++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #19,936 of 29,490
Quote:

Rob,

If you're ok with an open headphone (As in; roomate could hear you) I'd strongly consider the Senn HD598.  Will do well with nearly anything and work well without an external amp. What sound card or DAC do you have currently? Might consider upgrading that also.

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #19,938 of 29,490
Quote:
Thinking about expanding the stable with another full size pair. I'm currently alternating between:

Beyerdynamic dt770 250ohm
Sennheiser hd595
AKG K271MKii. 

Powered by one of ...

FiiO E17 /FiiO EO9k (Generally used in different zipcodes)
GoVibe v4

I'm looking <200 as budget; and something 'different' to mix things up.  Was leaning toward a pair of Grados; sr125i maybe; but figured I'd ask here if theres anything I should look at.  I'd say my Beyers are my favorite from my current stable; thousands of hours on them now.  Music choice is a little of everything; strong vocals being my recent kick. I have been staring at a pair of AKG 701s, but I already have a pair of  271's; so was thinking of a different brand..

Thanks.. :)

grados are pretty fun and probably the opposite of the beyer dt770. other than that, the beyer dt990 should also be fun with its V shaped frequency response.

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #19,939 of 29,490
Quote:
My only concern is how Bright is the Dt 990, in addition I'm debating if I'm going to get a E17 and a new DAP when I get the Dt 990 and Xb1000... just the cans is $450 ish... an E17 and a Cowon DAP brings me up another $300... time to start looking at the 100+ Amps <3,

BUT I can ofc ask you guys, my plan is to have 2 seperate DAPS Head phone combos for Dub Step and Drum n Bass, this is due to the MAJOR lack of the Xb700s in the Mid bass department... so I'm used to an enjoy Dub Step presented via Sony XB, so I want a Dub Step Pair and a Drum n Bass Pair [there ofc is some overlap in between] along with a DARK Dap for Dub Step [which is about all the zune HD is good for] and a more neutrual one for Drum n Bass

I'm thinking I can easily Pair the Dt 990 with the Hifiman for Drum n bass and slap a 32gb SD Card in there and move on with life [which I may do]

The real issue ofc is the amp! Hearing that the Dt 990 can be Overly Bright [kinda like un modded XB 700s sadly] I'm not to sure my E11 or cMoy BB will be able to hush those highs... still it would be nice to have a new Amp that has options for Bass and Trebele, as opposed to my current Dual Bass Boosting Amp set up. In addition I could use a good DAC for my Phone for the rare occasion that I desire to listen to DI Import on the go\

The issue that I sadly have is I don't like music that is not presented with the right coloration. With sound tracks I like little or no color, which I why I have the dt 880, and for Dub Step I like it VERY dark and prefer it to stay that way and lasty sadly with Drum n Bass I like a little more Brightness and Detail along with more impact than soft bass, that said sadly my XBs do not get used with my Hifiman because I don't want a Sound Track to play out of them... because that would irratate me xD

I'm open to any suggestions and atm the Money cap is $800, 2 cans 1 amp 1 DAP hoping to build Sub Heavy With Xb1000 and Mid Heavy with Dt 990 Portable Bass Setups,any thoughts <3

dt990 has recessed mids... for what you're asking, you should look into the old denon d2k, very flat and thumping bass with good mids as well as being a bit dark sounding.
as for the DAP, i would suggest to look into the colorfly pocket hi-fi C4. from the brief listen i had, it was probably the best portable system i'd heard (now the ALO pan-am although it's more "transportable"). but it's price tag is very hefty at around 600-700$ depending on storage size.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #19,940 of 29,490
Quote:

Guten Tag.  There are some things we need to know in order to make one or more recommendations.

[size=small]Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound but tend to have much bigger/better sound stages)?[/size]

[size=small]What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?[/size]

[size=small]What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?[/size]

[size=small]Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?[/size]

[size=small]If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?[/size]

[size=small]Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?[/size]

[size=small]A headphnd amp may be necessary or at least helpful, depending on which can you select.[/size]

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #19,941 of 29,490
Quote:
Thinking about expanding the stable with another full size pair. I'm currently alternating between:

Beyerdynamic dt770 250ohm
Sennheiser hd595
AKG K271MKii. 

Powered by one of ...

FiiO E17 /FiiO EO9k (Generally used in different zipcodes)
GoVibe v4

I'm looking <200 as budget; and something 'different' to mix things up.  Was leaning toward a pair of Grados; sr125i maybe; but figured I'd ask here if theres anything I should look at.  I'd say my Beyers are my favorite from my current stable; thousands of hours on them now.  Music choice is a little of everything; strong vocals being my recent kick. I have been staring at a pair of AKG 701s, but I already have a pair of  271's; so was thinking of a different brand..

