++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 23, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #16,771 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking to upgrade from the ATH-M50. Has to be closed, and my budget is $400. 

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #16,772 of 29,490
I just need some lil' help before i buy my 1st decent headphone :) yeah coz' im using Soundmagic in-ear as of the moment..

My Top Choices are :

Superlux HD 661
Superlux HD 631
Sennheiser HD 428
Sennheiser HD 419
Sennheiser HD 205

all of 'em are not too pricey in our country except for the 661 which is much cheaper compare to my other 4 choices..
im into house musics more on hiphop rnb and a bit of a loud rocks!

any suggestions for better cans please'? Thanks a lot!

*im a commuter who doesnt like to hear noices ~

Jul 23, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #16,775 of 29,490
Quote:
The Asus Xonar DX is a good sound card (good DAC, surround sound), but barely decent at driving headphones.
So sometime in the future adding an external headphone amplifier might help the headphone sound.

The AKG K242HD (55-Ohm) is semi-open and has Velour ear pads, I bought my K242HDs from Thomann.

Any more info on those, as in , are they very balanced ? what is their soundstage like and the base aswell ?

How are they compared to the A700s ? How are the Beyer I wrote about in comparison, as I am also interested in those.

What are the AKG 272 like ?

Jul 23, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #16,776 of 29,490
I have been using the AKG K240 for listening to music, tracking/recording and mixing. All is fine but:

1) My ears get a bit hot
2) I'd like a closed pair for tracking

What would you guys recommend for me? AKG K271? I'm looking for something under $300 and without using an amplifier (55ohm or lower is great).

Jul 23, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #16,777 of 29,490
PHi, I'm relatively new here. Looking for a headphone for a wide range of activities. Listening to music from my computer, genres range all over: metal/hardcore, aoucustic/folk, ambient(no rap,pop or hip hop for me) . I would also like them for guitar practice listening through my practice amp . Also possibly gaming. My budget is under 100, but more realisticly in the $50 price range. I've been considering the koss pro dj100, grado sr60/80, and the superlux 668b .which of these do you think would best suit me and represent the best value? I know a lot of this is subjective but I have no hands on experience with any of these headphones. Thanks

Jul 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #16,778 of 29,490
Quote:
I have been using the AKG K240 for listening to music, tracking/recording and mixing. All is fine but:

1) My ears get a bit hot
2) I'd like a closed pair for tracking

What would you guys recommend for me? AKG K271? I'm looking for something under $300 and without using an amplifier (55ohm or lower is great).

AKG K550 or Audio Technica ATH-A900X.

Jul 23, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #16,779 of 29,490
Quote:
Any more info on those, as in , are they very balanced ? what is their sound stage like and the base aswell ?
How are they compared to the A700s ? How are the Beyer I wrote about in comparison, as I am also interested in those.
What are the AKG 272 like ?

The K242HD best part is music, movie and sound stage is decent.
Do not own the A700s, so can not compare.
Beyerdynamic DT770/DT880/DT990 are good headphones, but need a decent amplifier to sound there best.
I know little on the AKG K272, I'm sure there are K272 owners on Head-fi, but never really see the K272s recommended by them.

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #16,780 of 29,490
Quote:
How does the DT 880 compare with the HD 650, in terms of general SQ, detail, bass and treble quality and quantity, imaging and sound signature.

650s:  warmish bass, mids a bit distant especially in the upper range making female vocals a bit less present and defined to my taste, highs are well balanced and a bit tame compared to lots of other phones, maybe a bit too reserved.  Soundstage seems very deep probably due to slight recess in the mids, overall width is good and presentation is a bit on the dark side.  Instruments flesh out a bit more with tubes as does space.  Female vocalists can have much more presence with the right tube and amp.

DT-880-600- Bass is tight and deep, but may appear a bit laid back due to slightly peaky highs.  Midrange is very good with openness and transparency.  Slight peak in upper treble can be tamed with good tube amp and I prefer this to even the most expensive ss amps.  Female vocals shine with smooth detailed reproduction.  Soundstage is maybe a bit wider than the 650 but not by much.  Depth seems a bit less due to more forward mids, but everything seems a bit more clear.

Change the cable on the Senn 650 and it is another story :)  Overall both are great headphones, well balanced and at the top of the heap even compared to cans twice the price, especially when you find the right amp for them.  It is a hard decision and one that is best made by trying to hear both and see which sound signature you prefer.

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #16,781 of 29,490
I just need some lil' help before i buy my 1st decent headphone :) yeah coz' im using Soundmagic in-ear as of the moment..

My Top Choices are :

Superlux HD 661
Superlux HD 631
Sennheiser HD 428
Sennheiser HD 419
Sennheiser HD 205

all of 'em are not too pricey in our country except for the 661 which is much cheaper compare to my other 4 choices..
im into house musics more on hiphop rnb and a bit of a loud rocks!

any suggestions for better cans please'? Thanks a lot!

*im a commuter who doesnt like to hear noices ~

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #16,782 of 29,490
Thanks, PurpleAngel. I've added these 2 to my list and will keep looking. I think I'll refresh my list of 'needs' so it's easier to recommend me something.

1) Circumaural
2) Closed
3) Can be driven without an amp
4) Fit for reference/tracking/recording
5) Cool on the ears (Not leather?)
6) Under $300.

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #16,785 of 29,490
Quote:
Any recommendation for portable headphone especially for iPhone control like Beats Studio? Price range is less than $500.

I think the V-moda M80 might work. They come with two detachable cables that have controls and one of them is made for apple products. These are great sounding, pretty portable, and are about $200 new.

It's hard to truly recommend headphones without knowing your music preferences and exactly what sound signature you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back