the bass was a bit loose. Are these a good pair of headphone for me? any suggestions of a more suitable pair with punchy bass and good highs with depth?

Dt 990 is around $160, not sure if there is a version lower than 250 ohms though....

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #19,963 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm considering an upgrade from Sennheiser HD595's to something slightly higher end. Currently running it through a Travagan's Red with AD743 opamp.

I'm really tempted by the Audeze LCD2 r2's, but I have some concerns, such as:

Comfort: I heard at least the r1's were fairly heavy and uncomfortable to listen for an extended period of time, has this improved significantly with the r2's? They'll be hooked up to my PC, which I'm at for hours at a time basically all day. If they get unwearably uncomfortable then this is a deal breaker, and my head is a bit on the wide end. Audiophile doesn't mean **** if your head hurts too much to enjoy it. 

Durability: Considering how much use they'll be getting and the asking price, I want these things to last me a decade. I'd love some feedback from owners about durability. My HD595s are ripped to hell and the plastic on the side cracked and needed gluing. They're ugly as sin at this point, though still functional.

Cost (obviously): Not just the cost itself, but I'm concerned that I'll need a much beefier amp to really take advantage of the LCD2's. I miiiight be willing to invest as much as $500 for an amp somewhere down the line, but they're really have to be usable with the Travagan's red when I get them without sounding like garbage.

Enjoyment: The LCD 2's are amazing at midranges from what I understand, which to me primarily registers as "vocals". Most of what I listen to is extreme metal however (ie: Nile, various BM and DM), and I'm not totally sure if they'd be ideal. Seems I'd want something that has decent soundstaging to let me hear the wall of sound that you often get with technical death metal, as well as clear highs while still being able to articulate the lows. Bass is slightly less relevant - not that I don't care, but I don't get around to listening to much of the wub wub or any bass heavy electronica.

My other consideration is HD 650's. Much more reasonably priced. I've also read that the Travagan's Red plays well with the 650. They are also not comically large + heavy, so that's at least a minor plus, though I don't care if I look like like a jackass if I'm in audio heaven. I'm also wondering if the step up from 595 to 650 will be significant or just incremental. 

Any advice from people who have potentially heard both? Or perhaps any other potential candidates? I'm not the type to nerd out on a plethora of audio equipment, I just want to get high end quality that'll last me a while.

What HD650 for Death Metal/Black Metal??
blink.gif

You might wanna do some research on Grado (RS1i) or perhaps Hifiman (HE500), i own the HE500 and i do listen to metal music such as Eluveitie, the HE500 have more emphasis on the treble but the LCD2 have more emphasis on the bass compare to the HE500, both are ortho so midrange are among their strength and yes they can keep up with pacey music

Excuse me for my bad english
tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #19,964 of 29,490
Keep in mind the 990s are not as V shaped as you may think, but I'd like a pair my self, in addition I'm not sure I'd want to use an E17 to drive the 250 ohm+ versions... I have a cMoy BB 2.03 2x9V [which has more power than the E11 or E17] and it's not quite enough for me on my dt 880s [as a matter of fact the bass is a little distorted sadly (i'm running 16bit lossless files also <3] 

Look into the colorfully c4 which I mentioned earlier. I read that it could power a hd800 which is 300 ohms. It might also be a good investment since you're a DAP kind of guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back