++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 21, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #16,726 of 29,490
Quote:
*the best* non electrostatic headphone for good midrange, nice well defined bass (not loose) but not overpowering (the less the better almost) and very nicely detailed? upper midrange would be nice. not too tame treble but not too harsh either.
would be nice to have good soundstage too, but doesn't have to be super wide.
do very much prefer open back, however I'm willing to try closed too if that's what you think is better.
really want violins to shine in the headphones.

any price range really. just want a list of options.
will be driven with an M^3 and a Gamma2, AMB audio (DIY)

cheers! 
smily_headphones1.gif

You seem to be describing the HD600 almost to a T. :)

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #16,727 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys. First post here. 

I am sorry to bring another grado vs alessandro question. 

I've had a pair of Grado SR80i for a couple of weeks and I really like them. The only complain about the SR80i's is that I find them a little harsh with some female vocals like Diana Krall, Heart, and other acoustic music that focuses on the treble or with a lot of cimbals and hi hat. Thats a little unconfortable; I dare to say it is even painful. I am using them with my iPhone 4s, and with a Nuforce Udac-2 connected to my laptop (sometimes just my laptop witout DAC/amp).

Question:

Will this improve with time (burn in)?
Should I try the Alessandro MS1? wich I understand from what I've read, that they are less harsh than the Grados.

Grettings from Costa Rica. (yes, that explains the English)

The Alessandro is less bright.  Whether it will be OK for you is almost impossible to determine without you giving them a try.

In my experience Grados burn in fairly quickly.  If you have 48 hours in them, you should have their final sound--or at least something very close to it.

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #16,728 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys. First post here. 

I am sorry to bring another grado vs alessandro question. 

I've had a pair of Grado SR80i for a couple of weeks and I really like them. The only complain about the SR80i's is that I find them a little harsh with some female vocals like Diana Krall, Heart, and other acoustic music that focuses on the treble or with a lot of cimbals and hi hat. Thats a little unconfortable; I dare to say it is even painful. I am using them with my iPhone 4s, and with a Nuforce Udac-2 connected to my laptop (sometimes just my laptop witout DAC/amp).

Question:

Will this improve with time (burn in)?
Should I try the Alessandro MS1? wich I understand from what I've read, that they are less harsh than the Grados.

Grettings from Costa Rica. (yes, that explains the English)

Well i have the ms1i and the sound is very good that coming out from my laptop (i'm using foobar2k (flac format) > wasapi > fiio e7 > ms1i), to me it's preety balance sound between high mid and the low, love the soundsign but that just my opinion, you should give them a try if theres any headphone store near you

*sorry for my bad french
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #16,729 of 29,490
Quote:

You seem to be describing the HD600 almost to a T. :)

hi!
I'm unfortunately a bit spoiled with having owned HiFiMan HE-4 and those just have bass on a completely different level.
the HD600 and 650 both felt like they had very muddy bass, regardless of what amplifier I used.
the treble was also a bit too rolled off for my liking. the mids I can't complain about though.
a bit too "warm" sounding for what I am looking for.
thanks

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #16,730 of 29,490
Quote:
Depends on how you have the Yamaha hooked up?
Are you using optical or RCA's?
If your using optical, not much use for getting a sound card.
If your using RCA's, then getting a used Xonar DX or D1 sound card and running RCA's from the sound card to the Yamaha would improve the audio quality.
The DAC in the DX/D1 would be better then the one in the Yamaha (but it's only 2-channel stereo audio).
Where as optical will feed 5.1 (6-channel) to the Yamaha.

You can also run both optical and RCA's from the Xonar DX/D1 and switch depending on the need.

the reciver is hookd to the pc by RCA`s[red+white] in one end [reciver one] and to the pc by 3.5mm
and the headphones are hookd to the reciver by 3.5mm plug as well
thare is a beter way to do this?
[how can i hookd it optical to a standrt OB sound card?]

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #16,731 of 29,490
Hello, right now im looking at the HD558, and px360. I listen to really everything i like good bass, sources are samsung fascinate, and HP Pavilion dv7 with beats audio. Can I get some pros and cons of both please?

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #16,732 of 29,490
Quote:
The receiver is hooked to the PC by RCA`s[red+white] in one end [receiver one] and to the PC by 3.5mm
and the headphones are hooked to the receiver by 3.5mm plug as well
There is a better way to do this?
[how can i hookd it optical to a standrt OB sound card?]

How can I hook optical to a motherboard's on-board sound?
(it that your question?).

