++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #16,741 of 29,490
Ive basicly desided to get HiFiMan HE-500 cause they seem to give great sound for the value!
Which AMP/DAC is recommended other than Schiit Audio Lyr & Bifrost?
Lake People? Woo Audio?

I listen to indie, pop, house,club, electronica music!

Thx for help

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #16,742 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,
I'm looking for a pair of good headphones that I'll use at home with my PC (I use TF10 on the go).
My budget is around 200$ max, the headphone should be at least as good as the TF10.
As of my music that I hear most of it is rock, psytrance, some rap, but also all the different kinds of music.

You're going to need something that emphasizes on the mids especially. Sennheisers are a good place to look at. 
PS: I love psytrance :D

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #16,743 of 29,490
Could somebody recommend a phone with a similar sound profile to the Grado 60i but with more comfort. I enjoy the sound of the 60i's very much but find them uncomfortable for extended listening. I'd like to keep them under the $200 range and don't care about looks or isolation since these will be used at home only.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #16,744 of 29,490
Quote:
Could somebody recommend a phone with a similar sound profile to the Grado 60i but with more comfort. I enjoy the sound of the 60i's very much but find them uncomfortable for extended listening. I'd like to keep them under the $200 range and don't care about looks or isolation since these will be used at home only.

Thanks in advance.

There are a few things you can do to increase the comfort of the SR60i without getting a different headphone.  Part of the thing is that the Grado sound isn't something you get with many other headphones.

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #16,746 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

There is nothing like Grado/Alessandro, but the closest I have found is the Ultrasone HiFi 780, Pro 750 and Hifi 2400.  All have more bass than your Grado.  Absent a sale, probably only the HiFi 780(which does not need an amp) will fall within your budget.

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #16,747 of 29,490
Quote:
For now on, let it be known that if you have a tube amp, you should under no circumstances buy a pair of Denons.  Massive uncontrolled undampened bass and an utterly awful amount of clipping.

That's not true for the D2000 through D7000--at least not for hybrid tube amps (the little HiFiMan EF2A in particular).

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #16,748 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Just get the G-Cush pads for your SR60i.

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #16,750 of 29,490
Quote:
There are plenty of hybrid amps and OT amps with a high enough output impedance to make Denons sound uncontrolled.  25 ohms isn't a lot of space for output impedance.

But this is what you said that prompted my comment:

"For now on, let it be known that if you have a tube amp, you should under no circumstances buy a pair of Denons.  Massive uncontrolled undampened bass and an utterly awful amount of clipping." [Bolding added]

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #16,752 of 29,490
Hey! I am new to head fi but i love the site but anyways im just a listener who wants good audio quality my music Player is a samsung flight 2 just a phone i never had a good set of headphones before so i did some research i stumbled upon the m50s but i was wondering if that would even be worth it in my case? Also i will be doing my listning mostly in a bus,car or at home and i listen to hip hop/rap i would love to hear back thanks!!

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #16,753 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem with my SR-80i's when I bought them.  I ended up getting Sennheiser 414 pads for real cheap, and any comfort issues were gone, remarkably simple to switch out too.  Given the cost of the pads, it'd be worth giving a try before spending up to 200 on new phones which may not replicate the sound you're enjoying from your SR-60s.

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #16,754 of 29,490
Quote:
I had the same problem with my SR-80i's when I bought them.  I ended up getting Sennheiser 414 pads for real cheap, and any comfort issues were gone, remarkably simple to switch out too.  Given the cost of the pads, it'd be worth giving a try before spending up to 200 on new phones which may not replicate the sound you're enjoying from your SR-60s.

Washing the Grado comfies that come with them also helps tremendously.  If it is the headband, there are several replacement bands you can buy (that you can also put on any Grados you upgrade to in the future.)  Chris from Headphone Lounge has some pretty nice looking bands with his "Manta" line.

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #16,755 of 29,490
Hey, could someone recommend some good, closed, over the ear headphones without the need for amps for around $120? Preferably comfortable and durable. I tend to listen to lots of different genres and am always trying out new music, so a good, all-around sound would be nice. Is the KRK KNS-6400 or KRK KNS-8400 any good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back