++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 14, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #17,956 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey, this is my first post and I'm totally a newbie, so hi there :) 

I currently own a Sennheiser cx300 ii precision IEM, which work well for me. I like the overall sound and the isolation, and am pleased with it. I mostly listen to electronic music (the wide genre that it is, recently switched to stuff a little more heavy on bass), IDM, some indie, experimental stuff and so on (the artists that Boiler Room books mainly, to give you a general idea). I have a 6th gen ipod and iphone4s, as well as my laptop and my desktop, so I listen on the go and while I'm working as well. And, I need isolation, that is a given. After almost a year of reading Head-Fi, I finally decided on buying headphones, and I will do so in the next couple of days. 

Due to the recommendation and overall praise for the Audio Technica ATH-M50's, both in sound quality and physical aspects (comfort, isolation, little leaking etc.) I'm very inclined to buy them; but for one last reassurement (I am a VERY indecisive person), I thought I'd ask if there are any other headphones that would be way better than the M50's, in the same price range (100-140USD). I've read most of the threads regarding the M50's, some comparison threads and considered other alternatives from AKG to Shure to Sennheiser to Beyerdynamic and so on, but I always come back to the M50's because everyone says it's a good beginner gear and the experience is fulfilling; that the bass is felt sufficiently an enjoyably after burning in and the only problem might be the recessed mids.

So, that's that, would be lovely if you guys could help me make a final decision :)

Also, if you say M50's, coiled wire should be my choice for portability, right?

Well for the genre of electronica, and especially if you're looking to move into some heavy bass stuff, id recommend Sony's xb line. They're easy to drive. However you may run into issues with portability. They're massive. But incredible comfortable. Leakage has proven to be a bit of an issue with them. I'm not sure just how well it will fit your situation. But i think the slap you in the face bass heavy sound signature would work superbly for that style of music.

I also recommend the Shure srh 840. An incredibly balanced can. I was surprised the lack of coloration. Probably just a little bigger than the m50. Still relatively easy to drive. Leakage and isolation is superb. The balance allows for better cross genre listening. EQ will become your best friend if you need the sound changed.

And about the cable. Coiled for portability, I'm not to sure. Coil cables are great if you have to move away from your source. But they are quite large and they can get caught on stuff fairly easily. But i guess for that matter so does every headphone cable. I run mine down my shirt. But i still manage to strangle myself half the time.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #17,957 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks, but I'd really prefer a detachable cable if the cable is long.

On another note, I've read about some other headphones within my budget that seem to have good reviews and feedback and would like some opinions about them.

KRK KNS 8400  - People say they are detailed, but how are they compared to the 840?
 Shure SRH 84 0 - Seems tha t many find it heavy on the head...
Koss DJ100/DJ200 - I'm not sure if there is a sound quality difference between the two. Also how is the sound signature overall?

I've also read about how switching earpads seems to make a difference in the sound signature and comfort of a headphone. I'm willing to do this if the difference is worth the price, so feel free to drop some advice about this too!

Thank you!

I can speak for the Shure here. Yes, it's heavy. People just love to bring that one up over and over and over again. But do remeber, they're built like a tank. That build quality costs a little extra weight. They're a fantastic can. Beautifully balanced, neutral, and uncolored. The cable is detachable.

The koss DJ pro 100. Im not too familiar with the sound signature. However i do know you pretty much have to have an amp to use with them. So if you're looking at those. Factor that into your decision.

As for certain pads being better, im no expert there. However many who have the 440 recommend upgrading to 840 pads. I say upgrade to the 840 
tongue_smile.gif

hope that helps any more questions just pm me.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #17,958 of 29,490
Never really looked into Sony products, will give them a look. Actually that 'slap you in the face' bass sound might be too much for me :)
As for Shure srh 840, that was the model that i compared the M50's to, but if i'm not mistaken the price is like 50$ more, and I'm just not sure I will be able to tell the difference. I'll read your review, thank you :) 
I asked about the cable because in the reviews most of the people said that the straight one is way too long and you have to bundle it up and shorten it somehow, so the coiled one seemed like a better choice.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #17,959 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everybody!
I'm looking for a good sounding pair of headphones that come with a detachable cable (I've had three pairs of headphones in the past year and the problem always comes from the cable). I'd be using them mostly in public transportation and whenever I walk down the streets so it's safe to say that I'll be using them quite a bit. My budget is between 100€ and 150€.

Any suggestions?

Sound preferences?
Music preferences?
On ear/over ear?

Some of the most popular:
Audio Technica ath-m50- V shaped sound(more bass and highs reccessed mids) famous as all get out around here
Shure SRH-840- My favorite. Built like a tank detachable cable. Neutral, balanced uncolored sound.
Monoprice 8323-save yourself a pretty penny. these are warm, slightly bass heavy detachable cable (comes with 2).
V-moda M80-great rep solid built relatively balanced signature

Hope that helps post your preferences and i can help to give you a more taylored suggestion.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #17,960 of 29,490
I have been digging through threads on here for 3 hours now...whew!  What a lot of info!  I have narrowed my search down a bit.  I am looking at the Audio Technica ATH-A700 and ATHM50S, the shure SRH440, the CAL!, and the JVC HARX900.  My only local options are at best buy, so I've heard the typical skull candy and beats stuff.  I'm looking for a better soundstage with good isolation.  I'm a gamer by night, and cubicle jockey by day.  I have to have very little leakage so as to not piss off my co-workers...and be able to drown out the loud annoying person who sits near me at the same time.  From the soundstage viewpoint, I can probably eliminate the AHTM50S.  I would like to have a circumaural headset.   I like very deep bass and listen to everything from rap to country.  I think I can EQ out the bass on the games.  So what would you recommend?  Dare I just grab a cheapo JVC HARX700 for the office and a Samson SR850 for gaming at home to stay under my ~$100 budget? Would one of those other models be able to be my jack of all trades and save me a few bucks?

