++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 24, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #15,751 of 29,490
I'm looking for an Amp (preferable not an AMP/DAC but I'm open) I will use it with my phone (Samsung Nexus) and with Mee M6's so what I'm looking for is:

Not noise pick up prone.
Thin but can be wide and long just not thick (the G Nexus is a big phone)
keeping budget in mind less then $200 preferable  around $100

I don't need a lot of extra features like DAC or EQ.

I do mostly Indy pop,rock and mellow tune's. Is there anything other then iBasso that fits?

R-

Jun 24, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #15,752 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for an Amp (preferable not an AMP/DAC but I'm open) I will use it with my phone (Samsung Nexus) and with Mee M6's so what I'm looking for is:
Not noise pick up prone.
Thin but can be wide and long just not thick (the G Nexus is a big phone)
keeping budget in mind less then $200 preferable  around $100
I don't need a lot of extra features like DAC or EQ.
I do mostly Indy pop,rock and mellow tune's. Is there anything other then iBasso that fits?

Fiio E11

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #15,753 of 29,490
Quote:

I really wouldn't consider the Q701 portable, unless you mean around the house. You may want to consider closed headphones? 

I mean as in portable going places outside of my house. I've been thinking about closed ones, sure they will block out more noise, but I also find it good be be able to e.g. navigate traffic or be able to hear people in my workplace (simply that I don't want to endager myself by removing my hearing completely).

total price around 330 Euros?

Yes, that sounds about right! :)

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #15,757 of 29,490
whats the best program or way to convert your 24 96 flac to 16 44.1/48 flac and dither(please say if necessary)?. im looking to do these batch conversions for my portable player but im pretty lost and i want the best quality from it.options i found so far (1)foobar with sox and izotope 4 plugin 2) izotope rx advanced (although it doesnt input flac 3) i heard that soundforge is good at inputing and outputting flac

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #15,758 of 29,490
Hey everybody. 

1. Closed (I dont want it to bleed to the point where my cube-mates can hear my music)
  2. $200 budget
  3. Mainly EDM music. (House/Trance/Techno)
  4. I'm using a Fiio E5 amp but I've been considering upgrading to something around the $100 range for amps
  5. It'll be connected to a computer 99% of the time
  6. Don't care about looks
  7. Comfortable enough to listen to 7 hours straight a day

I've considered the ATH-M50's or the H25-1's (multi use for DJing use too). I'd like to keep it to a $200 budget even though I can probably get better with more.

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #15,759 of 29,490
Quote:
whats the best program or way to convert your 24 96 flac to 16 44.1/48 flac and dither(please say if necessary)?. im looking to do these batch conversions for my portable player but im pretty lost and i want the best quality from it.options i found so far (1)foobar with sox and izotope 4 plugin 2) izotope rx advanced (although it doesnt input flac 3) i heard that soundforge is good at inputing and outputting flac

This isn't really the place, but I'm sure Foobar can do it for you just fine.

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #15,760 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey everybody. 

1. Closed (I dont want it to bleed to the point where my cube-mates can hear my music)
  2. $200 budget
  3. Mainly EDM music. (House/Trance/Techno)
  4. I'm using a Fiio E5 amp but I've been considering upgrading to something around the $100 range for amps
  5. It'll be connected to a computer 99% of the time
  6. Don't care about looks
  7. Comfortable enough to listen to 7 hours straight a day

I've considered the ATH-M50's or the H25-1's (multi use for DJing use too). I'd like to keep it to a $200 budget even though I can probably get better with more.

HD-25-ii seems like a good choice, and if you don't care about looks the plain version should be fine (vs. the Adidas one)
http://www.dakmart.com/p10974/SLD-SENNHEISER-HD25-1II-HD25-PROFESSIONAL-DJ-HEADPHONES/product_info.html
Dakmart is a hit or miss. Sometimes they will pick up the phone during store hours, sometimes you have to wait days. 

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #15,761 of 29,490
Quote:

Your post is in the wrong section and probably belongs here:

http://www.head-fi.org/f/46/computer-audio

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #15,762 of 29,490
Have previously owned a few $50-100 headphones, Beats By Dre Stuidos and my latest purchase Beats By Dre Pros which I just sold for $400.

The Pros did sound OK but they were way too uncomfortable so I couldn't use them for more than an hour at a time.

After doing some research I see that I can get much better headphones for $400 so I wanna know what you guys can recommend. I want a pair of headphones that:

- Cost around $400-500
- Sound better than Beats by Dre Pros
- Are comfortable
- They don't leak (as I use them around other people and sometimes at libraries)
- A plus if they look nice =D

A friend recommended akg k550 but they seem too big and after reading a few reviews apparently they leak too. I have already made a few bad choices that were really expensive when it comes to headphones so I really wanna get it right this time.

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #15,763 of 29,490
The only closed earphones I'd consider wearing for that long are the K550. They are a little out of your price range though. The HD25, M80 and DT1350 all murdered my ears after an hour, maybe two.

Have you considered iems? The RE262, VSonic GR07, GR01 and Westone 2 are all good deals at that price point.

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #15,764 of 29,490
If you are a basshead, get the Beyer Dynamic DT990. They have very strong and sub bass. 
In addition, the Denon D2000 is worth a look as well.

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #15,765 of 29,490
Looking not to spend over about 800 dollars, I think I've narrowed my choices down to a few things after reading the various useful threads around here. Headphones: Beyerdynamics DT880s at 600ohms - Beyerdynamics DT990s at 600ohms (leaning towards the 990s as I've heard at 600 ohms they are a superior headphone to the 880, despite the opposite being true when comparing the lower ohm version to the 600 ohm 880s) - Amps: Schitt Valhalla (My top choice as of now because the other options come in at about 100 dollars more, those being below) - Schitt Lyr - Elekit Tu882 - Around 90% of my listening is Hip-Hop, other genres that get occasional play are typically rock and rarely classical. They may also find use for movie viewings. I do not plan on using these for commuting. My source would be my computer, and therein lies my biggest issue. I have minitoslink out, and my music is ripped straight from the CD using the Foobar2000 on paranoid settings with the correct offsets to provide FLAC files. (I'm still in the process of converting many cds, so I do have a number of 320kbps MP3's as well.) So my main question lies in the need for a DAC. I could run a 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable straight from the computer to the amp, and let my computer handle the DAC work (using WASAPI in foobar, and I haven't been disappointed with any of the headphones I had on hand, though of course they're not even close to the quality of the above. I've seen DACs for priced anywhere from $40 dollars to fields way out of my budget. Is it worth it to grab a 40 dollar one cheapo and use that until I could upgrade to a different DAC (probably a good 6 months down the road). Should I even get one or just let my computer do it for now? Any other thoughts on the headphones or amp choices are welcome as well. I see all my formatting got messed up, sorry for the inconvenience of a wall of text.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back