++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 17, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #19,081 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, I need recommendation for my next headphone!

Who am I?
Final year engineering student. I am aiming for a first class in my degree, and i need music to study efficiently. So, a geek like me need a headphone as below:

What is your budget?
$150-$220

Are you OK with open cans?
No, I really don't want to disturb the person next to me in the library.. 

What equipment will be powering these cans?
Macbook & My Samsung Omnia 7 (yes, it's a windows phone!)
beyersmile.png

What format of your music and other sounds will you be putting into these cans?
I listen to anything BUT orchestra, jazz and classics. I enjoy most of the top ten songs in billboard hot 100.

Do you plan to use them outside of your home?
Yes! Everywhere i go: grocery shopping, on the way to lecture, in town

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
I have Sennheiser hd212 Pro and Beats Solo and Studio. I am quite tired of a bassy and muddy headphones. I really want a headphone which can give me good clarity, but with a recognizable bass (but not too much bass like in Beats Studio)

To be honest, my favorite one so far is B&W P%, but its too outrageously expensive. 
frown.gif

Other Specifications:
1. Over Ear & Very Comfortable (Most important!)
3. Good Design & Durable
4. No need for battery

Did my research, and so far I am inclined to Bose AE2 since it's the most comfortable one (from my research). I have not tried it though. But there are ALOT of people going against it. 
confused_face_2.gif

Please help me for my headphone search, and need to ensure that this hard earned cash of mine is well spent. Thanks! :) 
o2smile.gif

I'll say this once again on these boards, comfort is a very (very, very) individual thing.  About the best we can do here is to point to cans that most people find to be comfortable.  Your mileage may vary--sometimes greatly.  There is no substitute for putting thme on your own head and leaving them there for the length of your longer listening sessions.

Rerun #2:  not having an amp greatly limits your choices in this price range--especiallly for closed cans.

Recommendation: Shure SRH 840.

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #19,082 of 29,490
Quote:
I want to see if I can receive some advice.  I'm a complete noob when it comes to headphones and equipment, but I'm a college student that needs to listen to music to help minimize distraction.  That being said I'm looking at putting together a starter kit for myself and wanted to see what the forums thoughts were.  I'm looking at this

Headphones: Closed (so i don't disturb other people)
                    Sound isolated
                    Comfortable
                    and can work with my iPhone 4s when need be
What I had in mind was the AKG k550 / 551 (when it comes out next month) 
I would like to keep the price below 300 for the headphones or below the 551's rumored price of 349

Equipment:  Amp/DAC

I had my eye on either the HiFiMan ef2a or the Maverick Tubemagic D1. I am looking at one of these two because its a hybrid tube amp that I can try different tubes and OpAmps to get the sound I'm looking for.  I know these are desktops, which is what I'm looking for and if my iPhone isn't cutting it down the road than I'll look at a portable rig.

I would like to keep the price below 200 not including upgrade on tubes and OpAmps.  But I can purchase that stuff later. 

The music I'm going to listen to is: Blues, Classic Rock (like Beatles, McCartney, Clapton, Elvis), Rock like (Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Aerosmith), Guitar influenced music like Rodrigo y Gabriela, flamenco  some R&B, some heavy metal, rarely rap.  Pretty much all types of music.

Honestly I know a lot of people are going to say "for a little more ($100 more) you can get this and that." Which is very true but again I'm wanting to put together a starter kit that I can Upgrade here and there as time goes on. That and I'm a college student so I have a limited budget. After graduation I'll expand.  I'm pretty sure all the head-fi vets are asked for their advice often, but I really would appreciate some insight on the best route that might meet my needs and make me hungry for future upgrades, especially if you have had experience with the equipment I am looking at.  Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions in helping me out.

The EF2A is an excellent starter amp (with a built in DAC) that can push any dynamic can that I have fed it.  I have not tried the Maverick.

The AKG K 550 is a well regarded can, when (and if) you can get a good seal.

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #19,084 of 29,490
Quote:
Anyone has a good idea on what amps I should get for my Denon D5000.
Would be good if you could recommend a portable and non-portable one.
My eyes are on Objective2 amp but not quite sure if it's going to go well with D5000.

I am very pleased with pairing the D5000 and the hyrid HiFiMan EF2A.

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #19,085 of 29,490
Quote:
Going to uni. Upgrading from M50s.
Budget : $500.
Uses: At room. Music (Radiohead, jazz, NIN, classical - all in FLAC), then films and gaming.
Over-the-ears preferred.
Isolation/Cancellation is not a must, but a very good plus.

To drive them I have a Scarlett 2i2, and a Cowon X7.
I don't want a pair that absolutely needs a desktop amp to be driven. But I'm willing to get an E17, as it will better my Shure SE215's performance too.

Overall, I looked into

HIFIMAN HE 400
HIFIMAN HE - 4
(how much difference is between these two?)

Senn HD 598 (I read that bass is anemic, though they seem a bargain)
Senn HD600 (hard to drive?)

And, another irrelevant but relevant question. I could buy a couple of monitors instead of new cans, would you recommend me checking that option as well?

