++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #19,967 of 29,490
Quote:
Look into the colorfully c4 which I mentioned earlier. I read that it could power a hd800 which is 300 ohms. It might also be a good investment since you're a DAP kind of guy.

Colorfully C4 I may do that, any one have any idea on using a JDS c421 AP8620 to pair with my Dt 880s?

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #19,968 of 29,490
Funnily enough I auditioned the t90 a couple of days ago and was fairly impressed, fun but fatiguing sound signature and the mids were a bit recessed but not to an extent that prevent you from enjoying music. Not sure how the t90 compares to the 990 though.

I haven't heard them yet but ive seen several people comment they like the 990 over the t90. Malveaux told me in a pm he was disappointed with them. But i still wanna give them a listen.

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #19,969 of 29,490
Quote:
I haven't heard them yet but ive seen several people comment they like the 990 over the t90. Malveaux told me in a pm he was disappointed with them. But i still wanna give them a listen.

I want the 990 my self based on how much I enjoy the 880 also

OMG more bass issues! [Thanks to Nujabes again]

This time it's this song

Another Reflection... there's= really NO bass at all... the cMoy boost is almost non existent... and Sadly I do not have my XB 700s to compare with... to YOUTUBE

Ok so the you tube videos sound EVEN WORSE... I'll have to w8 till I get home to figure this out, because there is still the possisibility that it's just a terrible song... until I buy all the Nujabes CDS I won't know how good my Flacs really are....

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #19,970 of 29,490
Quote:

What HD650 for Death Metal/Black Metal??
blink.gif

You might wanna do some research on Grado (RS1i) or perhaps Hifiman (HE500), i own the HE500 and i do listen to metal music such as Eluveitie, the HE500 have more emphasis on the treble but the LCD2 have more emphasis on the bass compare to the HE500, both are ortho so midrange are among their strength and yes they can keep up with pacey music

Excuse me for my bad english
tongue.gif

You didn't actually give any reasoning for why you feel the 650's are inadequate.
Grados honestly look uncomfortable to me, and I doubt i could wear them for a full day every day.
Comfort is honestly my main concern with the LCD2's, and you didn't mention that at all.

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #19,971 of 29,490
i got some awesome advice last time i posted, but i've changed direction so i'll try again and hope for the same!  my beloved senn HD500's are dead (rattling driver)...

my CFO (i.e. wife) has nixed ultra high end phones and an amp, so what i'd like to do is get the best cans i can drive PROPERLY with my fiio E17.  would prefer open, budget is a non issue provided my E17 can PROPERLY drive them!

this was posted previously, so i'll repost it and put my own thoughts in, hope it helps and gets me a good set of recs!  Thanks for everyone's time

[size=medium]Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound but tend to have much bigger/better sound stages)? Yes i prefer open ones .[/size]

[size=medium]What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp? fiio E17, as a DAC on my computer/laptop (FLAC) and with my ipod (mp3)[/size]

[size=medium]What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?[/size] mostly 320 kbps mp3, with an increasing number of FLAC

[size=medium]Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?[/size] detailed, open stage...not overly warm preferably (i.e. i prefer the sound of my AT50 vs. the Senn house sound,
minus the claustrophobic soundstage on the AT50's) and the emphasis is on detail, good bass response is a plus.  i find my AT50's quite neutral (especially
after taking the treble spike off with the E17) which i like.  the Senns are beautiful but better for acoustic/mellow sets.

[size=medium]If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?[/size] I plan on listening to mostly metal, hiphop, electronic, post rock, etc. (not much classical or jazz, only here and there)

[size=medium]Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment? No , only at home.[/size]

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #19,972 of 29,490
Quote:
Another Reflection... there's= really NO bass at all... the cMoy boost is almost non existent... and Sadly I do not have my XB 700s to compare with... to YOUTUBE

Ok so the you tube videos sound EVEN WORSE... I'll have to w8 till I get home to figure this out, because there is still the possisibility that it's just a terrible song... until I buy all the Nujabes CDS I won't know how good my Flacs really are....

Turns out this Nujabes Album is just terrible for some reason... listening to my .flacs straight off my hard drive and they ALL sound bad, the XB 700s sound even worse... So I'll have to settle for .mp3 on this album till I can find a better loseless version -.- 

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #19,973 of 29,490
Turns out this Nujabes Album is just terrible for some reason... listening to my .flacs straight off my hard drive and they ALL sound bad, the XB 700s sound even worse... So I'll have to settle for .mp3 on this album till I can find a better loseless version -.- 

I think I downloaded the same set of flac nujabes files as you...
Although I'm kind of stopped listening to him a couple of months ago, felt like I was missing the big picture listening to the same content over and over again.

