++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 16, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #19,051 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I'm new here and I'm looking for advice re headphones. My home audio equipment is currently nil. My husband wears a hearing aid and the latest tests confirm more hearing loss. He's played in a lot of bands and is serious about his music. I have some hearing loss as well though not enough to warrant aids. 

We don't watch tv or dvd's anymore because we can't hear the sound of voices well enough. Although we have an older crt model tv, I believe the new lcd tv's deliver even worse sound quality. Besides, we have a small living room and I don't want it junked up with multiple speakers.

Hence this enquiry about headphones. I can spend up to $2k on a receiver and 2xheadphones with perhaps one speaker in front of the tv. I know this is a low spend. Can it be done? I'm not keen on wireless and would like to run permanent wires under the floor to the seating area, this can be done.

This site recommends an inexpensive home audio player to enable fixed outlets to be used with an lcd tv.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Connecting-TV-Listening-Devices-for-People-With-Hearing-Loss&id=7022421

My husband is worried that headphones can contribute to hearing loss and accidents can happen, it happened to a friend of ours who was using headphones to listen to tv. She got confused about why they didn't appear to be working and fiddled with the tv and blasted her ears.

I'm just at the beginning of trying to identify the equipment set up we need, any comments will be very helpful and I'll try to understand the replies.

Hey, just a note here that may be of some relief. Damaging your ears is equal parts volume AND length of exposure. Listening at extremely high volumes (within pain threshold, for the most part) is only damaging if done for extended periods. So, it's important to take breaks every so often, even if it's not particuarlly loud. 

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #19,052 of 29,490
My question might be equally suited for the Amp/DAC forum, but I guess I'll just post it here.

I currently own a set of Grado SR60i's that I've had for about two years now and am in general quite happy with. Currently, I'm in the process of researching a new purchase, but I'm not sure what purchase to make. Namely, I'm trying to figure out if I'm better off getting a new pair of headphones (I'm thinking ~$200-250), or, as I do a large majority of music listening at my computer (ca. 2007 Macbook, if it makes a difference), an external DAC.

I've heard on a several occasions that, with the same pair of headphones, an external DAC can make significant improvement in sound quality, particularly with high-resolution audio files. On the other hand, it seems somewhat counter-intuitive to drop one in the signal chain ahead of entry-level headphones, and so I might be better off going with new headphones. Furthermore, when I do use my turntable or CD player, a DAC obviously wouldn't be beneficial.

Of course, down the road I'd hope to upgrade both, so I guess it's perhaps an issue of what to get first.

Thanks!
-M

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #19,053 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi again to the forums. After found this thread I spent a fair amount of reading innerfidelities reviews and watched headfi's youtube channel as well as digging deeper into reviews on this site for headphones. After some consideration I decided to have a closer look at 4 headphone types.

Sennheiser HD650

I'm about to continue reading on mobile amps. Thank you.

Take a look at ultrasone. I think the pro 2900s would be perfect for one of your pair. I enjoy them more than my hd650s and they cost less which means you can spend the extra cash on other components.  If you're thinking about a portable rig i'd suggest the Fostex HP-P1 with an iPod running apple lossless

Sep 16, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #19,054 of 29,490
Quote:

Hello!

I'm new to the world of good audio and would like some advice. A friend recently exposed me to the wonderful world of FLAC audio I've only listened to mp3's and I was stunned! I immediately [well 3 months later] got myself a COWON audio player and was pretty pleased with the sound through the earphones they gave me. I want to upgrade to a good set of circum-aural headphones or even super-aural. I wanted a closed back set of headphones. 

However where my problem lies is I am only 18 and completely dependent[size=small] [/size]on my parents for any and all purchases. To make matters worse I'm Indian, we are not known for our extravagant spending. I could max out at $200 I was thinking the Sennheiser HD 449. Could you suggest some other good headphones in that price range? 

I listen maily to rock and a little bit of light metal (Metallica). I mainly listen to Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc.  For theses genres what would be the best

Thanks in advance! If I have made any grammatical errors I apologize, English is my first language but the quality of English education in India is not great. 

Cheers,
Arjun Krishnan

I'm not sure what your Cowon will push unamped, but good cans within your budget (based on U.S. street prices) that will likely need little, if any, amping are the closed Shure SRH 840 and KRK KNS 8400.  If you are OK with open cans (they leak sound), consider the Audio Technica ATH-AD700, Senn HD 558, Grado SR 225i and Alessandro MS1i.

Sep 16, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #19,055 of 29,490
Quote:
My question might be equally suited for the Amp/DAC forum, but I guess I'll just post it here.

I currently own a set of Grado SR60i's that I've had for about two years now and am in general quite happy with. Currently, I'm in the process of researching a new purchase, but I'm not sure what purchase to make. Namely, I'm trying to figure out if I'm better off getting a new pair of headphones (I'm thinking ~$200-250), or, as I do a large majority of music listening at my computer (ca. 2007 Macbook, if it makes a difference), an external DAC.

