++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 20, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #16,711 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for over ear headphones with a lot of great bass to listen to my iPod touch 4g, Droid Razr Maxx, and laptop. I'd like to avoid an amp if I can but I'm not completely opposed to it. I listen to 70% rap, 20% rock, 8% metal, and 2% pop. Although I want bass, I Iike the rest of the music to sound good too. My budget is around $500 but anything up to maybe $650 I'll consider if it's really worth it.
Here are some that I've seen recommended a lot:
ATH-M50, Denon 5000, ATH Pro 700, M Audio Q40, Ultrasone 580, and Ultrasone Pro 900.
I'm listening to any thoughts and opinions on those and anything else that might suit me. Thanks!

Is you are considering the Denon 5000 then I suggest you consider the Denon 2000 instead and use the money you saved to upgrade it (I.E markl mod, custom wood cups, ect) Read Skylab's review of them here. I just traded my Denon 2000 (stock) and what I can say about them is that they don't have imo a "ton of bass." What they have is a good quality bass that can be improved greatly with mods. I don't know if you want to buy used but it's a great way to save and the majority of us keep our gear in great condition. For you genera I think they would be a good match considering they give enough bass without overpowering everything else.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #16,712 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for over ear headphones with a lot of great bass to listen to my iPod touch 4g, Droid Razr Maxx, and laptop. I'd like to avoid an amp if I can but I'm not completely opposed to it. I listen to 70% rap, 20% rock, 8% metal, and 2% pop. Although I want bass, I Iike the rest of the music to sound good too. My budget is around $500 but anything up to maybe $650 I'll consider if it's really worth it.
Here are some that I've seen recommended a lot:
ATH-M50, Denon 5000, ATH Pro 700, M Audio Q40, Ultrasone 580, and Ultrasone Pro 900.
I'm listening to any thoughts and opinions on those and anything else that might suit me. Thanks!

Denon D2000/D5000 are a great choice as they have a solid bass but it doesn't overpower everything else. You can also mod/customize them at Lawton Audio. One downside to the Denons is that they leak quite a bit of sound for being closed.

Also, you may want to check out the Pannasonic HTF-600 with Beyer DT250 velour pads. These are a budget pair that after ~50 hours of burn-in and a couple mods sound very nice and for only ~$50 after the velour pads. These also leak quite a bit too. Not up to par with the Denons, but are very good for the price.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #16,713 of 29,490
Quote:
Your sound signatures are basically mutually exclusive. One HP can't be both. So, you would either want two cans or two EQ settings with one set of cans. The HD800 is way out of your price range. Of the others, the D2000 has the most extended sub bass. You might look into the HFiMan HE-400. However, for $600 you should be able to get a D2000 (sub bass, slightly V-shaped) and the DT-880 (slightly mid centric).

Are most quality $600 full shaped HFs V shaped?  

Is the DT-880 a neutral HF? Would it be a good choice for Pop, Rock and Electronic?
Are the D2000 like the old JBL floor speakers, meaning it's very bright with a boomy bass?

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #16,714 of 29,490
Quote:
Are most quality $600 full shaped HFs V shaped?  

Is the DT-880 a neutral HF? Would it be a good choice for Pop, Rock and Electronic?
Are the D2000 like the old JBL floor speakers, meaning it's very bright with a boomy bass?

I wouldn't say that most $600 headphones are V-shaped. I think there is a great variation among the cans at or near that range. I think as you get higher up they tend to be more balanced overall with may a slight emphasis on one part of the sound spectrum. This is simply from reading other opinions as well as looking at different frequency response graphs. The most expensive headphones that I have used are my D5000s.

The DT880s are pretty neutral with a bit of sparkle in the treble. Some people find them a bit too analytical for music, but I really enjoyed them when I had them.

The Denons have a nice bass and it is a bit boomy. The mids are a bit recessed but I don't think that the treble is really bright. Maybe a slight emphasis on the treble, but not overly bright.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #16,716 of 29,490
Quote:
Question.
I would like to buy a pair of headphones, already modded/painted the way I want them. Pretty much like buying a pair of headphones, but having them pre-customized. Any websites/companies that do this? After 20mins of google searching, I'm not getting anything useful.
I am thinking probably Sony XB500s, with a short cable (12inches), better cable, painted black...to be used in the gym. Just like the ones I have. I just don't feel like modding my cans again really.
2012-03-19_15-05-03_194.jpg

I might do it with a different can like XB700s, ATH M50, Ultrasone HFI-580, but just need to be pointed in the right direction. I might just need a headphone modder from this forum/site, or I might need to be pointed to a sub-forum/thread to post in.
It should be noted that the shortening of the cable is more important to me than the painting of the can or replacing of the cable.
Thanks.

The Clip is enough with those HFs?

BTW,  paradox, irony and a sense of humor (especially about ourselves). According to "Soc".

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #16,717 of 29,490
Quote:
I wouldn't say that most $600 headphones are V-shaped. I think there is a great variation among the cans at or near that range. I think as you get higher up they tend to be more balanced overall with may a slight emphasis on one part of the sound spectrum. This is simply from reading other opinions as well as looking at different frequency response graphs. The most expensive headphones that I have used are my D5000s.

The DT880s are pretty neutral with a bit of sparkle in the treble. Some people find them a bit too analytical for music, but I really enjoyed them when I had them.

