++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 26, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #15,782 of 29,490
Quote:
So after some advice and a ton of research, I've attempted to narrow it down to these headphones (for classic rock, progressive metal and some electronic).
Sennheiser HD 558 or 598 - Was about to get the 598 but I read some threads saying they weren't well suited for metal and that the 558s bass was better.. I also already own a pair of Sennheiser IE80s so I thought I might try a different brand but there's no real necessity for that.
Beyerdynamic DT 770 or 880 - Thought these might be good but my ears are sensitive to treble which seems like it could be a problem.
Maybe something else? I've read good things about AKG's and I've read a thousand recommendations for Grados unfortunately their comfort is rated pretty low. Reading through the forums has managed to make me more indecisive 
confused_face.gif

The HD558 and HD598 use the same drivers.
The HD558 come with BRT (black rubber tape) inside each cup to block about one third of the outer opening.
I'm "guessing" the BRT makes the HD558 sound more bassy, but limits the mids and highs (guessing).
I myself removed the BRT about a week after buying the HD558s.
AKG K240/K240MKII/K242HD have a nice mid range and good over all sound (I'm an K242HD owner).
What source(s) are you plugging the headphones into?

Jun 26, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #15,783 of 29,490
I don't have a dedicated headphone amp (yet) so I'm using my receiver's headphone jack. The HD598 is not worth the premium over the 558? I read the Sennheiser's weren't 'fast enough' for metal. I'm not really sure what that means though. How are the K242HDs? Amazon is no longer selling them but the Harmon website has them for $150 which is about $20 cheaper than the HD 558 although $20 is not a big deal. Which would be better suited for my music?

Jun 26, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #15,784 of 29,490
Quote:
So after some advice and a ton of research, I've attempted to narrow it down to these headphones (for classic rock, progressive metal and some electronic).
Sennheiser HD 558 or 598 - Was about to get the 598 but I read some threads saying they weren't well suited for metal and that the 558s bass was better.. I also already own a pair of Sennheiser IE80s so I thought I might try a different brand but there's no real necessity for that.
Beyerdynamic DT 770 or 880 - Thought these might be good but my ears are sensitive to treble which seems like it could be a problem.
Maybe something else? I've read good things about AKG's and I've read a thousand recommendations for Grados unfortunately their comfort is rated pretty low. Reading through the forums has managed to make me more indecisive 
confused_face.gif

A person sensitive to treble should go with one of the Senns.

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #15,785 of 29,490
Quote:
I don't have a dedicated headphone amp (yet) so I'm using my receiver's headphone jack. The HD598 is not worth the premium over the 558? I read the Sennheiser's weren't 'fast enough' for metal. I'm not really sure what that means though. How are the K242HDs? Amazon is no longer selling them but the Harmon website has them for $150 which is about $20 cheaper than the HD 558 although $20 is not a big deal. Which would be better suited for my music?

If you go with AKG's, go with the Q701.  On the street they are priced less than the HD 598.

If you want a can that has both slam and treble that you can live with is a bit of a challenge.  Maybe the V-Moda M-80.

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #15,786 of 29,490
Totally did not see this thread when I made a new thread and posted my question below. I listen to mainly hip hop, reggae, r&b. I'd also like to use them for a little PC gaming (SC2), and watching movies. If anyone can give me some advice, that would be great. 

Looking for my first set of "audiophile" headphones. Hoping to stay within the $250 - $350 price point. I've been looking at the 558's and ADH2000's. The 558's seem like the more balanced headphone, so I'm leaning towards them. My source will either be iPod, iPad, Onkyo receiver or PC. I've been looking for a year now and can't take it any more. I neeeeeeeed to buy them so I can move on with life haha. If anyone has any better suggestions other than these two models at this price point, I'm all for recommendations.

I'm starting to understand the open vs closed design. I'd like to use them for travel too so I'm not sure if either of these models are a good fit. I only travel maybe once a month at the most so it's not a huge concern. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #15,788 of 29,490
Quote:

Receivers seem to be fairly decent at driving headphones.
Is the HD598 worth the extra $70 over the HD558s?, have no idea.
As the AKG Q701s are cheaper then the HD598, I would say go for the Q701s.
I do like my AKG K242HDs, Thomann in Europe sells them for $103.00 + $37.00 shipping, total $140.
You can order more stuff from Thomann and the shipping still stays at $37.00.
I order 5 items from Thomann, so my real cost for my H242HDs was around $115.
AKG K 240MKII are $135, not sure if any difference in audio quality with the K242HD.
I'm not with my HD558s and K242HD right now, so can not compare at the moment.

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #15,789 of 29,490
Quote:
Totally did not see this thread when I made a new thread and posted my question below. I listen to mainly hip hop, reggae, r&b. I'd also like to use them for a little PC gaming (SC2), and watching movies. If anyone can give me some advice, that would be great. 
Looking for my first set of "audiophile" headphones. Hoping to stay within the $250 - $350 price point. I've been looking at the 558's and ADH2000's. The 558's seem like the more balanced headphone, so I'm leaning towards them. My source will either be iPod, iPad, Onkyo receiver or PC. I've been looking for a year now and can't take it any more. I neeeeeeeed to buy them so I can move on with life haha. If anyone has any better suggestions other than these two models at this price point, I'm all for recommendations.
I'm starting to understand the open vs closed design. I'd like to use them for travel too so I'm not sure if either of these models are a good fit. I only travel maybe once a month at the most so it's not a huge concern. 

Sennheiser HD558s are open headphones, so while traveling, everyone hears your music and your hear everyone around you.
The Denon AH-D2000 are closed.

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #15,791 of 29,490
Quote:
Right, but I've read how the open are superior so I was leaning towards them. I don't travel too often. 

Open is usually better in a general way and I do prefer open myself.

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #15,793 of 29,490
Quote:
You like the 558's?

I do like my Sennheiser HD558s.
If all my other headphones disappeared and all I had left was my HD558s, I would get by just fine.
The only negative is the standard 1/4" plug, which is not a problem for me personally (and the HD558 does come with an 1/8" adapter).
As my Essence STX sound card and Yamaha RX-V671 A/V receiver both have 1/4" headphone jacks.
Rumor has it that Sennheiser will come out with a 1/8" jack cable, but it's just a rumor.

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #15,795 of 29,490
OK, here is my first line in this forum.

Looking to upgrade my worn Sennheiser HD215. They neither play as they used to, nor are they good enough. I think i managed to catch the perfection bug thanks to a friend of mine :D But anyway, here is what i'm looking for in general terms:

1) Full-sized closed headphones
2) I mostly listen to Rock/Metal, some Blues. No overly bassy eadphones.
3) I want to keep expenses under $200. Its an upgrade, not a full blown revolution.
4) The source for the music will be my laptop, and, if possible, i want to avoid any additional gear, such as amps.

At the moment, a lot of the boxes are ticked by Fischer Audio FA-003. but I am open to additional suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back