I've heard on a several occasions that, with the same pair of headphones, an external DAC can make significant improvement in sound quality, particularly with high-resolution audio files. On the other hand, it seems somewhat counter-intuitive to drop one in the signal chain ahead of entry-level headphones, and so I might be better off going with new headphones. Furthermore, when I do use my turntable or CD player, a DAC obviously wouldn't be beneficial.

Of course, down the road I'd hope to upgrade both, so I guess it's perhaps an issue of what to get first.

Thanks!
-M

I'd lean toward new cans.  For you maybe the SR 225i.  After that, you should probably think about a good amp/DAC combo.

Sep 16, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #19,056 of 29,490
I have the Shure SRH440 for a while. I recently bought a Fiio E7 and use the bass boost and I like the sound because it's still clear, but with enough bass when I want. Would I like the SRH940 even more? I see that they are $234 on Amazon and I think that's a good deal.
I already have two bassy headphones, so I don't want another right now. Also like the versatility of adding more bass with the E7, so a purely analytical headphone doesn't bother me.

I get bored at work and buy stuff...to use at work.

Sep 16, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #19,057 of 29,490
Quote:
I have the Shure SRH440 for a while. I recently bought a Fiio E7 and use the bass boost and I like the sound because it's still clear, but with enough bass when I want. Would I like the SRH940 even more? I see that they are $234 on Amazon and I think that's a good deal.
I already have two bassy headphones, so I don't want another right now. Also like the versatility of adding more bass with the E7, so a purely analytical headphone doesn't bother me.
I get bored at work and buy stuff...to use at work.

The 940 is not a bassy headphone.  It has no more than neutral bass.  If you're OK with that, it is a great sounding can--very fast and very accurate.

Sep 16, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #19,058 of 29,490
The 940 is not a bassy headphone.  It has no more than neutral bass.  If you're OK with that, it is a great sounding can--very fast and very accurate.

If it has equal the amount of bass as the SRH440, I consider that adequate enough.

Sep 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #19,061 of 29,490
Quote:
please help me! I'm returning my M50s this week and I wanted a replacement!

Refresh our memories:

What is your budget?

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Other requirements?

Sep 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #19,062 of 29,490

I would highly recommend the Shure SRH-840. It's a relatively balanced can, perhaps a bit of mid emphasis. Solid build. I love mine.

Now, if you really want to save some money look into the monoprice 8323. They're a little on the warm side of things. But not too terribly. And for $30 they really are some of the best value in headphones.

Any questions feel free to ask. I hope that helps. 

Thanks a lot! I checked out Shure SRH-840 and at $143 its exactly the price range i was looking for. However Amazon only ships this product to the US India is listed as a "sensitive country"  In the Indian websites and stores it cost $240 and that's way to expensive for me. How is the Denon AH-D1100? or the Shure SRH750DJ?

Thanks
Cheers,
Arjun Krishnan 

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #19,063 of 29,490
Quote:
Refresh our memories:

What is your budget?

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Other requirements?

hi,

I have the ATHM50s right now, but it's really uncomfortable to me.  Although the sound is pretty good, it's also a little too bass heavy for my taste.  I listen to a lot of acoustic/jazz/soft rock/instrumental/classical and the occasional hip-hop/rap/hard rock (but no metal).  Most of my music is FLAC so I'd love a pair of headphones with great detail, that are fairly neutral (maybe a little emphasis on the mids).  I would prefer a set of closed headphones since I will primarily be using them for work and commuting and I don't want to disturb other people around.  My budget is $200-250 for the headphones, and I'm not opposed to buying an amp.

You recommended:
-KRK KNS 8400
-Shure SRH 840
-Beyer DT 770
-Ultrasone Pro 750

I went to a local Guitar Center but they didn't have any demo phones.  However, I was able to find a local hi-fi store and was able to try (they didn't have the ones you recommended):
-AKG 240
-Another AKG I can't remember
-Beyerdynamic DT 660
-Sennheiser 558

Comfort-wise, I like the DT660 the best, it fit my ears and the pads were soft.  I felt that the sound was muted though.  I liked the sound out of the 240 the best, but that's a semi-open headset and I don't like that it has barely any isolation and the it wasn't that comfortable.  Finally, didn't really like the Sennheiser.

any more recommendations?  I can't find any more stores that might have headphones (I'll try Best Buy again)

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #19,064 of 29,490
Hello all,

Long time lurker here... Gotten some great advice in the past, so I figured you could help me again.

My Motorola S9-HD headset just died. I know the sound quality wasn't great, but I thought it was actually pretty good for a bluetooth headset. Apparently these are hard to find now, and I heard the S10 was a step in the opposite direction. What are some recommendations?

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #19,065 of 29,490
Hello all,

Long time lurker here... Gotten some great advice in the past, so I figured you could help me again.

My Motorola S9-HD headset just died. I know the sound quality wasn't great, but I thought it was actually pretty good for a bluetooth headset. Apparently these are hard to find now, and I heard the S10 was a step in the opposite direction. What are some recommendations?

Well sir you haven't been lurking long enough if you didn't notice this is the full-sized headphones area of the forums.

Try your question in the portable/iem section and someone might hit you back.

Good luck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back