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #19,974 of 29,490

I listened to a new demo model and I don't know how much improvement will take place after burn-in, but the soundstage was what impressed me. Also, it wasn't as resolving as the dt880 (actually sounded a tad warm which made the excessive treble sound a little out of place), but it really just seemed to be the fun headphone.
Hope you can audition them and share your thoughts, I haven't found a place to audition the 990s yet

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #19,975 of 29,490
Quote:
I listened to a new demo model and I don't know how much improvement will take place after burn-in, but the soundstage was what impressed me. Also, it wasn't as resolving as the dt880 (actually sounded a tad warm which made the excessive treble sound a little out of place), but it really just seemed to be the fun headphone.
Hope you can audition them and share your thoughts, I haven't found a place to audition the 990s yet

Like wise, I'm hopefully going to run [ahh thank you Nujabes that was a nice 1 second bass only moment] the Dt 990s on something that will cut the Treble dwn! I'm wanting to use them like I use my XB 700, on a DARK Amp, hopefully the E11 will be as dark as the E6 is I want that mid bass to really stand out a wee bit more, and cutting the treble [and the mids] a little bit really does that

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #19,976 of 29,490
Quote:
I think I downloaded the same set of flac nujabes files as you...
Although I'm kind of stopped listening to him a couple of months ago, felt like I was missing the big picture listening to the same content over and over again.

Yea that's a real shame BUT I found some better 320k files and some friends of mine have Flacs for me so I'm bout to get those from them and maybe find a better private music tracker to join! 

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #19,977 of 29,490
Hey its again me , I know I´m annoying ^^
So I filled out the questions , KG Jag gave to me to specify what im looking for , if you could give it a look , they are at the previous site , would be nice .
Thanks again :wink:

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #19,978 of 29,490
Quote:

You didn't actually give any reasoning for why you feel the 650's are inadequate.
Grados honestly look uncomfortable to me, and I doubt i could wear them for a full day every day.
Comfort is honestly my main concern with the LCD2's, and you didn't mention that at all.

HD650 is a laid back, dark and warm sounding headphone = opposite of what you want for metal/rock. if you're concerned with comfort, it would be good for you to know that the hd650 has quite a strong clamping force that makes it uncomfortable for some people (me included) as well as there not being a full headband (it's like 5 squares of foam).
Comfort is an issue for grados, but i've seen people covering the pads with socks and doing little mods like that to improve the comfort and sound. Also, with higher end grados, the bowl cups aren't nearly as uncomfortable as the on ear ones.
LCD2's from what i can ascertain would not be very comfortable. i've tried on the HE-500 which for me were a bit heavy but tolerable i guess. Considering the weight of the HE-500 being 500g with the cable, and the LCD-2 being 550-570g without cable, i don't think long listening sessions would be possible

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #19,979 of 29,490
Quote:
HD650 is a laid back, dark and warm sounding headphone = opposite of what you want for metal/rock. if you're concerned with comfort, it would be good for you to know that the hd650 has quite a strong clamping force that makes it uncomfortable for some people (me included) as well as there not being a full headband (it's like 5 squares of foam).
Comfort is an issue for grados, but i've seen people covering the pads with socks and doing little mods like that to improve the comfort and sound. Also, with higher end grados, the bowl cups aren't nearly as uncomfortable as the on ear ones.
LCD2's from what i can ascertain would not be very comfortable. i've tried on the HE-500 which for me were a bit heavy but tolerable i guess. Considering the weight of the HE-500 being 500g with the cable, and the LCD-2 being 550-570g without cable, i don't think long listening sessions would be possible

really to heavy... you guys need some stronger necks man lol 

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #19,980 of 29,490
really to heavy... you guys need some stronger necks man lol 

I don't think it's the neck. I've always found the LCD-2 to be quite uncomfortable on my head, and similarly with the HE-500. They literally feel like lead weights along my head (similar to the x-ray apron that you wear when getting an x-ray of your teeth at the dentist office).

^ Snuggie version 2?

The Stax SR-007 at ~365 g is still pretty heavy too IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back