I am not familiar with your equipment.  Tell us what it will push beyond the M50.  The only can you have listed that is fairly easy to push is the HD 598.

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #19,086 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,

My AKG K181 DJ broke down (again) and since they're out of warranty I am looking for a new pair of headphones for everyday, around the computer, use. What I'm looking for:
-durability
-sound quality with low quality recordings (YouTube etc.)
-overall sound quality (mostly for electronica)
-DJ like mobility (so you can easily wear them around the neck, on one ear only etc.)

I really liked the K181 DJ's and similar headphones with more soundstage and a bit better mids would be the absolute perfection for the given task. They will be used with either iBasso D2+ Boa or Headstage Arrow 12 HE. 

The only real contestants I could find are: the loved-by-everybody Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and the very-new-and-unreviewed AKG K267.

I already own Westone UM3x IEM's and will soon buy AKG Q701 for gaming, movies...

Thank you!

A bit long in the tooth, but this thread may help:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/499758/the-most-forgiving-headphone-around-150

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #19,087 of 29,490
Quote:
A bit long in the tooth, but this thread may help:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/499758/the-most-forgiving-headphone-around-150

I read the thread and I must say I reallly dislike the headphones mentioned. Maybe the forgiving thing is too high on the list, I still really want them to sound good, but I don't want too analytical ones like the Q701 will be.

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #19,088 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,

My AKG K181 DJ broke down (again) and since they're out of warranty I am looking for a new pair of headphones for everyday, around the computer, use. What I'm looking for:
-durability
-sound quality with low quality recordings (YouTube etc.)
-overall sound quality (mostly for electronica)
-DJ like mobility (so you can easily wear them around the neck, on one ear only etc.)

I really liked the K181 DJ's and similar headphones with more soundstage and a bit better mids would be the absolute perfection for the given task. They will be used with either iBasso D2+ Boa or Headstage Arrow 12 HE. 

The only real contestants I could find are: the loved-by-everybody Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and the very-new-and-unreviewed AKG K267.

I already own Westone UM3x IEM's and will soon buy AKG Q701 for gaming, movies...

Thank you!

HD25's naturally. But K181Dj are better headphones I believe, at least technically. Also, consider the M-Audio Q40, which is wonderful.

As for K267, I doubt it will be anything less than great, since most headphones that AKG released lately (K540 and K550 mainly) are pretty excellent.

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #19,089 of 29,490
OK Hi

I've been searching everywhere and couldn't decided between 4 or 5 different headphones before I realized I don't really know what I'm doing so, here I am lol. You guys seemed like you really knew what you were talking about, and I don't really trust amazon reviews after a few unsatisfactory products so...

What is your budget?
I'd like something between $70 - $170 ish, I will go a little higher if needed.

I'd like to avoid open cans if possible but I've heard the soundstage is better with open cans. I'd really like to know how big the difference is? It'd be nice if you could suggest maybe an open and closed set of headphones and tell me how much I'm losing if I choose the closed vs. the open, but if you don't want to be bothered just go ahead and suggest me a closed one haha :p

... Uh.. my pc laptop. And I think I'll connect it to my TV. Does Realtek High Definition Audio mean anything? I think that's my sound card or whatever.
I have no amp/don't want one

I listen to a wide variety of music so I'd like the headphones to be well rounded, but I will definitely be gaming with them. I'm not super hardcore mlg but I do play quite a lot and would like my games to sound nice, and would like to have decent surround sound.
The music I'll be listening to ranges from electro and house to 80s rock and indie....

Yes but I won't be travelling often with them. I'll maybe take them to my friends' house occasionally, sometimes I'll go on vacation. 
How much space it takes up is not an issue with me.

Other specifications
-Comfort is a must! I need really comfortable headphones because I will be wearing these for long periods of time. 
-Durable please
-Decent bass if possible

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #19,090 of 29,490
Hello all, I would like some assistance in choosing some headphones.
My knowledge of headphones is about none, and have really only owned a couple cheap pairs.
I've been looking into the: Sennheiser 201's, Monoprice 8323's, and Audio-Technica ATH-M30's
Possibly the main reason for wanting headphones is to play Amnesia: The Dark Descent and get the full experience...dark quiet room, headphones, nobody around. 
biggrin.gif
  Basically to immerse myself into the environment.

What is your budget?
Will be my first decent headphones so <$50, I've been looking mostly in the $30-40 range.

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?
I would prefer not, but I will mainly be using these at home to it's not required.

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?
Android tablet, and home computer.  So no amp.

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?
Mostly MP3.

No idea.

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?
I listen mostly to Rock/Metal, and occasionally classical as well.  Sometimes electronica like Daft Punk.  
I will also be using these for gaming and movies, so basically an all purpose headphone.

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?
Most likely not.  But I wont object to something collapseable.

Other Specifications?
Comfortable, but that's a given.