If your motherboard already comes with a (Toslink) optical output, you can use an optical cable to go from the motherboard to the receiver.
Otherwise you would need to buy a sound card with the optical port built in.

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #16,734 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, right now im looking at the HD558, and px360. I listen to really everything i like good bass, sources are samsung fascinate, and HP Pavilion dv7 with beats audio. Can I get some pros and cons of both please?

An amazing headphone for a "cheap" buck is the Audio Technica M50's. Well balanced with good bass response. Clear and detailed sound but yet very musical and fun to listen to. Just stay away from the Denon D1100. I had them about eight months and sold them. Unbalanced piece of gear where the bass just colors everything from midrange to treble. If you like bass also consider the HD518. They have pretty good bass response but sounds a bit veiled at the beginning, opens up after a period of time. HD558 is very similar to the HD518 but with a more neutral and balanced sound. These are only my impressions of these cans. The best thing to do is to test them out for yourself and make a decision. Yet, bang for the buck definitively the M50's. I think a lot of head-fiers would agree.

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #16,735 of 29,490
Hello, I've been lurking this site for about a year, and finally decided to get some decent equipment. I'm looking for recommendations for headphones, amp, and DAC to use with my PC. I'd like to spend about $450-600 in total, but I can go a bit higher if it will make a significant difference.

The setup would be used for a variety of music (everything except for pop and hip hop), as well as some gaming (directionality isn't a top priority, as I mostly play strategy games).

Right now, I'm considering the Sennheiser HD650s and the Beyerdynamic DT880s (although I'm looking for any recommendations); I'm leaning towards the 650s but I've heard that they need to be properly amped ("properly" being entirely outside of my budget) in order to sound good. Would an amp within my budget still make the 650s worthwhile, or would that be pushing my budget too far? I have no idea how to best allocate budget (% into headphones vs amp vs DAC), any advice there would be appreciated. An upgrade path that does not involve selling everything would also be nice.

Thanks for any help.

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #16,736 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, I've been lurking this site for about a year, and finally decided to get some decent equipment. I'm looking for recommendations for headphones, amp, and DAC to use with my PC. I'd like to spend about $450-600 in total, but I can go a bit higher if it will make a significant difference.
The setup would be used for a variety of music (everything except for pop and hip hop), as well as some gaming (directionality isn't a top priority, as I mostly play strategy games).
Right now, I'm considering the Sennheiser HD650s and the Beyerdynamic DT880s (although I'm looking for any recommendations); I'm leaning towards the 650s but I've heard that they need to be properly amped ("properly" being entirely outside of my budget) in order to sound good. Would an amp within my budget still make the 650s worthwhile, or would that be pushing my budget too far? I have no idea how to best allocate budget (% into headphones vs amp vs DAC), any advice there would be appreciated. An upgrade path that does not involve selling everything would also be nice.

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm.
Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard.
total around $360, maybe $375

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #16,737 of 29,490
Quote:
An amazing headphone for a "cheap" buck is the Audio Technica M50's. Well balanced with good bass response. Clear and detailed sound but yet very musical and fun to listen to. Just stay away from the Denon D1100. I had them about eight months and sold them. Unbalanced piece of gear where the bass just colors everything from midrange to treble. If you like bass also consider the HD518. They have pretty good bass response but sounds a bit veiled at the beginning, opens up after a period of time. HD558 is very similar to the HD518 but with a more neutral and balanced sound. These are only my impressions of these cans. The best thing to do is to test them out for yourself and make a decision. Yet, bang for the buck definitively the M50's. I think a lot of head-fiers would agree.

The HD5X8 series has very little bass without amplification.  The D1100 is good for mobile applications, and after a few hours, the bass calms down.  It also has, get this, a decent soundstage (something the M50 sorely lacks.)

Jul 22, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #16,738 of 29,490
Hey guys, i am looking for some audiophile grade over ear headphones for some home use. im going to run them with a fiio e09k amp.i really want one with replaceable cable so that i can replace them when they brake and so that i have the option for an upgrade cable. i think i will go for sennheiser hd 650's but i was wondering what the other options will be.

my budget is around $500 give or take a couple bucks.

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #16,739 of 29,490
Hi guys,
I'm looking for a pair of good headphones that I'll use at home with my PC (I use TF10 on the go).
My budget is around 200$ max, the headphone should be at least as good as the TF10.
As of my music that I hear most of it is rock, psytrance, some rap, but also all the different kinds of music.

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #16,740 of 29,490
Hi mate,
I just bought the HD650 and amp it with the Objective amp/dac combo. 
The total cost fits in your budget. 
Quote:

Thanks for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back