Thanks.. :)

The Q701's are very different and much better than anything in the AKG K 2xx line.  It's large sound stage is just one example of why it is different and better.

If you go to the Grado family, the 125 is OK, but I'd go lower in price with the Alessandro MS-1i or higher with the SR 225i instead.

Neither of these are like your bass heavy 770 and both have better mids.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #19,942 of 29,490
The Ultrasone HiFi 780 is probably the best match for your needs.

Thanks man! I see these are a bit more expensive than the m50S, and just want to know what are the advantages of these cans as opposed to the m50S? And are EQ settings for music/gaming/movies necessary? And do these need an external sound card, portable USB soundcard, or DAC/amp? I don't know what DAC/amps do xD The headphones will be for dorm/library usage and I will be using these on the Sager np9150 laptop. Thanks again KG Jag!

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #19,943 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm calling on the knowledge of the experts here.
I'm looking for a new pair of pretty cheap great sounding portables.
Good bass is a must.
I mostly listen to rock and pop.

Candidates are:
AKG K518
Brainwavz HM3/ FA-003
Beyerdynamic DT231
Grado i-Grado OR SR60i
Denon AHD510

Or any other suggestions would be wonderful!

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #19,944 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks man! I see these are a bit more expensive than the m50S, and just want to know what are the advantages of these cans as opposed to the m50S? And are EQ settings for music/gaming/movies necessary? And do these need an external sound card, portable USB soundcard, or DAC/amp? I don't know what DAC/amps do xD The headphones will be for dorm/library usage and I will be using these on the Sager np9150 laptop. Thanks again KG Jag!

The 780's have less recessed mids.  The come with a 1 m cable for portable use (the M50 comes with one a long cable) and an extension for when you need it.  They have a bigger sound stage.  They are smaller and better for on the go use than the M50.

Both are very efficient and should work well out of almost anything.  Your on board sound will probably be the week link in your music stream.  Standard issue MP3's are also a seek point, if that's what you have.  These things will likely limit any quality can that is at the end of the sonic daisy chain.

EQ settings with these cans will be a matter of personal preference.  Any closed can in this price range will be inferior to almost any quality open/semi-open one in the same price range.  At a minimum gaming and movies will suffer.  That is the price to limit leaking and increase isolation that a closed can tends to provide. 

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #19,945 of 29,490
Quote:
Good bass is a must.

Candidates are:
AKG K518
Brainwavz HM3/ FA-003
Beyerdynamic DT231
Grado i-Grado OR SR60i
Denon AHD510

Do you mean a level of bass enhanced beyond neutral is a must, or do you mean the quality and extension of the bass as it was laid down on a quality track?

Amp or no?

Since you listed the Grados, I assume you are OK with leaking open cans.

Specific budget?

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #19,946 of 29,490
Quote:
Do you mean a level of bass enhanced beyond neutral is a must, or do you mean the quality and extension of the bass as it was laid down on a quality track?

Amp or no?

Since you listed the Grados, I assume you are OK with leaking open cans.

Specific budget?

I do like bass, I don't have a particular problem with enhanced bass, as long as it doesn't make the other frequencies muddy.

I would most likely be using these unamped.

Yeah open is fine, but I don't own any open headphones because I hear the bass isn't as punchy, but having leaking sound is no problem.

I can get all of these for less that $100AUD including shipping from a trusted Aussie seller, so max of $100AUD.

Any opinions on these or other suggestions would be awesome

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #19,947 of 29,490
Quote:
Good bass is a must.

Candidates are:
AKG K518
Brainwavz HM3/ FA-003
Beyerdynamic DT231
Grado i-Grado OR SR60i
Denon AHD510

Narrowed down to the AKG's, Brainwavz or Grado's (although I'm scared the Grado's might be too bright)

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #19,949 of 29,490
hey. im new and i seek help.

i need new closed headphones.

i got akg 701 with audioengine d1. i am quite happy with that sound, only  i wished some more bass impact.

main usage is to oisten music on the go. they should gave decent passive isolation.

price range 300 eur

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #19,950 of 29,490
Quote:
hey. im new and i seek help.

i need new closed headphones.

i got akg 701 with audioengine d1. i am quite happy with that sound, only  i wished some more bass impact.

main usage is to oisten music on the go. they should gave decent passive isolation.

price range 300 eur

at that price range i'm sure you can get a beyerdynamic dt1350 (king of the portables) and a fiio e17 to EQ bass in case it's still not enough. the beyer is very balanced and has a bit more bass impact than q701. also, it takes a couple min to get a proper seal, but once you do, the passive isolation is unmatched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back