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #19,091 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all, I would like some assistance in choosing some headphones.
My knowledge of headphones is about none, and have really only owned a couple cheap pairs.
I've been looking into the: Sennheiser 201's, Monoprice 8323's, and Audio-Technica ATH-M30's
Possibly the main reason for wanting headphones is to play Amnesia: The Dark Descent and get the full experience...dark quiet room, headphones, nobody around. 
biggrin.gif
  Basically to immerse myself into the environment.

What is your budget?
Will be my first decent headphones so <$50, I've been looking mostly in the $30-40 range.

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?
I would prefer not, but I will mainly be using these at home to it's not required.

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?
Android tablet, and home computer.  So no amp.

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?
Mostly MP3.

No idea.

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?
I listen mostly to Rock/Metal, and occasionally classical as well.  Sometimes electronica like Daft Punk.  
I will also be using these for gaming and movies, so basically an all purpose headphone.

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?
Most likely not.  But I wont object to something collapseable.

Other Specifications?
Comfortable, but that's a given.

I'd check out the Pannasonic HTF600. They are semi-open so they do leak some sound and are the best at isolating, but they give you a much bigger soundstage than the other cans you listed. They are also very bass heavy which may help with the scare factor when sudden events occur in the game. These are basshead cans though so if you don't like bass stay away.

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #19,092 of 29,490
Hi, many thanks for the Ultrasone suggestion. I will have a look and will consider the Fostes HP-P1. Don't have lossless but for iPod a great idea. for a regular amp I'd be going for a USB DAC from Fiio.

Check out the wadia 171i transport. I throw my iPod on that then run it to my stello DAC

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #19,093 of 29,490
Hello all,

Long time lurker here... Gotten some great advice in the past, so I figured you could help me again.

My Motorola S9-HD headset just died. I know the sound quality wasn't great, but I thought it was actually pretty good for a bluetooth headset. Apparently these are hard to find now, and I heard the S10 was a step in the opposite direction. What are some recommendations?

Jaybird freedoms

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #19,094 of 29,490
Quote:
OK Hi

I've been searching everywhere and couldn't decided between 4 or 5 different headphones before I realized I don't really know what I'm doing so, here I am lol. You guys seemed like you really knew what you were talking about, and I don't really trust amazon reviews after a few unsatisfactory products so...

What is your budget?
I'd like something between $70 - $170 ish, I will go a little higher if needed.

I'd like to avoid open cans if possible but I've heard the soundstage is better with open cans. I'd really like to know how big the difference is? It'd be nice if you could suggest maybe an open and closed set of headphones and tell me how much I'm losing if I choose the closed vs. the open, but if you don't want to be bothered just go ahead and suggest me a closed one haha :p

... Uh.. my pc laptop. And I think I'll connect it to my TV. Does Realtek High Definition Audio mean anything? I think that's my sound card or whatever.
I have no amp/don't want one

I listen to a wide variety of music so I'd like the headphones to be well rounded, but I will definitely be gaming with them. I'm not super hardcore mlg but I do play quite a lot and would like my games to sound nice, and would like to have decent surround sound.
The music I'll be listening to ranges from electro and house to 80s rock and indie....

Yes but I won't be travelling often with them. I'll maybe take them to my friends' house occasionally, sometimes I'll go on vacation. 
How much space it takes up is not an issue with me.

Other specifications
-Comfort is a must! I need really comfortable headphones because I will be wearing these for long periods of time. 
-Durable please
-Decent bass if possible

My first thought was to recommend the Shure SRH 840, but I'm not sure that you can push them properly.  Beyond that all the cans, both closed and open become conflicted with compromise with regard to what you want.

So I'll just list the best three cans in your price range that are efficient enough for your purposes.  They are the KRK KNS 8400 (closed), and the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 & Senn HD 518 (both open). The Senn may be too much for your TV to push and PC on board audio is always a crap shoot.  The first two may be too bass light for your taste.  If bass is your main thing, there is always the M50, if you're OK with recessed mids and a so-so sound stage.

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #19,095 of 29,490
Can anyone help me? I'm looking to upgrade my portable set of cans (MDR ZX100s) to something a nicer, but still fairly cheap ($30 max, preferably less).

Some Info:
They need to be closed, don't care if it's supra aural (as long as the clamp force isn't too tight) or cirumaural, both are good to me. No IEMs please. I listen to alternative, classical, jazz, some hiphop, and rock, with a tiny bit of electronica. Artists included Radiohead, LCD Soundsystem, Gorrilaz, Orchestras, John Coltrane.

As for sound signature, I like treble that's somewhat in between grado-in-your-face and sennheiser-laid-back. So I guess "neutral" , but ever so slighty more per se. I love my mids to be there; I hate recessed mids. Mid centric headphones would be ideal. As for bass, I like it to be there, with punch and quality, but not overwhelming. Basically, I like quality bass that has presence, but is not the star of the show.

I use 10 band EQ on my portable so if there's a headphone that is close to what I'm looking for that I can EQ a little bit to fit my preferences a little better that works too!

I was looking at the Monoprice 8323 and the AKG K81DJ, if anyone has information about how these two stack up against each other, and how they would fit my needs, that would be great! And if you have other suggestions, please state them!

EDIT: And foldable too!

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back