++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #15,646 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks, the DT770 for sure where the ones I was looking into the most. And if I'm getting an amp, I might as well go for the 250 ohm versions.

Quick question, if I do get these (DT770 250ohm), would playing them like this [iPod/phone >> Stereo receiver(Mitsubishi DA-R11) >> Headphones] add any power or would I still need a dedicated headphone amp to fully power them?

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #15,647 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks, the DT770 for sure where the ones I was looking into the most. And if I'm getting an amp, I might as well go for the 250 ohm versions.

Quick question, if I do get these (DT770 250ohm), would playing them like this [iPod/phone >> Stereo receiver(Mitsubishi DA-R11) >> Headphones] add any power or would I still need a dedicated headphone amp to fully power them?

Unlike back in the days of my youth, modern receivers (especially A/V receivers) often deliver only limited driving power through their headphone jacks.  It could still be enough to drive the 250 Ohm DT 770 well.  I don't know your particular receiver (or even its vintage), so I can't give you an answer other than give it a try and see if it works.

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #15,648 of 29,490
Quote:

Unlike back in the days of my youth, modern receivers (especially A/V receivers) often deliver only limited driving power through their headphone jacks.  It could still be enough to drive the 250 Ohm DT 770 well.  I don't know your particular receiver (or even its vintage), so I can't give you an answer other than give it a try and see if it works.

Many thanks, I'll try to pick these up before the end of the month!

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #15,649 of 29,490
Hey All, I'm looking for a set of headphones that I can use both indoors and in public, meaning that I need good sound isolation and for them to be over-ear phones.

I looked into the Sennheiser 558's and I'm almost ready to buy them, but then someone told me that they leak a lot of noise being open and all, which I don't want, and is a shame cause the 558's seem like great phones. I need at least the sound isolation of my current little Solo Beats

From a previous post, i've looked into some other headphones, but only from Sennheiser (not for any particular reason - im open to other companies)
So then, when it comes to closed headphones, how do my other finds compare? For ease of comparison, saying that the 558's were a 10, what would the 449's and 439's be? And the 380's? Or does anyone else have a suggestion for a different company and headphone altogether that would be better?

http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/2876/43
http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/2875/43
http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/1241/13
http://v-moda.com/crossfade-lp/

Now I know that a lot of people apparently have been hating on the V-modas, as though they are the new Beats, however, this article gives me hope: http://www.head-fi.org/t/613371/vmoda-crossfade-lp-why-all-the-bad-reviews

My budget is a MAX of 300, and I listen to all genres of music, and I have a Creative Sound blaster card in my computer.

Any help would be appreciated, there's a lot of choices out there..

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #15,651 of 29,490
Quote:
Yeah well the reason why I don't want to plug into Onkyo is because people say most A/V receivers especielly Onkyo is useless driving headphones like HD650.

Now I'm using optical on the motherboard > Onkyo SR607.

So it's either getting some amp and plug it into USB on the computer
OR
Try what people say and buy an amp and plug it TV/TAPE out.

That is so weird, my Onkyo TX-SR606 seemed to drive my DT770 Pro 250-Ohm headphones just fine.

There are single tube headphone amplifier on eBay that can easily drive your 300-Ohm HD650 headphones.
Price are $50 to $130.
What kind of sound card do you currently have in your computer?
Use for music? movies? gaming?

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #15,652 of 29,490
Alright, I'm back for the sake of asking questions. The hardest decision I'm having to make now is what amp to get and whether I should get the Beyerdynamic dt 770 80 ohm or 250 ohm version.

I've heard that the FiiO e6 can drive the 80ohms fine but I don't know because it's such a cheap small amp. The only 2 I've really considered other than is a Fiio e7 or e11 The e7/11 I've heard can power the 250ohms great but I don't know if the sound quality will increase THAT much. I don't want to spend more than like $75 on an amp just because I'm just a fairly casual listener and not a dedicated audiophile.

Thank you!

Jun 21, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #15,653 of 29,490
Quote:
Alright, I'm back for the sake of asking questions. The hardest decision I'm having to make now is what amp to get and whether I should get the Beyerdynamic dt 770 80 ohm or 250 ohm version.
I've heard that the FiiO e6 can drive the 80ohms fine but I don't know because it's such a cheap small amp. The only 2 I've really considered other than is a Fiio e7 or e11 The e7/11 I've heard can power the 250ohms great but I don't know if the sound quality will increase THAT much. I don't want to spend more than like $75 on an amp just because I'm just a fairly casual listener and not a dedicated audiophile.

If your willing to spend the cash for an amp.(Fiio E11), then get the 250-Ohm version.
For your computer you can get the Asus Xonar DG , $23.99 with a $10 mail in rebate (23.99-10.0 = $13.99)
Better DAC then your computer's
and you can plug the E11 into it.
The Xonar DX ($50) has an even better DAC then the DG.

Jun 21, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #15,654 of 29,490
Quote:
That is so weird, my Onkyo TX-SR606 seemed to drive my DT770 Pro 250-Ohm headphones just fine.

There are single tube headphone amplifier on eBay that can easily drive your 300-Ohm HD650 headphones.
Price are $50 to $130.
What kind of sound card do you currently have in your computer?
Use for music? movies? gaming?

realtek integrated soundcard. But from what I know it doesnt matter what soundcard you have as long as you use optical.

But as I do have a Onkyo SR607 A/V reciever, is the DAC inside onkyo any good? meaning I will only need to invest in a headphone amp.. like Fiio e9 or something - if that will make it sound much better.

though I dont have my hd650 so I cant really try how it work directly into onkyo, but lots of people seem to say it aint good enough.

Jun 21, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #15,655 of 29,490
Quote:
If your willing to spend the cash for an amp.(Fiio E11), then get the 250-Ohm version.
For your computer you can get the Asus Xonar DG , $23.99 with a $10 mail in rebate (23.99-10.0 = $13.99)
Better DAC then your computer's
and you can plug the E11 into it.
The Xonar DX ($50) has an even better DAC then the DG.

Those sound cards are some options I haven't yet looked at but seem like a good idea. Thank you!

Jun 21, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #15,657 of 29,490
Hi all i need some advice for my first headphone setup. I want to have a system that is good for gaming and also for music listening. My budget is around 800€ and my sources are windows laptop and sony walkman z. I prefer to have DAC/amp combo, what i have in mind right now is the Yulong D100.

As for the headphones, i want an open can and  based on the gaming hp guide thread i am considering to go with AKG Q701 or the ultrasone pro 2900. I listened to all genre besides heavy metal, my fav band/singer are: Radiohead, Coldplay, John Mayer, Jason Mraz  and sometimes i listened to J-rock too.

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #15,658 of 29,490
im in a similar situation.listen to the same bandss.my choices after looking on head fi were brough down to Audio technica ath ad700, allessandro ms1 or audio technica ad m50s.was also considering getting a j3 or z2

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #15,659 of 29,490
Hi,
I need some help buying new full size headphones as my last attempt to do it on my own did not go so well. I bought the AD700 but they were much too random in how they sounded on different songs. Some sounded excellent, others sounded like total garbage. So now I'm selling them and looking for headphones that are as comfortable (The AD700's were the first full size headphones I could handle wearing for more than a half hour) but sound better. I listen to a wide range of music but I'd like the headphones to be able to handle classic rock like Pink Floyd, Prog rock such as Dream Theater, and some electronic like Infected Mushroom. My ears are also pretty sensitive to treble if that's helpful. Budget is $100 - $250 but less is more ideal so I can have more money towards an amp (currently running headphones through my Sherwood Rx-4105 receivers headphone jack). I have no issue with buying used. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back