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #17,961 of 29,490
I have been digging through threads on here for 3 hours now...whew!  What a lot of info!  I have narrowed my search down a bit.  I am looking at the Audio Technica ATH-A700 and ATHM50S, the shure SRH440, the CAL!, and the JVC HARX900.  My only local options are at best buy, so I've heard the typical skull candy and beats stuff.  I'm looking for a better soundstage with good isolation.  I'm a gamer by night, and cubicle jockey by day.  I have to have very little leakage so as to not piss off my co-workers...and be able to drown out the loud annoying person who sits near me at the same time.  From the soundstage viewpoint, I can probably eliminate the AHTM50S.  I would like to have a circumaural headset.   I like very deep bass and listen to everything from rap to country.  I think I can EQ out the bass on the games.  So what would you recommend?  Dare I just grab a cheapo JVC HARX700 for the office and a Samson SR850 for gaming at home to stay under my ~$100 budget? Would one of those other models be able to be my jack of all trades and save me a few bucks?

I think the Philips cityscape lineup of headphones is just what you are looking for. Look into the uptowns. From what I've read..great extended bass, technology preventing noise leak, decent soundstage. I think you may be able to test them out at a bestbuy actually...not sure.

The a700's strong suit is the comfort. It does not have the bass you are looking for though.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/612677/review-philips-citiscape-uptown-vs-hm5-ath-ad2000

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #17,962 of 29,490
I think the Philips cityscape lineup of headphones is just what you are looking for. Look into the uptowns. From what I've read..great extended bass, technology preventing noise leak, decent soundstage. I think you may be able to test them out at a bestbuy actually...not sure.
The a700's strong suit is the comfort. It does not have the bass you are looking for though.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/612677/review-philips-citiscape-uptown-vs-hm5-ath-ad2000

I did try the citiscape downtown. It might not be a fair comparison. The beats pro sounded pretty good, but they were the only ones hooked up to a decent source. The citiscape was pretty flat across though. I couldn't really tell what they were capable of. I love sparkling highs, warm midrange, and to hear bass all the way down as it was originally produced. I will have to go back and see if I can plug them in to something else.

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #17,963 of 29,490
I did try the citiscape downtown. It might not be a fair comparison. The beats pro sounded pretty good, but they were the only ones hooked up to a decent source. The citiscape was pretty flat across though. I couldn't really tell what they were capable of. I love sparkling highs, warm midrange, and to hear bass all the way down as it was originally produced. I will have to go back and see if I can plug them in to something else.

Looks like we are searching for somewhat of the same thing. I'm looking for a circumaural headphone with priority being comfort and isolation. I will definately see if the Philips line suits me sound wise. Please do bring your own source to the store and ask for a test. :p

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #17,964 of 29,490
So I just broke my DT-770 pros worse than they were broken before in my attempt to fix them. It's been a few years since I've kept up with the headphone market. What are the best headphones for detailed bass around $200 or less? Open or closed, I like the pros of each and the cons don't matter so much. I'll primarily be powering these with a Total BitHead, but I'd like it to be loud enough to hear when plugged into my phone. Sound signature is mostly unimportant because I equalize a lot, but a good sound stage and comfort are important factors.

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #17,967 of 29,490
I know the IEM market has greatly increased and there are much better deals now than there were over 5 years ago, and I'm curious as to whether the full sized headphone market is similar. If nothing comes to light, I'll definitely buy another set of DT-770's.

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #17,968 of 29,490
Quote:
I know the IEM market has greatly increased and there are much better deals now than there were over 5 years ago, and I'm curious as to whether the full sized headphone market is similar. If nothing comes to light, I'll definitely buy another set of DT-770's.

Got a pair for sale in the classifieds 
wink.gif

When I bought them the Denon D2000's weren't available in my price range but they might be now so they would be worth looking into. 

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #17,969 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all you MusicHeads, I'm new to this "HQ" listening experiences! And I'm LOVIN' it!

Anyways, I decided to start with an HD650 to put my ear, more than anything, to the "test".

I got an ODAC, Ef5 amp, and HD650s and I loved the sounds! I was rediscovering music again! Beautiful!...so I returned the 650s lol

I decided to upgrade.

Now I want to get something in the 1000s range...what would be the best choice, considering my DAC and Amp?

I listen to all kinds of music, from rock to heavy electronica (house) to classic to folk ... so that's tricky!

Would appreciate anyone helping this confused noob... :)

PS: I'm feeling the HD800s...from what I've read, they seem great for my taste.
What worries (and attracts me!) me actually about the 800s is the huge soundstage people talk about (I never tested them)...is it too separated that its hard to listen to the song as a whole? Is it distracting to enjoyment of music have each "sound" come from a different position in (imaginary) space?

Also I don't know if the HD800s go well with EF-5/ODAC.

Glad that you are enjoying your time that you spend on these boards.  For headphones and equipment in that range, you need to post in the Summit-Fi section of the forum.

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #17,970 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks, I just finished some reading around the forum as well and wanted your opinions on the headphones I thought were worth my consideration. Shure SRH840, KRK KNS 8400, Philip's Citiscape Uptown and the Koss DJ100 (DJ200 I checked on Koss's website have a detachable cable, but is their a difference in their sound?) Thank you again!

840: neutralish with a mid bass hump.  Very well regarded

8400: neutral.  Very well regarded

Uptown:  bassy, colored headphones.  Many like this sound signature.

DJ100/200/TB: the same headphone for all practical with varying features and kit.  Mid-centric cans that can go to under $50 (which makes them a very good value).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back