The Denons have a nice bass and it is a bit boomy. The mids are a bit recessed but I don't think that the treble is really bright. Maybe a slight emphasis on the treble, but not overly bright.

Have you heard the IEM: JVC FX700? They are V shaped with lots of energy, very good detail but definitely not analytical. Some consider it to have too much quantity of bass. I wonder if the Denons sound comparable.
Have you heard any of the Ultrasones and Shure SRH-1440?

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #16,718 of 29,490
Quote:
Have you heard the IEM: JVC FX700? They are V shaped with lots of energy, very good detail but definitely not analytical. Some consider it to have too much quantity of bass. I wonder if the Denons sound comparable.
Have you heard any of the Ultrasones and Shure SRH-1440?

Unfortunately I have not. I don't have experience with nicer IEMs.
I have heard the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro/ Pro 550 which was a slight V-shape and I really enjoyed them, especially at their low price. I used to have the Shure SRH940 which have great treble and amazing detail. I think they are supposed to be similar to either the Shure 1440 or the 1840 (can't remember which) the biggest difference being that the 940s are closed.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #16,719 of 29,490
The Clip is enough with those HFs?

BTW,  paradox, irony and a sense of humor (especially about ourselves). According to "Soc".

The clip is great. Its just gym use.

And, are you talking about my sig? ...about Peaceful Warrior? ...its not really that complex, just live in the moment.

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #16,720 of 29,490
*the best* non electrostatic headphone for good midrange, nice well defined bass (not loose) but not overpowering (the less the better almost) and very nicely detailed? upper midrange would be nice. not too tame treble but not too harsh either.
would be nice to have good soundstage too, but doesn't have to be super wide.
do very much prefer open back, however I'm willing to try closed too if that's what you think is better.
really want violins to shine in the headphones.

any price range really. just want a list of options.
will be driven with an M^3 and a Gamma2, AMB audio (DIY)

cheers! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #16,721 of 29,490
Quote:
I will be starting my first year of college soon, and have been trying to get ready for dorm life by figuring out my headphones setup. First I got the Koss Pro DJ 100, but I couldn't deal with the comfort, and the sound could have been better for some genres (mainly classical, which is about 1/3 of what I listen to). Then I got the AKG K550. Really like the sound, but whenever I press the cups into my ears, I LOVE the sound. If I could get that all the time, these would be perfect for me, but I just cant get it unless i'm pressing on the earpads. They also have the issue of being massive and would draw lots of attention if I wore them around campus. So, I will be returning those too.

After alot of thought, I have come up with what I hope will work. I plan to buy both the HD558 and the Vsonic GR06 IEM. HD558 will be for dorm room use only, and only for the few hours a day when my roommate isnt in, because obviously he will not appreciate the sound leakage. GR06 will be for use when my roommate is in, and pretty much everywhere else (library, planes, ect). Both from a sound perspective and from a dorm-life perspective, is this a good idea? Are dorms too loud in general for open cans? From what i've read, the HD558s seem perfect for what i'm looking for, except for the massive problem of it being open. But I cant seem to find a good closed alternative. The K550 is what everyone recommends for an open sound from a closed phone that runs well unamped and is extremely comfortable, but I guess my head is just too small to get a good seal.

The 598 is an excellent all arrounder and many gamers like them too.

I realize that my experience is ancient.  However, if your dorm room (especially in your room with your door closed) is too loud for an open can, it will be way too loud to study and sleep.  The can issue will be the least of your problems.

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #16,723 of 29,490
Question.

I would like to buy a pair of headphones, already modded/painted the way I want them. Pretty much like buying a pair of headphones, but having them pre-customized. Any websites/companies that do this? After 20mins of google searching, I'm not getting anything useful.

I am thinking probably Sony XB500s, with a short cable (12inches), better cable, painted black...to be used in the gym. Just like the ones I have. I just don't feel like modding my cans again really.

Beyerdynamics do that, not sure about the others.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #16,724 of 29,490
Hi guys. First post here. 

I am sorry to bring another grado vs alessandro question. 

I've had a pair of Grado SR80i for a couple of weeks and I really like them. The only complain about the SR80i's is that I find them a little harsh with some female vocals like Diana Krall, Heart, and other acoustic music that focuses on the treble or with a lot of cimbals and hi hat. Thats a little unconfortable; I dare to say it is even painful. I am using them with my iPhone 4s, and with a Nuforce Udac-2 connected to my laptop (sometimes just my laptop witout DAC/amp).

Question:

Will this improve with time (burn in)?
Should I try the Alessandro MS1? wich I understand from what I've read, that they are less harsh than the Grados.

Grettings from Costa Rica. (yes, that explains the English)

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #16,725 of 29,490
Yes, great movie/book.
Not complex, and simple...but not easy.

You just have to let go. In the words of Joe Rogan.

Beyerdynamics do that, not sure about the others.

Thanks man. I'm not sure that is what I am looking for. I just really want a pair of cans to have a 3.5mm TRS headphone jack for my mp3 for the gym, on a 1' cable, just a simple mod, but don't fee like doing it myself.

Anyone got anything else?

Question.
2012-03-19_15-05-03_194.jpg

I might do it with a different can like XB700s, ATH M50, Ultrasone HFI-580, but just need to be pointed in the right direction. I might just need a headphone modder from this forum/site, or I might need to be pointed to a sub-forum/thread to post in.
It should be noted that the shortening of the cable is more important to me than the painting of the can or replacing of the cable.
Thanks.

Bump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back