++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 25, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #15,766 of 29,490
So I narrowed my choice down to the philips citiscape downtown, uptown or the Sennheiser HD25-1 II. I can all get them for around the same price (€100,-). So I have one question left.
1. Which one leaks the least, because I have to use them in very quiet environments so I can't have any leaking even at moderate loud volumes.

Hope someone can help me with this, because especially with the Sennheiser I read different things about leakage problems or lack thereof. I suppose the sennheisers are the one to get for that price but I wan't to make absolutely sure they won't leak.

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #15,767 of 29,490
This is a pricing question, I didn't want to clog the forum with a new thread so I thought I would come here.

Are the Denon AHD2000 (Used Recertified) at a good price at $164?
I won them at an authorized auction cite via the Denon certified dealers webpage. I was wondering if the resale value would be affected if there were a few scratches but the sound stayed as is.
I most likely will be keeping them though :D

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #15,768 of 29,490
Quote:
This is a pricing question, I didn't want to clog the forum with a new thread so I thought I would come here.

Are the Denon AHD2000 (Used Recertified) at a good price at $164?
I won them at an authorized auction cite via the Denon certified dealers webpage. I was wondering if the resale value would be affected if there were a few scratches but the sound stayed as is.
I most likely will be keeping them though :D

I would most likely jump on the D2ks at that price assuming their sound was intact. Heck, you may later want to add wood cups or something instead.

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #15,769 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm very new to the whole headphones scene, and I really don't know too much about it. I am, however, looking for new pair of good quality that will last me. 

Budget: not really looking to spend more than $150

Music: mainly alternative/rock

Open/Closed: closed

Amp: no amp, I'd really only be using them with just my iPod.

One issue is the fact that I'll be using them around college, and it tends to rain a lot where I am, will waterproofing be an issue I will have to seriously consider?

Thanks for the help.

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #15,770 of 29,490
Jun 26, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #15,771 of 29,490
Quote:
Reading that I am amazed at the amount of control Sennheiser imposes on the retailer.

Cannot apply generic discounts to MAP products
retailers can sell it at a price less than MAP however they cannot indicate this on the product page, no 'click for lower price' or anything similar...

The more customer confusion and/or the more hoops the customer has to jump through = fewer discounters and fewer discounted sales.

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #15,772 of 29,490
Quote:
The more customer confusion and/or the more hoops the customer has to jump through = fewer discounters and fewer discounted sales.

This kind of price fixing is never a good thing for the consumer, 'thankfully' the retailer can still charge less but I have no idea how they indicate this to the consumer other than on the bill.
I find it really sad that this kind of stuff goes on, Sennheiser seems to think they are the sole authority on the value of their goods and that the free market cannot be trusted.

On a lighter note, just received my Ultrasone pro 750s today and I am loving the sound signature, they are what I was looking for and more, closed grados with a good base and awesome sound stage.
I don't have my EF2A yet so these are just being driven from onboard sound so I am really excited to hear what they sound like when properly driven :)

Thanks for the great recommendation KG Jag, if only there was such thing as recommendation feedback 
L3000.gif

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #15,773 of 29,490
Quote:
This kind of price fixing is never a good thing for the consumer, 'thankfully' the retailer can still charge less but I have no idea how they indicate this to the consumer other than on the bill.
I find it really sad that this kind of stuff goes on, Sennheiser seems to think they are the sole authority on the value of their goods and that the free market cannot be trusted.

On a lighter note, just received my Ultrasone pro 750s today and I am loving the sound signature, they are what I was looking for and more, closed grados with a good base and awesome sound stage.
I don't have my EF2A yet so these are just being driven from onboard sound so I am really excited to hear what they sound like when properly driven :)

Thanks for the great recommendation KG Jag, if only there was such thing as recommendation feedback 
L3000.gif

Glad you like them.  They are bright--almost like SR Grados. 

If you have a receiver with a decent headphone section (the two Onkyo's I tried with them did not cut it), you might want to plug the 750 into it just to see how they sound with that setup until your amp arrives.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #15,774 of 29,490
Hi I've been searching for a pair of headphones that have these qualities:

Budget: Around $200

Sound quality: Has to have great sound quality without needing an amp

Portable: I'm mostly gonna be using this whenever I have the chance so it's gonna have to be portable

Comfort: I'm only gonna be using it for 1 hour at a time

Isolation: I don't want any leakage whatsoever

Closed: I want it to be closed for it to have good isolation

I'm just gonna say the artists name because I don't know what genre (or mixed genres) so I listen to:

Skrillex, Deadmau5, Owl City, Eminem

Those are the main artists I listen to but then there are some artists there that only have 1 song on my iPod.

Thanks in advance 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #15,775 of 29,490
Quote:

Portable: I'm mostly gonna be using this whenever I have the chance so it's gonna have to be portable

I'm just gonna say the artists name because I don't know what genre (or mixed genres) so I listen to:

Those are the main artists I listen to but then there are some artists there that only have 1 song on my iPod.

Thanks in advance 
smily_headphones1.gif

Go with the M50's ... really doesn't need an amp... or go with the SRH840... you wont go wrong either way :)

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #15,776 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks in advance 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Go with the M50's ... really doesn't need an amp... or go with the SRH840... you wont go wrong either way :)

Could also go for the Sennheiser HD-25 1 II or V-moda M-80's. Both are within his budget, portable, isolating, closed, and should fit his music really well. I'm not so sure that the $150 price tag is worth it for the M50's. I wasn't even that pleased with them when I got them for $110 shipped from The Sound Professionals Inc. I paid $108 shipped for my M5's that outperform the M50 in every way, except for soundstage. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #15,777 of 29,490
Quote:

Could also go for the Sennheiser HD-25 1 II or V-moda M-80's. Both are within his budget, portable, isolating, closed, and should fit his music really well. I'm not so sure that the $150 price tag is worth it for the M50's. I wasn't even that pleased with them when I got them for $110 shipped from The Sound Professionals Inc. I paid $108 shipped for my M5's that outperform the M50 in every way, except for soundstage. 

Thanks, I'm thinking about waiting for the V-moda M-100's instead of buying the m80s

P.S. I'm a her LOL

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #15,779 of 29,490
So after some advice and a ton of research, I've attempted to narrow it down to these headphones (for classic rock, progressive metal and some electronic).
Sennheiser HD 558 or 598 - Was about to get the 598 but I read some threads saying they weren't well suited for metal and that the 558s bass was better.. I also already own a pair of Sennheiser IE80s so I thought I might try a different brand but there's no real necessity for that.
Beyerdynamic DT 770 or 880 - Thought these might be good but my ears are sensitive to treble which seems like it could be a problem.
Maybe something else? I've read good things about AKG's and I've read a thousand recommendations for Grados unfortunately their comfort is rated pretty low. Reading through the forums has managed to make me more indecisive 
confused_face.gif

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #15,780 of 29,490
I'm definitely going to purchase a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990's, it's just a matter of which one to get. I'll be using these strictly for my desktop computer. The problem is, I only have an on-board soundcard. So there's no way it will be able to work the 600's or even 250's. However, I WILL be getting ASUS Xonar Essence STX card eventually (probably months down the line though), which can run up to 600 ohms.

I'm just wondering if I'll still be able to enjoy the 600's with my computer right now? Or will the volume be too low/not enough punch/etc? Even with volume maxed/using an equalizer?

IF it's basically unusable without an amp/sound card, how do the 250's fare?

Even if the 600's are a little weak, will it be worth it over the 250 in the end (once I get the soundcard)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back